hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar

Chick Youngs View

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9063905.stm

IMO a very good piece from an otherwise tool of a man.

Especially this bit:-

And it wasn't his fault that the board couldn't weather the supporters' storm.

Frankly, I find the impatience of boards and fans to be utterly over the top, a modern phenomenon spawned by the buy-and-bin philosophy of a world now seemingly incapable of waiting for a bus far less the evolution of a football club.

Chairman Rod Petrie, who tends to be allergic to media interviews, has promised the club's shareholders at their annual meeting that they will take their time to make the right appointment

Fair enough. But is that not what he should have done in the first place?

My faith in Hibs appointing the right man is low. My faith in our 'support' giving him an environment in which he can flourish (especially if things start off slowly) is non existant.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    who cares what that bluenose knob says

Left by mutual consent!
    The bit about he should have got the right one the first time is in hindsight and just utter pish anyone could write.

The fans wanted yogi, if rp appointed someone else and they were gash we'd be moaning that we never got yogi.

There's no doubt for me this next appointment is the biggest for years now that everything else is in place.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    The mans a tool

The bottom line is we have been playing keech for months and losing for months. The decision wasn't rash, it was overdue.

A manager that is good enough will get time, it's not rocket science and it aint the fans fault either, thats just an easy way out for people not to do things properly.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The bit about he should have got the right one the first time is in hindsight and just utter pish anyone could write.

The fans wanted yogi, if rp appointed someone else and they were gash we'd be moaning that we never got yogi.

There's no doubt for me this next appointment is the biggest for years now that everything else is in place.

The "next appointment" - why do I get the feeling we will be going through this whole thing again in around 12 months.

As mych as Chick Young usually spouts nonsense, I completely agree with him, which will come as no supprise if you look through my previous posts, I did not want Yogi to go.

I think this season he was probably working towards big changes at the club, hence all the run down contracts. His success in his first season should have allowed him a year to work up to shaping his team. The money he generated from signing Stokes for our board to sell should have in part been given back for the half year transfer / summer transfer.

Year one - 4th place, europe, and made the club over £1m - how that is bad I will never know.

But no, panic stations, AGM coming up, a few people booing and lets just rip the plug out, that will get the board through one awkward evening - are we really in a better place now than we were on Sunday night? Will we be in a better place in 1 weeks time? If the penalty against ICT, or one of the De Graff chances had gone in would he be away? We would be two points of third even when playing badly with a harder run of games - I dont think he would be.

The line is a fine one, it is even finer if you manage Hibs it would seem.

I believe Yogi had a view as to how he wanted to build the team over the next 1-2 seasons, I am disappointed that the board did not show the faith I think he earned the season before.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post

Especially this bit:-.

Frankly, I find the impatience of boards and fans to be utterly over the top, a modern phenomenon spawned by the buy-and-bin philosophy of a world now seemingly incapable of waiting for a bus far less the evolution of a football club.

That's fine for Chick Young to say but if Hibs get relegated because our manager has not performed as hoped for, he still gets to report on HIbs in the first division while it costs our club millions of pounds.
    This has not been an over reaction to a poor start to this season but to reults and performnces for the whole of 2010. We have been on a steady decline since the turn of the year and despite numerous new signings during the summer transfer window, we were still tumbling down the league.
    It's easy to say 'give the manager time' but who was going to pay the cost of relegation if it happened? certainly NOT Chick Young that's for sure.

Maybe if we had a 16 or 18 team league again where clubs have a bit more breathing space, managers would be afforded more time to turn things round, unfortunately in the present set up, managers don't have that luxury.

Let's see if he still holds that opinion next season if the 'cheeky chappy' sends the sons of darkness down the table.
    Last edited by MB62; 06-10-2010 at 01:57 PM.

First Team Breakthrough emmjayfox's Avatar
    chick wasnt the one forking out good money to watch that gash every other week.

I don't understand this finance vs success argument that people keep going on about (people like Chick Young who have no grasp of what actually goes on outside the OF). Petrie backed Collins to splash the cash on duds, he backed Mixu to outbid others for Murray, Nish and Riordan and he backed Hughes to get players like Stokes and Miller. All of those managers were given greater backing than any other non-OF team (bar the crazies at Tynie) by a mile. It's not the board's fault if the managers fluffed their lines*. Hibs are not, as Chick says, "flush" with cash, so lets end this nonsense.

*I understand that the article is more about the decision to sack Yogi than hibs' unwillingness to spend money, this is more in response to the crap that has been spouted by him, and others, in the media and on here in the last few days.
    Last edited by patlowe; 06-10-2010 at 01:55 PM.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    He does sometimes come out with some entertaining stuff but deep down the guy is an idiot.

"John Hughes, it seemed to me, looked equipped with the tools of the management job."

And for this reason Chick Young thinks that Hughes should still be out using his tools at East Mains.

I don't think so!

