hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Promising Youngster Biff Tannen's Avatar

How Did You Become A Hibby??

Was wondering how you became a Hibs fan if you werent brought in to the world through a Hibs supporting family??

I'm a Hibs fan cause my old man made me one from the second i was born (Cheers Faither!) but i'm interested in other peoples storys, sure theres a few good ones!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    My great-uncle played for Hibs in the 1920s, and prior to that, as my family had emigrated from Ireland it was de rigeur to support Hibernians.

My first game was coincidentally Tommy Burns' last game as a player for Kilmarnock. (0-0). My dad had been attending Hibs games since he moved back up to Edinburgh from near Liverpool, and passed the torch on to me in 1994.

My dad's often said that if I'd decided to support Celtic or Hearts or any other inferior team that he'd take me to see them. But being realistic, there was no way I was ever going to support anyone other than Hibs.

It was a calling

Just like when the Minister or the Priest heard God.......I heard Hibs

Same, brainwashed by the old man. Apparently I had a (very brief) little wobble when I was a nipper and claimed I was a Rangers fan with John Brown being my favourite player (WTF!!??), but everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Think it was a very short lived glory hunting phase as I had never experienced what glory was with Hibs! Didnt rate it, so came back to the good guys about a week later!!

Never regretted the decision.......................

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I got bit by one. Every full moon I get this urge to go to gorgie and cause havoc.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    My uncle John used to drive the team and club buses during the sixties, would take me and my wee cous along with him to most of the games. I was hooked from day one. Cheers uncle John R.I.P.:notworthy:

Quote Originally Posted by hibeemikey21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same, brainwashed by the old man. Apparently I had a (very brief) little wobble when I was a nipper and claimed I was a Rangers fan with John Brown being my favourite player (WTF!!??), but everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Think it was a very short lived glory hunting phase as I had never experienced what glory was with Hibs! Didnt rate it, so came back to the good guys about a week later!!

Never regretted the decision.......................

had the same skeleton in my cupboard,feel awrite now though

First Team Regular steviecarnie's Avatar
    old man born and bred in leith, I was born in livingston and was shipped down to dunstable (just outside milton keynes) till i was 3ish, first trip to easter road was when the team brought the skol cup back to parade at the ground, was taken into the old main stand and i was still so small and light the seat flipped up and i got stuck.

First match i think was anderlecht but it coulda been before then. but im not sure.

First Team Regular OstKurve Hibs's Avatar
    As soon as i was born i was a hibby, leith born and old man also leith born so no contest. I moved to auchterarder (ootside perth) when i was 11 and done the tour of my new school in a hibs shirt, was funny as f cos all the other bairns were lookin at me like i was some kind of alien! Gloryhuntin bassas!!! not the 1st game i went to but 1st i remember was a game at e.r n we beat partick thistle 5-1. When i was about 5 yr old i remember greetin cos my old man only had 1 ticket for the skol cup final n i walked him tae the bus he says he looked out the window i was standin bubblin, he still feels **** till this day

My grandad's stories about the Famous Five always had me engrossed; that and being born & bred 5 mins fron the stadium (Craigentinny).

I grew up in Meadowfield/ Northfield so it was natural really. My dad took me to my first game in the late 60s. I'm sure we won 3 or 4-0.

EZ
    Last edited by eezyrider; 13-05-2010 at 05:42 AM.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I was born

My Dad took me to my first game around 1967, a friendly against Gornik, we lost 2-1, Peter Cormack scored for Hibs, but the moment I came over the top of big terracing and looked down at the pitch with the floodlights on, I was hooked, that and the fact that my Dad was a diehard Hibby all his life and would had already spoken endlessly about the Famous Five etc. My son is now a season ticket holder, and I know he feels the same way about this club, truly, it's in the blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was wondering how you became a Hibs fan if you werent brought in to the world through a Hibs supporting family??

I'm a Hibs fan cause my old man made me one from the second i was born (Cheers Faither!) but i'm interested in other peoples storys, sure theres a few good ones!
    in 1978 my brother and a few of his pals were going to a hibs v dundee united game and wee brother was asked if he wanted to go and i did,thats how i became a hibby.
    my dad is a lifelong jambo as is my oldest brother and my mothers side are all rangers.
    dont regret one second,had some fantastic days following hibs

GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough creebo1875's Avatar
    My old man couldnt care less about football but for some reason he liked Hibs, so i followed suit. There was a period though when he decided celtic were his team, and once again i followed but that was due to Henrik Larssons dread locks and soon as he left i jumped ship and swam back to the Hibees.

A period in my life if i could go back in time and change i would.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    I was taken by my dads mate to Glasgow to watch Celtic. I was blown away by the atmosphere but became less enthusiastic about Celtic when i got older. I couldn't be bothered with the traveling. I stopped going but missed the excitement of match day and was yearning to go and watch football again. I thought about going to watch another club and watching Hearts had crossed my mind as it was the closest geographically to where i stay, in Livingston.

My younger brother and his mates were going through to watch Hibs though and i started going along with them for something to do and never looked back after that!

