hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Months, Yogi

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

3 Months, Yogi

I don't know what's gone so badly wrong at Easter Road since the turn of the year, but if we don't see significant signs of progress by the end of October, I think it will time for Rod to let Yogi go.

I genuinely do believe that every manager should be given a decent amount of time to build his own team and I'm sure many will argue that October doesn't offer that, but if we continue to perform as we have in 2010, we'll be relegation candidates and that's a step too far in the wrong direction.

If we get a few good and appropriate signings in over the summer, I think that with the completed stadium and the wider pitch, we could be in for some exciting times next season.

However, if we have a poor start to the campaign, we'll be on a downward spiral that only a change in manager will be able address.

I do like Yogi's passion for the Hibs job, I agree with his general views on the game and I do hope he's a great success, but he needs to start getting it right very soon.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Since the turn of the year our record is abysmal:

P19 W5 D3 L11 - 18 points

Losing 6 on the bounce is unacceptable.

However I think we have to give Yogi a decent chance to turn it around, continually changing manager will get us nowhere - sacking him now is a bad idea and 3 months of next season probably isn't long enough unless we are rock bottom.

If he gets it badly wrong after next season then its probably time for a change. Football is a results business and results have been bad, however what is worrying is the lack of anything promising recently.

I also think if Yogi doesn't work out we need to look at who is appointing the managers as they too must take some of the blame.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Yogi could really do himself a favour by coming out and telling it like it is instead of, as admirable as it is, almost defending his players on a weekly basis.

If he came out and told us exactly what we can see, imo he'd buy himself a helluva lot of time.

His bizarre post-match interviews are only adding fuel to the fiery suggestion that he's effin' clueless.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by HoboCop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yogi could really do himself a favour by coming out and telling it like it is instead of, as admirable as it is, almost defending his players on a weekly basis.

If he came out and told us exactly what we can see, imo he'd buy himself a helluva lot of time.

His bizarre post-match interviews are only adding fuel to the fiery suggestion that he's effin' clueless.
    Unfortunately, coming out and telling it llike it is results in alienating the players who have too much power these days and making it harder to sell damaged goods.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Unfortunately, coming out and telling it llike it is results in alienating the players who have too much power these days and making it harder to sell damaged goods.
    As much as we dont like it, managers will always protect his players, he does not want to have a go in public, what good would that do?

Yesterday's loss was nothing to do with the managers tactics, or formation. It was clearly down to individual errors. We dont have enough good players, whatever formation we put out. And yesterday showed us, we are every bit as good as the yams, even with a side thats short of its better players, and short of confidence.

I agree with Dave, he needs time to get rid of those who are not up to the job, and he needs to get better players in.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    As much as we dont like it, managers will always protect his players, he does not want to have a go in public, what good would that do?

Yesterday's loss was nothing to do with the managers tactics, or formation. It was clearly down to individual errors. We dont have enough good players, whatever formation we put out. And yesterday showed us, we are every bit as good as the yams, even with a side thats short of its better players, and short of confidence.

I agree with Dave, he needs time to get rid of those who are not up to the job, and he needs to get better players in.
    He's already had the chance to bring better players in and there has not been one ounce of improvement since last season. Hughes will, rightly, carry the can.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    He's already had the chance to bring better players in and there has not been one ounce of improvement since last season. Hughes will, rightly, carry the can.
    I disagree. The players he brought in coupled with what was left, was a team that were challenging for 2nd place in the middle of February. Since then, McBride has been mostly injured. Zemamma the same. Bamba and Miller, our 2 biggest players in terms of quality and form til then, have lost form and or been suspended. Hogg has reverted back to his usual form, along with Nish.

I saw enough in the early season to keep with him, in fact give him another 3 years guaranteed, to see the job through.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboCop View Post

He's indulging in meaningless psycho-babble on a regular basis (eg 'fear of winning')

In both Yogi's post-match interview yesterday and the interview with him in yesterday's Scotsman he mentioned just 'one or two new faces' coming in over the summer. He also made much of continuing to work with the players he's got.

Not a picture of the wholesale changes in the squad that many seem to believe is required.

Left by mutual consent!
    I disagree. The players he brought in coupled with what was left, was a team that were challenging for 2nd place in the middle of February. Since then, McBride has been mostly injured. Zemamma the same. Bamba and Miller, our 2 biggest players in terms of quality and form til then, have lost form and or been suspended. Hogg has reverted back to his usual form, along with Nish.

I saw enough in the early season to keep with him, in fact give him another 3 years guaranteed, to see the job through.
    The situation in February doesn't matter a jot - prizes are given out in May. We are now in the frankly ridiculous position of being on a par with one of the worst Hearts teams of recent decades - that for me is a sure sign that we are going backwards not forwards.

If our form continues as it is into next season then we will be in a relegation dogfight by November. That is too big a risk for Hibs to take and that means that Hughes needs to be replaced asap.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    He's indulging in meaningless psycho-babble on a regular basis (eg 'fear of winning')

In both Yogi's post-match interview yesterday and the interview with him in yesterday's Scotsman he mentioned just 'one or two new faces' coming in over the summer. He also made much of continuing to work with the players he's got.

Not a picture of the wholesale changes in the squad that many seem to believe is required.
    You do realise managers tell lies?

@hibs.net private member
    Never mind 3 months, time for him to go now.

