hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Famous Five Lower. Is it getting too Dangerous to sit in? before kick off.

Perhaps it's time for hibs too consider getting a set of safety nets on wheels to go behind the goals. I watched in horror on Sunday as an old guy was hit with the ball a real sore one. There are a few kiddies in this stand and it would be a pity to wait until one was hurt. Who would be the best man to contact. ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps it's time for hibs too consider getting a set of safety nets on wheels to go behind the goals. I watched in horror on Sunday as an old guy was hit with the ball a real sore one. There are a few kiddies in this stand and it would be a pity to wait until one was hurt. Who would be the best man to contact. ?

Can only assume this was when Nish was warming up?

Stokes and Riordan use the net attached to the goal frame to stop the ball.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by LeithBoozy View Post
    after 15 years then now is the time for a safety net!!!!!

Best man to call is past self, cause your balls have obviously disappeared. Cotton Ball mentality!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    Can only assume this was when Nish was warming up?

Stokes and Riordan use the net attached to the goal frame to stop the ball.
    Actually M, you're not a million miles away from the truth there.
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin80 View Post
    after 15 years then now is the time for a safety net!!!!!

Best man to call is past self, cause your balls have obviously disappeared. Cotton Ball mentality!!!!!
    Oh what an excellent metality you have sir.

So if a 5 year old kid gets seriously injured because of this, its their own fault for having cotton balls...

What if somebodies in the middle of climbing the stairs when they get struck? They could quite easily collapse and go tumbling right down them.

Its an issue that could turn into something very serious.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post

So if a 5 year old kid gets seriously injured because of this, its their own fault for having cotton balls...

What if somebodies in the middle of climbing the stairs when they get struck? They could quite easily collapse and go tumbling right down them.

Are you actually at the wind-up?

How many people were seriously injured as a result of being hit by a ball in any of the hundreds of games attended this weekend?

Kyle Lafferty had a ball leathered at him from about two yards and he was ok.

Not saying it's impossible for someone to take a sore one from a ball, but the chances of it happening are slim, and certainly not worth the hassle of sticking nets and that up.

I was in the South v Aberdeen & one o the young dons players leathered the ball way past the post during warm up ...i had a juicy pie in my right hand & a piping hot coffee in the other..the ball smacked my right hand & my pie went intae ****ing orbit !!!!

Aye ..get them big nets in....i dont mind getting scudded on the heid but damned if im gonna have another pie in the sky moment ..

Are you actually at the wind-up?

How many people were seriously injured as a result of being hit by a ball in any of the hundreds of games attended this weekend?

Kyle Lafferty had a ball leathered at him from about two yards and he was ok.

Not saying it's impossible for someone to take a sore one from a ball, but the chances of it happening are slim, and certainly not worth the hassle of sticking nets and that up.
    Slim or not, it could still happen.

Lafferty isn't a 5 year old boy is he? Even although he has the mentality of one.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Get the old codger to do a bobby charlton FFS. What age is he?
    Can I take you all back to Pre season lst year at Kircaldy?
    HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish I could find that thread.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Slim or not, it could still happen.

Lafferty isn't a 5 year old boy is he? Even although he has the mentality of one.
    Better not leave the house tonight then, could get struck by lightning. Slim chance, but it could still happen eh?

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I don't think safety nets would be plausible, although I appreciate the concerns pointed out by the OP.

Best case scenario would be if the team altered the order of their preparations by practicing shooting early on in the pre-match warmup to limit the chances of injury, pie-obliterating and coffee-spilling.

Not sure how helpful that would be though. Has this 'problem' been addressed by any other clubs?
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post
    Better not leave the house tonight then, could get struck by lightning. Slim chance, but it could still happen eh?
    Well thats a bit of a daft comparison to make.

Being stuck by lightning is unavoidable if its going to happen.

On the other hand, a bairn being struck hard on the face with a ball at a football game is very avoidable.

The chances of getting hit with a ball at a football game isn't that slim. It happens quite a lot actually. Its just luck that the people that have been struck have either been sitting down, or next to their seat. Some people have been knocked unconscious from being hit.

Theres no reason that somebody couldn't be knocked unconcious while going up the stairs. Its very possible.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    I was in the South v Aberdeen & one o the young dons players leathered the ball way past the post during warm up ...i had a juicy pie in my right hand & a piping hot coffee in the other..the ball smacked my right hand & my pie went intae ****ing orbit !!!!

Aye ..get them big nets in....i dont mind getting scudded on the heid but damned if im gonna have another pie in the sky moment ..
    u get a replacement??
    Hibernian Football Club

Testimonial Due

No, it's really not.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    I don't think safety nets would be plausible, although I appreciate the concerns pointed out by the OP.

