hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Hibernian 5 Maribor 1

You read it here first.

We were beaten by the better team on Thursday and that's the truth.

I don't subscribe to the "wrong tactics" theory or some fantasy that a different manager would have done better. We were in a strange environment in the backyard of a team who had already played 4 competitive games without loss, with our players having little or no European experience.

Our guys will be hurting and they'll want to make amends next week.

If our fans can emulate the Maribor fans, even partially, we could be in for an entertaining 90, or 120, minutes.

Mon the Hibs.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You read it here first.

I don't subscribe to the "wrong tactics" theory or some fantasy that a different manager would have done better. We were in a strange environment in the backyard of a team who had already played 4 competitive games without loss, with our players having little or no European experience.

If our fans can emulate the Maribor fans, even partially, we could be in for an entertaining 90, or 120, minutes.

Mon the Hibs.
    Thats the spirit Dave, we need our fans, to be patient and noisy, let us help the team, and nobody should be getting on the players backs....

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delabooze View Post
    Thats the spirit Dave, we need our fans, to be patient and noisy, let us help the team, and nobody should be getting on the players backs....

We need to get them through the gates first!

Left by mutual consent!
    Our guys will be hurting
    decent post Dave but the quote above is the one I need a bit more convincing on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    We need to get them through the gates first!
    If the fans dont turn up then they are not much of a supporter are they?

@hibs.net private member phoenixfire's Avatar
    OH DAVE
    you really are

A RADGE

You read it here first.

Mon the Hibs.

GGTTH.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Would love to believe it is possible but I'll be there more in hope than expectation

I saw it posted somewhere, by some chap who had been in the ticket office, that parts of the ground were sold out and other parts filling up quick.

I’ve got mine!

It’s a damn shame the EAST isn’t ready
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member woodythehibee's Avatar
    i can't wait for Thursday!!

I'm hoping for a great atmosphere and hope that the lack of the East won't affect it at all.

Evening games at Easter Road under the floodlights tend to be a bit special.

There is a bonnie fitba' team...

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    Would love to believe it is possible but I'll be there more in hope than expectation
    Isn't that always the way?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    2 days holiday booked - check
    accommodation booked - check
    ticket for south stand lower booked - check
    Hibs to go through - probably not but what the hell

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    All we need is an early goal.

Last time I felt as sceptical about a game was when I attended the second leg against Napoli.

I'll be at the game but don't hold out much hope just like I felt when I went along to the Napoli game.

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Gutted that i will be in spain

but i agree with you BH i think if we can get an early goal against them it could open up to be an attacking game for us.

I think if we spook them in the first 10 mins we can do it!!

hate to say it but the wee team last year scored early and dominated there match and to be honest had they had a decent enough striker they would have went through!

it can be done it will be done

Hibs will be in the next round!!

I will be cheering from Spain

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

You're coming then?

I'm with Radge on this

But then again I've only had a few hours sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post

You're coming then?

I'm with Radge on this

But then again I've only had a few hours sleep
    Of course we will be there, a good nights sleep and i'm raring to go. Riordan 2 mins, again on 24. De Graff on the hour mark, the crowd are going wild, then 10 minutes to go, Stokes score 2 in a minute.Tavares gets a late consolation for Maribor, and its party time at easter road, Yogi is given the freedom of the city. :notworthy:

First Team Breakthrough persevere1875's Avatar
    I for one am with Hibbyradge, I dont subscribe to all the nonsense we've seen on the Forum since Thursday night, I dont like the yogi must go bo**ocks, I cant believe the amount of posts calling for Bamba to be back in the team, and I dont particularly subscribe to the wrong formation/tactics nonsense, hence why Ive left it till now to post.

Having watched the match, what I saw was a Hibs team who although they undeniably had the lions share of possesion, lacked a cutting edge, I think Nish was the wrong choice up front as lone striker simply because I dont think he gave us enough when it came to holding the ball up, but I still would have (had I been in that position) gone with the same formation. The sad fact is we came up against a team who were fitter, faster and had the killer instinct we didnt have. But in all honesty, did we really expect to go over there against a team who have real competitive football under there belts and expect to come away with a win ??

