hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vuvuzelas

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Vuvuzelas

I'm at my final tether with "vuvuzelas". Not the listening to them, but the plethora of people who are never done whinging about them.

I've read so many articles about "people complaining to the BBC", "they're ruining the World Cup", "they should be banned", "make sure they're banned from use in Scotland".

The World Cup is in South Africa, and that's how they watch football down there - it might be a little annoying to listen to on the TV but the fact that people are going to lengths such as writing complaints to FIFA, the BBC etc is just bloody pathetic - do people REALLY think the BBC have the power to get them stopped?

They're not ruining the World Cup - the lack of quality football is ruining the World Cup - Christ, if it weren't for the vuvuzelas, we'd have to listen to commentary duo after commentary duo prattle on about dull matches, whinging about their misfortune to be sitting in a stadium in South Africa, getting paid rediculous amounts of cash to provide coverage of a multitude of football matches, just because the action isn't raging from end to end. When they aren't moaning, we'd be hearing all about spurious connections to England, 1966, or players in the Slovenian/New Zealand/Greek national sides who used to play in the Championship once upon a time.

I also read an article by fellow Hibs fan Margo MacDonald on the BBC earlier, where she has pleaded with the Scottish Parliament to impose a blanket ban from SPL grounds, on the basis that you would be unable to hear police security messages.

Even with the vuvuzelas, announcements over the PA's in these grounds are very audible. I'm not promoting they wing their way into support-wide use in the SPL, but god-forbid someone want to employ a new method to bring some noise to the stadia in this country - God knows the "vocal support" is utterly dire as it is.

Hibby or not, her comments are WAY wide of the mark, and I find it pretty pathetic that because something has annoyed her (and a lot of others, granted) that she'd go to the extent of motioning for bans - (although knowing the SPL, and employment of such a ban would be enforced with 10x more vigour than the "ban" on Sectarian songs/flags/behaviour etc).

I'd rather listen to the constant buzz of the horns than go through the next 3 weeks listening to John Motson and his cancerous mole Mark Lawrenson bleathering pish every other 90 minutes.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also read an article by fellow Hibs fan Margo MacDonald on the BBC earlier, where she has pleaded with the Scottish Parliament to impose a blanket ban from SPL grounds, on the basis that you would be unable to hear police security messages.

Totally agree, I'm no a fan of them but there are worse things at football (in the case of this WC, the football itself is the outstanding drab feature).
    As for Margo's representations I would imagine the vuvuzela would be covered by the 'controlled articles' prohibition contained in the SPL ground regulations anyway, so it's all a big fuss about nowt.
    FWIW I have a lot of time for Margo MacDonald but I feel she should be directing her political talents away from this load of nonsense.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A dinnae like them, and agree 100% wi margo.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I'm at my final tether with "vuvuzelas". Not the listening to them, but the plethora of people who are never done whinging about them.

I've read so many articles about "people complaining to the BBC", "they're ruining the World Cup", "they should be banned", "make sure they're banned from use in Scotland".

The World Cup is in South Africa, and that's how they watch football down there - it might be a little annoying to listen to on the TV but the fact that people are going to lengths such as writing complaints to FIFA, the BBC etc is just bloody pathetic - do people REALLY think the BBC have the power to get them stopped?

They're not ruining the World Cup - the lack of quality football is ruining the World Cup - Christ, if it weren't for the vuvuzelas, we'd have to listen to commentary duo after commentary duo prattle on about dull matches, whinging about their misfortune to be sitting in a stadium in South Africa, getting paid rediculous amounts of cash to provide coverage of a multitude of football matches, just because the action isn't raging from end to end. When they aren't moaning, we'd be hearing all about spurious connections to England, 1966, or players in the Slovenian/New Zealand/Greek national sides who used to play in the Championship once upon a time.

Even with the vuvuzelas, announcements over the PA's in these grounds are very audible. I'm not promoting they wing their way into support-wide use in the SPL, but god-forbid someone want to employ a new method to bring some noise to the stadia in this country - God knows the "vocal support" is utterly dire as it is.

Hibby or not, her comments are WAY wide of the mark, and I find it pretty pathetic that because something has annoyed her (and a lot of others, granted) that she'd go to the extent of motioning for bans - (although knowing the SPL, and employment of such a ban would be enforced with 10x more vigour than the "ban" on Sectarian songs/flags/behaviour etc).

I'd rather listen to the constant buzz of the horns than go through the next 3 weeks listening to John Motson and his cancerous mole Mark Lawrenson bleathering pish every other 90 minutes.
    You have to do both though.

TBH i actually agree with your first paragraph, i'm used to them now, they're still annoying but i'm used to that annoying noise and accept it's just going to be part of the games though so i wish people would stop going on about them.

I would absolutely hate for them to become the norm at hibs games though.

Edit:-forgot to say, try and remember the best atmosphere you've ever been at and think what it would have been like if singing was replaced with these trumpets being blown regardless of what was happening at the game, the thought of replacing the atmosphere at the AEK athens game with constant blowing of horns is a worrying thought.
    Last edited by bingo70; 15-06-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Totally agree, I'm no a fan of them but there are worse things at football (in the case of this WC, the football itself is the outstanding drab feature).
    As for Margo's representations I would imagine the vuvuzela would be covered by the 'controlled articles' prohibition contained in the SPL ground regulations anyway, so it's all a big fuss about nowt.
    FWIW I have a lot of time for Margo MacDonald but I feel she should be directing her political talents away from this load of nonsense.
    Yep - can't argue with any of that, although drums etc are still used (Rangers and Livingstons' support spring to mind), so would a musical instrument/horn not be considered in conjunction with this?
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

I hate them...
    can't we take them to Tynie with us next season (or will that just add as a welcome to their many new world cup stars)?

