hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coaching Staff

Commentators... [good ones]

Alright, Alan Green is a fud. Mick McCarthy is a waste of air time and Adrian Chiles makes Alan Partridge look serious.

But good ones - Roy Hodgson. How much does he know about football? What does this man not know about football? Truly a diamond in amongst the sh**.

Last night he was on about Chapter 4 in a book about Defending - leaving the rest of the panellists looking stupid. I think he's tremendous.

Views?

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Dunkin' Donut's Avatar
    roy hodgson is a genius, wish there was more people like him in the game of football. in terms commentators jonathan pearce is good and so is clive tyldsley.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin' Donut View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    roy hodgson is a genius, wish there was more people like him in the game of football. in terms commentators jonathan pearce is good and so is clive tyldsley.
    He is awful! He's one of the main reasons I'd never support England as he is such an arrogant tosser.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Alright, Alan Green is a fud. Mick McCarthy is a waste of air time and Adrian Chiles makes Alan Partridge look serious.

But good ones - Roy Hodgson. How much does he know about football? What does this man not know about football? Truly a diamond in amongst the sh**.

Last night he was on about Chapter 4 in a book about Defending - leaving the rest of the panellists looking stupid. I think he's tremendous.

Views?
    I've not heard Hodgson but I agree, the lack of informed commentary is a disgrace.

I think part of the problem is that the likes of Green are probably very good commentators but shouldn't be fulfilling the role of analysts. That's what the co-commentator should be doing - giving an incisive breakdown of what's actually going on tactically, or from the perspective of the opposing team managers.

We get the latter to a certain extent but never in anything approaching an articulate manner. Football fans are voracious in their desire to talk about the game, to learn about the game and we all have a huge range of opinions on every aspect of the game.

We deserve far, far better in the standard of co-commentary and punditry than we get just now and that's true for practically every TV and radio outlet we have access to.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Lmc2105's Avatar
    Paul Mitchell BBC

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Hodgson's knowlegde on the game seems far more advanced than the rest of them. Should rush to the MOTD studio after match days so we don't have to listen to the tosspot that is Mark Lawrenson.

Of the ones in the studio, on BBC anyway, I'd probably say Lee Dixon is the one who speaks most sense IMO. Roy Hodgson on ITV is also worth listening to as well. Showing my ignorance here, but I can't really understand what Adebayor is saying most of the time, and Hanson is just a pain in the arse. All the time. Lawrenson is just a boring old fanny.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Of the ones in the studio, on BBC anyway, I'd probably say Lee Dixon is the one who speaks most sense IMO. Roy Hodgson on ITV is also worth listening to as well. Showing my ignorance here, but I can't really understand what Adebayor is saying most of the time, and Hanson is just a pain in the arse. All the time. Lawrenson is just a boring old fanny.
    Hodgson and Lee Dixon were diiscussing the Swiss defending / offside today and Hodgson advised the panel that although he was a defender himself, he was nowhere as good as as Lee Dixon. And he didn't say it with humour he said it with humility.
    Mark of the man I think and I cannot imagine anything like that coming from Lawrenson, Hansen or McCarthy.
    Mind you if it had been McCarthy sitting alongside him he might not have been so gracious.....

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    The best analyst by far this year is Clarence Seedorf. Informed, bright, articulate, humerous and knowledgable, the guy is a pleasure to listen to and has a far better grasp of English than Hansen.

And before Clarence, Leonardo was also the most watchable guy on the BBC.

Pretty poor considering a British channel needs foreign personalities to give its football analysis credibility.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Hodgson and Lee Dixon were diiscussing the Swiss defending / offside today and Hodgson advised the panel that although he was a defender himself, he was nowhere as good as as Lee Dixon. And he didn't say it with humour he said it with humility.
    Mark of the man I think and I cannot imagine anything like that coming from Lawrenson, Hansen or McCarthy.
    Mind you if it had been McCarthy sitting alongside him he might not have been so gracious.....

Hodgson always seems to come across very well in interviews as a manager.

Dixon and Winterburn have also always seemed to be decent enough for co-commentary etc and Martin Keown in particular has been very good when I've heard him. Makes you wonder whether it's a Wenger influence.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 21-06-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Theres no actual commentators I like. In terms of armchair pundits, Lee Dixon is the best.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Bring back Barry Davies he was the best commentator IMO. Whatever happened to him anyway? Is he retired now?

