hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tennis/football

tennis/football

I'm no great fan of tennis, but the game on BBC2 has just stopped for bad light. The score, in the fifth set, is 59 all. I switched over from time to time to watch the Ghana v Germany game, which was a good game, but this tennis match has been going on for 10 HOURS!! The fitness levels of these 2 guys must be really awesome.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Leicester Fan's Avatar
    Tennis is a puffs game. Thank god for the football or Wimbledon would be on the BBC for 24 hours a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicester Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tennis is a puffs game. Thank god for the football or Wimbledon would be on the BBC for 24 hours a day.
    Puffs game or not, it takes one hell of a fitness level to keep going for 10 hours - it's a lot tougher sport than people give credit for.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Really?

Jenna where are you

Watched more of the tennis than football, Usually only watch murray but i got into this game and was pretty glued just wanting someone to win. Fitness levels where exeptional.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomson1875 View Post
    Watched more of the tennis than football, Usually only watch murray but i got into this game and was pretty glued just wanting someone to win. Fitness levels where exeptional.
    The American guy looked cream-crackered but the French guy looked as if it was only the 3rd set...

Brilliant effort from both players...

Didn't The American bloke hit over 100 Aces ??

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Tennis is a puffs game.
    Strange then that the players hardly ever seem to fall down and roll around the pitch for no reason in the way that manly fitballers like your Mr Gerrard does.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    How'd you figure that?
    Nobodys forcing you to watch it on the BBC

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I never watched the Germany game, Was glued to the tennis 59 all in the 5th set WTF!!!...Over 10 hours play? WOW..That Mahut looked like he was fresh as a daisy.

Superb entertainment, And the guy that called it a puffs game, Id like to see you tell both players that.

First Team Regular southfieldshibby's Avatar
    AWSOME!

One of the great sporting matches IMHO.

Never mind physical. To keep that sort of mental strength going through that match is imense.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I never watched the Germany game, Was glued to the tennis 59 all in the 5th set WTF!!!...Over 10 hours play? WOW..That Mahut looked like he was fresh as a daisy.

Superb entertainment, And the guy that called it a puffs game, Id like to see you tell both players that.
    Me anaw. Jonnyboy's fault

First Team Regular Leicester Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Strange then that the players hardly ever seem to fall down and roll around the pitch for no reason in the way that manly fitballers like your Mr Gerrard does.
    When Rafa Nadal gives Andy Murray a 2 footed challenge you may have a point.

Didn't see any of the football.

That was sporting history, will never see anything like that again.

Probably equivalent of a pen shootout going to about 100 all.
    The final set alone outlasted the longest tennis match in history.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

Or an SPL game finishing 6-6. Bet we'll never see anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post

Records are there to be broken but IMO this record will never be broken!

Mahut had to serve FIFTY NINE TIMES!!! just to stay in the match.Stunning,

Was flicking back and forward between the tennis and the football. The game at Wimbers was incredible. Cannot believe that those guys are still standing. Isner looked down and out several times but just kept slugging away.

My money would be on Mahut tomorrow but you just don't know. Those guys will sleep well tonight! Well done to both of them!

I think that whoever wins has to then play their 2nd round game tomorrow which seems a little harsh!

"Tennis is a puffs game"

I think not - that was incredible. The stats that will come out of this game will be incredible and never surpassed.

I know who I'd back in a scrap to go the distance, Isner vs Gerrard, and wouldn't be that DJ battering, 16 year-old impregnating barsteward.

Footy wins over every other sport 99.9% of the time, sometimes you need to watch history in the making tho. Cannae wait to see the ovation they get whoever wins. Epitomises what sport is all about IMHO. Its the equivalent of an extra 9 sets going to 7-6 without a winner in sight.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 23-06-2010 at 08:59 PM.

hardly lol

that,s 6 football matches back to back + extra time and penalties

..........oh and they are back to do it again tomorrow, no days off and no rolling about the grass with a grazed knee.

First Team Breakthrough Mon_the_cabbage's Avatar

Records are there to be broken but IMO this record will never be broken!

Mahut had to serve FIFTY NINE TIMES!!! just to stay in the match.Stunning,
    I have to disagree.

I must be honest and state first of all, that I watched only snippets of this match but remember the American guy from his match against Andy Murray last year.

He is never a "tennis" player in a million years. He uses his extremely tall physique to full effect (which is fair enough) and wins almost 100% of points on his service games but as soon as someone can return his serves and set up a rally, he's like a fish out of water. (Andy Murray displayed this excellently last year). He is also fairly average when receiving service, which means he doesn't break service under his own skill but relies on errors.

Every time this Yank will come up against anyone who can serve well with minimum errors but cannot return his serves, the result will be marathon matches. As he now has.

Get ready for a 200 all set!

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon_the_cabbage View Post
    I have to disagree.

I must be honest and state first of all, that I watched only snippets of this match but remember the American guy from his match against Andy Murray last year.

