hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: to busy for that stuff Wii Code: still to busy

talk of ex players coming back !

there is lots of chat on here ex players coming back ! Ivan sproule , gary o conner david Murphy.
    but over the years we have brought players back but how many have done well again and who .
    deak has done well , ???
    but of the others !!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Mickey Weir
    Pat McGinlay

Ian Murray, Pat Mcginley, Caldwell, Brebner - all done relatively well in recent years.

Joe Baker did ok! Peter Cormack didn't.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ian Murray has done well.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Mixu wasn't bad in his second spell as a player either.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good shout.

John Blackley had a short revival of a player when he was assistant manager. He was pretty good for about four matches.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhall69 View Post
    there is lots of chat on here ex players coming back ! Ivan sproule , gary o conner david murphy.
    But over the years we have brought players back but how many have done well again and who .
    Deak has done well , ???
    But of the others !!
    joe baker

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bobby Smith, Darlin Willie Groves
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

First Team Regular
    Murray and Riordan are the two that spring to mind from recent times. Brebner and Caldwell were originally brought on loan so I don't really see that as the same thing. Mickey Weir I would agree with and although I was a big fan of Pat McGinlay I don't think he was quite so good in his second spell.

Bottom line is that, although it can work, I don't understand this obsession with bringing back former players. It's very rose-tinted specs and some people seem to forget that these players had plenty of bad days in Hibs shirts just like those in the current squad. O'Connor for instance I can remember being a sub at a game up in Inverness and he was very disappointing in the 2004 League Cup Final (not the only one of course). Sproule used to take as much stick as praise on the message boards.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    [QUOTE=GalH;2507810]although I was a big fan of Pat McGinlay I don't think he was quite so good in his second spell.[QUOTE]

I remember Pat as being quality in his second spell too, the stats also back this up: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McGinlay

We made a profit of around £100K on him and he was just as productive on the goals trail - a successful return I would say.

Possibly stood out less when he returned because our first XI/squad had improved since his departure. The only time I remember being really disappointed with Pat was the first quarter of our season in the First.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Joe Baker did ok! Peter Cormack didn't.
    Yes, but that was because he was too old and past his best.

It certainly wasn't for a lack of effort.

[QUOTE=Stevie Reid;2507837][QUOTE=GalH;2507810]although I was a big fan of Pat McGinlay I don't think he was quite so good in his second spell.

I remember Pat as being quality in his second spell too, the stats also back this up: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McGinlay

We made a profit of around £100K on him and he was just as productive on the goals trail - a successful return I would say.

Possibly stood out less when he returned because our first XI/squad had improved since his departure. The only time I remember being really disappointed with Pat was the first quarter of our season in the First.
    Great player for us.

Bit of a joke he never won a full cap for scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by GalH View Post
    Murray and Riordan are the two that spring to mind from recent times. Brebner and Caldwell were originally brought on loan so I don't really see that as the same thing. Mickey Weir I would agree with and although I was a big fan of Pat McGinlay I don't think he was quite so good in his second spell.

Bottom line is that, although it can work, I don't understand this obsession with bringing back former players. It's very rose-tinted specs and some people seem to forget that these players had plenty of bad days in Hibs shirts just like those in the current squad. O'Connor for instance I can remember being a sub at a game up in Inverness and he was very disappointing in the 2004 League Cup Final (not the only one of course). Sproule used to take as much stick as praise on the message boards.
    Its a bit like fantacising about an ex girlfriend. You forget about all the screaming and shouting and concentrate on her assets.

[QUOTE=Hibee_Craig7062;2507875][QUOTE=Stevie Reid;2507837]
    although I was a big fan of Pat McGinlay I don't think he was quite so good in his second spell.

Great player for us.

Bit of a joke he never won a full cap for scotland.
    I am sure that Celtic sold him back for less than they bought him for and he had been one of their top scorers in that season. Muppets.

I'm too young to remember Pat's early years at the club, but I understand that he was Celtic's top sorer in the season(?) he was with them? If so why were Celtic so keen to sell him back? No often we sign their top scorer!!

I'm too young to remember Pat's early years at the club, but I understand that he was Celtic's top sorer in the season(?) he was with them? If so why were Celtic so keen to sell him back? No often we sign their top scorer!!
    I refer the right honourable gentlman to the answer I gave earlier. They are muppets!

