hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar

I don't get this big outpouring of sympathy

There's been many comments on a few threads with fans sympathising with Yogi on his departure. This seems to be a change of attitude now that he has gone because several polls on here recently were big style in favour of the man going.
    I have to say, I have absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever as basically, he was a failure in the job.
    I don't wish the man any ill will, and whatever else, he is still a Hibs fan like the rest of us, but to feel sorry for him for not doing the job to an acceptable level results wise, I just don't get it.

Let's remember when Yogi first took the job on at ER he made no bones about wanting to manage in the engerlish Championship or Premiership and would have left us if given the chance. Of course this would have meant he would have made a success of the Hibs job and we would all have been delighted, however, this didn't happen and the other side of the coin is failure and the boot, which is what happened.

His record as manager in 2010 is shocking and whilst he qualified for Europe, I still feel this was more by good fortune than good management.
    In the last few weeks he had more than one pop at the fans re his comments of 'they know nothing about fitba' and the football people at the club know what I am trying to do' etc.

Sorry Yogi, you were given a chance to do what every HIbs supporter would love to do, but you didn't do it well enough. Possibly your hands were tied a bit in the transfer market but again you knew that when you took the job and you are no different to any other manager outside the OF in the SPL.

I am not going to jump for joy at somebody losing their job but if he had been any good at it, he wouldn't have lost it in the first place.

Sympathy! Nah, not from me, but happy to see you back at ER with your Hibs scarf on Yogi.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's been many comments on a few threads with fans sympathising with Yogi on his departure. This seems to be a change of attitude now that he has gone because several polls on here recently were big style in favour of the man going.
    I have to say, I have absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever as basically, he was a failure in the job.
    I don't wish the man any ill will, and whatever else, he is still a Hibs fan like the rest of us, but to feel sorry for him for not doing the job to an acceptable level results wise, I just don't get it.

Let's remember when Yogi first took the job on at ER he made no bones about wanting to manage in the engerlish Championship or Premiership and would have left us if given the chance. Of course this would have meant he would have made a success of the Hibs job and we would all have been delighted, however, this didn't happen and the other side of the coin is failure and the boot, which is what happened.

His record as manager in 2010 is shocking and whilst he qualified for Europe, I still feel this was more by good fortune than good management.
    In the last few weeks he had more than one pop at the fans re his comments of 'they know nothing about fitba' and the football people at the club know what I am trying to do' etc.

Sorry Yogi, you were given a chance to do what every HIbs supporter would love to do, but you didn't do it well enough. Possibly your hands were tied a bit in the transfer market but again you knew that when you took the job and you are no different to any other manager outside the OF in the SPL.

I am not going to jump for joy at somebody losing their job but if he had been any good at it, he wouldn't have lost it in the first place.

Sympathy! Nah, not from me, but happy to see you back at ER with your Hibs scarf on Yogi.
    Yeah, I agree. It's been a bit like eliminations from the X-Factor, or a particularly sugary edition of Oprah.

I wish Yogi well for the future, and have said so on here. But some of the hand-wringing and greeting has been well over the top. The guy was a failure, endof.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He was a failure in the end, but he did give us a 4th place finish, and a European qualification. We have high standards these days.

First Team Breakthrough HibeePaj's Avatar
    i have sympathy for yogi, but the sympathy is for the fact that it never worked out for him here. I think the majority of hibs fans were happy with the decision that he was appointed the job and the majority were also happy that he left. I don't think they sympathise that 'he wasn't given enough time' or 'its only the start of the season'.

Im quite sure i speak for alot of fans when i say that i feel sorry for john hughes for the fact that he was unsuccessful at the club he loves.

paget

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I have a lot of sympathy for anyone that tries their best in a job but, for whatever reason, it doesn't work.

Lack of effort is a different story, but I don't think Yogi could be accused of that.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeePaj View Post
    i have sympathy for yogi, but the sympathy is for the fact that it never worked out for him here. I think the majority of hibs fans were happy with the decision that he was appointed the job and the majority were also happy that he left. I don't think they sympathise that 'he wasn't given enough time' or 'its only the start of the season'.

