hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

The English Media & Us

They hate that we will not get behind them, simply because our nations are close together.

Its a major issue and its in the news constantly when we do not qualify.

Tonight i am watching the Germany game and the commentators and pundits are acting like someone has shot there granny because Germany are winning at football.

I know there was the war, but that was a long time ago now, no one playing for Germany had anything to do with it so why wont they give up the hate?

Because they are Rivals? Yep thats exactly it, but if someone scottish says they wont support England they are lambasted by others and seen as a lesser person because of a simple football rivalry.

We all have friends that are English and we probably dont hate them, not supporting there football team is a total non issue. I usually dont get riled up by this but the TV coverage attitude towards Germany is shocking they actually cannot stand to see them do anything decent and they cannot even praise them for outplaying Australia with Adrian Chiles coming out with the gem " Surely its just Australia making them look good?"

Are they really that scared of playing Germany?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They hate that we will not get behind them, simply because our nations are close together.

Its a major issue and its in the news constantly when we do not qualify.

Tonight i am watching the Germany game and the commentators and pundits are acting like someone has shot there granny because Germany are winning at football.

I know there was the war, but that was a long time ago now, no one playing for Germany had anything to do with it so why wont they give up the hate?

Because they are Rivals? Yep thats exactly it, but if someone scottish says they wont support England they are lambasted by others and seen as a lesser person because of a simple football rivalry.

We all have friends that are English and we probably dont hate them, not supporting there football team is a total non issue. I usually dont get riled up by this but the TV coverage attitude towards Germany is shocking they actually cannot stand to see them do anything decent and they cannot even praise them for outplaying Australia with Adrian Chiles coming out with the gem " Surely its just Australia making them look good?"

Are they really that scared of playing Germany?
    I think they just want to be loved. They're just not very loveable tho.....

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Had to laugh when the commentator said "Das Bild, the German newspaper will hsve it that they have won the cup already". They spent the whole game talking as if England had already qualified!
    Last edited by Argylehibby; 13-06-2010 at 09:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Had to laugh when the commentator said "Das Bild, the German newspaper will hsve it that they have won the cup already". They spent the whole game talking as if Englnad had already qualified!
    Bild is absolute gutter press, but it's practically James Joyce compared to the Sun, etc.

I really can't understand why so much is made of Scots not supporting England. No one could pretend to be surprised that Lazio fans want Roma to lose in Europe - throughout world football (and sport in general) the biggest rivalries are always between neighbouring teams.

I find it terribly sad if Scots actually hate England or English people, but wanting them to lose every game they play? That's completely natural IMO.

Most of the players in the England team I have respect for, its not them that get me annoyed its the press. Every time they are in a tournament they build them up because of course they are the best in the world and of course they have the best team. They get right on my nerves and it will be even funnier when they get knocked out. I hate that ****** David Cameron aswell. Rant over.

Some great points made. I was quite surprised by the commentators in the Germany game. I could understand a few piss takes here and there because of their rivalry but they sounded like they were seething with jealously that Germany were demolishing the Aussies while England had stumbled to a draw.

They know deep down now that if they do get through Germany awaits later in the tournament and the Germans will have them bent over and taking one.

I also don't see what the big thing is about us not supporting/supporting England. In footballing terms we are two completely separate states and I wouldn't expect other neighbouring countries to support each other and wouldn't see them making such a big deal about it.

Also I don't see why some Scots who decide to support England make such a big deal about it. I'm supporting Argentina but I don't make a big song and dance about it and think of myself as somehow being above everyone else.

Thankfully England will be pumped out soon enough and we can sit back and enjoy a quality end to the tournament.

First Team Breakthrough
    its not just us that want to see them get pumped
    They are universally despised

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    They are simply keeking their breeks.

Behind the scenes they are biting their nails and hoping England won't qualify, just to save them the sheer embarassment of being shown up for the garbage they really are againt REAL teams like Germany, Spain & Argentina.

I'm actually hoping they do qualify, then they can be shown up for the over hyped circus of a team they really are.