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Handling View Post
    Loved the bit also where he said that he "must be old-fashioned" because he doesn't like it "when a player gets hit in the chest then goes down holding their face". That was in response to a glib remark made about it being understandable for a player to make the most of a challenge...

Left by mutual consent!
    Jim Beglin is the business...

Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post

Views?
    Well you have totally confused commentators (the ones at the match with microphones) with analysts (the ones in the studio with play back facilities) and anchors (the one who cracks the jokes).

Roy Hodgson is acting as an analyst. Adrian Chiles is the anchor.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Bring back Barry Davies he was the best commentator IMO. Whatever happened to him anyway? Is he retired now?
    I'm sure that's him commentating on Wimbledon as we speak...BBC 1 red button.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Stan the man

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Ian Crocker

Ian Crokers decent

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Ian Crocker
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Ian Crokers decent
    agreed!

its a pity he's usually paired with a total plank though

I know it's wrong but I enjoyed listening to Robbie Savage co-commentating on NZ v Italy (5 Live). His excitement was genuine rather than trained for radio and I found myself getting drawn into a game in a way that I've never really experienced before on radio or TV.

In a similarly childlike vein, Chris Moyles and his friend (neither of whom I listen to otherwise) made the Germany v Serbia game a lot more entertaining than it would have been with say the routine 'passion' of Jonathan Pearce (bring back Robot Wars) or the unenlightening disdain of Mick McCarthy.

First Team Breakthrough

Pat Nevin

Worked with him a few years ago in Newcastle United's foray into Europe for Channel 5, Could do with him in South Africa, a very balanced individual who is very fair when it comes to summarising games, and to top it all a bloody nice guy who has managed never to get his head stuck up his own arse.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I know it's wrong but I enjoyed listening to Robbie Savage co-commentating on NZ v Italy (5 Live). His excitement was genuine rather than trained for radio and I found myself getting drawn into a game in a way that I've never really experienced before on radio or TV.

In a similarly childlike vein, Chris Moyles and his friend (neither of whom I listen to otherwise) made the Germany v Serbia game a lot more entertaining than it would have been with say the routine 'passion' of Jonathan Pearce (bring back Robot Wars) or the unenlightening disdain of Mick McCarthy.
    Your right about Savage, I listened to his commentary and his post match interview with the Kiwi's he was well chuffed for them genuinely, you could hear his smile coming through the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    Worked with him a few years ago in Newcastle United's foray into Europe for Channel 5, Could do with him in South Africa, a very balanced individual who is very fair when it comes to summarising games, and to top it all a bloody nice guy who has managed never to get his head stuck up his own arse.
    Pat Nevin is in South Africa, as a pundit for Five Live. He has mentioned Hibs a few times, when New Zealand were playing.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Well you have totally confused commentators (the ones at the match with microphones) with analysts (the ones in the studio with play back facilities) and anchors (the one who cracks the jokes).

Roy Hodgson is acting as an analyst. Adrian Chiles is the anchor.
    Yeah, sorry about that

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    What about Mick McCarthy last night with another sprinkling of comedy gold when Portugal started the second half one up......." Do Portugal open up and go for it?.....I don't think so". Just superb.

As for that Clive Tyldsley sort, did you hear him saying that nobody should get carried away about Spain's chances after that performance last night. Same boy that was almost predicting that the trophy was in the bag for Engerlund after they went one up against the septic tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    I dont get the Nevin love-in at all I know he's a Hibby and whatever but I find him very irritating, using the fact that he can actually string a sentence together to hide his lack of an interesting point of view.

He was commentating on the derby on 5Live when Deeks scored his penalty at Tynecastle, and he was furious when Riordan celebrated, Nevin was basically blaming Riordan for the whole 'Casper' incident. Maybe this was him trying to hard to appear 'balanced and fair' as the 12th Man says....but it made him sound detached from reality.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    murdo macleod

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Reduced to commentating on "Dancing on Ice"

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Pat Nevin is in South Africa, as a pundit for Five Live. He has mentioned Hibs a few times, when New Zealand were playing.
    Need him on every game though, I just like the guy as an independant commentator and summariser