• yes

160 61.30%
  • no

101 38.70%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking poll

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Smoking poll

Do you think Hibs should let us smokers out at half time for a smoke and keep everybody happy ?

I say yes, as it's so easy to keep everybody happy, just open one door and put one steward at the gates coming into the ground. would stop all the non smokers breathing our smoke in the toilets etc..

Simples
    Last edited by Last Minute; 13-09-2010 at 12:54 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

No harm done... YES.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Cant be hard to control, 3 stewards tops?
    If it keeps my fellow hibees happy im in favour of it
    Hibernian Football Club

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Should be easy enough for a couple of stewards to handle ,
    It's a YES from me !
    Never one to laugh at others misfortune but today could only have been improved by rangers getting horsed and God pissing down a meteor shower of fifty pound notes on Edinburgh

Copyright BadMartini Wed 27th Jan 2010

Who voted no and why? Can't see any reason for not allowing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who voted no and why? Can't see any reason for not allowing it.

Calumhibee 1, col 02, siralbert kidd, slick shoes, spudster.

maybe they will tell us why?

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    the precedent was set at the Rangers game when it worked without any problems.

no,just do without till the games finished like everybody else who's at the game

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    no,just do without till the games finished like everybody else who's at the game
    they dont though do they. i'm always reading complaints on here about people smoking in the toilets. which isn't fair on others.

here's an opportunity for the club to ensure that doesn't happen in the east, surely that's a positive thing

Why cant they just not wait, I have to wait for the boozer and dont get let out for a halftime beer. To steward this would also incurr costs (maybe not much) and mibbe Im just being a twonk here but, Im a non smoker and there is nothing worse than a smoker who has just been for a quick smoke sitting next to you and reeking of smoke, I actually find this worse than smoking belive it or not. Also the more places that have a ban on smoking is better for the health of the nation, we have the worst heart disease and cancer in Europe, anything that can be done to stop folk smoking is good in my book.
    Mind you Im just a grumpy old guy.
    Oh aye for some reason or another, smoking in bars doesnae bother me???
    Unless it is really really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Why cant they just not wait, I have to wait for the boozer and dont get let out for a halftime beer. To steward this would also incurr costs (maybe not much) and mibbe Im just being a twonk here but, Im a non smoker and there is nothing worse than a smoker who has just been for a quick smoke sitting next to you and reeking of smoke, I actually find this worse than smoking belive it or not. Also the more places that have a ban on smoking is better for the health of the nation, we have the worst heart disease and cancer in Europe, anything that can be done to stop folk smoking is good in my book.
    you are that concerned about the health of the nation you use the example of not being allowed out to get a pint.

if that's the case i'm sure you'll join me in campaigning for a ban on junk food like pies in the stadium and behind the goals to stop selling beer. both of those are a bigger problem in scotland than smoking - i'm sure you'll agree.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    you are that concerned about the health of the nation you use the example of not being allowed out to get a pint.

if that's the case i'm sure you'll join me in campaigning for a ban on junk food like pies in the stadium and behind the goals to stop selling beer. both of those are a bigger problem in scotland than smoking - i'm sure you'll agree.

Well said, after all they let smokers outside in corprate areas

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Or maybe someone stinking of drink hurling abuse at players with foul language

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    Or maybe someone stinking of drink hurling abuse at players with foul language
    Well technically, if they are stinking of drink they shouldn't be admitted to the ground in the first place...being "under the influence of alcohol". I appreciate they could simply have doused themselves in a couple of pints of Best, and not actually drank it, but you get my drift.

That's a rule that doesn't apply to smokers incidentally - see it's not all doom and gloom for the chimneys

Rumour has it that having the odd pint might actually be good for you....it's the other 10 that are the problem......

Blog Entries
    No.

Reasons:

1) Opening for half time becomes 5 minutes either side of half time so another fag can be had. Up and down in seats either side of the 2nd half ko - its annoying enough at full time is it not?
    2) Even if it is only 3 more stewards it is 3 more stewards who, frankly, dont need to be paid.
    3) Its good for your health

But people are allowed up and down to go to the toilet or to get a pie. Should a stop be put to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    But people are allowed up and down to go to the toilet or to get a pie. Should a stop be put to that.

They're not illegal, though. However, given the contents of the pies....

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    Do you think Hibs should let us smokers out at half time for a smoke and keep everybody happy ?

I say yes, as it's so easy to keep everybody happy, just open one door and put one steward at the gates coming into the ground. would stop all the non smokers breathing our smoke in the toilets etc..

Simples
    Yes from me, if a low cost system can be put in place.
    Saying that the smokers will just do it anyway isn't going to win round the don't knows though is it?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    They're not illegal, though. However, given the contents of the pies....
    Smoking tobacco in an outdoor environment that isnt enclosed isn't illegal either is it, or I've definitely missed something

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Perhaps we should get a smoking section, just like the singing section. Entrance of course would be set at £25 to cover the cost of fire extinguishers and brushes and shovels for the extra stewards required to sweep up all the fag dowps.

Although the back of the East is open its still classed as being within the stadium. There is no smoking allowed within the stadium.

A way round this might be leasing that area to me for a peppercorn rent and me turning it into something not part of the stadium – like a smoking area for example

I wonder how other stadia are allowed an official smoking area????
    Space to let

I say yes, as long as the smelly so and sos nip home and change their reeking clothes before coming back in to sit beside the non smokers.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Smoking tobacco in an outdoor environment that isnt enclosed isn't illegal either is it, or I've definitely missed something

Cross purposes.... note to self, try not to think about Hibs.net at work...

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    I say yes, as long as the smelly so and sos nip home and change their reeking clothes before coming back in to sit beside the non smokers.
    Behave yersel ..

Wink smoking

its a great idea i was there on sat werent going to open the doors but more people complained aboot it the did an the usual 2 police 5 stewards to get us bk in what a joke would rather go outside than in the toilets what people did when they were getting everyone bk in side the bottom gates were closed so dont no why there are not alowing it
    common sence hibs be fair we spend good money at the club and the rubbish that we watched in the 1st half we needed a smoke

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I voted yes, simply because i'm fed up going to the toilets at half-time only to see a smog of smoke coming from the cubicles thanks to selfish smokers. The bogs are rank when they're full of your second-hand smoke
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member
    YES - it does no harm so why not?

Possible objections: Contravenes the club's overall stance on smoking - well TBH I don't aprove of this preachy holier than thou health nazi policy. Fair enough to ban smoking in enclosed spaces in the interest of public health - or to ban it from the squad of professional athletes on whose performance it could impinge. But to ban your paying customers from enjoying a smoke in circumstances which will harm nobody but (possibly) themselves is a load of sanctimonious drivel IMO.

Extra stewarding costs: Considering how many stewards must be kept busy at HT patrolling the toilets and the stairwells, I don't think this argument holds any water - in fact the stewards' HT workload would probably be reduced and many could be diverted back to more conventional stewarding activities such as harrassing paying customers for standing up and singing at a football match

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    If they are going to stop people going out for a fag then they should do the decent thing and stop people smoking in the toilets.

But they won't - they can't - it just isn't under their control. And they should stop pretending that ER is a non-smoking stadium, because it isn't.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Although the back of the East is open its still classed as being within the stadium. There is no smoking allowed within the stadium.

[/SIZE]
    So basically the smokers would have to walk all the way down to the road, have their fag and walk all the way back? Seems impractical to me, both in terms of time and stewarding (you would have to steward the entire area behind the stands - not a 3 man job).

There are lots of things you cannot do within the stadium and this is one of them. Can we have a poll next for how many want standing, smoking and drinking all brought back, just as a study in futility.