hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Collins

John Collins

Does anyone think that we should offer him his job back? Do you think he would take it?

I am sure he would be more tactically astute and given the money yogi has been given, improve things dramatically.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough francobaresi's Avatar
    No, he left us... Let's move forwards not backwards...

GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Would actually like to see him as our Director of Youth Development, as I think dealing with and developing young talent may be his coaching forte. With a clear remit and support from the Board, I am sure that he could turn round the whole football culture at ER, in terms of technique, tactical awareness, lifestyle issues for professional athletes and general strength and conditioning. As he maximised his own talent, he could push young players to maximise theirs and Hibs would benefit hugely.

However, I would guess that his ambitions lie in getting a senior coaching position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone think that we should offer him his job back? Do you think he would take it?

I am sure he would be more tactically astute and given the money yogi has been given, improve things dramatically.
    Having a giraffe.

Spent and wasted more money than most Hibs managers during the time I've followed...

First Team Breakthrough francobaresi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    Would actually like to see him as our Director of Youth Development, as I think dealing with and developing young talent may be his coaching forte. With a clear remit and support from the Board, I am sure that he could turn round the whole football culture at ER, in terms of technique, tactical awareness, lifestyle issues for professional athletes and general strength and conditioning. As he maximised his own talent, he could push young players to maximise theirs and Hibs would benefit hugely.

However, I would guess that his ambitions lie in getting a senior coaching position.
    Good post, agree his ambitions lie elsewhere but undoubtedly we need someone to change the culture at Easter Road...

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs On Tour View Post
    Having a giraffe.

Spent and wasted more money than most Hibs managers during the time I've followed...
    I don't get this fanfare about John Collins. Aye he won us a trophy for which i'm forever grateful but things went downhill fast.

Some of his signings were rank rotten and we were on an absolutely shocking run playing some awful football when he jumped ship.

A big no from me.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Nah, i'm not saying he was a bad manager but i think he pretty much won us the CIS Cup with Mowbray's team.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    I like JC but in my opinion he had a terrible eye for a player and collectively made the worst signings I've seen since the Duffy era.

He wouldn't come back though.

Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    Nah, i'm not saying he was a bad manager but i think he pretty much won us the CIS Cup with Mowbray's team.
    Ah, that old chestnut again.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Ah, that old chestnut again.
    Just my opinion, who was in the CIS Cup winning team that wasn't in Mowbray's team? I can only think of Andy McNeil.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    NO

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Just my opinion, who was in the CIS Cup winning team that wasn't in Mowbray's team? I can only think of Andy McNeil.
    Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team, so not sure I understand what the point of this argument is.

I'd take Collins back in a heartbeat. Can't defend most, if not all of his signings, bit I firmly believe overall he would progress us as a club, and the attitude of Scottish footballers, even if it proved to be in spite of his signings.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar

Maybe he would get Rob Jones to come back tae?

Don't think that we need Collins. Any fitness guru who can get the players up to speed for ninety minutes would do. Of course it would have to be done without offending any of the poor souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    Don't think that we need Collins. Any fitness guru who can get the players up to speed for ninety minutes would do. Of course it would have to be done without offending any of the poor souls.
    I agree, whether his signings or tactics were any good is a matter of opinion but he did know the discipline and lifestyle that it takes to be a top athlete (footballer in this case), sadly too many players (who will never play at the level he played at, so he does know what he is talking about there) couldn't or wouldn't take it on board.

Their loss is/was our loss as this team has nowhere near the fitness levels of JC's team.

Collins with the right management team around him, yes please, but leave Tommy Craig in Belgium or wherever he is...

Who did Collins sign when he was the manager?

Maka?

Who else?

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    You must have a short memory

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Yes, and Yes, but I think Yogi has to be given some time to sort things out.

If and when Yogi goes though, I'd take John Collins back in a heartbeat.

With the right backing from the Club and the players JC could have taken Hibs onto the next level. Unfortunately he got the backing of neither and he had no choice but leave the Club in the end.

Not to say that JC didn't get things wrong on the man-management side, he certainly did, but for me the players were a bunch of fragile, unprofessional, pansies who only cared about when their next trip to the pub was coming around.

