hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Would You Rather...

What would you rather have? Hibs to draw a big team in Europe and see someone like Juve at ER or a not so famous team who we might have a better chance with?

I wouldn't mind a big draw to be honest the place would be bouncing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would you rather have? Hibs to draw a big team in Europe and see someone like Juve at ER or a not so famous team who we might have a better chance with?

Get to group stages and have a big team in then.

No matter if it s a big or wee team from europe ER will still be jumping. If not we all have to look at ourselves as fans.

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamson85 View Post
    Get to group stages and have a big team in then.

No matter if it s a big or wee team from europe ER will still be jumping. If not we all have to look at ourselves as fans.
    Thats a fair point, hopefully no matter who we get it' packed and jumping.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    i want the easiest route to the group stages please!!

Promising Youngster
    i want to save a big team for when the new stand is finished, will be extra special then. so hopefully easier route to group stages then some big nights at a completed er

Well Hibs will be seeded in the Third Round so will not be able to draw a big club at that stage.

If Hibs progress to the Play-off Round, I would prefer the easiest tie possible so as to get through to the group stages. The nightmare draw would be a technically proficient Eastern European team with no box office appeal such as Dnipro.

So either the weakest team possible or the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Juventus, etc.

Between a rock and a hard place here, big club means big nights home and away with all the excitement that goes with it, also against a bigger club we'd have less expectations about winning and just enjoy the occasion.

Drawing a lesser team would mean we'd have a chance of qualifying but also the chance to balls it up against a so called smaller team, we'd all go home feeling peed off that we've blown our chances once more and Yogi's head would be called for again.

MMmmmm..........what to do eh?

Must learn to read posts in order, the big teams are a no go now we're seeded.
    Last edited by J-C; 20-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A weaker team might give us a chance to progress, and a bigger side would probably result in an early exit. We could of course get beaten by the weaker side, but the experience would be vital for some of the players, especially if we qualify again next season. So the more games the better for me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I was thinking that I'd like a holiday as well as a football match. So looking at some of the prospective unseeded teams we could draw, Apoel Nicosia sounded good. Looking around you can't get to Cyprus for less than £500, so I have revised my wishes to 'somewhere cheap to get to'

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Put it this way, we could have FC Cannekickabaw, FC Pinkhoof or Lapland FC for all I care.

The further we get, the better. I don't care how we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    The nightmare draw would be a technically proficient Eastern European team with no box office appeal such as Dnipro.
    I think anyone who made the trek to Ukraine would beg to differ!

Blog Entries
    hard one...as being a Hibbie i want it all...want group stages for the cash / profile / great nights at ER

but if we are not going to make that and go out with a wimper against a steelworks staff team

Would rather have the glory......Liverpool for Me (or big German team at German telly pays big bucks)

would love rodders to be negotiating a deal with Ch 5 if we were to get any distance

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I think anyone who made the trek to Ukraine would beg to differ!
    Liverpool please!!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    i dont care how we do it but to ensure that scotland picks up more euro points we need to get through to the group stages. and motherwell and dundee utd need to do well as well. Cause the weggies aint doing there bit these days

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    i want the easiest route to the group stages please!!
    What that man said.

We've got no chance of getting through to the group stages, its harder now than it was when Aberdeen done it.

Better just getting a big team and going out looking respectable!

I hope we get the easiest draw possible in every single round that we play in.

Whilst it might be nice to see the likes of Fernando Torres and Carlos Tevez at Easter Road, if we're being honest about things, it could get quite embarrassing, especially when the game would probably be on live TV.

When garbage like Aberdeen and Hearts have made the group sections, we have to be thinking in these terms rather than just a few days out. Let's do over some weaker team, then get through against a semi-decent side, into the sections. It's not outwith the bounds of possibility.

Don't get the Sky-drenched sorts who say 'it would be great to play Liverpool.' That would probably be the worst draw I could think off. Going to a dull north of England depressed town to play a club in decline (Torres will probably be long gone by then) surrounded by up-themselves-minger supporters, and probably still losing. It would be just like going to Ibrox and Parkhead in terms of glamour.

