hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Tranent Hibby's Avatar

Red Card Offences

Cant see why McBride was given a straight red kicking the ball cannot fit in to these categories. They lose a numpty and we lose a key player in our midfield. Hibees should appeal immediately.

A player is sent off and shown the red card if they commit any of the following seven offences.

Serious foul play

Violent conduct, such as throwing a punch

Spitting at an opponent or another person

A player other than the goalkeeper denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free-kick or a penalty kick

Using offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

Receiving a second caution in the match

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough churchie16's Avatar
    Same here don't have a clue why mcbride was sent off got to admit brilliant strike from him just wanted to hit that thud harder and square in the face,good to see when all the aftermath kicked off everyone was in for one another which got to them so next time at ibrox just get wired into them from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranent Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cant see why McBride was given a straight red kicking the ball cannot fit in to these categories. They lose a numpty and we lose a key player in our midfield. Hibees should appeal immediately.

A player is sent off and shown the red card if they commit any of the following seven offences.

Serious foul play

A player other than the goalkeeper denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball

Denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free-kick or a penalty kick

My guess is that the referee decided McBride blasting the ball at Laugherty whilst the hun was on the deck constituted violent conduct or serious foul play. I dont think it was either and a yellow would have been more appropriate but this is Brines we're talking about remember
    This is how it feels

It's all irrelevant. The fact is McBride made it easy for the ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post
    It's all irrelevant. The fact is McBride made it easy for the ref.
    That's true but where's the harm in discussing it on here? It's relevant as long as folk choose to do that
    This is how it feels

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar
    My mates and I were horrified and disappointed to discover at the half-time re-runs of the incident showed that the ball only smacked him on the backside, and not the despicable git's ugly puss as we all had originally thought!

Ah well.

Easy appeal win I think

Testimonial Due

Serious foul play

My understanding is that kicking the ball off an oponent in that manner, is classed as violent conduct. Realy stupid to do it, regardless of the punishment.

@hibs.net private member thebakerboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    Easy appeal win I think
    Dont think so because Brines has to admit error for appeal to work and that aint going to happen

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebakerboy View Post
    Dont think so because Brines has to admit error for appeal to work and that aint going to happen
    Yep the GFA is rotten to the core so we've no chance.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    The thing is the whistle went just as Mcbride blasted the ball at laugherty.....so in Kevs mind it was in open play - nowt wrong with it.

ref bottled it....as usual

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    The thing is the whistle went just as Mcbride blasted the ball at laugherty.....so in Kevs mind it was in open play - nowt wrong with it.

This was my assessment of the situation which happened right in front of me!

McBride had been possibly our best player up till then whereas Lafferty was always going to be replaced by young Weiss who is definatey a superb player and an enhancement to the SPL without question IMO!

The two red cards definately favoured the Huns rather than Hibs!

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post

McBride should just say in his appeal that he spotted McGregor of his line, and was trying to score. Or is THAT illegal against Der Hun ?

First Team Breakthrough DCI Gene Hunt's Avatar
    Can't say I was happy with the outcome myself, to me McBride was playing the ball, smelly weegies didn't like what had happened previously and spat the dummy out , bother started, perhaps that had more to do with it than the ball-kicking which even after taking my Hibby-tinted specs off was no problem at all.

I wish we could get rid of the Odious Firm from the SPL.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    My guess is that the referee decided McBride blasting the ball at Laugherty whilst the hun was on the deck constituted violent conduct or serious foul play. I dont think it was either and a yellow would have been more appropriate but this is Brines we're talking about remember
    Having now watched the incident on TV, it is clear Brines blows for the foul, and is seen going to his back pocket for a card, just as McBride blooters the ball off the hun......

He was going to give the bluenose a yellow anyway, before it all kicked off

First Team Breakthrough Luna Landing's Avatar
    Well it happened right in front of me and Lafferty was on his feet - not the deck as has been suggested . If the whistle had gone it was a split second before McBride kicked it so I really dont see what he could have done different is he supposed to stand back and let Rangers play on . he should win any appeal but I cant see the ref changing his mind

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Having now watched the incident on TV, it is clear Brines blows for the foul, and is seen going to his back pocket for a card, just as McBride blooters the ball off the hun......

