hibs.net Messageboard

What to invest in next?

For years I've been seeing posts on here about shoving money into the squad when clearly the dosh has been needed even more so off the pitch.

Now that we're almost debt free (what is the figure there btw?) are we in a position where if we bring in say 4 Million we could set it aside for the squad?

The whole money being used for new contracts, signings and their wages over a 3-4 year period. See how we fare, if we end up in a position where prize money is going back into the coffers or perhaps had to accept one or two bids that have repaid our investment allowing us to push on.

Perhaps we'll still do no better than 3rd and struggle in Europe so the money whittles away. If we've stuck it in there knowing we're fine should it be fruitless then fair enough, we'll try again later.

I realise we're still some way off for this as Stokes will need another blinding season or DS to step up further.

Or will it be the retractable roof

The future's bright!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For years I've been seeing posts on here about shoving money into the squad when clearly the dosh has been needed even more so off the pitch.

Now that we're almost debt free (what is the figure there btw?) are we in a position where if we bring in say 4 Million we could set it aside for the squad?

The whole money being used for new contracts, signings and their wages over a 3-4 year period. See how we fare, if we end up in a position where prize money is going back into the coffers or perhaps had to accept one or two bids that have repaid our investment allowing us to push on.

Perhaps we'll still do no better than 3rd and struggle in Europe so the money whittles away. If we've stuck it in there knowing we're fine should it be fruitless then fair enough, we'll try again later.

I realise we're still some way off for this as Stokes will need another blinding season or DS to step up further.

The future's bright!
    Sorry to dis-illusion you, but we are quite a distance away from being debt-free - and that's before the financing of the new stand is included - and understood!!

The actual figure you want at 31 July last year is £6.5 million.

I imagine that the operating position for the year to 31 July just ended will likely be cash negative, unless the balance of the Fletcher sale monies, plus any add-ons have already been received.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Plenty to build yet. Retractable roof, Helipad, Jumbotron, Filling in the Corners, Hydralic retractable pitch for winter, Muti storey car park. Plus East Main's needs all those things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    Plenty to build yet. Retractable roof, Helipad, Jumbotron, Filling in the Corners, Hydralic retractable pitch for winter, Muti storey car park. Plus East Main's needs all those things as well.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Maybe we should help Hearts out with their new stand? Love your neighbour and all that. If we can announce and complete a stand in the space of months, we should be able to help them along after their 5 or 6 year wait...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post
    Maybe we should help Hearts out with their new stand? Love your neighbour and all that. If we can announce and complete a stand in the space of months, we should be able to help them along after their 5 or 6 year wait...
    Delivering 12,000 green seats to Tynie....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancienthibby View Post
    Sorry to dis-illusion you, but we are quite a distance away from being debt-free - and that's before the financing of the new stand is included - and understood!!

The actual figure you want at 31 July last year is £6.5 million.

I imagine that the operating position for the year to 31 July just ended will likely be cash negative, unless the balance of the Fletcher sale monies, plus any add-ons have already been received.
    thank you ancient...I spend untold ages trying to convince fellow Hibiees that were DO have debt (its just that its managable) and that we HAVE increased that building the stand...the phrase 'ring fenced' having been misinterpreted as its all there / paid for rather than budget for it is there (i.e. to pay interest payments)
    My guess is that Season Ticket income will not be as good as bugeted for / hoped and so we may need to sell to prevent increase in overall Debt by having operating loss this year.......and at very least to see players come in others will have to be 'lost' from wage bill

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Anyone listen to sportsound at the weekend?
    Archie Lovell was talking about a sea change in football with investment houses getting involved in football I think Liverpool cited as an example
    Sorry not been following this but he suggested Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers were looking to get in that hence the mad trips to Asia and the states
    So in this light would there be a point at which it's not worth heavily investing if all that is on offer is Scottish football with a sprinkling of European flurishes?
    Sorry can't believe I'm writing this as I'm more on the optimistic side caught at a weak moment obv

The future's bright!
    Who says Stokes will be sold like?

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    Who says Stokes will be sold like?
    If he has another season like last I expect he'd attract the sort of interest and bids that we'd have to consider.

Same with Wotherspoon.

If he has another season like last I expect he'd attract the sort of interest and bids that we'd have to consider.

Same with Wotherspoon.
    I'd rather keep him for as long as possible, same with Wotherspoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    I'd rather keep him for as long as possible, same with Wotherspoon.
    So would I but when the rather large bids come in and the player wants to leave it happens. I'm hoping these bids come in as well as the rest of our players as it means they've been playing very well.

First Team Breakthrough Duffys13's Avatar

Same with Wotherspoon.
    Personally, I think Wotherspoon is a long way off a big move

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffys13 View Post
    Personally, I think Wotherspoon is a long way off a big move
    I think playing in midfield he'll be a real talent for us and potentially as good as anyone we've produced in recent years, he's never a right back but hopefully that spell playing there will have done his game a lot of good.

