hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Victory for Football

I could not have lived with the thought that Mark Van Bommel was a world cup winner. And what about the English representative in the final that the commentators kept going on about - Howard Webb is a bottler!! At least 2 Dutch players should have been off in the first half - Van Bommel and De Jong. At least the team that played football won.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by johncrobertson@ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could not have lived with the thought that Mark Van Bommel was a world cup winner. And what about the English representative in the final that the commentators kept going on about - Howard Webb is a bottler!! At least 2 Dutch players should have been off in the first half - Van Bommel and De Jong. At least the team that played football won.
    Unbelievable that De Jong wasn't sent off. The Dutch tried to kick Spain off the park.

And that greetin faced dick Roben should have got a second yellow when he kicked the ball away.
    So glad Spain won as I lived over that way for nearly 20 years and have a soft spot for them.

It's hard to tell with some of the challenges. The Spanish are good at diving the same as all teams.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by woody47 View Post
    And that greetin faced dick Roben should have got a second yellow when he kicked the ball away.
    So glad Spain won as I lived over that way for nearly 20 years and have a soft spot for them.
    Spot on and Webb booked Xavi for kicking the ball away after Robben got away with it - what was that about?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    It's hard to tell with some of the challenges. The Spanish are good at diving the same as all teams.
    Even given we have the luxury of at least five replays on each foul you must be joking !!!!!!!
    The first half Dutch performance was cynical to say the least .
    "A victory for football" as the OP rightly says

@hibs.net private member
    I started out wanting the Dutch to win it but their unsporting behaviour makes me feel justice was done so congratulations and well done to Spain.

As for the ref - I thought his job was made very difficult by the Dutch approach to the game - if he flashed the cards too readilly he would have been accused of spoiling the contest in some quarters. He definately made some mistakes though and the Dutch were very lucky still to have 11 on the park at HT.

You also must remember though that Van Bommel has been conning refs left right and centre throughout the whole tourney - so for me the ref scraped pass marks in what was a very difficult game to handle.

That match proved that Howard Webb failed to apply the rules of the game correctly. It matters not whether it was Spain v Holland in the World Cup Final or Burton Albion v Shrewsbury in League Two in England the 'rules' applied by Webb in South Africa would have had him roundly condemned in his own country if applied there.

I was mega disappointed in the Dutch as I'm pretty sure they could have given Spain a run for their money without resorting to GBH
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    That match proved that Howard Webb failed to apply the rules of the game correctly. It matters not whether it was Spain v Holland in the World Cup Final or Burton Albion v Shrewsbury in League Two in England the 'rules' applied by Webb in South Africa would have had him roundly condemned in his own country if applied there.

I was mega disappointed in the Dutch as I'm pretty sure they could have given Spain a run for their money without resorting to GBH
    I wouldn't be surprised, J, if pressure was put on HW to make this a "showpiece" by being lenient. In the event, of course, it would probably have been a better spectacle if he HAD sent at least one off.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Dont care about any victory for football, i had £20 Spain to win in extra time, 9/1. This world cup has been fantastic betting wise. Just had a look at all my bets from day 1, and i am £720 up. QUALITY.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised, J, if pressure was put on HW to make this a "showpiece" by being lenient. In the event, of course, it would probably have been a better spectacle if he HAD sent at least one off.
    He did.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    He did.
    Och, FRO. You know what I meant.

Insert grey moment smiley....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Dont care about any victory for football, i had £20 Spain to win in extra time, 9/1. This world cup has been fantastic betting wise. Just had a look at all my bets from day 1, and i am £720 up. QUALITY.
    Come on Blackpool Hibs - we all know you put great football before personal gain!!!

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Well if that is what Dutch football has become, then total football is dead. Total thuggery and deception seem to have taken over. I thought Uruguay were the worst cloggers in football!!! And as for Robben, send him to the Island of his surname. What a knob!!!

Spain may have retaliated, but at least tried to play football. Holland were so disappointing and killed off the game as a spectacle. Best team won!