I have no real ties what so ever to Leith or Edinburgh for that matter but i felt more at home watching Hibs as it seemed a more worthwhile cause and felt more like an extended family. I used to go and bump into neighbors, workmates etc that i never even knew were Hibbies!

On a final note - i was talking to my dad just last week about Pat Stanton coming to Livi for the book signing and asked him if he saw Pat playing. My dad said he never but he told me my late uncle John, whom i have a middle name after, would regularly drive up from England to watch the Hibs on the old East terrace! Something i was not aware of before!

First Team Breakthrough Number69's Avatar
    **** allto do wi my old man,he's a blue nose bassa.

8 years old at primary school in Perth I was a bit of a loan shark and someone borrowed 50p which was a fair bit o money to an 8 year old in 1990. Long story short i had to go chappin doors and the boy couldnt pay up but ha dthis "football" top Icould have as payment.WellI was a shrude businessman, 50p....or a football top worth alot more??

Oh yes Eck the Hibee was born!

I was born into a Hibs supporting family BUT.... That yam fud Gary MacKay tried to turn me into a Jambo. My mum was best friends with his ex-wife (Who passed away last week. R.I.P) and my brother was also at school with his youngest son Ryan. He brought me a Hearts Strip to wear once and apparently I just looked at it in complete confusion and refused to wear it

My blood will allways be Green and White:notworthy:

I also have to say a big thanks to my brother who posts on here, Renato. For taking me to my first game and since then welll, started a rollercoaster of love!!
    Last edited by Teo10; 13-05-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Whole of my Mums (big) family were die hards, Dad wasn't interested in fitba i'm a born and bred Leither and stll live in gods country as are both my sons

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    My dad is a Hibby, his dad is a hibby, his dad was a hibby.

I went to my first game when i was that young i cant even remember, and i have had a season ticket ever since i was too big to be lifted over the barrier!

I didn't even know any other option existed until I was about 7 or 8.

Friends of the family - massive Hibs fans - took me along at the age of 4/5 and that was that. There was never any "choice" or "competition" for me - I supported Hibs by default - the notion of supporting anyone else was completely alien to me

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It goes like this...................first came to Edinburgh in 1990 and was taken to Tynie for game against Dunfermline (I think). I still had my Lpool season ticket at the time and couldn't believe what a dump of a ground tynie was compared to the English grounds I had been to (and that Hertz could be so ******). Anyway on another visit some weeks later I went to watch the mighty Hibernian and that was that. Moved permanently to Edinburgh in 92 and having given up the Lpool ST I became a Hibs ST holder and the rest is history. My son who is now 16 has followed in my footsteps with a passion for Liverpool FC and of course a ST at ER.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I suppose in the early 70's i just stumbled into it. The old man wasn't relay into football. All the kids i kicked about with were Hibees. I'd occasionally get taken along by somebody's dad and about 73/74 we'd jump on the bus from sunny Muirhouse and go ourselves.

And never looked back since.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

First Team Breakthrough
    I am a Hibby because of my dad

However, he has recently confided in me (he's 83 now) that he was a Rangers supporter up until about the age of 12. Thankfully this changed one day when he was taken to visit relatives who lived in Restalrig. He saw Easter Road, was taken to a game and the rest as they say is history

Thank goodness for these relatives in Restalrig!!

Hibs man 'cos of my old boy. My wee brother never had much choice either. We moved from Albert Street to Hutchison about 30 years ago, no long after that my wee brother came along.

I remember him coming home from Craiglockhart School one day and saying he wanted to be a Jambo as he was getting picked on at school for being just about the only Hibby there. My old boy asked him if he would rather get a doing in the house or at school (he might have only been joking!) anyway, that idea has never entered his head again since!

Left by mutual consent!
    Hearts play in pink and I was always taught that pink was for poofs..

My dad is a jambo and thankfully couldn't be ersed to take me to the football when I was a kid.

Brought up in Abbeyhill so as soon as I was allowed to cross the main road on my own it was Hibs all the way.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    My entire family are Leithers born and bred..
    My entire family are Hibernian born and bred!

This will continue through the generations..

In the summer of 1964 (Just turned 5) my father & uncle took my big sister & I along to the PBS to watch Hearts & Hibs (at the time I had know idea who was who).
    And all I can recall from that day was, it was Sunny and was amazed to see this big green carpet, and when both teams came out, both my father & uncle asked who I wanted to win, and all I said was "The Team in Green & White" only because the strip matched the color of the pitch and the hearts looked dull .
    Just as well I said that, because unknown to me at the time, we were a Hibby family
    Looking back now, I would hate to think what would have happened to me if I said the hearts....probably been left behind and disowned

The only dark side I have is, I had a 4 week trial for Hearts before singing for Rangers as a schoolboy ( I guess I was not Hibs Class ) But don't worry I did not last long, as I broke my ankle in 2 places and was released (there must be a god )

MY old man is a hibby , my Grandad was Hibby and my great Grandad was a hibby when he came over fae the Ross Common in the famine. Guess The good lord was looking after us.