hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Strange quote from Yogi

In today's star..

"we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.
    But I'm no different from any other manager.
    I think I've spent £75,000, and £50,000 was on Alan Gow in a transfer tribunal.
    It would be nice to sit down and say when am I gonna buy someone?"

Why did we have to go to a tribunal over Gow?
    And is Yogi getting frustrated already with his budget?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    He bought Gow for Falkirk.

@hibs.net private member
    Weird. Didn't we buy Stokes? Or was Yogi not involved in that one?

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Weird. Didn't we buy Stokes? Or was Yogi not involved in that one?
    Could have been a sign-on fee paid to the player rather than a payment made to Sunderland FC. Confusing but that might be where Yogi is coming from if he's talking about old-fashioned transfer fees.

However, more recently I thought we had to pay a nominal sum to Norwich for young Stephens? I suspect that alone would have been as much as £50k.

I understand that Yogi is unhappy at the lack of funding, as players have been released, and the resulting monies freed up by wages have not been put back into his spending budget.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    I understand that Yogi is unhappy at the lack of funding, as players have been released, and the resulting monies freed up by wages have not been put back into his spending budget.
    I agree and he's being very smart with his media comments in setting expectations and at the same time pointing out that he's moved on 10 players and brought in less.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    I agree and he's being very smart with his media comments in setting expectations and at the same time pointing out that he's moved on 10 players and brought in less.
    Personally i don't feel its smart at all. All he's done is pointed out the facts. He's like every manager, they always want more players more money, we the fans are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Personally i don't feel its smart at all. All he's done is pointed out the facts. He's like every manager, they always want more players more money, we the fans are no different.
    Exactly. I wouldn't read to much in to it at all.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough bandylegs_jLeighton's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dmcattack
    I am certain that Yogi spent 50k taking Gow to Falkirk. I remember him saying that is all he really spent during his entire tenure there-are you sure this quote does not relate to that?

I am posting from my phone, so can not do a quick check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    SOmeone is about to sign William Gallas. There won't be an official transfer fee but the overall package will cost the 'lucky' club an absolute fortune, so this yardstick of how much a manager has spent can be misleading.

we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.

That doesn't make any sense. We're a blueprint for any other club our size. Sometimes Yogis comments don't make that much sense, but then again I wouldn't trust the star to get anything right. As far as I know a budget is agreed with the manager and he can spend it any way he pleases on one player with high wages or half a dozen on more modest wages. Yogi wants more money to spend on the team which is fair enough so do the fans, while the board have to balance the books.

Surely how much money is available has a great deal to do with ST sales. If Yogi is getting less it might be because less of us, the fans have put our money into the club.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    we're probably one of the clubs that we're the blueprint for any club in Scotland in how to run your business.

That doesn't make any sense. We're a blueprint for any other club our size. Sometimes Yogis comments don't make that much sense, but then again I wouldn't trust the star to get anything right. As far as I know a budget is agreed with the manager and he can spend it any way he pleases on one player with high wages or half a dozen on more modest wages. Yogi wants more money to spend on the team which is fair enough so do the fans, while the board have to balance the books.

Surely how much money is available has a great deal to do with ST sales. If Yogi is getting less it might be because less of us, the fans have put our money into the club.
    As you say its in the star, and the whole lot could be complete bollox. Managers don't tell the press the truth anyway. They just tell them what they want to hear. You very very rarely hear any manager say anything different.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegs_jLeighton View Post
    I am certain that Yogi spent 50k taking Gow to Falkirk. I remember him saying that is all he really spent during his entire tenure there-are you sure this quote does not relate to that?

I am posting from my phone, so can not do a quick check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely correct.

From The Scotsman:-

"I have been in it seven years now and all I have spent is £75k. £50k of that was on Alan Gow"

So... bin yer Daily Rag, and read a real paper

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The only stange quotes from Yogi are the ones that anyone can understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, he's giving the job a right good go.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    That quote is from 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    The only stange quotes from Yogi are the ones that anyone can understand. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, he's giving the job a right good go.