And for the record, I don't hate English people. I just hate their accents, their attitudes, their minging cities, their smug smiles and their superiority complex that could quite easily rival the yams.

It does wind me up alittle when the English big themselves up to be "world beaters" and have "the best league in the world" etc etc having lived here in england all my life, however it seems to be the media and the "Fans" who trumpet this balls. I spend alot of time with people who understand the game (I teach and study the game with them) and the ones who do know their game know england wont do well. Maybe they will fluke to the semi's if results go their way but if they dont they are coming home in the second round realistically.

Capello is a coaching hero of mine but at the end of the day he can only train them, inform them, coach them and prepare them for a game... once the whistle goes then it is up to the players.

Englands (and the rest of the UKs football teams tbf) problems are alot deeper than people think.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    Fact! Anywhere I travel I am asked if I am English, when I point out that I am Scottish this is greeted with (95% of the time) a very positive reaction followed by a comment that the person dosen't like the English. Jonny Foreigner doesn't do accents apparently.
    I actually wanted England to do well, and still feel they might, up until the tournament kicked off and the cundits started spouting their gash.

Quote Originally Posted by AK86 View Post
    just like the hertz

Coaching Staff
    I dont see what all the fuss is about. Why does everyone have to take it so f'n personally?

I used to think the ABE thing was a bit of banter between local rivals. I was in a pub on Saturday for the USA/England game and the "banter" was actually pretty shameful and nothing short of naked aggression. I was with some English friends and work colleagues. I felt totally embarrassed on behalf of my countrymen. It does nothing for our image as a country either at home or abroad.

You can dress it up any way you like, moan about the English media, the apparent repeat mentions of 1966 and all that and find any excuse in the book you want. But some of it is just pathetic.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Some great points made. I was quite surprised by the commentators in the Germany game. I could understand a few piss takes here and there because of their rivalry but they sounded like they were seething with jealously that Germany were demolishing the Aussies while England had stumbled to a draw.

They know deep down now that if they do get through Germany awaits later in the tournament and the Germans will have them bent over and taking one.

I also don't see what the big thing is about us not supporting/supporting England. In footballing terms we are two completely separate states and I wouldn't expect other neighbouring countries to support each other and wouldn't see them making such a big deal about it.

Also I don't see why some Scots who decide to support England make such a big deal about it. I'm supporting Argentina but I don't make a big song and dance about it and think of myself as somehow being above everyone else.

Thankfully England will be pumped out soon enough and we can sit back and enjoy a quality end to the tournament.
    Re your last paragraph, this won't happen because the commentators would then switch to "what if "mode, where despite the fact that the've been humped, they convince themselves that England would have been able to beat any of the teams actually playing in the quarters or semis (and even the final).

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    They are simply keeking their breeks.

Behind the scenes they are biting their nails and hoping England won't qualify, just to save them the sheer embarassment of being shown up for the garbage they really are againt REAL teams like Germany, Spain & Argentina.

I
    Xenophobic nonsense.

Exemplify...

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    I dont see what all the fuss is about. Why does everyone have to take it so f'n personally?

I used to think the ABE thing was a bit of banter between local rivals. I was in a pub on Saturday for the USA/England game and the "banter" was actually pretty shameful and nothing short of naked aggression. I was with some English friends and work colleagues. I felt totally embarrassed on behalf of my countrymen. It does nothing for our image as a country either at home or abroad.

You can dress it up any way you like, moan about the English media, the apparent repeat mentions of 1966 and all that and find any excuse in the book you want. But some of it is just pathetic.

I won't watch an England game in the pub now because of the hysteria and hatred.

Although I'm Scottish and can get irritated by some of the remarks made by the pundits, some of the critisisms made of the commentators are utterly hypocritical.

England are 8th in the FIFA worls rankings are are therefore entitled to think they have a chance of winning. They do.

