hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar

Thumbs Down Ticket office bans tourists from Sunday's game (Merged threads)

Just had a call from a very annoyed Australian friend of mine over for the Festival. She's a big football fan and was looking forward to seeing the Hibees when she was over.

I should add that she's about 5 ft 2, although obviously poses a high risk of a) causing trouble or b) passing her ticket on to a Rangers fan. That can be the only reason why, when she traipsed down to the ticket office this afternoon, she was refused a ticket because she hadn't been to a Hibs game before.

Now I appreciate that rules are rules and there was trouble the last time Rangers came calling with away fans in the home end. But, in the middle of the Edinburgh Festival when the town is brimming with tourists I would have hoped some discretion could be exercised - especially when we have a new increased capacity which we need all the help we can to fill.

I know I can probably resolve this by arranging for tickets using my own Hibs reference number, but why should it be that difficult? What if my friend didn't know any existing Hibs fans, like the many tourists who will not have such contacts and who will be denied the opportunity to share any positive experiences of watching the Hibees with friends and family when they get home. Hibs are effectively ensuring the "brand" cannot spread.

Stories like this really make me angry with Hibs' administration.

2. Log in to remove the advert

These are SPL rules, not Hibs rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are SPL rules, not Hibs rules.
    Not doubting you Mikey, but this:
    http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/page/Ho...,10290,00.html

"Following supporter feedback and an internal review at the club, Hibernian FC confirmed clear procedures for fans wishing to purchase match tickets."

Suggests this was a Hibs' decision rather than an SPL Rule. I note there is reference to SPL Rules and Guidance further down the page, but only in the context of the sale of tickets to away games.

If she's cute she can have ma laddies seat

James,

I know that this wont resolve the issue of her traipsing down to the ground today but could you not buy the tickets on her behalf as you are on the database?

Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    James,

I know that this wont resolve the issue of her traipsing down to the ground today but could you not buy the tickets on her behalf as you are on the database?
    You're right Dave and I'll probably end up buying tonight online and getting the money from her.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Does that mean the SPL have separate rules for when the OF are the opposition? Presumably the SPL is usually happy with cash gates

@hibs.net private member
    Is it not a rule about it because it's a category A game? Don't you have to be registered with the club for Category B games before you can buy for an A game?

Passport number taken at purchase should surely have sufficed no?

What a complete and utter nonsense.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Just had a call from a very annoyed Australian friend of mine over for the Festival. She's a big football fan and was looking forward to seeing the Hibees when she was over.

I should add that she's about 5 ft 2, although obviously poses a high risk of a) causing trouble or b) passing her ticket on to a Rangers fan. That can be the only reason why, when she traipsed down to the ticket office this afternoon, she was refused a ticket because she hadn't been to a Hibs game before.

Now I appreciate that rules are rules and there was trouble the last time Rangers came calling with away fans in the home end. But, in the middle of the Edinburgh Festival when the town is brimming with tourists I would have hoped some discretion could be exercised - especially when we have a new increased capacity which we need all the help we can to fill.

I know I can probably resolve this by arranging for tickets using my own Hibs reference number, but why should it be that difficult? What if my friend didn't know any existing Hibs fans, like the many tourists who will not have such contacts and who will be denied the opportunity to share any positive experiences of watching the Hibees with friends and family when they get home. Hibs are effectively ensuring the "brand" cannot spread.

Stories like this really make me angry with Hibs' administration.
    While I can understand your frustration, I'm with the ticket office/club/rules on this one.

In the middle of the Edinburgh Festival, any tourist seeking to buy a match ticket is just as likely to support Rangers as they are to support Hibs, or to remain truly neutral. It could even be argued that selling tickets to tourists who may not have any links to Hibs or Rangers increases the potential for trouble at the game.

One of the reasons the rules exist in their current form is to ensure the safety of the home support, which I am happy about.

With regard to your specific scenario, your friend's height is irrelevant and, as you've said, you are fortunately in a position to resolve the issue. Therefore, your friend will be able to attend the game and you'll have played your part in helping to spread the Hibernian brand.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Can't see your point.

A passport number would help catch any baddies, but it wouldn't stop someone getting a sore face. The safety of the support is the most important issue in setting the ticket policy. Let's not also forget that Hibs had a poor record a while back for "not controlling their support"??, so it makes sense for them to be very cautious.

exactly what i was thinking. what a bloody joke thgat place is,no doubt they will carry on with their " one ticket per ST HOLDER " for important all ticket games , if they build it,they will nae fill it even if they come

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    If she's cute she can have ma laddies seat
    Ma laddie says if she cute she can have ma seat.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Ma laddie says if she cute she can have ma seat.

Passport would first of all prove she is a visitor. Secondly could be used to trace her if any trouble at game or ticket given to another person. You could combine this with a note of address whilst in UK and/or flight details.

Means that almost all risk taken away. I've never had any problem getting a ticket for a game whilst I've been abroad.

Hibs/Scottish/UK mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    While I can understand your frustration, I'm with the ticket office/club/rules on this one.

In the middle of the Edinburgh Festival, any tourist seeking to buy a match ticket is just as likely to support Rangers as they are to support Hibs, or to remain truly neutral. It could even be argued that selling tickets to tourists who may not have any links to Hibs or Rangers increases the potential for trouble at the game.

One of the reasons the rules exist in their current form is to ensure the safety of the home support, which I am happy about.

