hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

How much trouble are the Huns in?

NOTW reporting that Rangers owe the taxman £24m but are appealing this amount and if they lose could rise to £54m. This is only the taxman. Bear in mind they owe the bank £30m and, it has been suggested, they are into Murray International for £100m.

Dont know what the outcome of all this will be but if they can avoid this debt by going into administration then it is a pretty poor show and I'm pretty sure that this is would be an abuse, in spirit at least, of the administation legislation.

2. Log in to remove the advert

would 10 spl points be deducted for next season?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    would 10 spl points be deducted for next season?
    Seems a bit like getting off the hook to me. Hardly going to hurt them really is it. Lose (potentially) over £150m and get a 10 point deduction? £15m a point? Seems like a good deal to me but the whole issue would then be why would anybody pay their bills? Lets spend £100m trying to win the league and if it dosent work we go into administration in a couple of years and carry on as we are now. Lets try it......

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post
    NOTW reporting that Rangers owe the taxman £24m but are appealing this amount and if they lose could rise to £54m. This is only the taxman. Bear in mind they owe the bank £30m and, it has been suggested, they are into Murray International for £100m.

Dont know what the outcome of all this will be but if they can avoid this debt by going into administration then it is a pretty poor show and I'm pretty sure that this is would be an abuse, in spirit at least, of the administation legislation.
    I hadn't realised it was so bad - administration does look likely from that.

It isn't abuse though, even if they get away with a points deduction (or whatever the slap in the wrist is in Scotland these days), that's just what administration is.

There could well be a couple of consortiums in line to buy the club from the receiver so you'd reckon the taxman and the bank wont be too hard hit - different story for ordinary creditors though.

How delicious it would be if the hun went to the wall. The club (such as it is, it's not a proper football club in the same sense that even Hearts is) would survive but I think any further decrease in the quality of the product we be all the excuse tens of thousands of the 'loyal' need to call it a day and we could have 8,000 in Ibrox (again).

Sweet.

throwr them out of europe just like portsmouth.

then relegate them to the 3rd division like gretna & livingston.

then see how "loyal" the fans are

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Absolutely nae sympathy, in fact, absolute joy - all the "lesser" clubs in Scotland have to pay their taxes proportionate to their income. The income is the key to it, You have to have earned the money to pay tax on it so what have they done with the tax part? Most businesses set it aside.

what separates this financially and morally bankrupt shower, from reality is their arrogance in believing it would all go away (recognise a pattern here?) or that because of who they were the debts would never be allowed to come home to roost.

There probably are certain institutions who, for their own reasons would never want to upset the Huns, but it seems like Her Majestys Revenue and Customs ain't one of them, and its such a shame because they pledge their loyalty every week and sing some nice songs about her.

Come on You Maj - you know it makes sense - get our money in.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabit View Post
    I hadn't realised it was so bad - administration does look likely from that.

It isn't abuse though, even if they get away with a points deduction (or whatever the slap in the wrist is in Scotland these days), that's just what administration is.

There could well be a couple of consortiums in line to buy the club from the receiver so you'd reckon the taxman and the bank wont be too hard hit - different story for ordinary creditors though.
    I would beg to differ over administration crabit. The point of going into administration is to protect a company from it's creditors at a time of poor cash flow, allows the company time to turn things around and get people paid. In football it is used a means of abdicating responsibility for debt and as a way out of gross negligence.

I would beg to differ over administration crabit. The point of going into administration is to protect a company from it's creditors at a time of poor cash flow, allows the company time to turn things around and get people paid. In football it is used a means of abdicating responsibility for debt and as a way out of gross negligence.
    exactly, in football it's cheating. In fact it's worse, it's piling cheating on top of cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

If they have been making off-shore dodgy payments, something that I dont know **** all about tho, well I hope they get the book thrown at the gits

The "establishment" will never allow the Huns to go under.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Realistically speaking, throwing Rangers out of Europe would be detrimental to Scotland. Punish them domestically, not continentally as that's where we get our Euro places from.

Why dont' they amalgamate with Hearts and elect Cameron & Clegg as joint chairmen

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    Realistically speaking, throwing Rangers out of Europe would be detrimental to Scotland. Punish them domestically, not continentally as that's where we get our Euro places from.
    'Realistically speaking', the Scottish co-efficient doesn't benefit from a Champions League group set of results that reads:

P6 W0 D2 L4 F2 A11

The only 'favour' rangers do for Scotland in Europe is giving us game after game of high comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
    'Realistically speaking', the Scottish co-efficient doesn't benefit from a Champions League group set of results that reads:

P6 W0 D2 L4 F2 A11

The only 'favour' rangers do for Scotland in Europe is giving us game after game of high comedy.
    correcto !!

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    If Rangers go into administration they would be kicked out of the the CL would they not, as it breaks one of the competition rules?

