hibs.net Messageboard

Cheap Pubs in Town

I'm Looking for pubs or bars in Town at weekends who do cheap bev preferably cheap Guiness ha, Since Bar Salsa(sp) in the Grassmarket has had their liscense taken off them for a couple of months

Cheers

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_hfc3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm Looking for pubs or bars in Town at weekends who do cheap bev preferably cheap Guiness ha, Since Bar Salsa(sp) in the Grassmarket has had their liscense taken off them for a couple of months

Cheers
    The globe used to be pretty cheap, not been in for a while though but might be worth a try.

Why did bar salsa lose its license

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    The globe used to be pretty cheap, not been in for a while though but might be worth a try.

Aii I've been to the Globe before Guiness was about £4 for a pint which is the same as 3 sisters which is a farse, im sure the larger wasn't too cheap either.

My mate was sayin they have a sign up sayin its closed for 4 months or so, their liscense hasn't been lost but its been suspended by the police because of the amount of trouble they've had to deal with, think it was something like 40 odd callouts in the past couple of weeks or months

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hanny0762

Globe is still quite reasonable.

Also, Standing Order on George St if cheapness is essential.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by paul_hfc3 View Post
    Aii I've been to the Globe before Guiness was about £4 for a pint which is the same as 3 sisters which is a farse, im sure the larger wasn't too cheap either.

My mate was sayin they have a sign up sayin its closed for 4 months or so, their liscense hasn't been lost but its been suspended by the police because of the amount of trouble they've had to deal with, think it was something like 40 odd callouts in the past couple of weeks or months
    Not sure about Guinness but Carlsberg is £2.25 a pint in Globe, there's big posters behind the bar with the prices anyway.

Aye, too much bother in and around Salsa recently, the mass brawl after the Derby amongst other instances.

The biggest ****hole in the town otherwise known as Andersons on Lothian Road is dirt cheap, I honestly wouldn't bother unless you feel depressed 'cos after looking around for 2 mins you'll realise life could be much worse!

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    The Grapes up on Clerk St Guinness is £2.40 all other pints are under £2 house nip with your dash £1
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

I'm shocked it's taken so long. I was drinking in Bar Salsa every weekend when i was 15, the place seemed to have a bit of an open door policy. A few cracking nights in there though so not going to knock it.

For cheapness Standing Order is always a shout, the place has less atmosphere than the moon though.

Left by mutual consent!
    The globe is 2.95 a tennents and 2quid a vodka and dash. It has the same owners as bar salsa according to the paper. Bar salsa was great for a cheap bevvy.

I think the grapes is on a par with Andersons from what I hear and not much different from the 1/4 gill (it's previous name) but could be wrong. It's 2.85 a tennents in the tron.

One of the biggest talking points when you go up town now is how ****ing expensive it is. Get to your local miners club. £1.50 a voddie.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    The Grapes up on Clerk St Guinness is £2.40 all other pints are under £2 house nip with your dash £1
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    I think the grapes is on a par with Andersons from what I hear and not much different from the 1/4 gill (it's previous name) but could be wrong.
    I'd steer well clear of there to be honest, since the demise of the Wine Glass and the Junction Bar most of the less reputable drinkers round that way have found their way there.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    What do people class as a cheap pint these days in town?

I find the norm is around £3.50 for a lager and I drink all over the place...anything more than £4 and I start to get a bit annoyed but saying that most places you know the prices and if you want a cheap night go to the cheap bars.

The Outhouse isn't too expensive, round about £3.20 for a pint or Star Bar in the new town.

Or just go to any other Wotherspoon pubs with the jake balls...
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post

I find the norm is around £3.50 for a lager and I drink all over the place...anything more than £4 and I start to get a bit annoyed but saying that most places you know the prices and if you want a cheap night go to the cheap bars.

The Outhouse isn't too expensive, round about £3.20 for a pint or Star Bar in the new town.

Or just go to any other Wotherspoon pubs with the jake balls...
    Proper cheap is c.£2 a pint - now confined to few places, and even fewer decent places.

Town cheap is, now sadly, c.£3 a pint. Any place you can get a pint for £2.60 - £2.95 is very good, Lord Bodo's being a good example.

The Thistle Street Bar reflects typical town prices, about £3.60 for Kirin or Red Stripe and £4.20 odds for Peroni.

Speaking of which, I think I paid £5 for a pint of Peroni at Hotel Missoni not that long ago

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    The Vat & Fiddle on Lothian

£2.19 for a Carlsberg & Foster

Quote Originally Posted by Gramo View Post
    The Vat & Fiddle on Lothian

£2.19 for a Carlsberg & Foster
    Surely a Hearts pub.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Surely a Hearts pub.
    As a near shareholder in the place, I could have a word with the manager to give it a coat of paint

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramo View Post
    As a near shareholder in the place, I could have a word with the manager to give it a coat of paint
    Also owned by the same lads who've got The Globe, Binkies, Salsa, Royal Mile Tavern and the old Faith (now Sin).

I gave them a fair earful about the colour of the VAT when I was working there during it's minor refurb. Think they were limited to certain colours though.

Sin still offers £2 quid a dring for everything (same deals as Salsa but doesn't open til 10pm.

And tell Wayne he's a knob Gramo

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    The globe is 2.95 a tennents and 2quid a vodka and dash. It has the same owners as bar salsa according to the paper.

I think the grapes is on a par with Andersons from what I hear and not much different from the 1/4 gill (it's previous name) but could be wrong.
    I believe Andersons is owned by the same people too!

Not a question about Pubs as such but does anyone know if City is a student night on a Saturday or just normal?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post

My local is £2.85 for a pint of lager. I think £3 is getting a bit much to be honest but it's only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£3.85 for a pint of Stella in the Peartree and it's bowf.

Had a nice pint of Carlsberg (or was it Fosters?) for £2.35 at the Southsider. Lovely it was.

Left by mutual consent!
    3.50 for a carlsberg or san miguel at Cargo and both taste like pish. 3.70 a vodka and coke as well. Joke.

new wethersppons opened on george street, the alexander graham bell thinks its called, where bar38 use to be £7 a bottle of rose £2.40 a pint

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    The grapes is an absolute dive. See people standing out smashed at 9am.

The Jekyl & Hyde on Hanover Street is dirt cheap Sunday to Thursday and its not a bad wee boozer either. £1.50 a pint of Fosters , £1.65 a Strongbow and bout £1.80 a vodka mixer cant beat it

@hibs.net private member hibby19's Avatar
    £2.58 for a pint of Guiness at my work Paul, I've tried countless time to get you lot to come
    £2.47 for a lager and £2.17 for a pint of Best aswell
    Only thing is that it's a Bowling club so not quite a night out atmosphere and not in town.
    ".....Hearts midfielder Laryea Kingston insists he can fulfil all his dreams at Tynecastle - by winning the SPL and a European trophy.
    The Ghanaian is certain the Jambos will soon become a major power at home and abroad"

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I can't wait to get back to Edinburgh for some cheap booze. I'm over in oz at the moment and booze is ridiculous. A cheap 'schooner' (about 380ml I think) will cost about 4 quid