hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

The Mercer Family - Today's EEN

Still believe that Wallace's 'vison' was correct.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well they too............are WRONG!!

GGTTH

Mercer was an abberation who, by his own admission, said he was perhaps overzealous. His family are obviously inbred simpletons who are unable to grasp the simplist of concepts - i.e Hibs and Hearts do not mix and have existed largely in terms of one another (competitively speaking. A kind of definition of the self in terms of the other).

Half-wits rarely understand the concept of football rivalry. Any spawn of those fetid loins deserves nothing but derision and contempt.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    The state of us now compared to Hearts shows they are very wrong. Tough luck ****bags you'll never kill Hibernian.

Mongs the **** lot o them!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Mercer was an abberation who, by his own admission, said he was perhaps overzealous. His family are obviously inbred simpletons who are unable to grasp the simplist of concepts - i.e Hibs and Hearts do not mix and have existed largely in terms of one another (competitively speaking. A kind of definition of the self in terms of the other).

Half-wits rarely understand the concept of football rivalry. Any spawn of those fetid loins deserves nothing but derision and contempt.
    His vision wasn't to mix them though. It was to remove one allowing the other to grow stronger. There was no "merger".

Coaching Staff
    The best part of the "Team that never died" programme was when STF was recalling the meetings with Wallace. It was very much like a far wiser, more experienced, more knowledgable man (STF), beating down an impetuous, reckless, know-it-all.......like a classier version of the Apprentice. And Wallace........you were fired !!

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    That's fine then, i assume they would be more than happy to support a proposal for the financially stable and well managed club of the two to attempt a take-over of the skint, technically insolvent club in a "merger" to improve football in edinburgh then?? ........

any link to the article in question ?

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    These types of people never learn, tell you what theres already a huge amount of animosity toward my family, think ill make a comment that will bring more on to us.....complete ******s.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    any link to the article in question ?
    Here you go

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steviecarnie View Post
    These types of people never learn, tell you what theres already a huge amount of animosity toward my family, think ill make a comment that will bring more on to us.....complete ******s.
    Yep a criticism of those who sing the Mercer songs is his family's feelings - by jumping in with idiotic statements like these they open themselves up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by frazerbob View Post
    His vision wasn't to mix them though. It was to remove one allowing the other to grow stronger. There was no "merger".

Exactly. My point being that Hearts would have essentially lost a massive part of their identity also with the removal of the rivalry. It was an ill thought out enterprise driven purely by greed.

Quote Originally Posted by frazerbob View Post
    exactly. mercers vision was right, my erse

They'll get their wish when hearts eventually go bust and fold.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    The whole article is drivel. The change was never a visionary Edinburgh United but a killing of Hibs. This was then to be followed by a mass insanity by the Hibs support of them supporting the very team that had killed theirs.

If that works in their small minds then here is the truth. A pathetic little man saw a business opportunity and went for it. He did not understand enough about football to see it would never work. In doing so he created a crisis at Hibs and cost Hearts a lot of cash. He ensured that a real Edinburgh United would never happen. He failed at that and later failed with the Hearts.

Who are these people who feel their lies count Would they care to take a statement from the Hibs support about the matter. Your relative is despised by a large section of Edinburgh and always will be. Re-write that muppets.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    Your relative is despised by a large section of Edinburgh and always will be. Re-write that muppets.
    Too right.

Love Hibs. Hate Mercer.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    ... and with that they forego any right for him to be left in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    ... and with that they forego any right for him to be left in peace.
    Exactly. They don't want to reignite old passions so instead they put out a statement to the press saying their fat ******* of a relative was right all along

Another set of classless yams.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Some select quotes below which show the Mercers still have no idea whatsoever what football is all about to the everyday fan in the street. To be fair, it was the Evening News that asked them for a quote rather than these comments being unsolicited, but they could easily have kept a dignified silence rather than rehearsing 20 year old arguments which have been widely derided in the period which followed.

In it Mercer's wife Anne and their son and daughter, Iain and Helen, insist "sound football and economic reasons" drove the momentum for a merger, one which, they say, was agreed at board level within both clubs.

"It was considered that Edinburgh – a capital city and one of the great financial centres of Europe – punched well below its weight in football terms and that this was likely to continue while resources and loyalties were split between two clubs. Subsequent events, with Rangers and Celtic tightening their stranglehold on Scottish senior football, have proved this to be right."

The Mercers claimed there was strong support among football fans within the Edinburgh business community for the plan, one which, they insisted, was not simply the sole preserve of the former Tynecastle supremo but had the full support of the Hearts board.

Admitting the proposal was withdrawn because the strength of feeling among sections of the Hibs support relating to "identity and socio-historic issues" had been underestimated...

