hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Why Don't We Cheer On Our Own Constitiuent Country?

Why Don't We Cheer On Our Own Constituent Country?

Being British, I support England, NI, Wales and Scotland in whatever events they may be participating..

What I can't get my head around is why we still have to continue with bigoted opinions towards our own nations in general.

This isn't just directed at Scottish folk but at the English as well, but moreso Scotland because of the current situation with one being in the World Cup.

So, discuss, why do you personally have something against the English?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dutton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Being British, I support England, NI, Wales and Scotland in whatever events they may be participating..

What I can't get my head around is why we still have to continue with bigoted opinions towards our own nations in general.

This isn't just directed at Scottish folk but at the English as well, but moreso Scotland because of the current situation with one being in the World Cup.

In a word yes i do dislike the English, and if that makes me a bigot to people like you then so be it. There is no end to their arrogance and talk of being better than everyone else (even though they have done bugger all to prove that point). I for one will be delighted when they are knocked out, unfortunately though the English media will still talk non-stop about England with hardly a mention of the countries that ARE still competing in the competition.
    SCOTTISH AND PROUD OF IT.
    Last edited by steviehfc; 20-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

Because I am Scottish and our biggest rivals are England.. Also , English commentators are a pain in the backside.. No matter who is playing in the WC , we always seem to be talking about England...

Its called rivalry

Being British, I support England, NI, Wales and Scotland in whatever events they may be participating
    Being Scottish, I support Scotland

Very poor attempt at fishing methinks!

Oh, this is a new idea for a thread...

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't know if you are English or not but I am Scottish and support Scotland. As far as I know there are no pkans to have a British team.

Just curious but expanding your argument I take it if Germany play Brazil you always support germany because they are European like yourself?

How is it bigoted exactly?

I hate this recent development in English attitude, 'if you don't back us your a racist.'

Why should I back England? I'm not English, I feel no attachment to them whatsoever. Take their media out of the equation and I'd be utterly indifferent. Should we all start backing Hearts because we are both from Edinburgh then? Surely the English should back Germany as they share a common ancestory and are both European?

That's what really annoys me, we can't say word one against England, yet the TV is full of 'anybody but Germany' related chat.

I'm watching the tournament for enjoyment, keeping an eye out for the US as they have a Scot in their ranks, Spain and Argentina because I like how they play and Ivory Coast for Bamba. But of course apparently that makes me an English hating bigot doesn't it?

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very simple:

I support Scotland NOT England - couldn't care less what happens to them!!!

And in return....look at the anti-Scottish agenda shown by the English electorate and their parties...hence the BBC/SKY/STV only including the 'major parties' during the so we are lead to believe...English only general election.

If you want to talk about bigotry and racism then take a good look at yourself and the superior neighbors from dan souf!!!

Anti-English agenda?? my arse!

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    I don't support Hearts when they play so why should I support England?

'Bigoted', what the ****?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!

I wasn't born in England, neither of my parents are English so am baffled why I should support them in a sporting context just because we are part of a British Union.

Just because I'd rather see ABE win the World Cup doesn't make me bigoted.

The only time I would support England is if it helped Scotland, exactly the same way that I feel about the yams and Hibs.

I work with English folk, I am friends with English folk, I even married one (so why would I do that if I was a bigoted against them?) but to support them in a fitba match. Nae danger. I'm surprised that anyone in this day and age even has to ask why.

Testimonial Due
    Not content with slavering nonsense on the bounce at every opportunity..........

This is the guy talking about making up football strips for a tyneside hibs supporters club team.
    Anyone know a 2 a side league (assuming he got a 2nd member)
    Don't go ordering buses for next season StuPot.

@hibs.net private member

Who said i did?

Tell you what's bigoted, the assumption that every Scottish person hates the English (which by the way is very different to wanting to see the English football team horsed at every opportunity).

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Bigotted my arse. I suppose you will be supporting Sunderland in the cup when Newcastle are knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post
    Not content with slavering nonsense on the bounce at every opportunity..........

This is the guy talking about making up football strips for a tyneside hibs supporters club team.
    I dont think that is very fair mate..what he posts overby has nothing to do with hibs.net..cut him a bit of slack eh ..

Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    Who said i did?

Tell you what's bigoted, the assumption that every Scottish person hates the English (which by the way is very different to wanting to see the English football team horsed at every opportunity).
    I'm simply directing it towards people that feel that way, so if you don't then don't post.. I am Scottish for you information..

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666

I'd be too if I had been born in Engurland. I feel your pain mate, I really do.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Hibs View Post

Yes, what's wrong with that?

It would've been possible if more people were willing to commit.
    I'm trying to help the Supporters by offering a Tyneside division Supporters Club, what do you do to support the team?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I am proud to be Scottish and British much in the same way as I am proud to be a Hibs fan and from Edinburgh.

Hope they crash and burn. Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to like everything from it.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    We are all part of the European Union so why don't the English support the Germans So going by your argument the English must be racist as well.
    Last edited by Kojock; 20-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Fair enough if you look at is as rivalry, but I feel it shouldn't be as hostile a rivalry as how it appears with many supporters. I don't see how Wales and Northern Ireland don't get the same treatment?

This thread is out of interest, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were behind the common arguments/'opinions' that are posted/said wherever, be it on the internet, radio, etc.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    I'm simply directing it towards people that feel that way, so if you don't then don't post.. I am Scottish for you information..
    Were you born and brought up in Scotland or just lucky your parents were?

Fair enough if you look at is as rivalry, but I feel it shouldn't be as hostile a rivalry as how it appears with many supporters. I don't see how Wales and Northern Ireland don't get the same treatment?

This thread is out of interest, I wanted to see what people's thoughts were behind the common arguments/'opinions' that are posted/said wherever, be it on the internet, radio, etc.
    Is it because they are more likeable?

Because Wales and Ireland are celt's like us Scot's

I don't support any of them , international football doesn't interest me much .

Because they are not arrogant like the english! Anyone but england for me will never like them if that means im a racist so be it

I hate England with a passion

Because im guessing they dont show the same levels of arrogance Stuart, from the circus that follow England, the press headline in the Sun - E A S Y - ..the rest appear to know their level however the English dont ..they think they have a god given right to steamroller whoever is in front of them ..they think they are bigger & far superior to everyone else..jeez ..they are so far up their own ***** they cant see it ..the USA got no credit whatsoever & neither did Algeria..it was all about poor England..however they still, regardless of those "poor" results believe in their own hype ..they still think they are gonna win it !! ,,,should England go through i honestly hope they meet their match & are sent homewards to think again ..

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Bigotted my arse. I suppose you will be supporting Sunderland in the cup when Newcastle are knocked out.
    No I wouldn't, but supposedly we are recognised as the United Kingdom and I feel that in the future we should be furthering this into sport, as we have in the GB Athletics team. To me, personally, it's like saying that you will cheer on a Scottish sprinter in a 4x100m relay, then boo when the baton comes to the English one. To me, it's hard to understand why we have these opinions.

I don't hold any ill opinion towards Sunderland fans or Newcastle fans, just like with Hearts fans, I see it as a rivalry, but I don't post hateful or vulgar comments simply because it's what other fans say. If Hearts got into the European final, although I'd be inclined to supporting them. That's just my own views on how I like to support teams, as you all have your own views.

Like I have said I am only looking to hear out people's reasoning behind the comments/opinions and instead I get people retaliating as if I have just told them to jump off a bridge. Sad way to see a discussion descend into an argument before an opinion has been voiced.