hibs.net Messageboard

Freezing food...some questions.

1. I bought this lovely big pork joint in the bargain bin section a while ago and stuck it in the freezer. I just remembered I had it today, brought it out and it was put in six weeks ago. The label on the joint said "freeze and use within one month" so I binned it.
    However, I also looked at the instructions for my freezer and they said I could keep things like that for three months if it's stored in the upper compartment...which it was. Someone is telling porkies.
    Nearly everything I buy has this "one month" rule. Is this for health and safety reasons and is the company simply covering themselves? Should I just ignore that from now on and go by what the freezer instructions say?

2. I bought some sausages today and stuck them in the freezer. The best before date on the packet is one week away. If I was to take them out and defrost them in one months time what state will they be in? Will I have to eat them straight away or will they have been suspended in the state I put them into the freezer...i.e. I could let them sit in the fridge for a while before I eat them?

Maybe some strange questions but I don't want to die for the sake of saving a few quid on a pack of sausages.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. I bought this lovely big pork joint in the bargain bin section a while ago and stuck it in the freezer. I just remembered I had it today, brought it out and it was put in six weeks ago. The label on the joint said "freeze and use within one month" so I binned it.
    However, I also looked at the instructions for my freezer and they said I could keep things like that for three months if it's stored in the upper compartment...which it was. Someone is telling porkies.
    Nearly everything I buy has this "one month" rule. Is this for health and safety reasons and is the company simply covering themselves? Should I just ignore that from now on and go by what the freezer instructions say?

2. I bought some sausages today and stuck them in the freezer. The best before date on the packet is one week away. If I was to take them out and defrost them in one months time what state will they be in? Will I have to eat them straight away or will they have been suspended in the state I put them into the freezer...i.e. I could let them sit in the fridge for a while before I eat them?

Maybe some strange questions but I don't want to die for the sake of saving a few quid on a pack of sausages.

1. I'm no expert, BUT I'm pretty sure you'd have been fine. I have over-stored just about everything I've ever frozen (and often for substantially longer than the given dates). Sometimes, after a LONG time, the quality degrades (which may be what the guide times are about, rather than safety).

2. Again, no expert, but I believe the advice is NOT to leave stuff hanging about after you have defrosted it. Personally, I have left stuff until the next day IF I've frozen it immediately after buying, and the dates are good. (And if I'm only cooking for myself, I often completely ignore this. I'm more careful about food I give to other people.)

I'm more fastidious about stuff that has been handled, and about certain foods over others.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Point 1 - it would be fine although the quality would decline the longer you freeze it.

Point 2 - as long as its in date when you freeze them there won't be a problem.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"