hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hogg

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Chris Hogg

I know it has been done to death however why does he appear to be so untouchable as to not be dropped or subbed and still remains captain when he palpably isnt good enough to merit a jersey. When Hart and Murray were subbed it was amazing given that they are both twice the central defender that IMO Hogg is. Hughes IMO doesnt help himself with what appears to be way too much loyalty to some players.

If we are to do anything this season we need to drop him permanentlyand sort out a defence which is leaking goals. I would rather put Hart in there or Murray and play either Wotherspoon or Hanlon as full back with Bamba. It staggers me he continues to play and captain the club when he looks way out of his depth and completely lacking in any form.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I cannot believe he is still first choice CH for us let alone captain.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it has been done to death however why does he appear to be so untouchable as to not be dropped or subbed and still remains captain when he palpably isnt good enough to merit a jersey. When Hart and Murray were subbed it was amazing given that they are both twice the central defender that IMO Hogg is. Hughes IMO doesnt help himself with what appears to be way too much loyalty to some players.

If we are to do anything this season we need to drop him permanentlyand sort out a defence which is leaking goals. I would rather put Hart in there or Murray and play either Wotherspoon or Hanlon as full back with Bamba. It staggers me he continues to play and captain the club when he looks way out of his depth and completely lacking in any form.

Great post!

You'll get his army of clueless followers along defending him just now..

It's funny the ones that rate Hogg also rate Rankin

I didn't mind Hogg but the last 18 months or so, he has been abysmal. Some would argue even longer than that.

So poor at almost every part of his game. Just so poor.

Left by mutual consent!
    To have played him for 90 mins was IMHO cheating the other lads on the bench + the paying punters.

never rated him as anything more than average, a lot of fans get a hardon for him because of his apparent commitment

Quote Originally Posted by #10 View Post

Great post!

I dont think his performances since he became captain are in any way defensible. Maybe the role is too much for him and he needs to be relieved of it. Where I was sitting De Graff seemed to be doing much more shouting and encouraging than our official captain.

Personally much prefer Rankin as he at leasts contributes to the team however he is IMO much more of a squad player.

I heard a classic leaving the game, two older boys talking about him and one said "Hogg is never a CH" his mate then says "He's never a player" then the first boy turns and says "so were would you play him then?" Quick as a flash the old boy says... Tynecastle!! Have to admit i was chuckling away to myself

Testimonial Due

Great post!

Yup - we're clueless.

Given he's club captain, has been a first team regular under the last five managers and an under 21 international it's not just me being clueless.

Yes that Tony Mowbray - clueless!
    Mark Venus - clueless!
    John Collins - clueless!
    Mixu Paateleinaan - clueless!
    John Hughes - clueless!

Who needs coaching badges or experience when you can simply read Hibs.net and take any old pish spouted against a player and get your coaching badge?

Yes that's the way to do it - let's ignore reality and go with base prejudice and ignorance - that'll see the club right...

Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    So poor at almost every part of his game. Just so poor.
    Scarily accurate personally dont think there is any part of his game he is good at in present form. He isnt quick, he isnt dominant in the air, he cant pass, his control is poor - he must be a dream to play against as a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Yup - we're clueless.

Given he's club captain, has been a first team regular under the last five managers and an under 21 international it's not just me being clueless.

Mark Venus - clueless!
    John Collins - clueless!
    John Hughes - clueless!

Who needs coaching badges or experience when you can simply read Hibs.net and take any old pish spouted against a player and get your coaching badge?

Yes that's the way to do it - let's ignore reality and go with base prejudice and ignorance - that'll see the club right...
    I would love for the guy to be good however think he is awful at present.

Do you honestly think he merits a place in the team never mind as captain given his form in the last year? I think he is probably the weakest player in the team and should be replaced.

I dont think he was a regular under Mowbray and he isnt an u21 international.

Yup - we're clueless.

Mark Venus - clueless!
    John Collins - clueless!
    John Hughes - clueless!

Whilst agreeing that Hogg's performance's have not been vintage of late I would have to agree with this post.

Chill pill required, It isnt all Hogg's fault. Find the real scapegoat...the manager. I am sure Yogi would be first to accept that the blame lies at his dooor for the recent form and results. Not one man.

Great post!