The same fragile mentality remains at the Club today unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    On a slightly unrelated note, I think Collins was linked with Gow and Smith at one point.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Yes, and Yes, but I think Yogi has to be given some time to sort things out.

If and when Yogi goes though, I'd take John Collins back in a heartbeat.

With the right backing from the Club and the players JC could have taken Hibs onto the next level. Unfortunately he got the backing of neither and he had no choice but leave the Club in the end.

Not to say that JC didn't get things wrong on the man-management side, he certainly did, but for me the players were a bunch of fragile, unprofessional, pansies who only cared about when their next trip to the pub was coming around.

The same fragile mentality remains at the Club today unfortunately.
    The players he brought in were gash!

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    The players he brought in were gash!
    Don't disagree but reflective of the money he had to spend IMO. Yogi has had more financial backing from the Club and has brought in better players albeit not in the positions we need most - defence.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Don't disagree but reflective of the money he had to spend IMO. Yogi has had more financial backing from the Club and has brought in better players albeit not in the positions we need most - defence.
    I reckon JC was able to offer wages on a par with what Mixu and Yogi have had to play with, but he failed miserably on the free transfer market IMO.

I think he opted for players who subscribed to his work ethic, regardless of whether they were any good at football.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Said Frank View Post
    Mowbray couldn't win a cup with Mowbray's team, so not sure I understand what the point of this argument is.

I'd take Collins back in a heartbeat. Can't defend most, if not all of his signings, bit I firmly believe overall he would progress us as a club, and the attitude of Scottish footballers, even if it proved to be in spite of his signings.

Spot on mate...especially the bit in bold/underlined.

John Collins talked the talk and attempted to walk the walk and rather than only talking, ended up being stabbed in the back by his colleagues, when he wasnt around to give his side of the story.

There is no DOUBT he was/is an arrogant man and his people skills were probably lacking BUT, everything he done was done for the right reasons and short of some ropey signings, he generally done well. And bagged a cup and most importantly, introduced SPINE into the team.................something nobody has done since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post

Spot on mate...especially the bit in bold/underlined.

John Collins talked the talk and attempted to walk the walk and rather than only talking, ended up being stabbed in the back by his colleagues, when he wasnt around to give his side of the story.

There is no DOUBT he was/is an arrogant man and his people skills were probably lacking BUT, everything he done was done for the right reasons and short of some ropey signings, he generally done well. And bagged a cup and most importantly, introduced SPINE into the team.................something nobody has done since.

Good post BM. IMHO the rot set in the moment JC walked out the door

Can we please end these weekly John Collins threads?

The guy was a useless manager, a bottler and a total fantasist.

It's been fascinating to watch his career blossom since he left us.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Who did Collins sign when he was the manager?

Maka?

Who else?

Off the top of my head...

Thierry Gathuessi
    Brian Kerr
    Alan O'Brien
    Thomas Sowumni
    Mickaël Antoine Curier
    Fillipe Morais
    Clayton Donaldson

Feel ill. Away for a lie down now...

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post
    That is nonsense , I went to the Livingston V Hibs pre-season game and was horrified with the quality of player he brought in. I knew we would struggle that year and it was then left to Mixu to pick up the pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by khib70 View Post
    I suppose the winless run prior to his departure was a coincedence then?

Whilst i don't deny JC attempted to bring about a more professional, progressive attitude around ER, the fact is we were really poor for long spells under him. McCann at CH at Pittodrie was mind boggling. The whole performance that day was one of the worst from a Hibs team that i can remeber. It seems there are a few rose tinted specs on regarding Collins considering there were growing calls for him to be sacked in the weeks before he made the decision himself.

if this is a thread for silly suggestions....

why dont we just erect a statue of tommy craig outside ER with a silver plaque which reads ''Hibernians greatest ever human being - FACT''

what is it with digging up old managers (who failed!!!!) and saying he would do a job for us

collins was rank and was immediately found out when he started to develop his own team - which you could argue we were still suffering from throught the mixu/yogi days

he has a good 6 pack allegedly - but thats it