hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Landscaping and finishing off

Now the stadium is almost complete, there's an opportunity for Hibs to involve fans in ideas for general landscaping and finishing off the site to a standard as high as that of the overall structure. The interest in the building of the new stand shows that the Hibs Family take a real interest and pride in the 'Family Home'.

I'm assuming that the road at the back of the South stand will lead all the way round the back of the new east and will finally be tarmac finished: it looks pretty 'unadopted' now. The entrance to the Club in the west is very understated. Maybe this is deliberate, but I know there was discussion about banners for the frontage when it opened, or a an illuminated Hibernian FC sign. Maybe it's just me but it's still seems odd that, other than the engravings on the doors and the sign behind the reception desk, there's nothing that indicates it's the home of Hibs from the approach.

Finally, the green fencing at various points, notably between the south and west, is obviously serviceable for security but it does look a bit basic, as if the ground was a building site. With a bit of thought, or a competition, or a bit of sponsorship, maybe more elegant fencing could be designed or used - maybe the Hannan Gates to rival Anfield's Shankly gates or similar? Likewise, the Hawkhill entrance to the new east will need some kind of fencing/barrier - a uniform design around the ground, that looked more than just serviceable, would complete the place perfectly.

In the great scheme of things these finishing off bits are not hugely important, but Hibs have a reputation for doing things well and with a bit of class, and these would be the finishing touches to a brilliant stadium. I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nothing to say other than I agree with all the above although there will no doubt be people who complain about wasting money on signs/ landscaping and not spending on players.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    It would be great if we could have a flower bed with our badge on it, should be easy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be great if we could have a flower bed with our badge on it, should be easy enough.
    The spherical box hedging is a nice touch as well, you could have some columns and pillars for a faux Roman effect too, topped off with a sculpture of Stanton, Best or Konte on the architrave

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Centre Circle do you ok

Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    Centre Circle do you ok
    Yip, and we could get mixu back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Now the stadium is almost complete, there's an opportunity for Hibs to involve fans in ideas for general landscaping and finishing off the site to a standard as high as that of the overall structure. The interest in the building of the new stand shows that the Hibs Family take a real interest and pride in the 'Family Home'.

I'm assuming that the road at the back of the South stand will lead all the way round the back of the new east and will finally be tarmac finished: it looks pretty 'unadopted' now. The entrance to the Club in the west is very understated. Maybe this is deliberate, but I know there was discussion about banners for the frontage when it opened, or a an illuminated Hibernian FC sign. Maybe it's just me but it's still seems odd that, other than the engravings on the doors and the sign behind the reception desk, there's nothing that indicates it's the home of Hibs from the approach.

Finally, the green fencing at various points, notably between the south and west, is obviously serviceable for security but it does look a bit basic, as if the ground was a building site. With a bit of thought, or a competition, or a bit of sponsorship, maybe more elegant fencing could be designed or used - maybe the Hannan Gates to rival Anfield's Shankly gates or similar? Likewise, the Hawkhill entrance to the new east will need some kind of fencing/barrier - a uniform design around the ground, that looked more than just serviceable, would complete the place perfectly.

In the great scheme of things these finishing off bits are not hugely important, but Hibs have a reputation for doing things well and with a bit of class, and these would be the finishing touches to a brilliant stadium. I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:
    Just slab it and put chips down.

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    the new road created needs named first :)

The Old East gates are in storage and will be incorporated into the new part at the side / behind of the East supposedly.

I agree about given it a Hibernian make over and always said they needed a large HIBERNIAN FC sign on the west / side of the North and even maybe back of East and South so all can see from distance that it's our home. I would assume you need planning permission for such a thing though ?

Blog Entries
    Bloody Hell - who would have thought Alan Titchmarsh would be on Hibs net????

I forgot to mention the water (of Leith) feature and the memorial McCormick decking......
    Philly McGuinness, Leitrim GAA, died playing in a club match for Mohill. He epitomised all that is best about sport, making a 6 hour round trip to training three times a week from his workplace in Mayo, and was never late. His motto was 'Give it all, or give nothing'. One for all sportsmen to consider.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm sure the tache has it in hand!!!!!:notworthy:
    I reckon he did when it was confirmed that Bamba's going to the world cup.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bighairyfaeleith View Post
    Centre Circle do you ok
    No thanks. We have enough pansies in the middle of the park as it is.

I agree with the OP. A house is not a home until it is properly and imaginatively furnished!