Hibs haven't won the Scottish Cup for a wee while now, but I still think we can win it every year.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post

It wouldn't be so vitriolic if Scotland qualified once in a while. This is the 6th consecutive tournament where Scotland have been absent from the final stages. IMO people are becoming increasingly focused on hating England due to not having our own team to support.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    It wouldn't be so vitriolic if Scotland qualified once in a while. This is the 6th consecutive tournament where Scotland have been absent from the final stages. IMO people are becoming increasingly focused on hating England due to not having our own team to support.
    Yep and its difficult to see us qualifying any time soon.

Back in the 90s as a kid i looked forward to going to a World Cup to support Scotland when i became an adult, now it does not seem that likely. As we struggle by the best teams are just getting better and better and Europe has a large number of excellent teams leaving very little space for mediocre countries like ourselves to make it through.

Right now it would be a HUGE achievement if we were to even qualify for anything based on how good the top European nations are, England included in that.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    I think they just want to be loved. They're just not very loveable tho.....
    That's why they run into problems IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    Fact! Anywhere I travel I am asked if I am English, when I point out that I am Scottish this is greeted with (95% of the time) a very positive reaction followed by a comment that the person dosen't like the English. Jonny Foreigner doesn't do accents apparently.
    I actually wanted England to do well, and still feel they might, up until the tournament kicked off and the cundits started spouting their gash.
    Yup I get asked a lot here where I am from, once it is found out I am Scottish it is open arms time, mind you a certain gentleman getting sent home from prison might have something to do with this lots attitude to us Scots .

For the record, I want them to get stuffed in every game they play, if that is Xenophobic, then I am a Xenophobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    Do not agree, it was equally, if not more, vitriolic when we did qualify, for the same reasons that such vitriol is justifiable now. The English-imposed view through media such as TV that we pay for directly, was even more unacceptable when other teams from the British Isles were there too.

Having a Scottish-based perspective, ie like all other countries who view the world cup, is the only way such vitriol will reduce (though will mnot disappear, there are other issues such as history, politics, English dominanc eof top jobs in many areas of Scotland) which will continue. If we were given 10% of the BBC budget that would ensure pundirty of adequate quality so anyone saying they do not want McLean/Vipond etc completely misses the point.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker II View Post
    Do not agree, it was equally, if not more, vitriolic when we did qualify, for the same reasons that such vitriol is justifiable now. The English-imposed view through media such as TV that we pay for directly, was even more unacceptable when other teams from the British Isles were there too.

Having a Scottish-based perspective, ie like all other countries who view the world cup, is the only way such vitriol will reduce (though will mnot disappear, there are other issues such as history, politics, English dominanc eof top jobs in many areas of Scotland) which will continue. If we were given 10% of the BBC budget that would ensure pundirty of adequate quality so anyone saying they do not want McLean/Vipond etc completely misses the point.
    I'm not in Scotland, but everyone else seems to be saying otherwise.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    It does wind me up alittle when the English big themselves up to be "world beaters" and have "the best league in the world" etc etc having lived here in england all my life, however it seems to be the media and the "Fans" who trumpet this balls. I spend alot of time with people who understand the game (I teach and study the game with them) and the ones who do know their game know england wont do well. Maybe they will fluke to the semi's if results go their way but if they dont they are coming home in the second round realistically.

Capello is a coaching hero of mine but at the end of the day he can only train them, inform them, coach them and prepare them for a game... once the whistle goes then it is up to the players.

Englands (and the rest of the UKs football teams tbf) problems are alot deeper than people think.
    They have good teams and players, yet how many English teams were in CL final this year, and how many English players played in it?

No doubt England are a top team. The frustrating thing is the parochialism that they apply when assessing opposition intournaments. I don't think Capello or the players are that daft - more the people who are paid to give us expert opinion on the tournament.

England's failures are usually mentally over ability. The whole penalties thing shows this, the media's insistance they will win it every time adds huge pressure. This year they're simply not good enough compared to brazil, germany, holland, argentina etc.

