hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular

anyone remember dougie cromb in 1992

getting on each of the fan buses outside er just about to depart for anderlecht? back in the day air prices were out of the range of most fans. i seem to recall it was 90 to go by bus, 350 by plane.

wonder if rod petrie appreciates how much that meant at the time even if poor dougie was roundly slagged by 'refreshed' fans enroute for a euro adventure.

was it really 18 rs ago...yikes
    Last edited by jockodile; 13-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar

Dougie Cromb

I knew Dougie quite well in those days and was invited in for tea/coffee several times, a real gent.
    Didn't get on our bus tho' we left fi Linlithgow

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also seen him with other board members and Anderlecht officials being, ahem, 'shown round' the red light district in Brussels.

Quote Originally Posted by jockodile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    getting on each of the fan buses outside er just about to depart for anderlecht? back in the day air prices were out of the range of most fans. i seem to recall it was 90 to go by bus, 350 by plane.

wonder if rod petrie appreciates how much that meant at the time even if poor dougie was roundly slagged by 'refreshed' fans enroute for a euro adventure.

You should have tried Sphere Travel, return flights & Brussels Hilton digs for about £190!

@hibs.net private member

My dad knew him fairly well and always speaks highly of him.

First Team Breakthrough sauzee1966's Avatar

Real Gent

This man was a real gent and knew him very well. His wife was Dutch and also a really nice person.
    He always had Hibs at heart and used to own a company called Innes & Cromb

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    My dad knew him fairly well and always speaks highly of him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1966 View Post
    This man was a real gent and knew him very well. His wife was Dutch and also a really nice person.
    He always had Hibs at heart and used to own a company called Innes & Cromb
    His daughter runs the company now, my brother works for them.

First Team Breakthrough sauzee1966's Avatar

Cromb

Is it still owned by the Cromb Family?? import Export if i remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    His daughter runs the company now, my brother works for them.

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    I wrote to Dougie Cromb when I was about 13 expressing concern at the proposed move to Straiton. He wrote a personal letter back (i.e. non-generic) outlining all the issues for the club although stating his desire to remain at Easter Road.

Think he got a bit too close to Alex Miller in the end, but always thought he was a top bloke.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee1966 View Post
    Is it still owned by the Cromb Family?? import Export if i remember right.
    Yeah he does the scottish souveniers and T shirt printing, I'm sure there is more to it than that but thats all I know.

I serve him his lottery tickets nearly every Saturday. Very pleasant man. He must be down on his luck as he puts about £60 on at a time

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    I wrote to Dougie Cromb when I was about 13 expressing concern at the proposed move to Straiton. He wrote a personal letter back (i.e. non-generic) outlining all the issues for the club although stating his desire to remain at Easter Road.

Think he got a bit too close to Alex Miller in the end, but always thought he was a top bloke.

I wrote to him complaining about something back then too and he wrote a presonal letter back inviting me into his office for a face to face chat and a cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by FranckSuzy View Post
    I serve him his lottery tickets nearly every Saturday. Very pleasant man. He must be down on his luck as he puts about £60 on at a time
    I see him most weeks coming in and out of my street. I think he has some business connection who lives near me. Any yes times must be hard, the jag is away and he drives a wee mazda I think or something like that. Still got the DC number plate though.
    Last edited by Removed; 13-05-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Dougie was and still is a true gent but his unstinting support for Alex Miller caused him to be a bit unpopular when Lexo was in about year 8, 9 and 10 of his reign. In conversation with Dougie one day he turned to me and said "You know I don't think it's fair that you call Alex by that awful name" to which I replied "Which one" and he said "Lexo" - I nearly burst out laughing and said "You know what Dougie, that's mild compared to a lot of the names he could be called." He took it all in good part and was never one to bear a grudge.

His daughter, Nicky I think, has the H18S FC reg on her car
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Dougie was and still is a true gent but his unstinting support for Alex Miller caused him to be a bit unpopular when Lexo was in about year 8, 9 and 10 of his reign. In conversation with Dougie one day he turned to me and said "You know I don't think it's fair that you call Alex by that awful name" to which I replied "Which one" and he said "Lexo" - I nearly burst out laughing and said "You know what Dougie, that's mild compared to a lot of the names he could be called." He took it all in good part and was never one to bear a grudge.

His daughter, Nicky I think, has the H18S FC reg on her car
    I always remember an interview with DC during the Hands Off Hibs campaign when he stated that if they won and he was to become chairman, the first thing he would do would be remove the current managemnet team. Of course that never happened. Sure I still have the interview on VHS in the attic.

And to answer the OP, yes I remember DC coming on the buses outside ER to wish us all a safe journey to Belgium AND TO BEHAVE!

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 65bd View Post

I wrote to him complaining about something back then too and he wrote a presonal letter back inviting me into his office for a face to face chat and a cuppa
    I was 13, it would have been wholly inappropriate to be invited into his office. You would have been what, 40 at the time?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    I was 13, it would have been wholly inappropriate to be invited into his office. You would have been what, 40 at the time?
    31 if you've been listening to Fairnie but he spouts a loady pish

I went with my dad but I think I was over the age of consent just

First Team Breakthrough If Only's Avatar
    Before Mr. Cromb took over Hibs Duff and Gray where in charge. They had presumably arranged a tour in Ireland but when Mr Cromb took over he found out that only one game had been confirmed, he reluctantly cancelled the tour as it was to late to organise other opposition. I had booked up flights and travel for myself, my son, my girlfriend at the time and my mate. We decided to still go to Ireland but I wrote a letter to E.R. complaining about the late cancellation. The day after we came back from Ireland I recieved a phone call from Mr.Cromb with an apology, not only that but he asked me what part of the ground I sat in and offered to gve me 3 season tickets as compensation. I can see that happening with Petrie......not. Mr. Cromb a true gent.