He is never a "tennis" player in a million years. He uses his extremely tall physique to full effect (which is fair enough) and wins almost 100% of points on his service games but as soon as someone can return his serves and set up a rally, he's like a fish out of water. (Andy Murray displayed this excellently last year). He is also fairly average when receiving service, which means he doesn't break service under his own skill but relies on errors.

Every time this Yank will come up against anyone who can serve well with minimum errors but cannot return his serves, the result will be marathon matches. As he now has.

Why the fifth though and not the first

Quote Originally Posted by Mon_the_cabbage

I have to disagree.

Yup, styles make matches...

But, the fact that these guys have played for so long without a mental or physical error is unbelievable.

Nobody is saying they're brilliant players but let's salute their stamina at the very least.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    As others have said - watching history in the making made it compulsive viewing.

Think the American will be having a pretty tough night.

He could hardly walk.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMG View Post
    Yup, styles make matches...

But, the fact that these guys have played for so long without a mental or physical error is unbelievable.

Nobody is saying they're brilliant players but let's salute their stamina at the very least.
    Yeah but my point was to argue that this would never be matched.

with this guy, it's entirely possible.

I've no question against their fitness/dedication etc.

I have to disagree.

He is number 23 in the world which would suggest he IS a tennis player.

I beg to differ about him being a fish out of water, I like my Tennis.. and watch every single tournament there is, For a tall guy he has a wicked forehand and a mean drop shot, Can play the odd backhand too and is generally a very good player as his ranking suggests.

Your not 23 in the world if your crap lets be honest, If you watched that game tonight you would see he has a variety of shot options, After 10 hours off the final set it was obvious bad shots would creep in..Youve picked on the wrong guy if you want a debate, As i follow Tennis Massively .

He is number 23 in the world which would suggest he IS a tennis player.

I beg to differ about him being a fish out of water, I like my Tennis.. and watch every single tournament there is, For a tall guy he has a wicked forehand and a mean drop shot, Can play the odd backhand too and is generally a very good player as his ranking suggests.

Your not 23 in the world if your crap lets be honest, If you watched that game tonight you would see he has a variety of shot options, After 10 hours off the final set it was obvious bad shots would creep in..Youve picked on the wrong guy if you want a debate, As i follow Tennis Massively .
    Ooh get you, I don't follow tennis so sorry for wanting a debate.

I would just end then, as I'm not worthy of debate, by asking how many breaks of serve did this very good player actually get?

Ooh get you, I don't follow tennis so sorry for wanting a debate.

I would just end then, as I'm not worthy of debate, by asking how many breaks of serve did this very good player actually get?
    If you dont follow Tennis, Without sounding rude mate, How can you question the guys abilitiy if you know nothing about him?.

Tonight was unique, A one off, You will never ever see 59- 59 again going into the final set IMO..Top class show from both guys.

Isner was blowing out his erse at the end, But neither player really had a break point in over ONE HUNDRED GAMES OF TENNIS, Hats off

Mahut did have 2 break points actually But never took them.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ????? PSN ID: Nae ID. Wii Code: 69
    I flicked but watched more of the tennis that the footie. And I thought the footie was good.

These guys were hitting the lines and mixing their style all the way to 59 all.

They were tired and are not the top players in the world but how often do 'lower' teams put on a far better game than 'top' teams in footie. That was superb sport tonight on many levels. Skill, ability, stamina, just going for it; superb stuff. At one point, after running all the way across the court to a ball he had little chance of getting, Mahut threw his racket at the ball in a last ditch attempt to return. Even Isler applauded him for that. If a few of Hibs team had that level of commitment we would win the league next season.

I watched this match and its a classic. Court 18 should be named the Isner-Mahut court after this.

To the guy posting about Isner being not very good? Sorry mate but I can't agree with that. He is what he is but I agree that his ranking does not lie and this guy will be a rich man once the dust has settled on his career.

If you compare him to Federer, Murray, Nadal?...not as good no. But against no.342 in the world who would eat you, me and every other amateur sports player for breakfast on a tennis court then he is frickin awesome. Takes years of practice to learn how to repeatedly drop your shots just inside the baseline at 100kmph.

Isner and Mahut, I applaud you for your demonstration of sport, endurance, skill, technique and mentality at the highest level. I am sure these guys will get all the plaudits they deserve. For us all to even be debating this on a football forum shows what a truly unique match this has been.

If you dont follow Tennis, Without sounding rude mate, How can you question the guys abilitiy if you know nothing about him?.

Tonight was unique, A one off, You will never ever see 59- 59 again going into the final set IMO..Top class show from both guys.

Isner was blowing out his erse at the end, But neither player really had a break point in over ONE HUNDRED GAMES OF TENNIS, Hats off

Mahut did have 2 break points actually But never took them.

Isner had 2 break points at game 65 I think?

Or was it game 465?...cant remember