hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 406 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvino View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've just got into American Football this week. Went round my mate's house for a game of Fifa and ended up playing Madden all week. I'd only ever watched one game, when the Giants were in the Super Bowl, just because Tynes is their kicker! I didn't really have a clue what was going on but now I appreciate the strategy a bit more I find it actually a decent sport.

Was in the pub earlier and enjoyed the game that went to OT that was on although I have no idea who it was between, and the Dolphins-Jets game is keeping me captivated - which is a problem because I can't switch it off but I have a lecture at 9am. Just grab some coffees in the morning!

This is only my second season watching it, it's addictive.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    I think the Patriots will get another 2 - vs the Dolphins and vs the Colts. If they DON'T show those games, I'll go spare.

Pleased with how we've started, but the second half is going to be the hardest of our schedule. At Indiana next weekend then we host the Spartans in Ann Arbor. Should be able to see both of these, as the Indiana game is on ESPN2 and the Michigan State game SHOULD be on ESPN America.

[BIG Upset] UCLA 34-12 Texas (7)
    Is the game next week SNF or MNF? If not I got some bad news for you cause it's not going to be on sky.

Now, now it's the same for all of us. Second half of the season is going to be very intresting. Just a pitty you will be out of it by the time you play us.

What you make of the Longhorns? Very, very surprised at the result. UCLA are utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    Very tempted to stay up and watch the Jets game tonight. I really must start getting into college football, always find it really difficult to get my head round how the playoffs work; I've been following St Johns in basketball for a couple of years but they don't have a football team
    Did you stay up for the game? It was another cracker. Sanchez proved me wrong yet again. Thought LT looked great again but I do worry about Greene although he did look ok in the 4th.
    If you can get into college football you won't regret it. Don't worry about the play-offs, just pick a team who wont make them .

Just out of interest, why not the Knicks or the Nets (I know they're NJ, but potato, potAto)
    I'm the same. Just couldn't take to either of them. Ended up going for the Sonics and look whats happened to them . Now I don't have an NBA team . The one thing I truly hate about American Sports

Only Pittsburgh and Kansas maintain perfect record starts
    The Chiefs will surprise a few people this year and should be in there with a shout in 2 or 3 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    Dont know TBH

Vick would be a quick fix but Kolb would only get better with game time. But Vick can run
    Looks like we got our answer. Even hearing that Kolb could be on his way out the door to Cleveland

If you end up supporting Ohio State, I'm labelling you as a glory hunter

Some game in the Superdome - into 4 remaining minutes of OT, with the Saints having missed a 29 yard field goal attempt to win it. Falcons need to burn up some time before scoring on their drive here...
    Enough with the Buckeye bashing young man. I'm a glory hunter, I support Hibs .

Falcon's game was great and I was impressed by their O. How's about Tony Gonzalez, a true leg-end. Always been one of my fav all time players and a shoe in for the hall of fame.

Excellent win this morning. Sanchez was brilliant again for the most part, L.T gets better and better and how good is the Terminator? Missed Revis in the first half as Wilson was struggling and I'm not sold on Slauson but have to be happy with the response after the Ravens game!
    Wilson will def come good I've no worries there. I'm more worried about Ducasse but your right either way. Our O line looks week and I think that we let Faneca go at least one season to soon.

This is only my second season watching it, it's addictive.
    It is indeed my friend .
    Last edited by DH1875; 27-09-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Is the game next week SNF or MNF? If not I got some bad news for you cause it's not going to be on sky.

Now, now it's the same for all of us. Second half of the season is going to be very intresting. Just a pitty you will be out of it by the time you play us.

What you make of the Longhorns? Very, very surprised at the result. UCLA are utter rubbish.
    The game is Monday night next week, so will be on ESPN (or Channel 4). Either way, it should be broadcast - 8.30pm (ET) start though, so being awake might be a whole other problem

If we can keep putting numbers up on our offense, we might still be thereabouts when we come to play you - The fact that we have both Michigan State and Iowa in Ann Arbor is a bonus and Penn State haven't looked fantastic thus far, though they're still 3-1 and I can't really see us doing much against them! Wisconsin will probably be a right-off, as they look good right now.

I don't think Texas are the team they were last season - I saw them play Texas Tech and thought their defense had a few gaping holes in it then. UCLA aren't ranked though, so it was a pretty big upset!

I'm the same. Just couldn't take to either of them. Ended up going for the Sonics and look whats happened to them . Now I don't have an NBA team . The one thing I truly hate about American Sports.