Personally I believe we'll give them a real battle n the second leg, whether or not we've got enough to overturn the deficit, I dont know, at 2-0 we might have but 3 goals might be asking a little too much.

The question I have to ask is, given recent past experiance in all SPL team's forays into the early rounds of europe, have we as a league got it wrong ? we continually see teams in the early stages of pre season getting tucked away by european teams who have games under there belt, If we introduced a winter break but started the season earlier, would we still be in the same position ?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I just can't see how we are going to get anywhere near pulling three goals back. I haven't seen anything in this team that could convince me otherwise. Sure I'll be there and will cheer the lads on but it would take something extraordinary for us to pull this off.

The AEK game was totally different - McLeish's main tactic was to overload on the right flank with DLC and Orman bombing down the wing and continually firing the ball into the box. That rattled them. Yogi's team can't play like that - we've no pace in the team.

Anyway, starting to look forward to it despite all that!

Left by mutual consent!
    Too many people like yogi on here wait till it is too late to make changes something needs to be
    done now or it's beetween us and the sheep for division 1 next year!

@hibs.net private member Tricla's Avatar
    You read it here first.

Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    IMO opinion Yogi did get it wrong, however that doesnt mean he should be sacked. Every manager makes errors as do players.

IMO a 5 man midfield is a good idea if the players you have are good enough to carry out those roles, without going into a big debate on individual opinions on players I think some midfielders who played are not that great. We should be playing to our strengths and our strengths are not in keeping possesion and are not defending but in going forward.

We can only speculate on if he had played Stokes or Riordan or both but I believe there was a goal in them, a freekick or something, however easy to say if we played them both could have been 5-0 its all about opinion mine is Yogi tried to play tactics with players not fully able to comply.

I said it before an away goal even in a heavy defeat is vital, we are now in a position of needing to go forward and keeping it tight. We certainly have players capable of 3 goals.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 31-07-2010 at 11:35 AM.

pulling 3 goals back will be hard enough without conceding but to get 4....

Although I would love it to happen - I just can't see it.

I predict 2v1 or 3v1 Hibs and that's if Yogi picks the right team.

Left by mutual consent!
    I always have a wee laugh when blinkered undenying loyalty dismisses criticism and historical likelyhood as nonsense. Not at any point in Yogi or Mixu's time could any logical sense expect us to progress. of course all Hibs fans want us through and it is possible but keep it real.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees707070 View Post
    Too many people like yogi on here wait till it is too late to make changes something needs to be
    There's an air of disappointment, but that's crazy talk

Thats pish, i would have played exactly the same formation on thursday, personally i would have had different players in that formation. Although i still think my team would have been pumped.

Talk about pessimistic

We've lost one competitive game 3-0 and suddenly we're relegation material

We can't keep changing the managers everytime something goes wrong. Look at Man Utd for example (Not that we're Man Utd ) Alex Ferguson was one loss away from getting the sack, but he won that game and look at him now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thursday night was the last straw for me with yogi! We were
    shocking end of last season and by th looks of things we have went downhill. Remember going to Hamilton last season and getting beat 2-0 going to be a lot more of they results this season unless something is done. Formation was spot on but the players that played were completely wrong. Could take getting beat 3-0 if we at least looked like trying to sneak a goal but we didn't tried to come away with a 0-0!

You read it here first.

Mon the Hibs.

Just my opinion, but I totally disagree. Hughes isn't good enough and this is going to be a long hard season unless we replace him soon. People have their heads in the sand if they think our form since January is just a blip. I've always felt he isn't clever enough to do the job, but after hearing some of his interviews about not being willing to change his principles I seriously question his sanity (ie he said no team can make "one pass too many earlier" in the week, and then after the Maribor game he said that we don't pass with enough purpose - slight contradiction?).

Left by mutual consent!
    Sesoim - glad to finally hear someone talk sense