Best case scenario would be if the team altered the order of their preparations by practicing shooting early on in the pre-match warmup to limit the chances of injury, pie-obliterating and coffee-spilling.

Not sure how helpful that would be though. Has this 'problem' been addressed by any other clubs?
    Aye ..def pie obliterating ....i brought this up (no the pie obviously) to Petrie a couple o weeks later whilst having a pie & pint in the safe confines of BTG ...he asked me what kinda pie it was then smirked & said he would "look into it"....i told him it was a bit late as my pie was splattered all over the place, there wouldnt be much to look into !!! ...

Petrie..sort it oot !!!

Pie

Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    No, it's really not.
    Bairn walks up stairs.... ball hits bairn....

Impossible.

InjuryLawyers4you.com for the OP!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 23-08-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Bairn walks up stairs.... ball hits bairn....

Impossible.
    It does happen no doubt but when do you ever hear of anyone being injured ...ive been scudded loads o times throughout the years..even as a kid ...i was once walking down the stairs o the east terrace & big Gogs Rae managed tae smack a ball right into my family allowance ..other than a bit o pride & talking like Joe Pasquale for a week i was fine ...all part & parcel o the game ...

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Get the old codger to do a bobby charlton FFS. What age is he?
    Can I take you all back to Pre season lst year at Kircaldy?
    HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish I could find that thread.
    You only got to header it cos I ducked

Was a stormer though

First Team Breakthrough biggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: biggie1875

maybe you should email the club and see if they can issue hard hat as you enter the stand ....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    Well thats a bit of a daft comparison to make.

Being stuck by lightning is unavoidable if its going to happen.

On the other hand, a bairn being struck hard on the face with a ball at a football game is very avoidable.

The chances of getting hit with a ball at a football game isn't that slim. It happens quite a lot actually. Its just luck that the people that have been struck have either been sitting down, or next to their seat. Some people have been knocked unconscious from being hit.

Theres no reason that somebody couldn't be knocked unconcious while going up the stairs. Its very possible.
    You missed the point, you can avoid being struck by lightning by staying indoors, doesn't mean you will though, even if it could save your life

It's amusing that you pass off the most damning factor against your argument as 'just luck'. Getting seriously injured by a ball travelling over 30 yards, now that would be an event so statistically infrequent as to call it 'luck', even of the bad variety.

I find your opinion on 'bairns' extremely patronising as well. Most five year olds will voluntary put themselves in more dangerous situations than a potential skelping from a ball. Heck, if Sauzee or Latapy had knocked me out with a ball, I'd have kept it like a badge of honour and brought it in to show my friends the next day.

I'm away out now, if I get run over by a car I sincerely hope it's worthy of a thread proposing that we take measures to make sure it never happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by biggie1875 View Post
    maybe you should email the club and see if they can issue hard hat as you enter the stand ....
    Sod him ..how do i protect ma pie ..?...a hard hat is nae guid !!

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    You missed the point, you can avoid being struck by lightning by staying indoors, doesn't mean you will though, even if it could save your life

It's amusing that you pass off the most damning factor against your argument as 'just luck'. Getting seriously injured by a ball travelling over 30 yards, now that would be an event so statistically infrequent as to call it 'luck', even of the bad variety.

I find your opinion on 'bairns' extremely patronising as well. Most five year olds will voluntary put themselves in more dangerous situations than a potential skelping from a ball. Heck, if Sauzee or Latapy had knocked me out with a ball, I'd have kept it like a badge of honour and brought it in to show my friends the next day.

I'm away out now, if I get run over by a car I sincerely hope it's worthy of a thread proposing that we take measures to make sure it never happens again.
    Mind wear clean scants ...

First Team Breakthrough biggie1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: biggie1875

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

If the pie I had on Sunday is anything to go by, we need to be worried about the damage to the stand if the pie lands on it at velocity. The thing was bloody solid!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    The guy who gas been hit by lightning mist was a park ranger in north America. He was hit several times over the years and survived. He eventually killed himself over a woman.
    Women are more dangerous than lightning. FACT.

How many people were seriously injured as a result of being hit by a ball
    Ask Murdo MacLeod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCVNp...feature=search

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The guy who gas been hit by lightning mist was a park ranger in north America. He was hit several times over the years and survived. He eventually killed himself over a woman.
    Women are more dangerous than lightning. FACT.
    So how do you protect yourself against them then? Wear two hard hats?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Wink

Yet another example of the dangers of all seated stadia standing primes the spectator not only for the elements (like the penguins it's just natures way) but the unexpected. This allied to the increased tripping hazard and liklihood that someone spills something hot or noxious on you as they make their way back from catering.
    I rest my case

Gamer IDs

Turn it over, put the pie inside and, hey presto, you have a makeshift lunchbox.