He was going to give the bluenose a yellow anyway, before it all kicked off
    Interesting as this is where referee's normally keep their red card...so was Brines actually going to send of Lafferty for the tackle, if so then it makes McBrides actions all the more stupid IMO

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Interesting as this is where referee's normally keep their red card...so was Brines actually going to send of Lafferty for the tackle, if so then it makes McBrides actions all the more stupid IMO
    IIRC, Brines keeps both cards in the same breast pocket as he also had the red out when booking someone.

I'm sure there was a thing they did years ago where the red card had rounded corners to ensure referees didn't pull it out () in error.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    If McBride hadn't reacted, I don't think that Brines would have sent Lafferty off. The fact that he did, made it easy for the ref to get two for the price of one. I can see that Lafferty sort on his way out of Ibrox. They don't want that kind on the terracing, never mind in the team.

Left by mutual consent!

Serious foul play

You missed two

The OF must have their way at all costs

Brines is a ****in' cheat

First Team Breakthrough
    having just watched replay im in the same opinion as i was yesterday, david weir should also ave walked as he had his hands on mcbrides neck and helped ignite the situation rather as calm things down.i reckon he was watching kev have a stormer and realised if rangers were to get on top then he would ave to stop our number seventeen.not often i believe we ave been robbed but yesterday i do feel this incident changed the flow of the game completely.

@hibs.net private member
    I find it utterly astonishing that a red card could be dished out for just kicking the football!
    As far as I could see the ball was still in play and McBride blasted it towards the Huns goal - Lafferty was in the way but what of it??? Are we now to expect red cards every time a player attempts to win a throw in or corner by kicking the ball off an opponent? Or what about when the ball comes off the wall at a free kick?

Brines' decision seems without any logical motivation other than being scared of upsetting the OF and effectively cheating to help them win the game.

Anyone else remember Fernando Ricksen blooter the ball against the arm of a prostrate Uli Laursen, knocking him back down ?

The outcome, penalty awarded for deliberate handball and Laursen sent off

Seem to be against the general consensus here so tin hat on.

IMO McBride knew exactly what he was doing and drilled the ball directly at the decked hun. That in my opinion is classified as reacting/violent conduct which both can be punishible via red card.

For me the biggest disappointment wasn't losing 3 - 0 or McBride getting sent off, it was the fact that the ball didn't even hit Laugherty in the face........now that would have been worth the red card!

Dinkydoo, you are spot on, McBride stupidly drilled the ball into lafferty, but that IMO is NOT violent conduct, its ungentlemanly conduct and is a yellow card offence.

I have seen this happen before, but can never recall a straight red being issued

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    How can deliberately blootering a ball at someone, after the whistle has gone, be deemed as anything else than violent conduct.

"A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality
    against an opponent when not challenging for the ball".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    How can deliberately blootering a ball at someone, after the whistle has gone, be deemed as anything else than violent conduct.

How do you know it was deliberate?
    Had the whistle gone, if so when? Did McBride have time to pull out from making the clearance?

It's not as if Lafferty was lying prostate on the deck, he was still semi upright and moving.

If from a free kick a striker belts the ball into the 'nads of a defender in the wall is this deliberate? Should he be sent off? Surely he should be trying to miss the wall?

McBrides was a ridiculous sending off which should be appealed IMHO. In addition, it's time that the linesmen showed some bottle - they're paid to do a job too.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

What happens then when a free kick is awarded and an opposing player stands within 10yds to stop the quick take and the player taking the kick deliberately blooters the ball against the opposition player? Ordering off?

@hibs.net private member

This is what ex referee Kenny Clark said was the reason for McBride's red. He said it was a stick on sending off, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    How do you know it was deliberate?
    Had the whistle gone, if so when? Did McBride have time to pull out from making the clearance?
    Looked 100% deliberate to me - it wasn't a clearance , it was a clear attempt to hit the guy and it succeeded! I think the whistle may well have gone. Funny how very few people question McBride's attitude here - totally stupid from our POV because his risking a sending off with such a stupid action probably cost us the game: they then adapted better than we did.

Rangers may very well be a bunch of thugs, cheats, imposters, and so on, but we as a team do not have to lower ourselves to their level, surely? If McBride had kept his head I think we would have gone on to win the game: so for me his impetuosity and stupidity did us more harm than Lafferty's actions (he was in Hart's back pocket anyway IMO)

Yogi should have a word with out "hot heads" (Stokes in particular) our squad isn't so big that we can afford to have our best players out for stupid suspensions.