hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Do we need anymore?

With hart, stephens and de graaf signed do we need anymore signings or are we happy with our squad?? Personally i think we could do with a centre back or defensive mid player

2. Log in to remove the advert

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We need a more experienced centre back, and possibly another McBride-esque signing. So, basically the same as you mate.

First Team Regular
    We sure do-lets not kid ourselves we dont need more.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Another left back too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member Big90inOz's Avatar
    Still think we need a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

If the rumour of us trying to sign Kyle are correct then we may see at least another signing to come.

Any of the .net winkers have any news ?
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence,therefore, is not an act but a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Big90inOz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still think we need a physical presence up front who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

If the rumour of us trying to sign Kyle are correct then we may see at least another signing to come.

He signed for Hearts!

Oops, I see what you're trying to say. I think.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Another left back too.
    I don't feel a left back is essental, unless Bamba leaves and Yogi wants to pair Murray with Hogg. I think Murray will stay at left back next year, plus in reserve you have both Hanlon and Stevenson plus Boothy coming through. We certanly need another centre half though.

Being greedy, i'd like another striker.

Being very greedy, i'd love us to sign a monster for midfield, a big laddie who'll scare the ***** out of opponents. A bully basically, who'll stick the boot in, get the team up for it. The kind of guy who can't do more than 2 keepie-uppies but can win the ball and give it to the guys who can play. A big, scary, dirty McBride would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    I don't feel a left back is essental, unless Bamba leaves and Yogi wants to pair Murray with Hogg. I think Murray will stay at left back next year, plus in reserve you have both Hanlon and Stevenson plus Boothy coming through. We certanly need another centre half though.

Being greedy, i'd like another striker.

Being very greedy, i'd love us to sign a monster for midfield, a big laddie who'll scare the ***** out of opponents. A bully basically, who'll stick the boot in, get the team up for it. The kind of guy who can't do more than 2 keepie-uppies but can win the ball and give it to the guys who can play. A big, scary, dirty McBride would be ideal.
    I'd like to see a new left back so Murray could play in the midfield.

Also, Bamba would fit your description, methinks.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big90inOz View Post

Nicky Butt.

Left back, big nasty git in central mid and another striker should do it for now.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Another left back, murray was shown up towards the end of last season. He has no pace, no real ability when going forward, cant cross a decent ball, but is a 100% player, but we need better more creative players from the wide left position.

Another left sided Midfielder, and a good quality centre half, as i'd expect Bamba to be off soon.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

We now have Zouma, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith available for midfield, mind.

I'd like to see a BIG experienced centre-back, another striker, and yes, a left-back to allow Ian M into midfield when circumstances demand. I won't be at all surprised if big Davey S doesn't figure in the first team sooner rather than later, mind. He seems to be a very mature and collected young man.

I do expect at least one, possibly two additional arrivals later into the window, but I suspect we won't hear too much until the deal's done.

That seems to be the way Rod and Yogi do business, and a very good way it is, too.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Concur with the centre half situation, maybe two if Bamba leaves. Would also agree with the poster who would like a big player in the centre of midfield as the centre looks weak unless De Graaf is earmarked for that role.

Rankin, Stevenson and McBride are all fairly neat footballers but aren't prone to throwing themselves into bone crunching tackles.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a five man midfield next season.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    We now have Zouma, Miller, McBride, De Graaf, Wotherspoon, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith available for midfield, mind.

But Doddie, two of those don't count and one's only good for half a season so long as the pitch is nice.

We've got five mids max amongst that lot who are good enough.

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    yes id like to see a big striker, midfielder and defender.

cause we really havn't had any departures yet of first team material. with the rumours (a wee while ago mind) of deek, stokes, nish, bamba & zouma all potential movers. IF they left we would be short.

so an Ivan, Murphy and O'connor would finnish of the summer signings for me

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar

I'd like to see a BIG experienced centre-back, another striker, and yes, a left-back to allow Ian M into midfield when circumstances demand. I won't be at all surprised if big Davey S doesn't figure in the first team sooner rather than later, mind. He seems to be a very mature and collected young man.

I do expect at least one, possibly two additional arrivals later into the window, but I suspect we won't hear too much until the deal's done.

That seems to be the way Rod and Yogi do business, and a very good way it is, too.
    Or just a good one would do!

@hibs.net private member
    We need to re-sign the Hibee majorettes - or whatever they were called.

Half times haven't been the same since they faded into obscurity.

Other signings dependant on who else goes.

If we keep Stokes and Riordan... Then I'd just be happy with a Strong Midfielder/Defensive Midfielder..just for the physical presence...cos De Graaf plays RM so we are still prone in the middle.. I'm happy with the defence now, and if we keep Bamba, and don't sell anyone but Nish and Rankin I'm happy!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    But Doddie, two of those don't count and one's only good for half a season so long as the pitch is nice.

We've got five mids max amongst that lot who are good enough.

We also have Deek playing on the left and scoring a lot of goals from midfield.

I know we differ on this, but I don't discount John Rankin as others do. I concede that Lewis has work to do, and that if he doesn't do it he could well be gone by next season. Galbraith is good, but has had injury problems. He does make a good impact sub on occasion, however.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sol B and Zouma are gone by the start of the season - hopefully for fees that will allow straight replacements to be signed quickly. I'd guess that Yogi already has thoughts about who those would be if the situation arose.

I think it depends how Yogi wants us to play next season to how many more players are likley to arrive and the positions they play.