So people who rate him are clueless..... are you the fountain of all knowledge then

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Delabooze View Post
    So people who rate him are clueless..... are you the fountain of all knowledge then
    i can categorically say i know enough about football to say that Chris Hogg has been a terrible CH of late, never mind a captain. he bottles it on the big stage every time. he looks like he doesn't want to be there. we need someone to relish the challenges at the back and drive the team forward. he offers nothing as captain or a player

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-shtuggie View Post
    i can categorically say i know enough about football to say that Chris Hogg has been a terrible CH of late, never mind a captain. he bottles it on the big stage every time. he looks like he doesn't want to be there. we need someone to relish the challenges at the back and drive the team forward. he offers nothing as captain or a player
    What do the rest offer as a matter of interest? Not a lot from where I was watching

First Team Regular
    What do the rest offer as a matter of interest? Not a lot from where I was watching
    you are quite right. hate to pick one out i am just saying Hogg has been offering nothing for ages and he is supposed to be the captain of Hibernian FC. he was no worse than Nish tonight, but that's not saying much. Hart looks shaky but that's maybe because of the formation we are playing( i.e no width) De Graff and Bamba scraped pass marks tonight. Stokes will get there but needs to be a lot sharper. Mcbride and miller were pretty anonymous tonight.

Testimonial Due
    I can categorically state that that I know enough about punctuation that you should start a sentence with a capital letter (unless like me your shift key is a bit dodgy due to a small child hiding banana underneath it).

you are quite right. hate to pick one out i am just saying Hogg has been offering nothing for ages and he is supposed to be the captain of Hibernian FC. he was no worse than Nish tonight, but that's not saying much. Hart looks shaky but that's maybe because of the formation we are playing( i.e no width) De Graff and Bamba scraped pass marks tonight. Stokes will get there but needs to be a lot sharper. Mcbride and miller were pretty anonymous tonight.
    The team was poor as a whole.....

No width, no urgency, no imagination.......

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    As a professional, great, appears to lead by example, live his life the right way etc etc. Always gives his all. Doesn't go out on the lash or come back late from Internationals (ok, I know....)

But surely he is simply never ever good enough for a top 6 SPL club.

First Team Regular
    I can categorically state that that I know enough about punctuation that you should start a sentence with a capital letter (unless like me your shift key is a bit dodgy due to a small child hiding banana underneath it).
    Apologies, i am in full flow rant mode.

Quote Originally Posted by A Regulator View Post
    We were discussing this on the way home(early)..I would keep
    Bamba
    Miller
    Murray

Put up with
    Riordan
    Stokes

Dutch guy .. Need a few games to decide.
    That's it!
    Bamba wants to leave, Murray's pace has deserted him, and Miller is a big time Charlie with no heart......

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought we started off pretty well- they were wary of us getting an early goal and we were wary of losing one too.

Lost all forward momentum when Hoggy ran out of confidence in his own ability to return teh ball under pressure to Smith and decided to turn into one of their guys and lost possession.

Next thing you know we're a goal down - yes poor marking but the ball should have been in play at least half way up the park before then.

Yup - we're clueless.

Mark Venus - clueless!
    John Collins - clueless!
    John Hughes - clueless!

Before telling others they are ignorant, you should ensure that your facts are correct, namely Hogg never played, nor was selected, for England at under-21 level.

Irrespective of past deeds, over the past two years to the present, Hogg has been consistently rank rotten.

Sure he probably has a good attitude and trains diligently, but when it comes to playing competitive matches, he is more often than not is found wanting and is a liability to the defence.

No doubt the rest of the SPL will be rubbing their hands with glee, knowing that this soft touch will still be turning out for us.

Originally Posted by A Regulator
    We were discussing this on the way home(early)..I would keep
    Bamba
    Miller
    Murray

Put up with
    Riordan
    Stokes

Dutch guy .. Need a few games to decide.
    That's it!
    No thanks

Yogi's first mistake was making hin Captain. Not long after that he dropped him, says it all really.

Bamba i'd gladly keep, Riordan too. Stokes decent poacher type, Miller? Jeez, i can't believe he's played for Celtic and Man U.......

Well you wouldn't have been watching Steven Thicot, yet again it seems he is not in Hughes' plans and yet has performed well nearly every time he's been asked to play at centre-half. He's a far more talented player in my opinion than Hogg will ever be. I also hope that if he does get a run in the team, at centre half, that you will be as supportive of him as you are of a player that has been off form for quite some time now, and has been given many more chances. I know you will of course.

If I see Hogg's name on the team sheet again I'm putting on some Crowded House "Don't Dream It's Over" and having a right good greet. It's that depressing now.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

I can only but assume this thread is one of those set to wind others up and test a bit of nerve. Chris Hogg is a hard working competitive strong club captain. I think he should rightly be the 1st name on the teamsheet - IMO he is the player who tries hardest throughout the squad. He doesnt get every decision right but then who does? Hoggy would be my 1st choice as captain and I can not understand those who consistantly play him down as the basil brush of the club. Id much sooner have Murray or McBride booted into touch than our much debated captain. By the way - i thought amongst all, Hogg and Riordan were immense tonight.