Yep - can't argue with any of that, although drums etc are still used (Rangers and Livingstons' support spring to mind), so would a musical instrument/horn not be considered in conjunction with this?
    Possibly a bit of a grey area but I'd imagine the cops would deem them as potential 'weapons' and easier and more disposable to use as missiles. To be honest, I cannae see them catching on here in any case.

Coaching Staff
    for the OP

I'm bringing **** loads to Easter Road next season. If enough people want them then they'll take of, if nobody wants them then they'll die out!

Quote Originally Posted by Storar View Post
    for the OP

I'm bringing **** loads to Easter Road next season. If enough people want them then they'll take of, if nobody wants them then they'll die out!
    May I make a suggestion...I've got quite a few Jambo mates...all with kids...
    I'm sure their little darlings would love one to blow throughout the World Cup/summer holidays...

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    A dinnae like them, and agree 100% wi margo.
    me too.

Im sick of people moaning about people moaning about them.

@hibs.net private member Pheona's Avatar

Vuvuzelas are just the modern version of THIS

I would stick them up their a**e and then down their throats. Then they would be sick of them too!!

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Watching on TV they don't annoy me at all. I completely tune them out most of the time, every 15 or 20 minutes I become aware of the sound again, but it really doesn't bother me.

That said, I imagine it'd be pretty awful having someone sat behind you blasting away on one, so I wouldn't like see them turning up at SPL games, but I find it very unlikely that they'll suddenly become popular over here.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo

If they also drone out the Nade song =

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    I hate them...
    can't we take them to Tynie with us next season (or will that just add as a welcome to their many new world cup stars)?
    There is enough trumpets at Tynie without us taking more.

First Team Regular
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SHERiFF WO0DY
    is it not an african tradition at football games?
    points to why i like it are:
    1) it drowns out the english commentators
    2) it drowns out the english fans "chanting"
    3) it reminds me of bees, bees remind me of summer, i like summer. its warmer
    4) if it is a african fooball tradition then its good to see other countrys contributing
    5) it has given me an excuse to try and find one out and toot it

I'm with the clear majority on this - they are awful.

It's the World Cup - not the South Africa cup.

Frankly, I think it's a little embarrassing that a constant drone masquarades as 'support' and 'atmosphere' and does the locals no favours at all in how they are perceived by the rest of the world.

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    ive not read all this so apologies if point has been made, but if bbc/itv really want to cancel them out, turn off the feeds from the mics around the ground, get omni directional mics for the commentators and ull hardly hear them......however double edge sword as it'll sound like radio commentary.....aka ******

Are you, in fact, me?

Only watched 2 games all the way through so far , opening game and the English one both in the pub.
    I tried watching a couple in the house ,lasted 5 - 10 mins noise done my box in, lifes to short to listen to they soddin things

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    They're certainly not improving the World Cup, that's for sure.

Crowd noise and reaction can add to the game... instead all you can hear is a near-constant blare from the stands.

That, and the rows and rows of empty seats, are making for a rubbish atmosphere so far... this World Cup has not had a great first week.

Vuvuzelas may well be an African football tradition (since the 1990s - ), but it's doing nothing for this competition at all.

To the poster further up - they remind me of bees! EH?!!

First Team Breakthrough since90plustwo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: FIN1875
    they may be annoying but its part of the world cup. i dont particularly like them but i wouldnt have them banned as they are creating an atmosphere at a dull world cup.

First Team Regular
    Can't say I like them but if you are taking the World Cup somewhere then I think you have to go to an extent with the "special atmosphere" of that country. They are obviously a big part of the South African game so it seems a bit ridiculous to say they should banned for the comfort of people sitting on their backsides watching TV (no matter how many millions or squillions that might be). From a South African point of view it would be like being told you could no longer sing at a game in Scotland. Will any real football fans stop watching the World Cup because of them? Very few I'd imagine. At the end of the day the SA World Cup will be remembered for this (like the Mexican wave for instance) and every tournament needs something a bit different. Hopefully it will also be remembered for some good attacking football but as one or two have said there hasn't been much of that in evidence so far and that's more of a concern to me.

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    My view on the vuvuzela.

Parrrrppppp!!!

Last edited by stu in nottingham; 16-06-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Are people actually saying that blowing these things would attract people to football in the SPL ?, more like turning folk away and i for one would not pay £400 odd quid for a ST just to listen to that.

I can safely say if i was sitting next to someone the whole season blowing that thing in my lug i'd shove it where the sun don't shine. Sorry but a match is for cheering and shouting, why would you want to blow that for 90 mins just watch the game ffs.

Rant over

Heard on the forth one yesterday that sfa would refuse to ban them if they turned up at an spl game, so your not allowed to take a plastic bottle into a game because it could be used as an offensive weapon but yuu can have a vuvezela! Don't fancy getting smacked on the head with one of them if a riot broke out!