The Chiefs will surprise a few people this year and should be in there with a shout in 2 or 3 years time.
    I've never really been able to get into the NBA in all honesty. One of my closest friends lives in Ohio (don't worry, he's originally from the Lakes, so is a Michigan fan! ) is a Pistons fan - he tried to get me into it, when they were in the playoffs against the Celtics a couple of years back, but I just didn't really enjoy it. I've been along to the Amway Arena to watch the Magic a couple of times, and I've enjoyed the experience, but still wouldn't call myself an Orlando fan.

Enough with the Buckeye bashing young man. I'm a glory hunter, I support Hibs .

Falcon's game was great and I was impressed by their O. How's about Tony Gonzalez, a true leg-end. Always been one of my fav all time players and a shoe in for the hall of fame.
    It's unavoidable I'm afraid - it's like a rite of initiation when supporting Michigan !

In all seriousness, I was in Columbus a couple of years ago for the big one - didn't have tickets, but we went along to the stadium and watched in the huge square outside, where they had big TV's and thousands of people - I was amongst a fairly sizable group of Wolverine fans and the atmosphere was twice as intimidating as ANY Edinburgh derby I've ever been to - was actually glad we didn't win in the end (it was a pretty close run affair if I recall), as all hell would have broken loose!

As an aside, final score of the week: Chicago Bears 20-17 Green Bay Packers

Meaning:

NFC North

Chicago Bears 3-0
    Green Bay Packers 2-1
    Minnesota Vikings 1-2
    Detroit Lions 0-3
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

As an aside, final score of the week: Chicago Bears 20-17 Green Bay Packers

Meaning:

NFC North

Chicago Bears 3-0
    Green Bay Packers 2-1
    Minnesota Vikings 1-2
    Detroit Lions 0-3
    Just finished watching it, Rodgers was superb as usual but the packers were let down by the running game and penaltys i think 2 Chicago drives were kept going by penaltys - We need a win next week v the lions now

Gamer IDs

Just finished watching it, Rodgers was superb as usual but the packers were let down by the running game and penaltys i think 2 Chicago drives were kept going by penaltys - We need a win next week v the lions now
    If you struggle to beat the Detroit Pussycats, something's seriously wrong! Disasterous team!

I do enjoy watching the Lions on Thanksgiving, but usually because the games are high scoring affairs!

If you struggle to beat the Detroit Pussycats, something's seriously wrong! Disasterous team!

I do enjoy watching the Lions on Thanksgiving, but usually because the games are high scoring affairs!
    The poor Motor City Kitties

I'm going to make an effort to learn more about this college football lark this year. I think I'll try and follow Marist and see if I can get into it!

I'm going to make an effort to learn more about this college football lark this year. I think I'll try and follow Marist and see if I can get into it!
    Good for you. At least you won't be labeled a glory hunter . I got to be honest though and say they might be a tad hard to follow and I don't think you will get the whole experience if you stick with them. Like I say it's just an opinion but coming from the UK and having no ties I think it's better to go with a bigger team when it comes to college football. You get bigger games, bigger crowds, better atmosphere, better banter and the of chance off catching your team on tv. I know it doesn't mean much when your at Easter Road but believe me it makes a difference when your sitting on your todd on a saturday night in front of a computer screen. Have a look and see if you can catch one of their games and then watch one of these teams (at home).
    LSU
    Clemson
    Virginia Tech
    Tennessee
    Penn State
    Alabama
    Michigan
    Notre Dame
    Texas A&M
    and of course the mighty OHIO STATE BUCKEYES.
    Like I said it's just my thoughts and would be intresting to see what the story so far has to say on the Subject.
    Stick with it what ever you decide though.

Just had a thought. Notre Dame will be playing a game in Dublin in 2012. If you go down that route it's a chance to see your team play a proper competative game.

Gamer IDs

Just had a thought. Notre Dame will be playing a game in Dublin in 2012. If you go down that route it's a chance to see your team play a proper competative game.
    I'll be honest, I can't see it working.

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of being at a College Football game. Not even the best atmosphere ever experienced at a football ground. The masses who make up the college crowd won't travel for it and by comparison, British/Irish fans are **** at making a decent noise, as it's something we're controlled (by both inhibitions and overzealous policing) not to do.

I was in the Big House a couple of years back to watch Michigan play Michigan State - even though we didn't win, 105,000 people cheering on a side with such zeal, combined with the marching band was something to truly savor!

I'd agree it might be difficult following Marist - never easy following a team just be checking the scores - you need to get a feel for how the team play, styles of offense...Marist definitely aren't a team who are going to be on ESPN at any point during the season and I'd be surprised if they're even on streaming sites.

