hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standing

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

Standing

I have my ST in the West Upper back row and for the first time in my years of going to ER me and my mate were told to sit down by a steward who said we couldnt stand up just incase anybody else wanted to and thought it would be ok. We stood for years in the old East and then moved to the West Upper last year and stood in the back row there. I couldnt belive my ears when we were told to sit down yesterday and whats worse the knobber supervisor threatened us with ejection if we didnt sit down. £450 for a ST to be told you might be ejected. I know its an all seated stadium bla bla bla but surely its a bit ott to tell off the home fans for standing in the back row with nobody behind you, especially when most of the Huns in the Dunbar end were standing. So needless to say im a wee bit peeved about it today

Any thoughts folks?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Like your namesake, you have to adapt to your accommodation

They tried that in the East, but fair play to the standers, they never sat and the stewards soon gave up.

The 'no standing' rule in Scotland is getting more ridiculous by the season. Something needs to be done pronto. All it needs is common sense. But then again Scottish fitba and common sense

When fans are getting pissed off by poor performances, high prices, kick off times (TV games etc) giving them another excuse to give up fitba is unbeliveable!

No doubt some people on here will defend the actions of the stewards. Its an all seater stadium, its for your own safety etc

Give Hibs a quick email board@hibernianfc.co.uk
    The more emails they get the more likely they are to use a bit common sense and back off...

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They tried that in the East, but fair play to the standers, they never sat and the stewards soon gave up.

The 'no standing' rule in Scotland is getting more ridiculous by the season. Something needs to be done pronto. All it needs is common sense. But then again Scottish fitba and common sense

When fans are getting pissed off by poor performances, high prices, kick off times (TV games etc) giving them another excuse to give up fitba is unbeliveable!

No doubt some people on here will defend the actions of the stewards. Its an all seater stadium, its for your own safety etc

The more emails they get the more likely they are to use a bit common sense and back off...
    There wasn't that many standing at all yesterday in the East from what I saw. It may well be that it appeared more if you were amongst them. Could it be that the majority in there actually preferred to sit and enjoy a decent view of the pitch.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    There wasn't that many standing at all yesterday in the East from what I saw. It may well be that it appeared more if you were amongst them. Could it be that the majority in there actually preferred to sit and enjoy a decent view of the pitch.
    Probably. Your point being what?

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    Quite a big section standing near me, the standers will find there area and they will all congregate together, the sitters will also learn to avoid this area. Take a few games but it will happen.

The boy in front of me stood for most of the game, I could still the whole game sitting down without any issue.

Probably. Your point being what?
    Just an observation. Peoples behaviour at games has changed whether we like it or not.

I find this gettiing humpty at standing all very odd. People pay for a seat and take offence when asked to sit down.

Yes I know we used to stand and lots of people prefer it, but the game and stadiums have changed from what many of us used to know - people need to accept that and move on.

If you get away with standing and are in the back row, fair play. if asked to sit, then sit or you risk being ejected. Whats better ,argue the toss and get chucked out and miss the game or sit down and get to stay.

If you are anywhere other than the back row and stand, you are spoiling the view for others and thats poor form in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    Quite a big section standing near me, the standers will find there area and they will all congregate together, the sitters will also learn to avoid this area. Take a few games but it will happen.

The boy in front of me stood for most of the game, I could still the whole game sitting down without any issue.

I will fire off an email but im not holding my breath for a response and if i do get one it will be along the lines of you must remain seated for your own safety. Absolute pash! Germany is a prime example of how to use standing safely.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I have my ST in the West Upper back row and for the first time in my years of going to ER me and my mate were told to sit down by a steward who said we couldnt stand up just incase anybody else wanted to and thought it would be ok. We stood for years in the old East and then moved to the West Upper last year and stood in the back row there. I couldnt belive my ears when we were told to sit down yesterday and whats worse the knobber supervisor threatened us with ejection if we didnt sit down. £450 for a ST to be told you might be ejected. I know its an all seated stadium bla bla bla but surely its a bit ott to tell off the home fans for standing in the back row with nobody behind you, especially when most of the Huns in the Dunbar end were standing. So needless to say im a wee bit peeved about it today

Any thoughts folks?
    Same thing happened at the Maribor game. Me and my Dad were in the back row of the south and during the 1st fifteen minutes were out our seats quite a bit. Not constantly standing, just reacting to the game and the chances Hibs were creating.