With regard to your specific scenario, your friend's height is irrelevant and, as you've said, you are fortunately in a position to resolve the issue. Therefore, your friend will be able to attend the game and you'll have played your part in helping to spread the Hibernian brand.
    Really? So should neutrals be refused entry in general then?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post

Couldnt disagree more.

How can we (as a club) expect to try grow our own fanbase and core support by not allowing neutrals to come along to a game?

Not just tourists, but the influx of Polish / students etc that are in the city and if their first experience of trying to buy tickets was anything like your Aussie friends - then they would be immediately put off the club.

How many neutrals do Man Utd etc get in a season and the revenue it brings them? Unless the club actively seeks to bring new fans into the fold then attendances will drop year on year.

I think the club is poorly marketed in this regard. Edinburgh is the second biggest tourist destination in the whole country (outside London) and yet visitors wouldnt know we even have football teams here. Not to mention the huge financial district in Edinburgh attracting thousands of wealthy individuals to the city (needing hospitality etc).

There is so many things HFC could be doing to fill the stands and I hope they really focus on this in the coming years / months.

(ie - always thought half the south at Cat B games should be given to Schools. Filling the stadium and attracting the future followers of the club)!

Complete and utter nonscence decision from whoever made the rule (Not sure myself if it's SPL or Hibs).

With so many tourists over right now there must be at least a few into football. Allow tourists to buy tickets and they'll buy food during the game and may even make a few purchases at the club store, it makes business sense to let tourists in. I ken the safety precautions the club/SPL take but common sense should tell them a 5ft 2 Aussie woman isnae going to bring back the days of the CCS.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Donno what the others thought at the listening groups but I got the impression that walk ups in general were not the immediate priority

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    The rules were put in place for a reason.

Do people really think that the club wants to turn business away?

It's unfortunate that there may well be a few that miss out on a particular match but there would be a lot more complaints if we ended up with the opening of the new East Stand tainted with trouble with an infiltration of Rangers supporters.
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

As Hainan says....this lady is hardly going to be a high risk of the re-emergence of the CCS. And with other checks you could take the risks of trouble could be mitigated to make sure that the 99.9% of genuine neutrals can come to the game if they want to.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: lewyhfc
    With the increased capacity, why can we not have a "neutral section" like they have it Craven cottage?

Quote Originally Posted by tam4hibs View Post
    How can we (as a club) expect to try grow our own fanbase and core support by not allowing neutrals to come along to a game?
    One off Festival visitors are not going increase the fanbase. Long term visitors have the ability to attend games by simply purchasing a ticket (Cat B) from the ticket office whilst registering themselves for Cat A.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Tough as it may sound I'm with the TO here as Hibs have absolutely no way of knowing if this Aussie girl is indeed Brenda fi Castlemilk who just happens to watch Neighbours all day and can do an Oz accent to get her and her fella Billy two tickets for the Hibs end as the Huns one is sold out.

The TO is not banning her, there is a method that is well publicised that Hibs will sell tickets to people on the database who can then vouch for others.

Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    One off Festival visitors are not going increase the fanbase. Long term visitors have the ability to attend games by simply purchasing a ticket (Cat B) from the ticket office whilst registering themselves for Cat A.
    So any OF fan can simply pay about 20 quid for a Cat B game (and not even attend) and be assured of tickets to all future OF games at ER in the home end - sounds like a bargain rather than a deterant to me

Quote Originally Posted by hibbybrian View Post
    So any OF fan can simply pay about 20 quid for a Cat B game (and not even attend) and be assured of tickets to all future OF games at ER in the home end - sounds like a bargain rather than a deterant to me
    If they want to go to those sort of lengths to sit on their hands for 90+ minutes, then the answer is yes.

Of course the first time they give themselves away as an OF supporter then they'll be ejected and black-listed on the database.

Do you have a better alternative? I'm sure the ticket office will be interested to hear it.

At the moment it seems that some are suggesting that ticket office staff be trained up to be able to distinguish OF supporters by sight alone.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why not simply allow the legions of police who are paid to stop trouble to do their job - surely it is simple enough to eject someone who is acting the goat at a game.

There comes a point when we have to stop saying "what if" and just react to what's in front of us. Anyway, how many people have had anything more than their feelings hurt at the footy in recent years.

And another thing, if the neds want to get into the ground they will find a way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeeleicester View Post
    With the increased capacity, why can we not have a "neutral section" like they have it Craven cottage?

exactly what i was thinking when reading through thread

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Hmmm really? One off festival visitors?

You mean the biggest arts festival on the planet that literally attracts milliions of people to our city - and by targeting this it wouldnt increase our fanbase?

I went to Newcastle a couple of years ago for work, went to one of their games and I now go down regularly as i enjoyed the experience so much.

Wouldnt the same happen to tourists visiting the city? They aint all from far afield...! and even if it means the ones who are only here for 1 game a year - it could be said there as many local 'supporters' who struggle to make that one game a year aswell.

I for one would hate to see any currant buns get into the home end - but as another poster said its simple enough to eject them. or identification needed etc when purchasing a ticket.

Or... hows about everybody who buys a ticket for the tattoo or visit the castle get a £2 off voucher for a game at ER. Easy, simple and very cheap marketing i say!? Surely this would be as much of a detterent as the Cat B puchase idea and give us some advertising to the visiting millions...?

(Jeez, some people get paid £££ for coming up with such good marketing ideas).