hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar

World Cup Refereeing.

Just watched Mesut Ozil receive a yellow card for simulation, and out of all the games I've watched so far (admittedly, most of them!) the refereeing has been impeccable.

Both red cards (Uruguay and Algeria) were spot on and there have been bookings for shirt-pulling, diving etc. As a result, the games are flowing more and there are less 'needless' stoppages - because the officials are applying the rules.

A pity we don't/can't enjoy similar scenes in the SPL. I know these officials are the pick of the bunch across the world but a lot of it is purely common sense, which probably says a lot for our refs.
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Noticed the same, and even anti-ref curmudgeon Alan Green admitted the same on 5Live tonight. Theyve been excellent.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Its good seeing folk getting booked for clear dives so early might stop it happening or players risking it later on in the tournament.

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hibs-Liverpool
    disagree with that red though

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochend-Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never a red.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Yep - pretty poor decision - yellow at worst.

He's very card-happy this chap!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochend-Hibs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Never a red.
    Piss poor challenge and made the ref make a decision. Ref was wrong but Cahill made him make the decision however wrong.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Thanks to Marco Rodriguez for completely wrecking this thread!
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

Thought the red card was fair enough, from certain angles it looked horrendous. The refereeing has been great so far IMO, good to see.

I must not have seen those angles then. Because it never looked horrendous on my telly.

Shocking decision, in every angle I've seen. Not the best tackle in the world mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeebob View Post
    I must not have seen those angles then. Because it never looked horrendous on my telly.

Shocking decision, in every angle I've seen. Not the best tackle in the world mind.
    Fair enough. To me, that could have easily been a broken leg and it's the kind of clumsy tackle that needs to be clamped down on.

Seriously?

I'm not trying to be smart here, but are we talking about cahill?

Each to their own. But if that's a straight red then their will be a fair few sendings off in the coming weeks.

Only my arpinion.

Refs have been good up till tonight tho.
    Last edited by Hibeebob; 13-06-2010 at 09:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought the standard of referring has been excellent apart from the last game

I got told at my referee course that the following applies:-

* A careless tackle - have a word, no caution
    * A reckless tackle - caution
    * A dangerous tackle - sending off

I personally think the Cahill tackle falls in between reckless and dangerous. For me, I would've cautioned but told him that anymore tackles, he'd be offski...

My initial reaction to the Cahill challenge was a red. At first glance it appeared to be pretty reckless and dangerous. On the replay however, Cahill sees he isn't going to win the ball, so tries to take his studs away, so it should have been a yellow. Completely understand the decision to send him off though. With Ozil, the booking also stopped him taking a dive to win a penalty against Schwarzer, and went on to have a great game. Hoping for more of the same

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Never near the ball and from behind made the ref think it was dangerous. Red by the letter of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Never near the ball and from behind made the ref think it was dangerous. Red by the letter of the law.
    I can see where your coming from but still a yellow for me. Can totally see why the ref sent him off though. We have numerous angles to look at, from the refs angle it would've looked over the ball, well late and from the back = dangerous = red.

If I had be refereeing from the tunnel side I would've only booked him but from the refs view, see above...

Not on your nelly was that a sending off for Cahill.

He clearly angles his studs well away from Schweinsteiger and actually ends up taking him out with his shins more or less.

Add in that it wasn't off the ground or malicious, and the ref dropped a major bollock on that one IMO.

That said, from the initial camera angle, in real time, it looked a bit worse, and I guess the ref only gets 1 bite at the cherry so to speak.

Blog Entries
    I agree completely, refereeing on whole has been outstanding though Cahill's red was a tad harsh. It was great to see Craig Moore immediately booked for verbal abuse, thought he was back at Greyskull!! Oz can't complain too much re Cahill as Lucas Neill could easily have been red carded, really should have been booked in first half for horrible challenge & his knees into Klose's back was awful, really cynical.
    Let's hope they set standards for next season & that English goalkeeping also continues to raise the bar!

Coaching Staff
    If yuo truly believe Cahill's tackle warranted a red card, then if the same level of application is used in SPL matches next year there will be games abandoned because teams have less than 7 men prior to the end of the game!

The best decision by the officials so far was the linesman in the Mexico game having the savvy to give offside when there was a defender on the near post. Very quick thinking!