hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercer quote

Mercer quote

I've been Reading the take over stories on evening news website and a lot ofthe hands of hibs things I can find on the net but haven't read any quotes from mercer himself?!?

I'm sure I've read in the past, a quote from him something like "there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".

Is is this true or is it something I've imagined?

If so can anyone find me a link? Also any other links to the story would be appreciated!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been Reading the take over stories on evening news website and a lot ofthe hands of hibs things I can find on the net but haven't read any quotes from mercer himself?!?

I'm sure I've read in the past, a quote from him something like "there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".

Is is this true or is it something I've imagined?

If so can anyone find me a link? Also any other links to the story would be appreciated!

Don't think he was ever as blatant as that in public.

According to Wally Smirker, it was a 'merger' he was after....

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Did he not talk about Hearts of EDINBURGH at one point? His only concession.

I hate even discussing him

I think that as the deal began to look less likely Mercer became more vocal about his true motives.

The scary thing is that had it not been for Mercers ego and his desire to publicise himself the deal could have been done very quietly and not been known about until it was very close to being too late.

Thankfully Mercer was an egotistical muppet.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.
    Sir Tom Farmer...

This clown raped his own club. Took shed loads of cash out of them Made a mint.
    I remember when he was replaced all my Hertz mates were delighted.... maroon tinted specs and 20years and they have him as hero status.

I will always have nothing but contempt for the FTB and so glad my club outlived him and not the other way about.

God Bless Hibernian FC.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhibs View Post
    I think that as the deal began to look less likely Mercer became more vocal about his true motives.

The scary thing is that had it not been for Mercers ego and his desire to publicise himself the deal could have been done very quietly and not been known about until it was very close to being too late.

Thankfully Mercer was an egotistical muppet.

Yup. He announced the deal before it was fully finalised.

But it WAS a very close-run thing, and very nearly a done deal.

It's ironic that most of Hearts' present troubles have their roots in Mercer's hubris and financial irresponsibility. He sowed the seed. The Yams are now reaping the harvest.
    Last edited by --------; 02-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Mercer was a self-publicist and not much more. History remembers him as a failure - he achieved nothing with Hearts other than to put his smug Tory face out there and was beaten in his attempt to end Hibernian. He was probably too aloof and stupid to understand how people could actually care so much about something other than money.

:notworthy:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    This clown raped his own club. Took shed loads of cash out of them Made a mint.
    I remember when he was replaced all my Hertz mates were delighted.... maroon tinted specs and 20years and they have him as hero status.

I will always have nothing but contempt for the FTB and so glad my club outlived him and not the other way about.

God Bless Hibernian FC.

Absolutely

Hope the gits roasting in hell

A snippet from the piece in yesterdays EEN

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sp...-on.6331902.jp

Dinner at the nearby Hilton Hotel followed with Mercer, said to be in an exuberant and loquacious mood, picked up the Ł341 bill, the wine having flowed freely, – and the following morning Scotland awoke to the shattering
    news.

Absolute horrible excuse of a man who knew **** all about what football means to its supporters

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Surprised no-one ever wrote a book about the whole ordeal. A bit of investigative journalism would make it even more fascinating, maybe including what happened to the major players in the years that followed.

Still remember Trevor McDonut reading the news about the bid on News at Ten.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Surprised no-one ever wrote a book about the whole ordeal. A bit of investigative journalism would make it even more fascinating, maybe including what happened to the major players in the years that followed.

Still remember Trevor McDonut reading the news about the bid on News at Ten.

Legal issues, I'd say.

There were so many dodgy aspects of the deal. And so many of the protagonists still alive....

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Legal issues, I'd say.

There were so many dodgy aspects of the deal. And so many of the protagonists still alive....
    Speaking of which.

Just in case anyone harboured good will to Duff for not selling, consider this:

http://www.corruptlawyers.co.uk/farideh_Beveridge.aspx

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Wonder what happened to that other crook David Rowland. I hope the piece of ***t went to jail.

Thank God we got rid of that whole lot. Other clubs are going through it now or will have it still to come, thanfully our episode is behind us.

QUOTE=hfc rd;2483680]Everytime I see a picture of Wallace Mercer, I just spit on it. F***ing delighted that those yam fuds are in so much debt and could go out of business if Romanov decides to leave as who would ever want to take over a club like that.[/QUOTE]

Legal issues, I'd say.

John Mackay touched on the issue in his book 'The Easter Road Story'. He pretty much admitted that in both that book and the earlier 'The Hibees' he couldn't really tell the whole story and certainly couldn't make his feelings as clear as he may have liked.

I'm sure that with the passage of time, the main character dead and the rest not getting any younger we may sometime soon see far more details emerge regarding the whole sorry affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Wonder what happened to that other crook David Rowland. I hope the piece of ***t went to jail.

Thank God we got rid of that whole lot. Other clubs are going through it now or will have it still to come, thanfully our episode is behind us.
    Far from it. Rowland is now worth around Ł700m and lives in Guernsey.

His son Jonathan now runs the family business (Rowland Capital Limited) and they're aiming to manage Ł1bn of funds this year. Dad takes a back seat and counts his loot.

Yup. He announced the deal before it was fully finalised.

But it WAS a very close-run thing, and very nearly a done deal.

I take comfort from the fact that most of Hearts' present troubles have their roots in Mercer's hubris and financial irresponsibility. He sowed the seed. The Yams are now reaping the harvest.