However, if you can follow them and get properly into it and enjoy supporting the smaller team, I tip my hat to you! I always felt it must be hard for people without affiliations to "chose" a team. I spent some time at Michigan, so the decision is pretty much made for you

I'm really more interested in looking at how the whole system works in college football. Different divisions, umpteen bowls, AP rankings, a team called Army etc. Marist have a pretty good site with audio, video etc. enough to keep me updated and interested while I try to figure out the sport at this level! Oh and Pacers legend Rik Smits is a former Red Fox. So that's me sold!

Ayrshirehibs your not the bloke who set up the Jets uk fan club are you .

As for Marist, good for you. College football has got so bad in New York that they have started to import other teams. Know it seems like I keep biging them up but as well as the game in Dublin, Notre Dame have two games in New York/New Jersey this season. Yankee stadium and Meadowlands.
    I even herd that they looking to have a PAC-10 game there . I mean, wtf is that all about.

I'll be honest, I can't see it working.

Nothing compares to the atmosphere of being at a College Football game. Not even the best atmosphere ever experienced at a football ground. The masses who make up the college crowd won't travel for it and by comparison, British/Irish fans are **** at making a decent noise, as it's something we're controlled (by both inhibitions and overzealous policing) not to do.

I was in the Big House a couple of years back to watch Michigan play Michigan State - even though we didn't win, 105,000 people cheering on a side with such zeal, combined with the marching band was something to truly savor!
    You wont be going then . If I can get tickets and more so some place to stay I think I might treat the Mrs to a weekend in Dublin.
    Did you make the Pats game at wembley? You ever been to an IS game? If so what you make of the atmosphere. Don't think the Dublin game would be that much worse.

Gamer IDs

You wont be going then . If I can get tickets and more so some place to stay I think I might treat the Mrs to a weekend in Dublin.
    Did you make the Pats game at wembley? You ever been to an IS game? If so what you make of the atmosphere. Don't think the Dublin game would be that much worse.
    Sorry, it might just be because I'm very tired, but IS game?

Nah - in my personal opinion, I can't see College Football ever taking off as much over here, as a lot of the interest/support comes from collegiate allegiance, derived either by locality or attendance at the college. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the Fighting Irish unless they were playing Michigan, so nah, no interest in going. I should hopefully get to Michigan vs Ohio State and Florida vs Miami next season, so that will suffice for a while.

I did get to the Patriots game at Wembley - was nice to see them in the flesh again, but a bit of a non-event, game wise. I didn't feel that the NFL UK experience was even HALF as good as gameday in the US, but I am biased. No atmosphere ANYWHERE on Earth will compare to our 2002 Superbowl Victory in the Superdome Hoping to get back to Foxborough next season at some point if I can fit it in whilst I'm in the USA. If not, I'm hoping the schedule will be favourable and perhaps throw a Pats @ Bucs or Pats @ Dolphins game up whilst I'm in Orlando training next Fall.

Ayrshirehibs your not the bloke who set up the Jets uk fan club are you .

As for Marist, good for you. College football has got so bad in New York that they have started to import other teams. Know it seems like I keep biging them up but as well as the game in Dublin, Notre Dame have two games in New York/New Jersey this season. Yankee stadium and Meadowlands.
    I even herd that they looking to have a PAC-10 game there . I mean, wtf is that all about.
    No I'm not although I have signed up! Looking forward to getting involved

So going to try and watch my first college game this weekend Florida-Alabama, apparently this as big as games get so hopefully will good

Oh and will be following Marist at Drake. Then Jets / Bills on Sunday! Gonna be fun!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Return of the Quack!

found this on the College gameday facebook

they have some Stunnin cheerleaders like

Sorry, it might just be because I'm very tired, but IS game?

Nah - in my personal opinion, I can't see College Football ever taking off as much over here, as a lot of the interest/support comes from collegiate allegiance, derived either by locality or attendance at the college. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch the Fighting Irish unless they were playing Michigan, so nah, no interest in going. I should hopefully get to Michigan vs Ohio State and Florida vs Miami next season, so that will suffice for a while.

I did get to the Patriots game at Wembley - was nice to see them in the flesh again, but a bit of a non-event, game wise. I didn't feel that the NFL UK experience was even HALF as good as gameday in the US, but I am biased. No atmosphere ANYWHERE on Earth will compare to our 2002 Superbowl Victory in the Superdome Hoping to get back to Foxborough next season at some point if I can fit it in whilst I'm in the USA. If not, I'm hoping the schedule will be favourable and perhaps throw a Pats @ Bucs or Pats @ Dolphins game up whilst I'm in Orlando training next Fall.
    Soz, my bag. Ment International Series.
    I agree with you that there is no chance of college football taking off over here, which is a real shame. Reckon the size of the US really helps on this occassion, in that a college team is the only decent sports team about for hundreds of miles. You only got to look at the amount of states that don't have an NFL team never mind cities. Having never been to a college game I can't say for def but the atmosphere seems to me to be a hundred times better than the NFL. Again I agree with you regarding the games at wembely. Always been really disappointed and doubt I will be back unless the Jets get a game. That said I think I will try and get over to Dublin as it's an experience. Some of us don't have the life style you know. You sound like you got some life mate, and good luck to you, ya big show off .
    Have you really been to a Superbowl?