Blog Entries
    The biggest nonsense in this whole story is the perpetuation of the myth that Mercer had a " football vision ". Mercer had no vision re football whatsoever. He was a West of Scotland rugby man steeped in Tory & Masonic traditions. If he had leanings to any football team it was to the Huns. He had one vision only & that was Greed!
    True to his credo his vision was to sell the prime locations of ER & Tynecastle & effectively asset strip both Hibs & Hawrts. Although a new ground was to be built, probably at Straiton , he would have received significant grants & contracts were already being drawn up giving the work to associated companies.
    I sat next to Mercer on a plane a few months after the takeover failed. Disappointingly he was quite approachable but his football knowledge was zero. This was 2 days after a major win for Hearts, he couldn't name the scorers or the subs who came on. He freely admitted to me his first love was rugby.
    Don't give the vision concept any credibility, this was a son of Thatcher engaging in naked, capitalist greed.

His vision of Edinburgh United. What a load of £$%^&&**!

His proposals were to call the 'combined' team Heart of Midlothian, to play at Tynecastle, in maroon and white.

The nutter did not have a clue.

As for perpetuating old firm ascendancy, Mercer did as much as anyone to keep Hearts away from any challenge. He bled the club dry by extracting every penny he could from the Peman and Leslie Deans in the takover and subsequently.

Coaching Staff
    My wife grew up with the daughter and has known the family very well for 30 years.

They are as far removed from a family that has any comprehension of football and what it actually means to football fans as you can get so their ramblings on the matter are best ignored.

He'd deid we're not and that's the main thing.

Reading these stories the last few days reminds me just how far we've come and how incredibly bad the position is on the other side now from an infrastructure point of view. Justice done to some extent but not finished yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    They are as far removed from a family that has any comprehension of football and what it actually means to football fans as you can get so their ramblings on the matter are best ignored
    In that case, they'd have been far better keeping their traps shut about it rather than commenting in a release to the EEN

Obviously this clown called Thundercats are go doesnt know what supporting a football club means to them

Im aware of my comments about people linking to hibs.net so will eat the humble pie for mentioning them.
    I genuinely cant believe the disgusting comments being made about Wallace Mercer and his family over there. Just received an email with a link to three threads about what happened 20 years ago and am frankly disgusted.

I may sometimes say over here it too strictly moderated but i take that back, for people to post gloating about a mans death is sick.

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you).

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index....943-hibs-fans/

:asshole:

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Obviously this clown called Thundercats are go doesnt know what supporting a football club means to them

Im aware of my comments about people linking to hibs.net so will eat the humble pie for mentioning them.
    I genuinely cant believe the disgusting comments being made about Wallace Mercer and his family over there. Just received an email with a link to three threads about what happened 20 years ago and am frankly disgusted.

I may sometimes say over here it too strictly moderated but i take that back, for people to post gloating about a mans death is sick.

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you).

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index....943-hibs-fans/

:asshole:
    What does that clown expect? We've just to run around, forgetting what Mercer tried to do, praising him and laying flowers on his grave?

That man tried to ruin the football club I love, and I will never be able to forget that (despite not being born when it all happened). And for his family to suggest it was the right thing to do , well they must be plain stupid.

I'm never disrespectful about the dead, but for Mercer I make an exception.
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Lofarl
    You know I never sung the Mercer song at football games. I thought despite my feelings towards the man he did have a family and they had nothing to do with it.

Thats all change now.

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post

i wont link to the threads as i know it upsets some (yes, me included) and some of the language may get me into trouble for linking to it. but those interested in just how low that lot over the road can stoop can look (wouldnt if i were you)

Given some of the things that have been allowed to stand on their forum by their mods over the years, that's really really rich.

Quote Originally Posted by MountcastleHibs View Post

I'm never disrespectful about the dead, but for Mercer I make an exception.
    Slightly off-topic but why is someone deserving of respect by virtue of their non-existance? Wallace Mercer was a greed driven misanthrope in life. He's dead now, so what? It doesn't change anything. Why fall into the abyss of hypocrasy just because someone is dead. Death is inevitable and only those who were decent, respectful human beings in life should be afforded the same in the wake of their demise.

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Slightly off-topic but why is someone deserving of respect by virtue of their non-existance? Wallace Mercer was a greed driven misanthrope in life. He's dead now, so what? It doesn't change anything. Why fall into the abyss of hypocrasy just because someone is dead. Death is inevitable and only those who were decent, respectful human beings in life should be afforded the same in the wake of their demise.
    Pity Dale doesn't feel like that then haha.

Well he didn't have my respect when he was alive either. It doesn't sit well to me to be disrespectful to someone who is dead, after all they can't defend themselves. Mercer is an exception to this. Truly despicable human being.
    You found your God in a paper back, you get your history from the Union Jack, and all your brothers and sisters have gone and they won't come back.