First Team Breakthrough
    The comments about RP being "allergic" to doing inverviews just makes Chick Young look bitter that he (and his other journalist pals) get no inside scoop from Hibs. The fact RP runs a very tight ship and does not spray nonense in every paper, radio or tv interview just makes these guys annoyed at the way Hibs are run and they end up having to make up there own stories about Hibs. They get nowt from inside the club so they manufacture tosh that people often believe. It's a shame someone who is as big a diddy as Chick Young can be heard and more importantly BELIEVED so much. That's the press though, if they just wrote what they knew the paper would be rather empty and nobody would buy it.

Chick Young knows as much as me about what's happening behind the scenes at Hibs - i.e. NOTHING.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    The "next appointment" - why do I get the feeling we will be going through this whole thing again in around 12 months.

As mych as Chick Young usually spouts nonsense, I completely agree with him, which will come as no supprise if you look through my previous posts, I did not want Yogi to go.

I think this season he was probably working towards big changes at the club, hence all the run down contracts. His success in his first season should have allowed him a year to work up to shaping his team. The money he generated from signing Stokes for our board to sell should have in part been given back for the half year transfer / summer transfer.

Year one - 4th place, europe, and made the club over £1m - how that is bad I will never know.

But no, panic stations, AGM coming up, a few people booing and lets just rip the plug out, that will get the board through one awkward evening - are we really in a better place now than we were on Sunday night? Will we be in a better place in 1 weeks time? If the penalty against ICT, or one of the De Graff chances had gone in would he be away? We would be two points of third even when playing badly with a harder run of games - I dont think he would be.

I believe Yogi had a view as to how he wanted to build the team over the next 1-2 seasons, I am disappointed that the board did not show the faith I think he earned the season before.
    thank god the board never kept the faith we would be in 2nd division in 2year

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Utter sheeyite: -

State-of-the-art training complexes and impressive new grandstands are all very well, but the pressing need is to put a winning team on the pitch.
    The alternative is like building an ocean-going super-yacht in the middle of the desert.

It is, you might argue, the lesser of two evils given that those who run Dundee have acted like hapless idiots, dragging the club down the road to oblivion.

The lesser of two evils, with the other being the club going out of business? Right then. God forbid we should have a solid infrastructure in place that every future manager can benefit from, rather than risk letting one p!ss it up against the wall and ruin it for his successors. Oh and Stokes and Miller weren't cheap, there are no grumbles with the wage bill, which is technically too high.

I know for a fact that Gordon Chisholm and Billy Dodds found reality to be some distance from the temptation they thought they were yielding to when they quit Queen of the South for Tayside.

An accusation that can never be levelled at the Hibs board, the realities and criteria for a new manager are always clearly laid out.

John Hughes, it seemed to me, looked equipped with the tools of the management job.
    Fan power won in the end. It usually does.

No it didn't - I supported Yogi for as long as he was at the club, but the St. Johnstone game was the point that I lost all faith in him - a man who refuses to make subs when the team is losing and playing poorly, is a man who is waiting for a miracle to happen, not a man with a plan. Whilst some supporters made their feelings clear over the last few games, attendances were still not too bad and it was hardly fan power that pushed him out the door - though things definitely would only have gotten worse, had the slide continued.

It can't all be the fault of the now unemployed John Hughes. It wasn't his decision to flog Anthony Stokes to Celtic as the transfer window slammed shut with no hope of a suitable replacement.

Should've read what Rod said this morning, Numbnuts.

Chairman Rod Petrie, who tends to be allergic to media interviews, has promised the club's shareholders at their annual meeting that they will take their time to make the right appointment.

What a hypocritical little ***** - Chick Young and his like have a job for these very reasons. And to suggest that time wasn't taken to prior to appointing Yogi or any other recent manager is insulting. And why on earth should RP give interviews - surely a product of the modern game that CY despises so much is the media profile of many CEOs and Chairmen who should really stay behind the desk, like Rod does?

GTF Young
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 06-10-2010 at 02:27 PM.

First Team Breakthrough ulises_trotter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post

State-of-the-art training complexes and impressive new grandstands are all very well, but the pressing need is to put a winning team on the pitch.
    The alternative is like building an ocean-going super-yacht in the middle of the desert.

It is, you might argue, the lesser of two evils given that those who run Dundee have acted like hapless idiots, dragging the club down the road to oblivion.

The lesser of two evils, with the other being the club going out of business? Right then. God forbid we should have a solid infrastructure in place that every future manager can benefit from, rather than risk letting one p!ss it up against the wall and ruin it for his successors. Oh and Stokes and Miller weren't cheap, there are no grumbles with the wage bill, which is technically too high.

I know for a fact that Gordon Chisholm and Billy Dodds found reality to be some distance from the temptation they thought they were yielding to when they quit Queen of the South for Tayside.

An accusation that can never be levelled at the Hibs board, the realities and criteria for a new manager are always clearly laid out.

John Hughes, it seemed to me, looked equipped with the tools of the management job.

