hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries

The New Manager Mega Thread - Please Post Rumours In Here

John Collins - Hibs most successful manager in the last 19 years, can he be persuaded to return.

What would it take?
    Last edited by Mikey; 08-10-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Changed thread title

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs most successful manager in the last 19 years, can he be persuaded to return.

What would it take?
    No chance.

Though the mistake was losing him in the first place. Most of our current problems can be traced to the Board backing the players over him.

Coaching Staff
    A board that matches his ambition and players who are willing to commit to being an athlete/professional sportsman ahead of other things. Both are in short supply at ER.

Hibs most successful manager in the last 19 years, can he be persuaded to return.

What would it take?
    I would love JC to return.
    I think it would put the tin lid on this mythical golden age that has sprung up around his last incumbency. Yet in a way I would love to be proved wrong about him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel

What would it take?
    maybe Alex Miller could come back?

Quote Originally Posted by RickyS View Post
    maybe Alex Miller could come back?
    I couldn't compare the two of them.

I don't want to sound wise after the event but it always should have been JC's way or the highway...regardless of who got emptied.

He was an ex-player but he was a cold(as far as the club was concerned), calculated winner.

Bring JC back and let him bin the slackers to a man...whoever they are...and lets go down that road!

We might just stay up!

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd like to see the Board invest for the long term on the playing side, Alex Miller as Director of Coaching taking control of East Mains and offering advice to the manager, his former protege John Collins.

It would be good to see both of them brought back.

JC as Manager with Alex Miller as mentor/Director of Football.

I think that this combination would put together a team that is hard working, difficult to break down and play attractive football when it matters , not rying to play the ' Barcelona ' way when they cant.

The benefit of bringing these guys back would see a better level of professionalism within the players and a greater work ethic. Married with the talent they already have and playing in a disciplined manner would easily see Hibs move up what is essentially a middle of the road league.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Has everyone forgotten exactly how pish we were playing by the time Collins left?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

For me John Collins was a poor manager who made too many duff signings like morais obrien gattheusi donaldson joneleit makalambay etc

There were plenty occasions when he got his shape all wrong and you could literally see him standing looking at tommy craig saying 'what do I do here?'

Tommy Craig then went away to st mirren (courier scored with back heel in 2-1 loss iirc) and DIDN'T play with a right midfielder - one of the most shocking decisions I have ever seen someone in charge make.

both of them should stay far away from ER. hibs need an older leader, someone a bit more cynical and detached from 'the boys'

I'm probs thinking Bruce rioch Craig brown or probs someone like Lexi miller

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    and by "we" you mean a bunch of players that were in revolt and trying to get their manager sacked. Little wonder that the football was not the best. I would consider giving jc another shot with a new bunch of players, he had the right philosophy for the game

His signings were atrocious and we were murder by the time he left, I wouldnt take him back.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: asbo
    I dont believe ex Hibs players make good Hibs manager and when Yogi is moved on going back and asking JC to take charge again is not a forward moved for us.

His time has passed lets leave it that way

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    After the disgraceful way the board and the players treated him last time, i'd expect him to give us the finger.

He won't be back at Hibs. And who can blame him.

Surely this must be a major wind-up, JC was absolutely useless as were his signings, i don`t see any other clubs clamouring after him as a manager, as for Alex Miller if you want to drive even more fans away from over priced football then he is your man, why don`t we just go all the way and have Jim Duffy in charge of future transfers.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    and by "we" you mean a bunch of players that were in revolt and trying to get their manager sacked. Little wonder that the football was not the best. I would consider giving jc another shot with a new bunch of players, he had the right philosophy for the game
    Yogi has the right philosophy too...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Surely this must be a major wind-up, JC was absolutely useless as were his signings, i don`t see any other clubs clamouring after him as a manager, as for Alex Miller if you want to drive even more fans away from over priced football then he is your man, why don`t we just go all the way and have Jim Duffy in charge of future transfers.

Nothing against JC as a person, thought he had great ideas and a fantastic vision for the club, however the team he left behind was atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post

And bring back Chic Charnley as well!

In all seriousness, I think what JC wanted to achieve at Hibs was the right thing. He wanted to change the team to be fitter and much more professional, to want to play in an attractive manner. However, most of his signings were indeed duds but I'm not sure if that was because he wasn't a good judge of player or if he wasn't backed financially, so couldn't afford any better.

And if we don't like Yogi's press conferences, let's not forget the most cringeworthy one I've ever seen where Collins was being prompted by Tommy Craig for his answers. Still sends shivers down my spine.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    Has everyone forgotten exactly how pish we were playing by the time Collins left?
    a lot of people seem to have forgot that

Collins got off to a good start, but when the consequences of his pathetic transfer market dealings (the worst since Duffy) and his abject lack of skill in man-management caused a collapse in performance he walked away. He also quit Charleroi so doesn't seem prepared to take on a long-term project.

The team was in roughly the same mess when he left as it is now. People who want him back seem only to remember the early part of his reign.

@hibs.net private member
    I think that can be pretty much put down to the fact the manager had no influence on the team at that point. After the board sided with the players, the players power in the dressing room got stronger and Collins power diminished.

Would rather we went for someone with no connections to the club...

Chris Coleman, McParland, Shabby (but already found a job) (many others)

However I wouldnt mind Mowbray back (tin hat at ready). Wouldnt take Collins after what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    I'd like to see the Board invest for the long term on the playing side, Alex Miller as Director of Coaching taking control of East Mains and offering advice to the manager, his former protege John Collins.
    I can't find the smillie but that pair in charge would have me salivating at the mouth.

Come on Petrie, you know it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Would rather we went for someone with no connections to the club...

Chris Coleman, McParland, Shabby (but already found a job) (many others)

However I wouldnt mind Mowbray back (tin hat at ready). Wouldnt take Collins after what happened.
    Never knew he'd gone to Charleroi too. Looks like he's had two games in charge against lower league opposition: one home defeat and one away draw.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    I would appointa performance director to enusure EAst Mains is getting used properly and ever player is working to improve thier game.

I dont know if you had to suffer the lexo years. Boring negative the list is endless. Use to play 6 defenders in his team.

Drove plenty punters away from ER.

Gave his sons contracts and game time when they were never going to make it.

Crunchie summed it up when he left................I was fed up getting asked to play right back.

Yes he won a cup. But its what you do week in week out counts.

First Team Breakthrough
    correct

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    JC had the right vision for us? I could manage Hibs if they gave me enough money to buy players like Barry Robson and Steven Naysmith.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    JC had the right vision for us? I could manage Hibs if they gave me enough money to buy players like Barry Robson and Steven Naysmith.

Spot on BH and TBH would rather have 2 quality players then 6 pish ones. I dont know if the Naismith thing was a stunt however it creates a wee bit of positivity about the club.

At the moment we are in free fall and anyone would be better than Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    But would you be able to complain about not getting support for your vision, then walk out, when the board insists on restricting you to a budget which won't bankrupt the club?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    But would you be able to complain about not getting support for your vision, then walk out, when the board insists on restricting you to a budget which won't bankrupt the club?
    I wouldn't, but know a man that would.