Left by mutual consent!
    I too have been in Dougie's office Very informal in those days.

He invited us for a chat when we were thinking of moving seats within the stadium. A more personable chap you couldn't meet.

I was staying in Manchester at the time of the Anderlecht game and flew from there.

Stayed in Bruges and got the train down to Brussels on the day of the game.

Superb support in "The grand Place", and at the match.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    My memory of him is when he wrote an open letter to season ticket holders in the famous five stand branding a section of them morons for reacting to old firm an Hertz fans in the corporate area..

Probably not the wisest thing to call your own season ticket holders, there were quite a few irate fans on the back of this and im pretty sure there was an apology after it

He never got on The IEC outside Le Nip Royale, he would have been eaten!What a bus journey that was

Quote Originally Posted by If Only View Post
    Before Mr. Cromb took over Hibs Duff and Gray where in charge. They had presumably arranged a tour in Ireland but when Mr Cromb took over he found out that only one game had been confirmed, he reluctantly cancelled the tour as it was to late to organise other opposition. I had booked up flights and travel for myself, my son, my girlfriend at the time and my mate. We decided to still go to Ireland but I wrote a letter to E.R. complaining about the late cancellation. The day after we came back from Ireland I recieved a phone call from Mr.Cromb with an apology, not only that but he asked me what part of the ground I sat in and offered to gve me 3 season tickets as compensation. I can see that happening with Petrie......not. Mr. Cromb a true gent.
    Not quite the same thing but when we reached the 2001 Scottih Cup final a mix up at the ticket office meant i didn't get the neccessary application forms, that were issued with all semi final tickets, to go into the ballot for final tickets. I wrote a letter of complaint to the club and received a call from Rod Petrie himself the afternoon they received my letter saying that if i gave him my details he would personally fill out my application forms and ensure i was entered into the ballot. A few weeks later my tickets arrived. For all the bad press he gets that particular incident reflected very well on him IMO.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    I remember having a chat with Dougie (it may have been in the club shop but my mind may be playing tricks on me; was he still in charge with the new north and south stands in place) about Kevin Harper's allegations of racism against Gary MacKay.

Dougie was disappointed that Kevin had gone straight to the press, as if he had come to him Dougie would have instead taken the allegations to the highest level at the SFA.

I was at the Anderlecht home game but far too young to buy tickets etc at the time, however I have heard a story that tickets couldn't be sold by the club on matchday - so to get round that rule Dougie sold them from a shop on Easter Road instead?!

I also wrote to him outlining my concerns over what would have been a disastrous move to Straton. Being a bit older than you, about 21 at the time, I got the invite to discuss the issues in his office. Meeting must have lasted about an hour, still have the letter from him on display in my memorabilia cabinet. I don't think there is any doubt we were proved right, surely there can be nobody who would prefer to be going to watch Hibs at Straiton next season rather than our newly completed home.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    I also wrote to him outlining my concerns over what would have been a disastrous move to Straton. Being a bit older than you, about 21 at the time, I got the invite to discuss the issues in his office. Meeting must have lasted about an hour, still have the letter from him on display in my memorabilia cabinet. I don't think there is any doubt we were proved right, surely there can be nobody who would prefer to be going to watch Hibs at Straiton next season rather than our newly completed home.
    Would have been handy for Costco though

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I was at the Anderlecht home game but far too young to buy tickets etc at the time, however I have heard a story that tickets couldn't be sold by the club on matchday - so to get round that rule Dougie sold them from a shop on Easter Road instead?!
    Don't know about that but the ticket office at that time used to be on Easter Road, where a Polish shop is now just past Sunnyside. Tickets also used to be sold from a shop further up Easter Rd.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southfieldhibby View Post
    He never got on The IEC outside Le Nip Royale, he would have been eaten!What a bus journey that was
    He would have been allowed on if he had brought a carry out!

One Barry Norman

He jumped on our bus to be met with a "one Barry Norman, there's only one....." He did have a passing resemblance.

I also got invited into his office once as I was paying my last instalment of the £100 the club asked supporters to help by donating to the club. Other than my name on some board in the bottom of the Famous Five I never knew what happened to that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    My memory of him is when he wrote an open letter to season ticket holders in the famous five stand branding a section of them morons for reacting to old firm an Hertz fans in the corporate area..

Probably not the wisest thing to call your own season ticket holders, there were quite a few irate fans on the back of this and im pretty sure there was an apology after it
    my mate and I were offered a meeting with him,on that issue. we took up the offer,never changed his mind on kicking the "corporstes" out at the time though but he was an absolate gent,and a Hibby through and through.also joined in the "fun" in a cafe' in Brussels withe Hibs fans too, left after the first drink,cos he was up early

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post

Aye I can mind getting that letter as well.

It happened after Hibs fans went berserk when a few idiot jambos in the corporate started giving us the v-signs when they scored. We sat above them at the time.

All manner of stuff got chucked at them

I went in for the tea and chat as well after sending him a pretty strongly worded reply He was (and I imagine still is) a good guy to be honest and you could tell how passionate a hibby he was.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nil7 View Post
    He jumped on our bus to be met with a "one Barry Norman, there's only one....." He did have a passing resemblance.

Think your getting mixed up with Dennis Norden?

Can remember going to an early Club 86 meeting in the old stand one night and Dougie Cromb had the place thick with smoke as he ploughed through a considerable amount of cigarettes during the meeting in these pre health conscious legislation days