No it didn't - I supported Yogi for as long as he was at the club, but the St. Johnstone game was the point that I lost all faith in him - a man who refuses to make subs when the team is losing and playing poorly, is a man who is waiting for a miracle to happen, not a man with a plan. Whilst some supporters made their feelings clear over the last few games, attendances were still not too bad and it was hardly fan power that pushed him out the door - though things definitely would only have gotten worse, had the slide continued.

It can't all be the fault of the now unemployed John Hughes. It wasn't his decision to flog Anthony Stokes to Celtic as the transfer window slammed shut with no hope of a suitable replacement.

Chairman Rod Petrie, who tends to be allergic to media interviews, has promised the club's shareholders at their annual meeting that they will take their time to make the right appointment.

What a hypocritical little ***** - Chick Young and his like have a job for these very reasons. And to suggest that time wasn't taken to prior to appointing Yogi or any other recent manager is insulting. And why on earth should RP give interviews - surely a product of the modern game that CY despises so much is the media profile of many CEOs and Chairmen who should really stay behind the desk, like Rod does?

GTF Young

exactly my thoughts...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by alex74 View Post
    thank god the board never kept the faith we would be in 2nd division in 2year
    Dont think so.

@hibs.net private member
    I have no doubt this is correct AH. If the new man does not improve results then he too will be leaving. If he does well chick dung and others will have him moving to every managerial vacancy from the top half of English Div 1 upwards.

First Team Breakthrough
    Dont think so.
    well a better get my shoes on and get down to specksavers obviously i have been watching something else

First Team Breakthrough littleplum's Avatar
    Hang on.

"John Hughes, it seemed to me, looked equipped with the tools of the management job."

Then 2 paragraphs later he says:

"...they will take their time to make the right appointment.

Fair enough. But is that not what he should have done in the first place?"

So John Hughes was the right man, but RP should have taken longer to find the right man?

It's one, the other, or neither, Chick. Not both.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

He is gone, get over it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alex74 View Post
    well a better get my shoes on and get down to specksavers obviously i have been watching something else
    Definitely no relation to Andy then?

GTF Young

GTF Young
    what he said!

I've kind of stuck up for Chick in the past but I can't defend him on this article. He seems to blame the supporters for pressurising the board, yet if he was a Hibs fan watching Hibs win, is it four in thirty odd games, you can bet your bottom dollar he would be complaining too. Is it me or do those people like Chick who don't pay to come and see Hibs week in week out have a misplaced assumption that they have the right to knock fans for helping oust a manager who has clearly failed at ER? Chick needs to get real. For whatever reason, Yogi failed. The board gave him a chance and ultimately it backfired. He assumes the board can't be trusted to appoint a successful successor (he he). I might go along with him on that one and surely this has to be as much a test of the board as any new manager, no?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    andy who

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emmjayfox View Post
    chick wasnt the one forking out good money to watch that gash every other week.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

we know its you chipper

Blog Entries
    ....I think this season he was probably working towards big changes at the club, hence all the run down contracts. His success in his first season should have allowed him a year to work up to shaping his team. The money he generated from signing Stokes for our board to sell should have in part been given back for the half year transfer / summer transfer....
    From another thread, these are the players out of contract in the summer or January:

Riordan
    Miller
    Bamba
    Zemmama
    McBride
    Galbraith
    Smith
    Stack
    Dickoh
    Duffy
    Trakys
    Thicot
    Rankin
    Nish
    Hogg
    Grounds

Well over half signed by Yogi. This suggests (to me anyway) that his reshaping of the team was well underway, but being managed in what would seem at face value to be bizarre.

Equally, if this was the football plan/strategy for the club, and this was how it was discussed and presumably agreed with the board, then he was relieved because it patently wasnt working and/or the board had little or no faith in his ability to deliver it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    From another thread, these are the players out of contract in the summer or January:

Riordan
    Miller
    Bamba
    Zemmama
    McBride
    Galbraith
    Smith
    Stack
    Dickoh
    Duffy
    Trakys
    Thicot
    Rankin
    Nish
    Hogg
    Grounds

Well over half signed by Yogi. This suggests (to me anyway) that his reshaping of the team was well underway, but being managed in what would seem at face value to be bizarre.

Equally, if this was the football plan/strategy for the club, and this was how it was discussed and presumably agreed with the board, then he was relieved because it patently wasnt working and/or the board had little or no faith in his ability to deliver it.
    tiptop

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricla View Post

Especially this bit:-

Chairman Rod Petrie, who tends to be allergic to media interviews, has promised the club's shareholders at their annual meeting that they will take their time to make the right appointment

My faith in Hibs appointing the right man is low. My faith in our 'support' giving him an environment in which he can flourish (especially if things start off slowly) is non existant.
    IMO a press release from Yogi, tidied up by Chick's PA, and presented as journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    Chick Young is a tool so why would anyone want to listen to what he says.