First Team Breakthrough Duffys13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think playing in midfield he'll be a real talent for us and potentially as good as anyone we've produced in recent years, he's never a right back but hopefully that spell playing there will have done his game a lot of good.
    Don't get me wrong, I thought at the start of last season he was the best thing since sliced bread, but by the end of the season he seemed to have lost all the basics. could be his confidence was shattered by that stage, but still think he's got a bit to go. Here's hoping though!!!

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Don't get me wrong, I thought at the start of last season he was the best thing since sliced bread, but by the end of the season he seemed to have lost all the basics. could be his confidence was shattered by that stage, but still think he's got a bit to go. Here's hoping though!!!
    Hibernian Football Club

The future's bright!
    We could always try investing in the purchase of a chain of pubs and restaurants, it should produce a tidy revenue stream. I'm surprised no football clubs have tried diversifying in this way before.

Quote Originally Posted by Lofarl View Post
    would also like to see super-loos,a bit like the ones in Waverley station,but nae attendant. put your pound coin in,like they wee asda thingies and hey presto,yer in,but the toilets could be like the tardis inside, except all shiny aluminium

Petrie to become a Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by down-the-slope View Post
    thank you ancient...I spend untold ages trying to convince fellow Hibiees that were DO have debt (its just that its managable) and that we HAVE increased that building the stand...the phrase 'ring fenced' having been misinterpreted as its all there / paid for rather than budget for it is there (i.e. to pay interest payments)
    My guess is that Season Ticket income will not be as good as bugeted for / hoped and so we may need to sell to prevent increase in overall Debt by having operating loss this year.......and at very least to see players come in others will have to be 'lost' from wage bill
    I'm not sure about the bit in bold. The noises before the rebuild was announced were all about not increasing the debt. At the start of last season we had £2.9m in the bank, with £1.8m to come in from debtors - mainly Fletcher's fixed transfer fee. A fair proportion of that would be ST money needed to cover the season's wages etc, but when you add on Fletcher's add-ons at the end of the season it looks possible that we could have built the stand with cash. If not, I doubt if the debt will have increased greatly.

I also think last season's results will be an improvement on the previous season - better cup runs, higher league placing and one Euro match (away, but I guess we still got some income from it). Also, because of the selective nature of the debt we're discussing it wouldn't increase as a result of trading losses unless we had a bank overdraft and IIRC the club did not renew that facility last year.

Having said all that, I agree entirely with your sentiments.

Coaching Staff
    How about some investment in the actual football side of the business? A manager, for example?

I've been in this position before (on Championship Manager). We had a 60,000 seater stadium, £10 flat rate entry, training facilities, supporters buses, sponsorship deals etc: all the infrastructure was great.

However, my inability to choose a decent formation, make game changing substitutions and sticking with players who regularly didn't put in a shift meant that the 45,000 fans who turned up in any given game were treated to us finishing 4th or 5th and occasionally getting dumped out of Europe by Estonian fishermen.

Having said that, I did lead the Faroe Islands to coming a creditable 3rd in the qualifiers for the world cup.

Has everyone forgotten about our hotel and shopping arcade? I believe Morston has been buying up all the land that currently houses the industrial units between St Clair Street and Albion Place/Hawkhill Avenue
    Last edited by RIP; 11-08-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    How about some investment in the actual football side of the business? A manager, for example?

I've been in this position before (on Championship Manager). We had a 60,000 seater stadium, £10 flat rate entry, training facilities, supporters buses, sponsorship deals etc: all the infrastructure was great.

However, my inability to choose a decent formation, make game changing substitutions and sticking with players who regularly didn't put in a shift meant that the 45,000 fans who turned up in any given game were treated to us finishing 4th or 5th and occasionally getting dumped out of Europe by Estonian fishermen.

Having said that, I did lead the Faroe Islands to coming a creditable 3rd in the qualifiers for the world cup.
    you got my vote mate

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    In addtion to the Trophy Room, newly developed Hall of Fame. Hibs could design a Hibs museum. They could rebuild brick by brick the Old East Loo, where customers can make a contribution by spending a penny drenching their footware for old times sake. Ah the memories.

I'll be able to wear my shoes in the house again, they won't be damp from being at ER.

@hibs.net private member
    Why on earth would Wotherspoon's confidence have been shattered? The season before he never got a sniff of the first team and then he was a regular - I'd have thought his confidence would have been sky high if anything!
    Maybe his slight dip in form had more to do with mental & physical tiredness at having taken the big step up - the initial excitement of having made the first team having died down.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by aberhibsfc View Post
    In addtion to the Trophy Room, newly developed Hall of Fame. Hibs could design a Hibs museum. They could rebuild brick by brick the Old East Loo, where customers can make a contribution by spending a penny drenching their footware for old times sake. Ah the memories.

I'll be able to wear my shoes in the house again, they won't be damp from being at ER.
    I used to have nightmares about needing a Jimmy White at the match, I expect them to stop soon tho