Im quite sure i speak for alot of fans when i say that i feel sorry for john hughes for the fact that he was unsuccessful at the club he loves.

paget

I was happy with his appointment as at the time he was a much loved former captain with his heart on his sleeve and Hibs in his blood. I was desperate for him to succeed.
    I like him and do feel sympathy that it never worked out here.

In light of that I am in no doubt that he had to go as his failings in the post were draining the life out of the club and supporters.

Testimonial Due

Did it ever cross your mind that they may be comments from fans who did not want yogi to go? Believe it or not we were not all calling for his head.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion Hibs View Post
    Did it ever cross your mind that they may be comments from fans who did not want yogi to go? Believe it or not we were not all calling for his head.
    Nope, never crossed my mind. I gave the Hibs support more credit than burying heads in the sand.
    Shirley nobody could accept what we had to watch week after week after week thinking things would change.

Coaching Staff
    It's called human decency is it not?

Left by mutual consent!

I think it's very simple, everybodys different so based on that I dont see how you don't get it, those people obviously feel different from you. Stating his record has nothing to do with it some are unhappy it didnt work out better, some did not like him, some thought ok, some thought great, totally understandable why there are threads of sympathy on here that he has gone.

Yogi the manager/man

never ever have rated him and have said so many times on this site .
    Even as Falkirk Manager I saw a nasty side of him by giving his so called fellow Hibees the V and GIRUY signs to us in the Lower West when this team came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 .
    I for one wont be shedding any crocodile tears for him .
    i will feel sorry for him in losing his job that he so much wanted but he was over promoted in my opinion and the Board must carry the can for appointing him in the first place .

paget
    Could not have put it better, although I thought Hughes was reasonable appointment last year and I myself would have given him a bit longer. Realise this is prorbably a minority view and I accept as he had probably lost support of majority of fans it was almost certainly time for him to go. Like Paatelanien's departure (whom I always saw as a yes-man Petrie appointment) take no pleasure in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by maturehibby View Post
    never ever have rated him and have said so many times on this site .
    Even as Falkirk Manager I saw a nasty side of him by giving his so called fellow Hibees the V and GIRUY signs to us in the Lower West when this team came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 .
    I for one wont be shedding any crocodile tears for him .
    i will feel sorry for him in losing his job that he so much wanted but he was over promoted in my opinion and the Board must carry the can for appointing him in the first place .
    Not really sure can make judgement based on one reaction when managing another club.

First Team Breakthrough CabbageFan's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: whatdoesntdie86 PSN ID: ConstantStatic86 Wii Code: 6627-7688-6432-9414
    Is this really called for? The majority of the fans wanted him to go - yes and in the end he has left, and he has left in the best interest of the club in the hope that someone can come in and turn it around for us. He tried his best and did not succeed and I for one wanted him to be a success as the Hibs manager. If you were a die hard hibbie managing the club, would you not yourself wish that you could do the best you could then be gutted that it didnt work out?

Why not have sympathy for the man? No he shouldnt have stayed and had longer to turn it around but I still feel sorry him.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Both Yogi and Mixu left the club with a great deal of dignity IMO, more than can be said for the many who hurled vile abuse at them over the years.

I don't think it is sympathy being expressed I think it is respect for a man who gave his everything in the job but just came up short, recognised that and left in a professional manner.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Both Yogi and Mixu left the club with a great deal of dignity IMO, more than can be said for the many who hurled vile abuse at them over the years.

I don't think it is sympathy being expressed I think it is respect for a man who gave his everything in the job but just came up short, recognised that and left in a professional manner.
    Well said.

Thankfully there has been more goodwill from many posters in this mean spirited thread.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure you weren't down your neck of the woods.

LTYF

@hibs.net private member Bookkeeper's Avatar

paget
    Says it all for me too!

