hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yogi '' I got it wrong''

In hindsight, it was a bad decision to start with the worst striker we currently have in our squad. deeks and stokes both have far superior strike rates than nish but I thought I'd muck about a bit with the biggest game in 2 years. sorry.
    Bamba is without a doubt our best defender but i dropped him because we are gonna sell him anyway and we might get more money if he is not cup tied in europe. A french club might lose interest.

It is completely unlikely our gaffer will come out and be as honest as this so I thought i would instead!

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough declan macmanus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixtwo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In hindsight, it was a bad decision to start with the worst striker we currently have in our squad. deeks and stokes both have far superior strike rates than nish but I thought I'd muck about a bit with the biggest game in 2 years. sorry.
    Bamba is without a doubt our best defender but i dropped him because we are gonna sell him anyway and we might get more money if he is not cup tied in europe. A french club might lose interest.

It is completely unlikely our gaffer will come out and be as honest as this so I thought i would instead!
    You were doing so well until you mentioned Bamba

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    fair assessment my friend. Big mistake by Yogi tonight

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Thank goodness we're suited to the European style of play. Would hate to think what the score would have been if we weren't.

I wanted Yogi to be good he is not

With players he has he should be capable organisation but we are all over the shop

We dont have quality to pass the ball and give it away that resulted in 2 goals tonight

Honestly there is not another manager in SPL who could not set us up better

To leave 50 goals on the bench when all we are good at is scoring is criminal

16 goals lost against Hamilton Motherwell and St J away from home Who would bet against that again ?

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHERiFF WO0DY
    didn't mr mowbray say something similar before he got the sack from celtic?

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Simply the best.... Excellent post mate, exactly how I feel about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    I wanted Yogi to be good he is not

With players he has he should be capable organisation but we are all over the shop

We dont have quality to pass the ball and give it away that resulted in 2 goals tonight

Honestly there is not another manager in SPL who could not set us up better

To leave 50 goals on the bench when all we are good at is scoring is criminal

16 goals lost against Hamilton Motherwell and St J away from home Who would bet against that again ?

away goals are so vital.

I can see what yogi was trying to do, he wanted to keep it tight n give us a chance back at easter road but it backfired badly tonight.

we should have gone there and played our game and made them adapt to us. whats the worst that could have happenned??? not worse than tonights result anyway!

I am pretty sure we would have got a goal with our best attacking team on from the start!

I'm not angry with tonights performance, just disappointed!

@hibs.net private member
    away goals are so vital.

I can see what yogi was trying to do, he wanted to keep it tight n give us a chance back at easter road but it backfired badly tonight.

we should have gone there and played our game and made them adapt to us. whats the worst that could have happenned??? not worse than tonights result anyway!

I am pretty sure we would have got a goal with our best attacking team on from the start!

I'm not angry with tonights performance, just disappointed!
    Im angry. Im angry for the guys who went to all the trouble to go there and im angry for the fans who couldnt make it. Although not much is known about this team ( Maribor) it doesnt hide the fact that our MAIN strikeforce was left on the bench. No away goals will cost us dear at ER come next thursday. "I made a mistake" is not good enough when there is no europe for us. We need new players at hibs. We have signed one midfielder and a right back of any note and an under 19 defender and people are happy. I fear the worst for next season.
    Last edited by Sweep; 29-07-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC07TY View Post
    Im angry. Im angry for the guys who went to all the trouble to go there and im angry for the fans who couldnt make it. Although not much is known about this team ( Maribor) it doesnt hide the fact that our MAIN strikeforce was left on the bench. No away goals will cost us dear at ER come next thursday. "I made a mistake" is not good when there is no europe for us. We need new players at hibs. We have signed one midfielder and a right back of any note and an under 19 defender and people are happy. I fear the worst for next season.
    There is no reason to fear the worst. I genuinely feel we will not face a tougher game this season than we did tonight. We were behind this team in terms of preperatio and sharpness and that is a severe dissadvantage when you are playing against a quality team. Maribor are a good team. They have won their league several times and have a lot of european experience. I did not expect a good result tonight.

What I did expect is for us to give itt a go and give ourselves a chance. we never really done that.

personally, i think we will do well n the league this year. We have a settled squad and if we can shore up the defence we have every right to expect a good season!

First Team Breakthrough Cabbage_Patch's Avatar
    There is no reason to fear the worst. I genuinely feel we will not face a tougher game this season than we did tonight. We were behind this team in terms of preperatio and sharpness and that is a severe dissadvantage when you are playing against a quality team. Maribor are a good team. They have won their league several times and have a lot of european experience. I did not expect a good result tonight.