Rot the lot of them.
    Fact is it was badly kept secret some six weeks before the story broke.
    I was witness to that being told "on pain of death" not to speak out
    Main reasons for the deals failure to go through were Duff and Gray looking for a better return , on their shares, than Mercer was willing to offer plus a bigger involvement in the new set up. This allied to the valuation set by independent assessors on ER stadium

As to the OP's question ""there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".
    All I heard , more than once , was " ....the stadium and surrounding land will be sold and in essence HFC as it stands will cease to exist ....."
    Take what you like from that

I am personally sad to see the EN/David Hardie dig this up yet again .
    Mercer is dead (RIP) and HFC are still here in a healthy state - end of !!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post

I disagree. It's a huge part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten. Younger fans need to know what can happen when a club like ours, where the real estate is usually worth more than the team, is badly managed financially and therefore vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    I disagree. It's a huge part of our history and shouldn't be forgotten. Younger fans need to know what can happen when a club like ours, where the real estate is usually worth more than the team, is badly managed financially and therefore vulnerable.

I remember listening on the radio as a 10 yr old like it was just last week.

How any Hibs fan can just forget, I'll never know.

Good to see this story come up sometimes, especially as now that I'm older I'm interested in more details.

If nothing else, it should make us appreciate our Hibees even more & enjoy what we have now and to look forward to in the future.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Fact is it was badly kept secret some six weeks before the story broke.
    I was witness to that being told "on pain of death" not to speak out
    Main reasons for the deals failure to go through were Duff and Gray looking for a better return , on their shares, than Mercer was willing to offer plus a bigger involvement in the new set up. This allied to the valuation set by independent assessors on ER stadium

As to the OP's question ""there will be one club in Edinburgh and they will be called heart of Midlothian".
    All I heard , more than once , was " ....the stadium and surrounding land will be sold and in essence HFC as it stands will cease to exist ....."
    Take what you like from that

RIP my arse, i hope he's rotting in hell, were he belongs. The biggest piece of **** ever to associate himself to hearts, and i include the idiot in charge there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly.

It's a huge part of our history and in many ways a very proud part of it. Of course the few years leading up to the incident and the bid and negotiations themselves where very unsavoury and pretty embarassing. However the whole sorry affair reignited the passion in a lot of fans who had fallen by the wayside and it was a great victory for the fans over a businessman with hostile intentions. The cup win very soon after was the cherry on top.

In the years following we have gone from strength to strength. Sir Tom Farmer has allowed the correct people to run the club in a professional manner, we are still at, a near completed, Easter Road, we have played European football several times, have played in numerous cup finals and semi finals, have won the league cup twice, have our own wonderful training facilities and have produced some brilliantly talented young players.

The Mercer affair shouldn't be what we define ourselves by and it shouldn't be at the forefront of our minds every minute of every day. However coming up for the 20th anniversary i think it is only right that the EEN and Hibs supporters make the effort to mark the event. A period of our history that should never, ever be forgotten and something which should be used to remind some of our more impatient and naive supporters what can happen when a club tries to live outwith it's means.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    RIP my arse, i hope he's rotting in hell, were he belongs. The biggest piece of **** ever to associate himself to hearts, and i include the idiot in charge there now.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I'm glad that they are marking it cause i wasn't alive at the time it all happened and would like to know more information about it. I also think it is the correct thing to mark it as it makes you appreciate the fact that we are still in existence and as a club are ran in the correct manner unlike our neighbours who are in downfall and at this moment in time not looking at much of a future to look forward to.

GIRFUY Mercer.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    I remember it very well. During the saga I was at Italia 90 with a group of guys from Alloa including a couple of JTs and a certain Spike Mandela. I got footie fans from all over the world to sign the petition and there were Hands Off Hibs stickers left all over Europe. The only person who wouldn't sign was a Hun. I can remember crying like a wee lassie when it was announced on the news that the FTB had failed in his bid to kill us off.

He never openly said that there would only be one club and it would be called Hearts but it was very obvious to all Hibees that would be the case. Even now I talk to fans of other clubs and they talk about a merger and think it would have been some kind of Edinburgh United.

Not quire sure what his association " with hearts " has to do with this thread
    I met the man on numerous occasions and he was an egotistical bully , and bad mannered with it .
    However he was a human being with family and , although I have no religous beliefs , I cannot bring myself to agree with your remarks .
    Hr never physically harmed you did he ?
    "Man's inhumanity to man" comes to mind

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Not quire sure what his association " with hearts " has to do with this thread
    I met the man on numerous occasions and he was an egotistical bully , and bad mannered with it .
    However he was a human being with family and , although I have no religous beliefs , I cannot bring myself to agree with your remarks .
    Hr never physically harmed you did he ?
    "Man's inhumanity to man" comes to mind

He wanted to kill the thing thats closest to me, apart from my family. I too have no real religious beliefs, but if had got what he wanted, i think i'd have been pretty near the front of a very large queue, with a baseball bat. I would have had no problem beating that man to a pulp. If that makes me inhumane, then so be it. I hate him with a passion, even though i never met him, i still hate him now.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Fat *******. Here's hoping the Jambo fud is rotting away in hell. Well, he's rotting away at least.

As you say, a thoroughly obnoxious man.
    Detested by many Jambos who met or had dealings with him. Eulogised by many now no doubt.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Couldn't agree more !