hibs.net Messageboard

C.V Creator wanted

Im looking for a killer C.V and somebody to help me create it

Anybody used anybody or reccomend anybody?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    When I was looking for a job, I was told that you couldn't use the same CV for every job you applied for, you have to adapt it.

Covering letters should always be adapted, but I fired off roughly the same CV umpteen times on my job search, and got a good few positive responses.

Interestingly, the Job Centre didn't think I matched their requirements for the role of Employment advisor, yet one of the world's biggest Market Research companies took me on as a project developer, so it really is a bit hit and miss out there

Use the same CV but change the covering letter.

Golden rule with CVs - put your best stuff at the start and end of it - with the less interesting blurb in the middle [where it is most easily forgotten about]. That way anyone reading it will start and end with the best impression of you [wee bit psychology there naw...]

At interviews, never say 'if' 'would' etc - always speak as if you had the job - eg what will be my pay grade rather than what would my pay grade be... you don't have to say that you're positive to come across as positive. In general, try not to use negatives such as No - try to find an alternative positive way of responding instead.

Best of British!

Career Scotland can be quite helpful........... at times

My rule is, change the letter supporting application for each job to something relevant to the post your applying for. Always come across as keen and ready to learn at interview - that way, any skills you don't currently have that are required to do the job probably won't play as big a part in you not being successful.

Good luck.

It is really great that you passed the entry level English teacher position at a language institute and that you secured an interview. Congratulations. Don’t worry, have a look at the following link as it has different resume layouts for different sector jobs https://www.mintresume.com/resume-examples. This will give you a better idea on how to build your resume. Also hopefully this link will help you https://www.cv-library.co.uk/career-...job-interview/ get some advice and guidance on the interview.
    Last edited by Jeannas; 10-08-2020 at 01:36 PM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Keep CVs short, snappy and to the point. Recruiters will be receiving hundreds of them just now and you need to make your point quickly, concisely and in an easy to read format.

In interviews, be brutally honest with yourself and prepare yourself for the usual questions and rehearse them over and over in the mirror. When it comes to questions like "What is your biggest weakness" or "how would your friends/colleagues describe you", the majority of people will say something along the sides of "I'm a perfectionist" or "I get too invested in work and find myself too happy to work overtime" and things like that that they think make them sound invincible.

My response to that question is "In the past I've perhaps been easily accused of having a poor memory and forgetting some details of a task when under pressure. What I've done to resolve that since is I write everything down for a task - I take a minute to plan the task ahead out so even if I'm interrupted I have a written down plan that I can return to and complete it. It's takes the pressure off my shoulders during busier or more challenging days and my line manager has commented recently how much I have improved in this area and how much more work I've been getting through".

These questions sometimes even pop up in application forms for bigger companies and by openly admitting a weakness that you have but also showing what you're doing to improve it and the improvements you've made already shows a human side, a willingness to reflect on your skills and a willingness to improve them and an honest answer like that will always, always stand out from the crowd.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    That must be the longest time between a question and an answer on here - just over 10 years!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That must be the longest time between a question and an answer on here - just over 10 years!!

The thread about signing in to watch the matches will probably last twice as long.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    And the reply from someone making their first post...how did they come across the thread!

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    And the reply from someone making their first post...how did they come across the thread!
    Hope Magnifique got the job!