They always thought that he was not Celtic Class. Should have stuck with Martin Hayes and Stuart slater.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X

To be fair, he was only 20 at the time.

6 min 10 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt52T-fTbL8

In 1993 he was signed by Celtic for a fee of £525,000 after he impressed then boss Liam Brady. He made his debut on 7 August 1993 as a substitute in a 2–2 draw away to Motherwell. However, after just over fifteen months at Celtic Park he was on the move again as he was not part of then new manager Tommy Burns' plans. It was strange move as McGinlay had been Celtic's top goalscorer the previous season. At the time, Celtic were in the rebuilding process under Fergus McCann and Pat played a full season at Hampden Park whilst Celtic Park was being re-built. With the cash raised from selling McGinlay to Hibs, Tommy Burns bought Tosh McKinlay from Hearts. Ironically, Tosh was one of Pat's old St Peters Boys School teammates.

On 1 November 1994 he re-joined Hibs for £420,000. He remained at Easter Road for six seasons before moving to Ayr United. In terms of all-time appearances for Hibernian, he is currently fourth with 321 appearances. His tally of 62 league goals makes him third in the list of all-time goal scorers for the club.
    Muppets I am finished now.

First Team Regular

He was ****in murder

Quote Originally Posted by Love the Green View Post
    He was ****in murder
    Agree - scored when the ball bounced of his knee against hearts only for Fat Phil stamp to score an injury time winner - cant remember him doing anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Borders Hibby View Post
    Note TGFITW are out in force

The entire 1902 team

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Before my time but I dare say those with the benefit of witnessing Bobby Johnstone in his second spell would claim him a success. A little heavier and slower perhaps from his imperious time with the 'five' but apparently still a fantastic link-man and prompter for the likes of a dynamic young Joe Baker.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

First Team Breakthrough SmokieJoe's Avatar
    Aye Pat Mcginly, i was in the east stand, getting beat 4 - 1 from them ( we did so often in those days) Mcginly made a sduds-showing-2-footed horizontal-2-foot in-the-air tackle, straight red for it, but it sticks in my head like the uppercut on Brad Pit in Snatch, the tackle seemed to last for about 15 seconds.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    To be fair, he was only 20 at the time.
    Don't mean to knock GOC. He scored a lot of goals for Hibs but it's also a fact that he had his off days and wasn't always an automatic pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Borders Hibby View Post
    In terms of all-time appearances for Hibernian, he is currently fourth with 321 appearances. His tally of 62 league goals makes him third in the list of all-time goal scorers for the club.
    Muppets I am finished now.
    Really? Can't believe those stats. No way can he be third top scorer of all time with that number of goals.

They were pretty poor at that time of course. No decent striker to speak of. I'm assuming Van Hugedonk arrived the following season. Maybe they used some of the Pat cash to buy him.
    Last edited by Musselbound; 06-07-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Don't mean to knock GOC. He scored a lot of goals for Hibs but it's also a fact that he had his off days and wasn't always an automatic pick.

Really? Can't believe those stats. No way can he be third top scorer of all time with that number of goals.

They were pretty poor at that time of course. No decent striker to speak of. I'm assuming Van Hugedonk arrived the following season. Maybe they used some of the Pat cash to buy him.
    Top League Goalscorers

1. Lawrie Reilly 187 Goals (1945-1958)
    2. Eddie Turnbull 149 Goals (1946-1959)
    3. Willie Ormond 132 Goals (1946-1961)
    4. Jimmy McColl 130 Goals (1922-1931)
    5. Gordon Smith 126 Goals (1941-1959)
    6. Joe Baker 114 Goals (1957-1972)
    7. Bobby Johnstone 100 Goals (1949-1960)
    8. Jimmy Dunn 91 Goals (1920-1928)
    9. Jimmy O' Rourke 81 Goals (1962-1974)
    10. Derek Riordan 78 Goals (2002-2010)
    =11. Harry Ritchie 77 Goals (1919-1928)
    =11. Peter Cormack 77 Goals (1962-1980)
    13. Arthur Duncan 73 Goals (1970-1984)
    14. Ally MacLeod 71 Goals (1974-1982)
    15. Paddy Callaghan 68 Goals (1899-1914)
    16. Johnny Halligan 67 Goals (1920-1933)
    17. Paddy McGinlay 60 Goals (1988-2000)
    18. Keith Wright 59 Goals (1991-1997)
    19. Bobby Combe 54 Goals (1941-1957)
    Not that high then