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post

P6 W0 D2 L4 F2 A11

But it still does effect our coefficient. I don't suppose you've noticed that the predictions of European places allocated to Scotland for 2011-12 are one Champions League spot (2nd qualifying round) and two Europa League spots, 2nd and 3rd Qualifying Round.

Having Rangers in the Champions League is the best chance we have of improving it. Realistically speaking without green tinted spectacles.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Rangers' debt levels pale into insignificance when compared to Liverpool, Man U or even Barca or Real. As long as they are finding the money to keep trading and keep paying bills, the chance of official administration is unlikely. What is more likely though is self imposed cost-cutting measures and that will go as far as not paying over the odds for players. The financial stability of our club is largely boosted by the money we took out of them for Brown, Thomson etc. Those days are over I think. We may all benefit then, by getting our wish that, when we still accept that we won't stand in the way of players' bettering themselves, we are never too comfy when they flit along the M8 to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Absolutely nae sympathy, in fact, absolute joy - all the "lesser" clubs in Scotland have to pay their taxes proportionate to their income. The income is the key to it, You have to have earned the money to pay tax on it so what have they done with the tax part? Most businesses set it aside.

what separates this financially and morally bankrupt shower, from reality is their arrogance in believing it would all go away (recognise a pattern here?) or that because of who they were the debts would never be allowed to come home to roost.

There probably are certain institutions who, for their own reasons would never want to upset the Huns, but it seems like Her Majestys Revenue and Customs ain't one of them, and its such a shame because they pledge their loyalty every week and sing some nice songs about her.

Come on You Maj - you know it makes sense - get our money in.
    Just a pity it's not the ROYAL Bank of Scotland that they bank with - that would just complete the set.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky View Post
    But it still does effect our coefficient. I don't suppose you've noticed that the predictions of European places allocated to Scotland for 2011-12 are one Champions League spot (2nd qualifying round) and two Europa League spots, 2nd and 3rd Qualifying Round.

Having Rangers in the Champions League is the best chance we have of improving it. Realistically speaking without green tinted spectacles.
    Yes, it affects Scotland's coefficient. Are you arguing that rangers' performances in last season's CL improved the coefficient? I do hope not.

I had noticed Scotlands UEFA allocation. It's so meagre because of the overall failure of Scottish clubs to do something in Europe recently, culminating in the shocking performances last season - from all Scottish representatives.

So you're arguing that rangers need to be in Europe to help the Scottish coefficient. They did so by reaching the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, I grant you, but since then? Last season was excruciating (for them and for Scotland's coefficient - I laughed like a drain throughout most of the games). If you can offer anything to suggest that this coming season's rangers CL campaign is going to be any better than last year, I would love to hear it. If anything, it's going to be worse when their likely-to-be-even-further decimated squad lines up in August.

I say again, Scotland gets nul points for rangers efforts last season and I think Celtic would do a better job to be honest.

Your argument doesn't really make any sense - what am I missing?

they are in very deep doo do. HMRC will not take prisoners with this. a proper Tick Tock...!

If they go into administration there should be a transfer ban placed on them for the next 5 years or until they get it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    they are in very deep doo do. HMRC will not take prisoners with this. a proper Tick Tock...!
    Hearts seem to have come to arrangements with HMRC on a couple of occasions and I would have thought they were much more likely to default. The taxman's job is to get revenue in for the government not to scupper any chances of the debt being repayed.

First Team Breakthrough An Leargaidh's Avatar

Angry The Establishment

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby D View Post
    The "establishment" will never allow the Huns to go under.
    Correct, sad but true.

Just like the Forces Research Unit over the North Channel in the Six Counties, something like Rangers will have strings being worked from way way up the Establishment tree.

When I was a kid I used to wonder what people were on about when they spray painted "****** THE SYSTEM!" on walls. The System will be into full swing to make sure Rangers prevail no matter how bad they've been with their book keeping

First Team Breakthrough An Leargaidh's Avatar

Talking Asda

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliamson85 View Post
    If they go into administration there should be a transfer ban placed on them for the next 5 years or until they get it sorted
    If they go into administration then they should be shut down, the place demolished and turned into an overflow car park for the nearby Asda 24 hour supermarket
    Last edited by An Leargaidh; 16-05-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling mistake, sorry!

Maybe Mad Vlad could buy them...

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

This would get my vote. If it's good enough for Livingston, it should apply to them

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Hearts seem to have come to arrangements with HMRC on a couple of occasions and I would have thought they were much more likely to default. The taxman's job is to get revenue in for the government not to scupper any chances of the debt being repayed.
    Hearts never owed HMRC anywhere near these amounts and it is the nature of the alleged non payment that is the real issue. Lets see the outcome of the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by sahib View Post
    Yep, my thoughts too. It's one of the great mysteries of our time when you think about it, how Hearts still manage to avoid administration.