What I did expect is for us to give itt a go and give ourselves a chance. we never really done that.

personally, i think we will do well n the league this year. We have a settled squad and if we can shore up the defence we have every right to expect a good season!
    Good to be optimistic mate but i also fear the worst. I dont think we will be fighting relegation or anything but i feel we will struggle for the top 6. Hughes tactically made a massive cock up tonight. He leaves not only last seasons top scorer on the bench in Stokes but Riordan aswell!. Did Hughes watch our pre season games!? Riordan has been playing out his skin pre season and scored in every game. Why he made the decision to bench them and opt for a 4 5 1 nobody knows but Hughes. Seriously though if he had played 4 4 2 tonight whats the worst that could have happened? we might have still been beaten but I think we would have at least got an away goal out of it maybe 2. I totally gutted and dissapointed tonight, most of all with Hughes's blatant lack of belief in his own team. The negative formation hurt us

I would say, in spite of all my posts tonight, the one thing Hughes DID get right was dropping Bamba.

Turn up for work, get paid, enjoy the plaudits and reap the rewards.

Dinny bother and err, dinny bother.

Professional fitba players areny paid peanuts, even at Hibs. It's no a kickaboot. So turn up for work. If ye canny dae that, piss off. We're no pissing aboot here and I see no reason why we should BE pissed aboot by ANYONE.

There's five players come close and another handful in a similar God-like strati to claim to be close but NOBODY, NOBODY, is bigger than the club. Certainly not Sol Bamba. Fact. Ironically, some of the afforementioned LEGENDS wouldn't have dreamed of ****ing on Hibs and not turning up for work or having no work ethic or a bad attitude..................

ENDOF

I would hope any manager would have done the same regarding Bamba. The guy has little or no interest playing for our club. Good player, **** attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by sh00byd00 View Post
    I would hope any manager would have done the same regarding Bamba. The guy has little or no interest playing for our club. Good player, **** attitude.
    I am not sure if i agree. I think it suits hibs if there is a public disagreement. As much as I hope this isn't the case, i can't help think that the breakdown in communication regarding his return, came from the hibs end.

It suits us to sell an international player worth £1m+ before he enters his last year of his contract. The player is also more valuable / marketable, if he is not cup tied or injured.

If bamba played tonight, he could have been injured and would have been cup tied.

I would not be surprised to learn that it was the boards plan to stop him playing tonight.

I will be surprised if sol is in our squad next season

Most of the comments here are bang on. The one thing that does my head in is this constant crap
    about playing NOT to get beat away in europe rather than playing to win. It's a ****ing disease this 4-5-1 nonsense..
    The worst thing you can do is hand the initiative to the opposing team right from the off and we set our stall up to do just that. You have to play your best players and play to your strengths. We did not kow enough
    about this team to hand them so much respect. Playing W'spoon out of position for example just takes the piss
    BTW and certainly does not help us. Yogi, I am running out of excuses for you mate !!

I am not sure if i agree. I think it suits hibs if there is a public disagreement. As much as I hope this isn't the case, i can't help think that the breakdown in communication regarding his return, came from the hibs end.

It suits us to sell an international player worth £1m+ before he enters his last year of his contract. The player is also more valuable / marketable, if he is not cup tied or injured.

If bamba played tonight, he could have been injured and would have been cup tied.

I would not be surprised to learn that it was the boards plan to stop him playing tonight.

I will be surprised if sol is in our squad next season
    I spoke to Stokes on tuesday and he suggested that Bamba was sure in his own head that he would'nt
    even be coming back to Hibs after the WC. The only thing about it was that Hibs had not had 1 single offer for him.
    bamba's head a wee bit too big ATM me thinks. We might not be able to get rid right now.

We're not good enough to be clever at this level.

We needed to play our best players from the start and hoped to god we got away with a 1-0 or summit, but I have to say I was truly and utterly gobsmacked by that team selection tonight, I really was.

IMO Yogi needs to stop trying to be clever and play our best team , in the right positions and stop trying to outfox the fox.

I like Yogi, I really do but he disnae half piss you off sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    Most of the comments here are bang on. The one thing that does my head in is this constant crap
    about playing NOT to get beat away in europe rather than playing to win. It's a ****ing disease this 4-5-1 nonsense..
    The worst thing you can do is hand the initiative to the opposing team right from the off and we set our stall up to do just that. You have to play your best players and play to your strengths. We did not kow enough
    about this team to hand them so much respect. Playing W'spoon out of position for example just takes the piss
    BTW and certainly does not help us. Yogi, I am running out of excuses for you mate !!