Come on Blackpool Hibs - we all know you put great football before personal gain!!!
    My erse, show me the money.

and I think they must regret it. That was a dressing room decision as they took it in turns to kick Spains best players. Lack of confidence? It looked as if they conceded Spain were the better team, It backfired. Iniesta was immense. After his tussle where he got booked? you could see him just saying, **** it, back heels, cheeky flicks. he's the boy that stepped up and won the cup.

campiones

went to the pub today to watch the match ( a tad early admittently) and I thought the oranje had enough in themselves to win it, but the best team won. I thought that Shneider and Robbens would be too much to handle,for Espana~ but got that wrong. There was a Spanish guy,ootside the boozer,almost distraught at the second break and on the moby to someone at home.we got a few guys/young burds oot o' the pub to hug and console him, and when they won, it was unbelievable. sure he wet himself

Just watched the highlights again, and webb was poor. Failed to spot the corner before Spain scored. Should have sent off 2 more dutch players. I just suppose he gave a typical English performance.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Totally agree with you, John. The rules are the same regardless of the status of the match concerned. Webb did the same in the FA Cup Final - Vidic should have walked early one, Webb let him off. That decision (or lack of a decision) had a crucial effect on the outcome of the game. The same could have happened last night.

I started off rather favouring the Dutch as underdogs, but the first half changed my attitude completely. The Dutch don't have to play like that - they're much better than that - but there was good reason to have sent off at least three and possibly four of their players by half-time. If Webb had dealt with the FIRST offender (Van Bommel - no surprise there then) the rest of the game might have been a better spectacle. Some of those challenges were utterly beyond excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Nor would I, but IMO that doesn't excuse him. He's the guy who has the responsibility to apply the rules, and the authority to do so. The flying boot into Alonso's chest was potentially extremely dangerous; one or two of the other challenges were leg-breakers. I was very impressed by the Spanish response - they held their discipline very well.

The English officials were as good as the English team - not good enough to be present at the event. Since they won the match, I don't suppose they'll do it, but if I were the boss of the Spanish FA, I'd be thinking very seriously of making a formal complaint about Webb. He chickened out of his responsibilities - a coward, IMO.

That's the worst Holland team I've seen. Spain frustrate me as I hate teams who pass pass pass without really creating much (four 1-0s in a row says it all). All in all, a poor final to round off a poor tournament - the only consellation is that a new team has won. But it says it all when by the quarter finals I was starting to want Germany to win.

If only Mexico and Chile had decent finishers...

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Totally agree with you, John. The rules are the same regardless of the status of the match concerned. Webb did the same in the FA Cup Final - Vidic should have walked early one, Webb let him off. That decision (or lack of a decision) had a crucial effect on the outcome of the game. The same could have happened last night.
    Agreed except that it was the League Cup Final between Villa and Man U not the FA Cup final.

Webb certainly bottled sending off Vidic and did so again in the World Cup Final.

Not keen on the Dutch with their antics, dives throughout the competition that should all be performed at the Commie Pool, and De Jong should be the next Jackie Chan.

Well Done Spain

Testimonial Due
    I thought that the best team over the whole competition won it tonight.

Howard Webb did well, it was physical, but he controlled it.
    Dont think that there was too much malice in any of the controversial trackles, just pure 100% going for the ball, but timing wrong. It could have been alot worse.

Both teams had their spells and it was an enjoyable and entertaining football game.

Viva Espana .

Quote Originally Posted by Ants View Post
    I thought that the best team over the whole competition won it tonight.
    Exactly. Regardless of the fact they've won most games 1-0, they have been by far and away the most accomplished footballers in the tournament. It's worth pointing out that they haven't conceded a goal since the group stages and they made the coveted Germans look pretty damn average. Fabregas, Silva and Torres on the bench? Embarrassment of riches.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Did Howard Webb have poor game? Funnily enough the commentators and guys in the studio didn't pick up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Unbelievable that De Jong wasn't sent off. The Dutch tried to kick Spain off the park.
    I have seen jail sentences given out for less, that was a shocker

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been happy whatever team won. The two teams in the final were a victory for anti-football, Netherlands with their thuggery and Spain with their 90's Arsenal 1-0 wins.

World cup winners who scored 7 goals in six games?

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I don't get this love affair with spain, I struggle to stay awake when they play. I know they pass a lot but that doesn't necessarily make it exciting. Much rather the krauts had won, at least they pass with an attacking purpose. The next euros should be interesting as there team will be that bit older and more experienced by then. Also, scotland might be there

Holland really should have played football though!!

In regards to the ref, I don't think he could have came out of that game covered in glory no matter what he done. If he sent players off left right and centre he would be slated, if he doesn't he is slated. Normally seems like a decent ref, not sure anyone else would have done better.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    Did Howard Webb have poor game? Funnily enough the commentators and guys in the studio didn't pick up on that.
    What isn't surprising is that the English guy's being slaughtered on here!