Some jobsworth moron climbed all the way to the back of the stand to tell us to sit down. We were in the middle of explaining that not only was there no one behind us, but that all we were doing was getting involved in the game, when Maribor scored the opener.

I had read the threads on here about the heavy-handed stewarding of Hibs fans in the south stand before, but always took them with a bit of a pinch of salt. I couldn't believe the attitude of the stewards towards paying customers though. This wasn't a polite "could you sit down please sir", this was threatening a Hibs fan of 60-odd years "service" with immediate ejection if he didn't sit down. Despite the fact we were only standing when Hibs were attacking.

Hibs need to have a word with these muppets.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Like your namesake, you have to adapt to your accommodation

My brother and his mate were in the East yesterday where most of the people nearby were also standing and a steward came over and told them to hand over their season tickets because he was going to send in a report to Hibs about them standing. Both of them, wisely, refused to give him any season tickets and he said that if they continued to stand, he would get the Police involved.

Needless to say, they are still waiting for a Police officer to come over and deal with them...

There was no-one behind them who was complaining about not being able to see because the two of them are not the type to be ignorant of requests like that and if another fan had asked them to sit, they would have done so. As it happens, most of the people around them were sticking up for them and telling the steward where to go.

Apparently he took their seat numbers and he told the pair of them that he would be reporting their seat numbers to Hibs.

I wouldn't mind as much if they had treated the Rangers fans in the same manner but there was thousands of them standing throughout yesterday's match without any hassle from Police or stewards.

Yet again, it's one rule for the Old Firm and another rule for everyone else.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I paid a fortune for my car.

I also pay road tax and when it's over 3 years old, I'll pay for an annual MOT.

I also pay hundreds of pounds a year for fuel, much of which goes to the Treasury.

Why can't I drive on the right, if I want to?

It's ridiculous.

They're allowed to drive on the left in France and Germany and loads of other places apart from Malta and there's never any trouble.

No doubt some people on here will defend the actions of the Police and Traffic controllers. Its a public road, its for your own safety etc

And don't get me started about One way streets.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I paid a fortune for my car.

Why can't I drive on the right, if I want to?

It's ridiculous.

It's against the law.

Having been confronted by the moron steward at the Maribor game I checked the small print on my ticket. There was nothing about having to remain seated at all times.

Are we allowed to stand up when Hibs score? How about if I want to go for a pie? Seriously, that's how sensible the stewards were being during my incident.

If the stewards are going to tell home fans to sit they must do it to awy fans also.

It is never going to happen. Fans will always stand at football. Look at the Kop @ Liverpool. They brought in rules telling fans to sit at games for safety and done annoucements during the game and what di the fans do. A standing protest.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Any thoughts folks?
    Yes, sit down or get ejected FFS what is it with people like you who can't accept that you are are not permitted to stand. £450 is for a seat so use it.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    My brother and his mate were in the East yesterday where most of the people nearby were also standing and a steward came over and told them to hand over their season tickets because he was going to send in a report to Hibs about them standing. Both of them, wisely, refused to give him any season tickets and he said that if they continued to stand, he would get the Police involved.

Needless to say, they are still waiting for a Police officer to come over and deal with them...

There was no-one behind them who was complaining about not being able to see because the two of them are not the type to be ignorant of requests like that and if another fan had asked them to sit, they would have done so. As it happens, most of the people around them were sticking up for them and telling the steward where to go.

Apparently he took their seat numbers and he told the pair of them that he would be reporting their seat numbers to Hibs.

I wouldn't mind as much if they had treated the Rangers fans in the same manner but there was thousands of them standing throughout yesterday's match without any hassle from Police or stewards.