@hibs.net private member Manxhibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: purehibee
    I was massively in favour in Yogi getting punted/leaving and now its happened I am optimistic we will move up the table. That doesnt mean I am not gutted for Yogi that it didnt work out, he is hibs through and through and just because he can not manage doesnt mean he doesnt deserve sympathy.

I was neither for or against Yogi when he was appointed. For what its worth, i don't see a lot of sympathy for him, just some folk saying thanks. Most think the right decision was made, but wish him well in the future.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo

I agree with views and as I have said in another thread I was over the moon when I recieved a text from a mate telling me he was no longer the manager.

My only concern is the team moving forward under a new manager and getting points on the board.

Testimonial Due
    Nope, never crossed my mind. I gave the Hibs support more credit than burying heads in the sand.
    Shirley nobody could accept what we had to watch week after week after week thinking things would change.
    Had us finish 4th in the league, qualify for europe, and landed Hibs £1m for the sale of a player he brought in. I would suggest there was a fair amount to be thankful for during his short stint at Hibs - but then again I cant speak for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It's called human decency is it not?
    Agreed mate, whilst Yogi was in charge I gave him my support just like I will the next manager. Whilst there is no way he will read the crap that gets written on here, his friends/family may - you never know. He will be about as sore as can be right now, was it not bad enought the abuse he got when he was at the club that some are still intent on handing it out?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    I'm sure you weren't down your neck of the woods.

LTYF

Your a fool mate, why dont you do one.
    Last edited by Albion Hibs; 05-10-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Cut it out please ..

While my overriding feeling is one of relief, it is not nice when anyone loses their job, especially a good Hibby.

Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    While my overriding feeling is one of relief, it is not nice when anyone loses their job, especially a good Hibby.
    I never feel sorry for guys like Yogi when they lose their jobs, they have been well paid and usually walk away with a healthy pay off.

Reserve sympathy for the thousands of workers being made redundant these days and walk away with a pittance.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He was a failure in the end, but he did give us a 4th place finish, and a European qualification. We have high standards these days.
    He also gave us the worst home run EVER in our history.
    Although I wanted him gone, because I didn't think he was up to it, I really wanted him to prove me and others wrong.
    I take no joy in his failure because it is also a failure of the team and the club as a whole, but it was the right decision...albeit a tad late IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by erskine-hibby View Post
    He also gave us the worst home run EVER in our history.
    Although I wanted him gone, because I didn't think he was up to it, I really wanted him to prove me and others wrong.
    I take no joy in his failure because it is also a failure of the team and the club as a whole, but it was the right decision...albeit a tad late IMHO.
    Thats why i said in the end he failed, but he did have some success which i and others choose not to ignore.

Well done mate.

Felt like posting this myself last night or commenting on one of the other threads but didnt want to ruin the vibe for the Yogi love in that was going on.

Fair dues, Yogi is a nice guy and down to earth but he deserved to lose his job and that is the long and short of it Im afraid.

If people thought Yogi might read Hibs.net and these threads would cheer him up or something, then Im afraid you may be a little deluded as I am sure if it was me I would find it more than a little patronising.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy1875 View Post

Well done mate.

Felt like posting this myself last night or commenting on one of the other threads but didnt want to ruin the vibe for the Yogi love in that was going on.

Fair dues, Yogi is a nice guy and down to earth but he deserved to lose his job and that is the long and short of it Im afraid.

If people thought Yogi might read Hibs.net and these threads would cheer him up or something, then Im afraid you may be a little deluded as I am sure if it was me I would find it more than a little patronising.
    Its not about that it is about showing a little respect. It is possible friends and family may read - you goons did enough Yogi bashing when he was here - you have you wish, he is gone - how about you get a life and give it a rest.

Blog Entries
    Its not about that it is about showing a little respect. It is possible friends and family may read - you goons did enough Yogi bashing when he was here - you have you wish, he is gone - how about you get a life and give it a rest.
    Goons now are we?

Hmmm

LTYF

Some people were delighted he was in charge, others weren't - fairly obvious to me who's in which camp....