Defending is the worst part of our game yet we set up to defend?????

To me, Hughes biggest mistake on the night was probably not bringing on Riordan and Stokes earlier when Maribor seemed to be so much in command. But to be quite honest, even though I totally agree with the reasons for omitting Bamba, and if I'd been manager I would have done the same, if you're setting out a team to defend for long periods of the game, and that's what Hughes seemed to do, Bamba, one of our better defenders, needed to be there. Personally, I would have given Thicot a chance at centre half, and dropped Hogg altogether but that's history. And yes, I do worry about the forthcoming season, because as someone has already said, the same problems still seem to exist in the team. Our defence, at the moment just isn't good enough, Hogg just hasn't got it, and it is starting to have a detrimental effect on Hanlon too. Now there is real pressure on ALL the team, the strikers have to score at least 3 goals against this team to just take it to extra time, and the team as a whole will have to put in an exceptional performance, which for the most part last season, they just didn't seem capable of. After all that, I really hope we can put ourselves in with a chance next week, because THAT kind of performance would give us all something tangible to look forward to, and hopefully we could kick on from there. But we'll see.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Totally agree ............was watching the telly and we had 66% of the ball in the first half..Fair enough we did **** all with it in terms of shots..Only thing that let down our passing game was a bit of sharpness imo..Next week with deeks and Stokes on we will give a better account.......

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    I would say, in spite of all my posts tonight, the one thing Hughes DID get right was dropping Bamba.

Turn up for work, get paid, enjoy the plaudits and reap the rewards.

Dinny bother and err, dinny bother.

Professional fitba players areny paid peanuts, even at Hibs. It's no a kickaboot. So turn up for work. If ye canny dae that, piss off. We're no pissing aboot here and I see no reason why we should BE pissed aboot by ANYONE.

There's five players come close and another handful in a similar God-like strati to claim to be close but NOBODY, NOBODY, is bigger than the club. Certainly not Sol Bamba. Fact. Ironically, some of the afforementioned LEGENDS wouldn't have dreamed of ****ing on Hibs and not turning up for work or having no work ethic or a bad attitude..................

ENDOF

Promising Youngster
    Its late here had a few beers, but I am so tired of hearing Yams tck tock, cannae pay wages, cannae sign players. And then late as it may be to sign in to see how we done today. Well we got whipped three nothing, helluva hill top climb to get bajk. We made Europe but thats good news bad news. I am not sure, and I admit I have imbibed, but what strategy leaves out Deek and Stokes for a big game. But thats why I am in Canada drunk and not running Hibs.

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    about playing NOT to get beat away in europe rather than playing to win.
    It's a ****ing disease this 4-5-1 nonsense..
    Absolutely agree with this. I never realised until recently that you couldn't have a team that could defend and score goals!!! Its a complicated thing this. Perhaps we should go down the american football route and have two teams for every game, when you go a goal down you put on your attack, when you're winning you put on your defence. Not sure what would happen in no score though.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc

Still think we should be toughening up the defence and defensive midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Patch View Post
    Good to be optimistic mate but i also fear the worst. I dont think we will be fighting relegation or anything but i feel we will struggle for the top 6. Hughes tactically made a massive cock up tonight. He leaves not only last seasons top scorer on the bench in Stokes but Riordan aswell!. Did Hughes watch our pre season games!? Riordan has been playing out his skin pre season and scored in every game. Why he made the decision to bench them and opt for a 4 5 1 nobody knows but Hughes. Seriously though if he had played 4 4 2 tonight whats the worst that could have happened? we might have still been beaten but I think we would have at least got an away goal out of it maybe 2. I totally gutted and dissapointed tonight, most of all with Hughes's blatant lack of belief in his own team. The negative formation hurt us
    How do you come to this conclusion? What aspects of there defence did you see that was weak?

Scottish teams have been poor in Europe for years now and one of the biggest criticisms is they don't play the European way (I would bet you that Maribor would have taken a Yogi approach if the first leg had been away). Our bigget issue is not that we played 4-5-1 but that our lone striker cannot/did not have the physical presence to be a nuisance and hold the ball up. I might add that Stokes and Riordan would suffer from the same problem.

I am of course disappointed but we don't have a huge amount of european experience of late, we were up against a team who came second in their league and have European experience of late.

I am possibly naively optimistic that if we can get one goal in the first 20 mins then we might be in with a sniff.