Yet again, it's one rule for the Old Firm and another rule for everyone else
    It was the same when we had to share the South with them last season, we got moaned at all game to sit down but nothing was said to the Rangers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yes, sit down or get ejected FFS what is it with people like you who can't accept that you are are not permitted to stand. £450 is for a seat so use it.

People like me?? You dont even know me. There are many others like me who share the same opinion on this issue who are maybe not so forgiving with a comment like that. No need.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Yet again, it's one rule for the Old Firm and another rule for everyone else.
    I think most Hibbies stand when we're at Ibrox.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I will fire off an email but im not holding my breath for a response and if i do get one it will be along the lines of you must remain seated for your own safety. Absolute pash! Germany is a prime example of how to use standing safely.
    The German stadiums are very much designed for standing though. Seats bolted back, full length crush barriers etc etc.

I agree with the principle that standing at football is what a lot of fans want to do. It would be great if a club had the guts to put in a standing secction with the required safety precautions in place. UEFA requires seating for their competitions so the German model of seat which can be unbolted for European games is proably the way to go.

Undoubtedly Hillsborough and Heysel and so on will be brought up by those against the idea of bringing back standing. As tragic as those incidents were i think most people are now in agreement that it wasn't standing which caused these incidents rather stadiums unfit for purpose and poor crowd control. A modern terraced area with adequate crush barriers and strict limits on numbers would be a great idea IMO.

People like me?? You dont even know me. There are many others like me who share the same opinion on this issue who are maybe not so forgiving with a comment like that. No need.
    Doesnt he have a valid point though ..?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The German stadiums are very much designed for standing though. Seats bolted back, full length crush barriers etc etc.

I agree with the principle that standing at football is what a lot of fans want to do. It would be great if a club had the guts to put in a standing secction with the required safety precautions in place. UEFA requires seating for their competitions so the German model of seat which can be unbolted for European games is proably the way to go.

Undoubtedly Hillsborough and Heysel and so on will be brought up by those against the idea of bringing back standing. As tragic as those incidents were i think most people are now in agreement that it wasn't standing which caused these incidents rather stadiums unfit for purpose and poor crowd control. A modern terraced area with adequate crush barriers and strict limits on numbers would be a great idea IMO.

Absolutely 100%

Left by mutual consent! Skanko79's Avatar
    scotland needs to take a leaf out the german fa's book. every ground in the bundesliga accomodates for folk that want to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Doesnt he have a valid point though ..?

Maybe

I find this very strange, why can folk not just sit down? Attention seekers.

i sit in the back row of the east and they asked me to sit i replyd whos view am i blocking

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    A modern terraced area with adequate crush barriers and strict limits on numbers would be a great idea IMO.
    I agree.

However, the UK government has stipulated that no standing accommodation is to be allowed.

As this is undeniably the case, it's only right that clubs do what they can to ensure the safety of their customers in an all seated environment.

There is an argument that standing in an all seater stadium is intrinsically more dangerous than standing on the old, open terraces was.

There is also the rights of those who want to sit comfortably, without having their view obscured or having someone on either side of them, or behind, towering above them.

When "Stop Making Sense" was released, I went to see it a couple of times.

The first time, almost everyone instinctively stood up as the gig unfolded. It was fantastic.

The second time, for whatever reason, the atmosphere was different and standing just didn't seem to be an attractive option apart from the 2 wasted guys in front of me.

Asking them to sit resulted in the inevitable tirade of abuse and eventually, I was forced to stand too. That's not right.

I also got booted out of a gig for lamping a guy who pushed in front of me at a David Byrne gig ensuring that I couldn't see (anyone see a pattern here?)

No-one ever gets punched for sitting.

Just a thought.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I don't need to know you personally, as you have already told me that you are a person who objects to being told to sit down in the seat you have paid for and been provided with. Agreed my initial post might have sounded a tad agressive which certainly wasn't my intention.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 23-08-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skanko79 View Post
    scotland needs to take a leaf out the german fa's book. every ground in the bundesliga accomodates for folk that want to stand.
    It's nothing to do with the SFA.

It's a government decision.