I should hopefully get to Michigan vs Ohio State and Florida vs Miami next season, so that will suffice for a while.

Just out of curiosity but how the hell do you get ticket's for that one and how much does a trip like that cost.

No I'm not although I have signed up! Looking forward to getting involved

So going to try and watch my first college game this weekend Florida-Alabama, apparently this as big as games get so hopefully will good

Oh and will be following Marist at Drake. Then Jets / Bills on Sunday! Gonna be fun!

Thought it might have been you cause the bloke comes from Ayr.

Doubt you will be able to do it if your watching the Alabama game but the Stanford @ Oregon game should be a great watch if you don't know the score. It's on ESPN on Sunday lunch time. (Not live but shown as kind of thing).

Hate it when we are the favs to win a game. Hope we pull it off as a win here will set us up nice with the Dolphins and the Patriots playing each other.
    And remember we got Santonio to come in after this week.

they have some Stunnin cheerleaders like
    Who would have thought college girls in cheerleaders outfits would be hot .

Gamer IDs

Soz, my bag. Ment International Series.
    I agree with you that there is no chance of college football taking off over here, which is a real shame. Reckon the size of the US really helps on this occassion, in that a college team is the only decent sports team about for hundreds of miles. You only got to look at the amount of states that don't have an NFL team never mind cities. Having never been to a college game I can't say for def but the atmosphere seems to me to be a hundred times better than the NFL. Again I agree with you regarding the games at wembely. Always been really disappointed and doubt I will be back unless the Jets get a game. That said I think I will try and get over to Dublin as it's an experience. Some of us don't have the life style you know. You sound like you got some life mate, and good luck to you, ya big show off .
    Have you really been to a Superbowl?
    Hardly a show-off It was a once in a lifetime experience to be honest - I was over visiting family in Rhode Island and they were season ticket holders in Foxborough - made the trip every week. They bought tickets for the Superbowl but couldn't make the game, so we asked if we could buy the tickets. They wouldn't hear of taking money for it, so all we had to pay for were the flights from Boston to New Orleans and accomodation for the overnight!

You really do have to see the campuses in the USA to appreciate just how big collegiate football really is. I've been fortunate enough to spend time studying in 2 Universities over there and almost done my PhD over there. The reason isn't even always the absence of an NFL team. There's a purity about College Football, which sets it apart from the NFL - it's nothing other than personal/team pride and collegiate allegiance. Money doesn't dominate and because of the roster turnover due to graduation etc, it's not (usually) dominated by any one team for too long, though success on the field is creating a trend of recruitment right now for the likes of Alabama, Ohio State and LSU, hence their recent dominance.

Just out of curiosity but how the hell do you get ticket's for that one and how much does a trip like that cost.
    As I said, I've spent some time studying in Michigan, so I count as eligible for ticket allocation. I tend not to use it though, as my aforementioned mate (set to be my best man at my wedding in 2 years) manages to get tickets as his brother used to play for the Wolverines and ex-players have a guaranteed ticket allocation for life. Other than flights and spending money, I tend not to pay for anything else, as I stay with my mate (who also picks me up/drops me off at the airport) and the tickets for ex-players and their friends/family aren't charged (unless over a certain amount are requested - the last Michigan vs OSU game generated a lot of interest in tickets for his brother, so he had to pay $100 per additional ticket).

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Who would have thought college girls in cheerleaders outfits would be hot .
    Hardly my brightest moment but im right also

Hardly my brightest moment but im right also

Yip nothing beats them cheerleaders

p.s.

You got a pm.

God how much do I love LT

A few upsets on the cards as we speak! Fourth quarter in most games and
    The Browns lead the Bengals.
    The Panthers lead the Saints.
    The Rams are leading the Seahawks.
    Ravens trailing the Steelers.
    Detroit also keeping it close against Green Bay.