As for the earlier arguments its natural when your team doesn't succeed you pick holes in your nearest rivals attempts, as we do when Hearts have a good season and vice versa. There's something comforting in knowing that if you can't win it, neither can they!

The English media is like a bunch of schoolkids with guns. When things go badly they will fire off in any direction.

Usually, we get it - but we can dish it out too.

What is mental is the harking back to the war stuff. The stereotyping is outrageous and genuinely offensive.

So far today I've heard that the Germans have been using the controversial new WC ball in their own league! This is described as "cold professionalism"!

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Xenophobic nonsense.

Exemplify...
    Example?

Ok.

When was the last time England actually beat a half decent side?

Or when was the last time England beat a low grade team and looked comfortable doing so and not just sheer damn lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Yup I get asked a lot here where I am from, once it is found out I am Scottish it is open arms time, mind you a certain gentleman getting sent home from prison might have something to do with this lots attitude to us Scots .

For the record, I want them to get stuffed in every game they play, if that is Xenophobic, then I am a Xenophobe.
    Hear, hear.

If wishing the English football team gets annihilated in every game that they play is xenophobic, racist and bigoted, then I, too, am a xenophobe, racist and a bigot.

Is there a club that we can all join? We could call it the xenobigocist club.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Example?

Ok.

When was the last time England actually beat a half decent side?

Or when was the last time England beat a low grade team and looked comfortable doing so and not just sheer damn lucky?
    I asked for examples to show that they were "keeking their breeks" and "not wanting to qualify".

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    I can agree wi that. In 1969 I was a student in Cologne and went to the Carnival Parade on Shrove Tuesday wi a group of Ford workers from England and Australia. To cut a long story short, I was pushed to the front of the crowd when the Germans knew I was Scottish with the cry of "Make way for the little Scottish lassie" and handed a carrier bag which was filled throughout the parade wi the items caught by the Germans from the passing floats, sweets, boxes of chocs and minatures of Eau de Cologne!
    At the end of the Parade, I had 2 carrier bags full of goodies that I shared wi my English and Australian friends.The English ones couldnay understand why the Germans reacted to my Scottish statement but I guess it was their English arrogence which is still provailiant today.

During my stay in Germany, I made everyone aware that I was Scottish. I was at a beer festival and they were asking for Swizz to stand up and they got a clap, then it was the dutch ,, etc and then it was english. I shouted out "what about the scottish" and I was the only one to stand up but I got the biggest cheer the whole night.Anyone travelling in europe should make sure that they are not mistaken as English. Europeans love us, Scottish, but I don't know why but they do

I think we probably need a Scottish Broadcasting Corporation, or at least a devolved off-shoot of the BBC. Much of the antagonism comes from having someone else's party pushed in your face. You know it really isn't yours, (I think even the saddest wannabee English Hun does deep down inside) but you're somehow expected to join in. Thus you're automatically set in the role of the poor deserving Dickensian urchin who is condescendingly invited to the rich kids party, as long as they sit in the corner and be quiet.

I'd love to see Scottish programming, not in order to snipe at or even ignore England, but to cover the World Cup in a broad-based internationalist way, paying attention to the other teams and non-English personalities in the tournament (I think there are a quite a few, though you'd never know it.) Reactionaries will say that this would undermine the concept of the UK, but I think it would strengthen it, if the smaller nations felt they were being treated with respect. Even if we don't make the finals, can at least watch it through our own lens, and discuss it in our own voice.

When you switch on the television for international football tournaments where England feature and Scotland don't (all of them now, and it ain't gonna change) or have to endure something like the cricket World Cup, NO NATION (and I say that as someone who travels and works abroad a lot) feels more colonialised.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I asked for examples to show that they were "keeking their breeks" and "not wanting to qualify".
    My example of them "keeking their breeks" is their constant smug attitude.

Just because they are acting like over confident grade A fuds, doesn't mean that they actually are confident.

With the level of permormances England have put on in recent times, I certainly wouldn't be confident if I was an Englishmen. I don't think they are either. I think they know that they're going to get pumped.