I personally think he'll play a 4-3-3 next season, the signings he has made so far are quick and athletic so he clearly wants to inject some much needed pace into the side. I would not be surprised to see the line up below start the game on Saturday or at very least in this shape.

Brown

Hart----Hogg----Stephens----Murray

McBride
    De Graaf-----------Miller

Spoony-----------------------Riordan
    Stokes

It means over the course of the season, Stokes, Nish & Byrne will challenge for the central striker position, Riordan & Galbraith for wide left of the front three and Spoony & Zemmama for the right side. Don't know why but I still see Alan Gow at Hibs next season which would also add to the forward line and provide even more competition for places.

Our back up for the midfield is weaker though, Stevenson and Rankin are decent players but for me not first choice, thought Welsh was excellent for the under 19's but has suffered from injuries and no reserve league last season to push into the first team reckoning but from what I have seen of him does have a chance to make it at a decent level. I know Boozy has been offered training facilities at Hibs and I hope that being back at ER even if its only temporary will give him the spark that he clearly needed last summer after leaving Coventry, he is the ideal sitting player for this formation.

In defence we now have Hart & fully fit Kevin McCann for right back. Hoggy, Thicot, Bamba, Hanlon & Stephens competing to play at centre half and Murray, Booth and if neede Stevenson to play at left back.

Even if no more signings arrive this squad should be more than capable of challenging for 3rd in the SPL and make an impression in both cups. Then again a lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season.....

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by weeonly162 View Post
    Or just a good one would do!

Is there an echo in here?

Surely it goes without saying we don't want a Murdock. On the other hand, we now have Hart, Hogg, Bamba and Murray as the first-choice back four - plenty of experience there. I assume Bamba will leave - and I assume Yogi already knows a couple of guys he'd like to sign to replace. So I would assume that these guys will be players of a decent quality, and at least in their mid-20's, rather than younger players like DS and Paul Hanlon.

Though it's worth remembering Paul now has a season's experience behind him.

And we still have Steve Thicot on the books - handy player to have, IMO.
    Last edited by --------; 08-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.

I think we need more.

I'd be surprised if the 14 (?) who had a year left on their contract are all here come the end of the transfer window.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Is there an echo in here?

Surely it goes without saying we don't want a Murdock. On the other hand, we now have Hart, Hogg, Bamba and Murray as the first-choice back four - plenty of experience there. I assume Bamba will leave - and I assume Yogi already knows a couple of guys he'd like to sign to replace. So I would assume that these guys will be players of a decent quality, and at least in their mid-20's, rather than younger players like DS and Paul Hanlon.

Though it's worth remembering Paul now has a season's experience behind him.

It's YOU that keeps mentioning him - a freudian slip perhaps?

I hope we keep Bamba TBH - otherwise i agree, a good, experienced CH is required IMO!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post
    I think it depends how Yogi wants us to play next season to how many more players are likley to arrive and the positions they play.

I personally think he'll play a 4-3-3 next season, the signings he has made so far are quick and athletic so he clearly wants to inject some much needed pace into the side. I would not be surprised to see the line up below start the game on Saturday or at very least in this shape.

Brown

Hart----Hogg----Stephens----Murray

McBride
    De Graaf-----------Miller

Spoony-----------------------Riordan
    Stokes

It means over the course of the season, Stokes, Nish & Byrne will challenge for the central striker position, Riordan & Galbraith for wide left of the front three and Spoony & Zemmama for the right side. Don't know why but I still see Alan Gow at Hibs next season which would also add to the forward line and provide even more competition for places.

Our back up for the midfield is weaker though, Stevenson and Rankin are decent players but for me not first choice, thought Welsh was excellent for the under 19's but has suffered from injuries and no reserve league last season to push into the first team reckoning but from what I have seen of him does have a chance to make it at a decent level. I know Boozy has been offered training facilities at Hibs and I hope that being back at ER even if its only temporary will give him the spark that he clearly needed last summer after leaving Coventry, he is the ideal sitting player for this formation.

In defence we now have Hart & fully fit Kevin McCann for right back. Hoggy, Thicot, Bamba, Hanlon & Stephens competing to play at centre half and Murray, Booth and if neede Stevenson to play at left back.

Even if no more signings arrive this squad should be more than capable of challenging for 3rd in the SPL and make an impression in both cups. Then again a lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season.....
    Are you sure about this I spoke with his brothers girlfriend last week and Boozy is currently training with Mixu at Killie.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    im quite happy with the squad.... only thing i think we are missing is a midfield hardman who can play the matty jack role.

Promising Youngster Biffa Bacon's Avatar
    How long does Thicot have left on his contract? I was always under the impression he signed a 2-year deal in 2008, so thought he would have been out of contract this summer?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew70 View Post
    Are you sure about this I spoke with his brothers girlfriend last week and Boozy is currently training with Mixu at Killie.
    your correct... he's on trial at killie.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Joppa Hibs View Post
    How long does Thicot have left on his contract? I was always under the impression he signed a 2-year deal in 2008, so thought he would have been out of contract this summer?

He's still listed in the squad on the official site.

Has he not another year to go?

I think we still need a solid centre back, and a player who can play in the, well, Matty Jack role so we have a bit of depth. Also a left back if we can get one because Murray unfortunately did get ripped apart a number of times last season I felt.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppa Hibs View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...an/7525682.stm

Three year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Nicky Butt.

Left back, big nasty git in central mid and another striker should do it for now.

Theres me thinking he was going to sign for Blackpool????

Anything you would like to share with us all Speedway???