Gamer IDs

I'll be honest - my attention to both has been hampered this week due to the Ryder Cup. I did watch the Michigan @ Indiana game yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed what was ultimately a shootout, with the Wolverines coming out on top to remain undefeated and win our first Big Ten matchup! Denard Robinson was electric YET AGAIN! Michigan up to 17 in the rankings, with Michigan State being ranked 16, prior to next weeks matchup in Ann Arbor, which should be a cracker - absolutely miffed that ESPN American aren't showing any games live next weekend, as it's the opening weekend of the NHL - not that I mind the NHL starting again, but I'm a bit pissed it's at the expense of a cracking Big Ten game!

In the big NCAA game yesterday, 'Bama destroyed Florida 31-6.

NFL - Week 4 results

San Francisco 49er's 14-13 Atlanta Falcons (49'ers were 0-3 coming into this game against a good Falcons side)

New York Jets 38-14 Buffalo Bills
    Cincinnati Bengals 20-23 Cleveland Browns
    Detroit Lions 26-28 Green Bay Packers
    Denver Broncos 16-20 Tennessee Titans
    Seattle Seahawks 3-20 St Louis Rams
    Carolina Panthers 14-16 New Orleans Saints
    Baltimore Ravens 17-14 Pittsburgh Steelers (Ravens just scored with 32 seconds remaining in the 4th! They've also intercepted a pass with 20 seconds remaining).

Late Games:

Houston Texans @ Oakland Raiders
    Indianapolis Colts @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    Washington Redskins @ Philidelphia Eagles
    Arizona Cardinals @ San Diego Chargers
    Chicago Bears @ New York Giants

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

God how much do I love LT

A few upsets on the cards as we speak! Fourth quarter in most games and
    The Browns lead the Bengals.
    The Panthers lead the Saints.
    The Rams are leading the Seahawks.
    Ravens trailing the Steelers.
    Detroit also keeping it close against Green Bay.
    that was close

GB had trouble stopping the Lions on 3rd down, GB struggled on Special teams and no running game until the last drive to wind the clock down to zero

Redskins next week and will need to play a lot better than that!

gonna watch Eagles v Redskins now and looking forward to it with the vick/Mcnab spice on top of it all

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    Eagles for the Championship
    With a defense as absolutely woeful as this?!?!?

Redskins are slicing through at will and lead 14-0 in a VERY one-sided matchup!

Gamer IDs

Michael Vick absolutely hammered driving forward on 3rd down - he ran all the way to the goal line and was sandwiched - all for nothing, as a penalty was called and brought back to replay 3rd and 15. Ouch!

Anyway:

Indianapolis Colts 7-14 Jacksonville Jaguars
    Houston Texans 14-7 Oakland Raiders
    Washington Redskins 14-3 Philidelphia Eagles
    Arizona Cardinals 7-7 San Diego Chargers

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I don't know a lot about the sport but the Bears' offense seems dire!

Gamer IDs

San Francisco 49er's 14-16 Atlanta Falcons
    New York Jets 38-14 Buffalo Bills
    Cincinnati Bengals 20-23 Cleveland Browns
    Detroit Lions 26-28 Green Bay Packers
    Denver Broncos 26-20 Tennessee Titans
    Seattle Seahawks 3-20 St Louis Rams
    Carolina Panthers 14-16 New Orleans Saints
    Baltimore Ravens 17-14 Pittsburgh Steelers
    Washington Redskins 17-12 Philadelphia Eagles
    Houston Texans 31-24 Oakland Raiders
    Arizona Cardinals 10-41 San Diego Chargers
    Indianapolis Colts 28-31 Jacksonville Jaguars
    Chicago Bears 3-17 New York Giants

Tonight: New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins

NFC East

Washington 2-2
    Philadelphia 2-2
    NY Giants 2-2
    Dallas 1-2

NFC North

Chicago 3-1
    Green Bay 3-1
    Minnesota 1-2
    Detroit 0-4

NFC South

Atlanta 3-1
    New Orleans 3-1
    Tampa Bay 2-1
    Carolina 0-4

NFC West

Arizona 2-2
    St Louis 2-2
    Seattle 2-2
    San Francisco 0-4

================================================== ==

AFC East

NY Jets 3-1
    New England 2-1
    Miami 2-1
    Buffalo 0-4

AFC North

Baltimore 3-1
    Pittsburgh 3-1
    Cincinnati 2-2
    Cleveland 1-3

AFC South

Houston 3-1
    Jacksonville 2-2
    Tennessee 2-2
    Indianapolis 2-2

AFC West

Kansas City 3-0
    San Diego 2-2
    Denver 2-2
    Oakland 1-3

Kansas City the only remaining undefeated side, having a bye this weekend (along with Dallas, Minnesota and Tampa Bay). Buffalo, San Francisco, Carolina and Detroit all still without a win!