hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar

World Cup - Day 6 - (Honduras vs Chile, Spain vs Switzerland, South Africa vs Uruguay

1-0 Chile

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good game so far,chile much better team and look like they could do something at this world cup.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Thank goodness its a decent game! Chile look excellent, the off the ball movement is fantastic and they are constantly a threat!

Chile look like a tidy wee team. Granted they're not up against much, but they definately look comfortable on the ball.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Spain's ball possession is awesome

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Switzerland are no mugs and are standing up to the Spanish admirably.

All possession, no cutting edge thus far though.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

The Spanish squad is terrifying. It tells you everything that players such as Fabergas and Torres are sitting on the bench!

That's us through the first full round of fixture and I continue to despair as to how bad the World Cup has been.

Very few goals and none (apart from Dempsey, but hardly a "wonder-strike") from outside the box (either in open play or a set piece).

Here's hoping the "cagey" first game performances are done and out the way and the proper football can start tonight!

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    Are Switzerland Rangers in disguise? ANTI FOOTBALL.....boring as!

Saying that spain passing and movement is phenomenal, i hope yogi has this on sky+ and will be showing the boys it. Switzerland are pretty much blowing out there arse with all the running about, and with ER's pitch looking great, thats how we should be playing. Liam Miller pulling the strings, galbraith to inject the pace down the flanks,

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by steviecarnie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Saying that spain passing and movement is phenomenal, i hope yogi has this on sky+ and will be showing the boys it. Switzerland are pretty much blowing out there arse with all the running about, and with ER's pitch looking great, thats how we should be playing. Liam Miller pulling the strings, galbraith to inject the pace down the flanks,
    How else do a team like Switzerland cope with Spain? I'll wager you right now that Scotland take the same approach in the forthcoming Euro qualifiers.

I agree though - it's absolutely brutal to watch.

1-0 Switzerland

Gamer IDs

Spain 0-1 Switzerland.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    Go on the Swiss. 1 nil

What the **** was Casillas doing going for the ball with his feet not once but twice? Looked like he seen a bit of physical presence and though better of getting involved.

I said it before the tournament and i'll say it gain now; Victor Valdes should have started in goals for Spain, out of the 3 keepers in the squad he has had by far and away the best season and considering he has played in 2 Champions League finals i don't think pressure would have been a problem despite his lack of international experience.

Quote Originally Posted by steviecarnie View Post

Aye but Spain are losing
    Hopefully a situation that will be sorted before the 90 mins are up.
    The so called "quality" sides are having some trouble breaking down defenses.

Gamer IDs

What a thunderbolt from Xabi Alonso!

First good strike from distance I've seen thus far!

Nearly 2-0 to the Swiss.

Game's deffo warmed up

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhibs View Post
    What the **** was Casillas doing going for the ball with his feet not once but twice? Looked like he seen a bit of physical presence and though better of getting involved.

I said it before the tournament and i'll say it gain now; Victor Valdes should have started in goals for Spain, out of the 3 keepers in the squad he has had by far and away the best season and considering he has played in 2 Champions League finals i don't think pressure would have been a problem despite his lack of international experience.
    Spain are not going to drop there captain and worlds best gk because valdes has played in more champs league finals.

Spains real problem is sergio ramos,he is a overated right back who cannot defend and costantly costs club and country silly goals.
    Also they can't break down teams who park the bus and are very organised like usa were and the swiss are right now. They dont have a plan b like a target man(like drogba or ibra) to play it long to or cross it in to when they passing isnt working.

Gamer IDs

Fernando Torres - best in the world?

His touch and shooting ability from this game makes Nade look like Pele!

For me, the Spain - Switzerkand game has been the best match so far. The Swiss have given a masterclass in defending and playing to a teams limitations. I know that in an ideal world attacking play is lauded but I've enjoyed the defensive, couter-attacking attitude and execution of this Swiss team.

One of my Mum's overused and frankly tedious cliches refers to the 'bigger they are...'
    Looks like she called it right this afternoon!
    Last edited by Greentinted; 16-06-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: confused my 'ons with my 'ofs''

Gamer IDs

Well, for all their superstars and promise, Spain lose their opening game to the mighty Switzerland.

Wow!

1-0 Switzerland

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    Every corner kick in this WC has been crap......hardly any have beaten the first man. could it be this ball?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Spain are not going to drop there captain and worlds best gk because valdes has played in more champs league finals.