Yogi is quoted as saying that the team is still short in a number of areas, so at least he does recognise this. The tactics he used may have been sound if we had the players to play those tactics.

To work the 4-5-1 system, controlling the ball and using a lone striker, you need players who can actually hold on to the ball and not give it away in silly areas. You also need a mobile lone striker who can hold on to the ball long enough (inferring good ball control) for supporting midfielders to catch up.

Hibs just either don't have the players for that kind of game or, in the case of the striker role, the wrong player was picked. You can take two views here: Blame the players we have for their obvious deficiencies or blame the manager for not recognising it and going with those tactics regardless. I'm not sure at the moment but going with a bit of both just now.

As an aside, congratulations to Motherwell on a good result. Just shows that Scottish teams with limited means can do reasonably well in Europe with the right manager at the helm.

Look,

we're crap, the Yam Bams are crap, Celtc are crap the Huns are crap, SCOTTISH FITBA' IS CRAP!!!

Its never going to change because not enough money is spent on sport as a whole in this country! There's no facilities, there's no coaches, there's no desire. the same can be said of England I suppose. Scottish Football is pretty much dead.

The blazers (masons) at the SFA will never give up their jobs because its too much money for them. You need football people in charge, Platini, Beckenbauer guys like that! John Collins might have been a fairly pish manager for Hibs but he has all the right football philosophy's, work ethic, discilpline, etc etc. I've heard him on the TV saying that we're never going to get better until we start getting comfortable on the ball. Get the kids from day 1 passing and moving. He was basically slating the football culture in this country but he was 100% right! Get him in the SFA, Pat Nevin, there must be loads of guys who have played to a high level, football people for football jobs!

Scottish football is proper cack, we've stood still while every other country in Europe just about is moving forward!

Thats more of a rant about Scotland than Hibs but it still all relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Look,

we're crap, the Yam Bams are crap, Celtc are crap the Huns are crap, SCOTTISH FITBA' IS CRAP!!!

Its never going to change because not enough money is spent on sport as a whole in this country! There's no facilities, there's no coaches, there's no desire. the same can be said of England I suppose. Scottish Football is pretty much dead.

The blazers (masons) at the SFA will never give up their jobs because its too much money for them. You need football people in charge, Platini, Beckenbauer guys like that! John Collins might have been a fairly pish manager for Hibs but he has all the right football philosophy's, work ethic, discilpline, etc etc. I've heard him on the TV saying that we're never going to get better until we start getting comfortable on the ball. Get the kids from day 1 passing and moving. He was basically slating the football culture in this country but he was 100% right! Get him in the SFA, Pat Nevin, there must be loads of guys who have played to a high level, football people for football jobs!

Scottish football is proper cack, we've stood still while every other country in Europe just about is moving forward!

Thats more of a rant about Scotland than Hibs but it still all relevant.

The thing is, you mention money, but Scotland is still one of the richest countries in the world. However, I do think we have a lot of imposters in charge of football. Scotland produces a lot more great managers than it should, we obviouly have people that understand football, so why do we have these fat administrators in charge at the SFA who just want to sit at tables with their tea and biscuits talking **** all day?

Personally, I think we have to come up with our OWN style of football in Scotland - passing and possession doesn't work well in our wintertime and most of us do prefer to watch a faster more physical style, so why can't we develop a hybrid style that suits us and still gets results?

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Yogi is quoted as saying that the team is still short in a number of areas, so at least he does recognise this. The tactics he used may have been sound if we had the players to play those tactics.

To work the 4-5-1 system, controlling the ball and using a lone striker, you need players who can actually hold on to the ball and not give it away in silly areas. You also need a mobile lone striker who can hold on to the ball long enough (inferring good ball control) for supporting midfielders to catch up.

Hibs just either don't have the players for that kind of game or, in the case of the striker role, the wrong player was picked. You can take two views here: Blame the players we have for their obvious deficiencies or blame the manager for not recognising it and going with those tactics regardless. I'm not sure at the moment but going with a bit of both just now.

As an aside, congratulations to Motherwell on a good result. Just shows that Scottish teams with limited means can do reasonably well in Europe with the right manager at the helm.

I would have expected a target man to be one our prioroities along with a quality CB, but we haven't signed either yet. I shouldn't really be surprised though, I haven't got a clue what is going on in Hughes' head, but he seems to think that passing is the only thing you need to do to win matches.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete70 View Post
    fair assessment my friend. Big mistake by Yogi tonight
    I think we are getting to the stage where he has very few "get out of jail" cards left.