Some inspiring ideas to reinforce the brand identity is good for business too. I like the idea of neon green Hibs sign somewhere on the west or off the back of the south stand- could look cool after a winter game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Nothing to say other than I agree with all the above although there will no doubt be people who complain about wasting money on signs/ landscaping and not spending on players.
    not bad for having nothing to say,

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    A Topiary tache!!

Quote Originally Posted by random sub View Post
    Some inspiring ideas to reinforce the brand identity is good for business too. I like the idea of neon green Hibs sign somewhere on the west or off the back of the south stand- could look cool after a winter game.
    kind of pointless on the west since it cant be seen from the main road. and the south is the away fans stand - athough if high enough could be seen from meadowbank/abbeyhill junction i suppose.

What about a huge spotlight that projects the Hibs badge onto the night sky above Edinburgh, like Batman.

a simple white/light coloured concrete paving to make the background, with some planting/ hedging/greenery that could create the hibs badge.
    very crude mockup here:

shrubbery would be low maintenance which id expect the club to like.

@hibs.net private member

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    I reckon he did when it was confirmed that Bamba's going to the world cup.

just a thought do hibs even own the carpark behind the west stand or is it part of the old school's?

Quote Originally Posted by steviecarnie View Post
    kind of pointless on the west since it cant be seen from the main road. and the south is the away fans stand - athough if high enough could be seen from meadowbank/abbeyhill junction i suppose.
    Meant to say the north stand. jutting out onto Albion Road so that it forms part of the streetscape.

@hibs.net private member
    Come on our groundsman struggled to grow grass this year, how do you expect him to mange a flower bed.

Blog Entries
    just a thought do hibs even own the carpark behind the west stand or is it part of the old school's?
    I think the Norton Park folk own most of the car park; there's certainly a snippy notice on the gate about it not being for Hibernian parking - though obviously the club use it on match days; maybe they own the part of it nearest the stand?

I remember in the Duff/Gray years, Hibs had the chance to buy the whole of Norton Park, which would have given us a great frontage. In the end, only the old school techie block was bought - but at least that made the present west stand possible. May have been problems with demolishing the main building, looks like it could be listed.

Was just thinking when I was down there earlier in the week what a good bit of business it was for Hibs to buy the current ticket office building, and wondering if they would go for the church and hall next door which looks unused at present?

the church and hall next door which looks unused at present?
    thats been empty for a while i think, cant think what they'd be able to do with it tho? would u be allowed to knock down a church?

Blog Entries
    thats been empty for a while i think, cant think what they'd be able to do with it tho? would u be allowed to knock down a church?
    If it's in bad repair I suppose so - there's a surfeit of them these days it seems. Don't think Hibs would need the building but if they could demolish it, may give better access to the ground. I suppose as a football club you'd want control over close neighbours in case they got a bit awkward about match days etc

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Someone mentioned it before on another thread, but I think that a big club badge on the new roof would be cool - imagine when you're flying into Edinburgh you'd see it. Aso whenever the cameras come to ER they'd no doubt show it too.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    The spherical box hedging is a nice touch as well, you could have some columns and pillars for a faux Roman effect too, topped off with a sculpture of Stanton, Best or Konte on the architrave
    ARCHITRAVE????? WOOOOO!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Come on our groundsman struggled to grow grass this year, how do you expect him to mange a flower bed.
    "Mange" is just about what I WOULD expect considering the state of the pitch the last few years....

The problem is that most church buildings are listed by Historic Scotland and as such can't be demolished. It's a total pain in the neck, IMO, because it means that all sorts of totally unremarkable buildings all over Scotland are being "preserved for posterity" for no good reason whatsoever.

You're absolutely right - that church building (Lockhart Memorial) has been closed for years. I assume that it's still owned by the Church of Scotland, who have no use for it, but if Hibs bought it I suspect they would find that there were so many conditions applied to the sale that they would be hard-pressed to put it to positive use. IIRC the present ticket/booking offices are in a building that was owned by that congregation - part of the old church halls.

BTW - small point of interest. John Combe, the uncle of Bobby Combe who played in the Famous Five team, was Session Clerk of that congregation in the 1930's and 1940's. John was a Sergeant in the 7th Battalion of the Royal Scots and was seriously injured in the Gretna rail disaster in May 1915 when the battalion was on the way to Liverpool to board the troopship to take them to Gallipoli.

The church next door would be a great place to hold jumble sales in. I'm surprised someone has not thought of this before?

'welcome to hell. Don't damage the flowers'

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    ARCHITRAVE????? WOOOOO!!!!!!!
    If you have a problem with architraves we could have a nice pediment instead with lots of carved Jarko Wisses on it.