Spains real problem is sergio ramos,he is a overated right back who cannot defend and costantly costs club and country silly goals.
    Also they can't break down teams who park the bus and are very organised like usa were and the swiss are right now. They dont have a plan b like a target man(like drogba or ibra) to play it long to or cross it in to when they passing isnt working.
    My point wasn't that Valdes should play because he has played in More CL finals, more that despite his lack of experience at international level he wouldn't be fazed due to his experience in other big games. Casillas is not the best GK in the world anymore and hasn't been for the last 2 years. His form has been very incosistent and he has cost Real Madrid a lot of goals. There has been a huge backlash against him in Spain(and particularly Madrid) recently with many pundits and fans calling for him to be dropped in favour of Pepe Reina.

There has been a bit of a changing of the guard recently regarding top goalkeepers; Casillas has been out of sorts, as has Cech, Buffon has been injured a lot, Kahn has retired, people finally woke up to the fact that Dida was rubbish. IMO Julio Cesar is by far and away the best goalkeeper based on current forn, he oozes confidence. The likes of Igor Akinfeev, De Gea at Atletico Madrid and Neuer at Schalke are all very talented young goalkeepers who will demand big money in the future.

For the record i agree with everything you say about Ramos.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    For me, the Spain - Switzerkand game has been the best match so far. The Swiss have given a masterclass in defending and playing to a teams limitations. I know that in an ideal world attacking play is lauded but I've enjoyed the defensive, couter-attacking attitude and execution of this Swiss team.

One of my Mum's overused and frankly tedious cliches refers to the 'bigger they are...'
    Looks like she called it right this afternoon!
    Not surprised really - Even tho they won the Euros, Spain have a long history of choking in important games. In fact, I said as much to ma laddie yesterday.

My point wasn't that Valdes should play because he has played in More CL finals, more that despite his lack of experience at international level he wouldn't be fazed due to his experience in other big games. Casillas is not the best GK in the world anymore and hasn't been for the last 2 years. His form has been very incosistent and he has cost Real Madrid a lot of goals. There has been a huge backlash against him in Spain(and particularly Madrid) recently with many pundits and fans calling for him to be dropped in favour of Pepe Reina.

There has been a bit of a changing of the guard recently regarding top goalkeepers; Casillas has been out of sorts, as has Cech, Buffon has been injured a lot, Kahn has retired, people finally woke up to the fact that Dida was rubbish. IMO Julio Cesar is by far and away the best goalkeeper based on current forn, he oozes confidence. The likes of Igor Akinfeev, De Gea at Atletico Madrid and Neuer at Schalke are all very talented young goalkeepers who will demand big money in the future.

Cesar is a great gk and is prob better than casilas but i dont think reina and vv are better than him.
    I agree he has make some errors but more than makes up for then with amazing saves and his leadership ability IMO.

Agree with you about the great young keeper's who will all be amazing goalies in the years to come,if only wenger could see it i would be happy.

First Team Regular

Casillas - not Hibs class.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

They do - Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. In restrospect he should maybe have come on instead of Torres who did not look match fit at all.

First I've heard of the backlash and I live there. I must be reading the wrong papers and watching the wrong TV channels. I do agree about Sergio Ramos being a bit of overrated and he was very poor in the second half today (not the only one mind you). Never seen Villa play so badly for Spain either. There were a few below par and that's what happens. Spain were a bit unlucky to lose this game but I think over-confidence may also be a factor because it's not only the English media who thinks their team only needs to turn up to lift the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Fernando Torres - best in the world?

His touch and shooting ability from this game makes Nade look like Pele!
    He's not fully fit.

Today was when the World Cup woke up for me. Excellent display by Chile this afternoon, by all accounts an excellent game with Switzerland shocking Spain, and now Uruguay looking like Italy with world class strikers against a decent South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by GalH View Post
    Casillas - not Hibs class.

They do - Llorente from Athletic Bilbao. In restrospect he should maybe have come on instead of Torres who did not look match fit at all.

First I've heard of the backlash and I live there. I must be reading the wrong papers and watching the wrong TV channels. I do agree about Sergio Ramos being a bit of overrated and he was very poor in the second half today (not the only one mind you). Never seen Villa play so badly for Spain either. There were a few below par and that's what happens. Spain were a bit unlucky to lose this game but I think over-confidence may also be a factor because it's not only the English media who thinks their team only needs to turn up to lift the cup.
    Yeh i know about llorente and agree should have been on today as torres is not fit and sharp.

Gamer IDs

South Africa 0-2 Uruguay

Kuhne sent off for "bringing down" Suarez as the last man. Definite penalty, as there was contact, but dear God the c*** went down like a bullet had lodged itself in his back!

Forlan with both goals.

@hibs.net private member Pheona's Avatar
    FFS!!!