A Finnish side first, followed by a tough but winnable tie against some med or east European opposition, followed by a group full of Spanish, French, Italian or even German clubs would do me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    When garbage like Aberdeen and Hearts have made the group sections, we have to be thinking in these terms rather than just a few days out. Let's do over some weaker team, then get through against a semi-decent side, into the sections. It's not outwith the bounds of possibility.

Don't get the Sky-drenched sorts who say 'it would be great to play Liverpool.' That would probably be the worst draw I could think off. Going to a dull north of England depressed town to play a club in decline (Torres will probably be long gone by then) surrounded by up-themselves-minger supporters, and probably still losing. It would be just like going to Ibrox and Parkhead in terms of glamour.

A Finnish side first, followed by a tough but winnable tie against some med or east European opposition, followed by a group full of Spanish, French, Italian or even German clubs would do me fine.
    annfeild the equivalent of going to ibrox

we wont make the group stages. we might make the play off round but we wont be seeded so we will be up against a team coming out of the champions league or a good side from the previous round. it was much easier to reach the group stages of the uefa cup, its far harder to reach the groups of europa league.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeedonald View Post
    annfeild the equivalent of going to ibrox

annfield2.jpg

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd like the losing finalists of 2009–10 Campionato Sammarinese di Calcio, please.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I'd like to get the easiest teams possible in 3rd and 4th rounds.

If we made the Group Stages i'd take anyone it wouldn't bother me.

someone in the north of spain as that's where I'm going on holiday at the time

@hibs.net private member
    A nice easy (as possible) path to the group stages would be my choice - once in the groups there's bound to be some glamour opposition in there - I'd happilly wait that long.

would bounce twice as much in the group stages.

Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    I'd like to get the easiest teams possible in 3rd and 4th rounds.

If we made the Group Stages i'd take anyone it wouldn't bother me.

The big European nights people remember were in September or October . This year we`re talking about games in July or August when many Hibs fans have other things on their minds ( holidays , other sports etc ) and opposition will either be unglamorous but in middle of their season ( Scandinavian teams for example ) or even earlier in their pre season training and missing internationalists ( cases of English and Spanish sides for example ) . Not sure likes of Liverpool will be that motivated by Europa League ( until semis it`s like Scotland`s League Cup - a nuisance for clubs who want to be in Champions L ) . So I doubt ER will be rocking till group stages if we make it though group matches never have excitement of knock out rounds . Still got to be better than pre season friendlies though .

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Put it this way, we could have FC Cannekickabaw, FC Pinkhoof or Lapland FC for all I care.

The further we get, the better. I don't care how we get there.
    Sadly this cant happen. Apparently Hearts did not quailfy for Europe this season. I know unbelievable, check the league table if you dont believe me. How the mighty have fallen since their Champions League win two seasons ago.

Hibs seeded

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    The big European nights people remember were in September or October . This year we`re talking about games in July or August when many Hibs fans have other things on their minds ( holidays , other sports etc ) and opposition will either be unglamorous but in middle of their season ( Scandinavian teams for example ) or even earlier in their pre season training and missing internationalists ( cases of English and Spanish sides for example ) . Not sure likes of Liverpool will be that motivated by Europa League ( until semis it`s like Scotland`s League Cup - a nuisance for clubs who want to be in Champions L ) . So I doubt ER will be rocking till group stages if we make it though group matches never have excitement of knock out rounds . Still got to be better than pre season friendlies though .
    According to this mornings paper Hibs will be the last seed, because of the result of the spanish cup final hibs sneak in on a higher co-efficient than a norwegian outfit. The seedings and co-efficients to be confirmed in two weeks time.
    This gives us a greater chance of reaching the lucrative group (plenty away days) stage. It may also mean Yogi has to man up to cope with europe and the domestic scene, possibly more signings or different signings, eg; older more experienced versatile types.

Easiest route to the group stages please!