Coaching Staff

I genuinely think John Hughes has a week to save his job. The board have a new stand, new shirt deal, new bums to try and convince to put on seats. People often come out with this football cliche that "managers need more time". It is one of the few sporting industries where the concept of time is neglected in favour of immediate success in response to prolonged failure. Yes it will cost money to remove the management team, but I think given Sol Bamba, Zemmama, Stokes and possibly Riordan are now (in my opinion) well on the shopping/transfer list, I don't think the Board have any fears that they will be able to comfortably bear this financial burden. A massive player clear out is also not really on the cards, not only because there are severance pays to deal with, but some of the players are either not being played, some are decent squad players, and who is to say that with 3 or 4 good additions, cannot be part of a side who play a different style of football. Hibernian does however need a manager who needs to get tough behind the scenes IMO, eradicate a certain culture that has developed, and start to be 100% focused on the game, the result, and not his good relationship with the players, fans and media. He demands his team to rid itself of the "soft" tag, however he IMHO is the main contributor this season for it. If this was La Liga or Le Championnat, playing nice little passing football with time to control, look up and move, would be ideal. But sadly, it's the SPL, and our league means you have to have a blend of grit, fight, desire, no nonsense as well as technical ability, style and football. He manages in this ideal world that everyone plays the same way. That is why fundamentally we have been beaten by teams that bully, chase, harrass, and play with width, pace and braun. Look at hearts first goal yesterday and Rangers last week. Hogg bullied by both Obua and Lafferty, Hanlon turned and bullied by bloody Elliot. The Celtic goals as well........easy balls into the box, not defended, no one willing to literally throw themselves into the mixer. They are all prepared though to stand and watch each other until it is too late. If I were a manager of a fellow SPL team, beating Hibs would be an absolute cake walk. You play with width, and with some pace up top. Most goals scored against us come from crosses into the box or set pieces, not through the middle. Play four in midfield, with at least two with height. You could even get away with playing a 3-5-2 given we don't play with any width or pace whatsoever, so full backs needn't be required. Hibs are one dimensional, play through the middle, and are easy to read. Hughes - has to go IMHO because pundits, fans, ex players and ex managers all say what I see and we all see on here. His persistence at playing players off form, out of position and who are clearly not good enough means he has a stubborness which exceeds Mixu's to be honest. Having five goalkeepers who to be brutally honest, you could pick holes in all of them (perhaps very unkind to Flynn), is frankly ridiculous. Having no natural right back for a whole season is again, in professional management, neglect. Playing certain players totally out of position (Wotherspoon and Riordan) encourages mistakes and lack of confidence, not the other way about. Choosing a captain who should never be in the side let alone given the armband, was his first wrong decision and that was before a ball was kicked. Having only one player (Wotherspoon) from the youth ranks given a chance to shine is again, given the form, unacceptable. If they are good enough for a pro contract and to be on the bench, play them ! I know this will read as a rant, but I have tried to be as constructive as I can - but Hughes for me has proved that he has indeed lost the focus and as such will lose his job. Sad, but true.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Sorry but................bollocks.

I didn't post much last night as I wanted to try and calm down but its no worked I'm still ******* ragin.

Time and again on here I keep reading that he needs "time to sort it out" - "give him a chance to bring in his own players" - "he knows what needs done".

Its utter bollocks - I have seen nothing from Yogi since Christmas that says to me he has the ability to spot our weaknesses and deal with them.

IMO we were good enough to get to 3rd with this squad and indeed obviously we were good enough to achieve it going by his comments at the turn of the year - yet now when things have turned sour "he needs time to get his own players in"

Every man and his dog could see Nish & Miller were struggling but he did nothing

Hogg decides he can continue but he clearly struggles - be a manager for ***** sake

We completely outplayed them for the first 25 minutes of that second half (so much so that we had totally shut their fans up) yet we couldn't score.

Yes we gifted goals but when they equalised - did it occur to JH that he could change things and give THEM something to think about - did he ****.

He was hoping to see it out for the point so did nothing, and thats what we ended up with.

I've been following Hibs long enough to be completely un-surprised at yesterday events however I've also been going long enough to recognise when a manager has clearly not got a ****** clue.

3 months D - I wouldn't give him 3 days.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Sorry but................bollocks.

I didn't post much last night as I wanted to try and calm down but its no worked I'm still ******* ragin.
    we are all hurting, not just you?
    Time and again on here I keep reading that he needs "time to sort it out" - "give him a chance to bring in his own players" - "he knows what needs done".

Its utter bollocks - I have seen nothing from Yogi since Christmas that says to me he has the ability to spot our weaknesses and deal with them.
    More re writing history. Since xmas to the 14th of February, when our bad run started. We won 5, drew 2 and lost 1
    IMO we were good enough to get to 3rd with this squad and indeed obviously we were good enough to achieve it going by his comments at the turn of the year - yet now when things have turned sour "he needs time to get his own players in"
    We were good enough to get 3rd with the 1st eleven players, the squad is crap, NOT GOOD ENOUGH
    Every man and his dog could see Nish & Miller were struggling but he did nothing
    We were controlling the game, imho changes were not needed, he's been slaughtered for changing games recently, when we have been winning, then lost, he cant win with some people.
    Hogg decides he can continue but he clearly struggles - be a manager for ***** sake
    Hogg came back on, he told the manager he was fine, Hogg had nothing to do with the keeper ****ing up the goals, we'd have won if the keeper had 2 hands.
    We completely outplayed them for the first 25 minutes of that second half (so much so that we had totally shut their fans up) yet we couldn't score.
    WTF? What devine right do we have to score? We did in the end, yet a keeper making 2 errors, basic errors cost us the points, not hogg or yogi or miller
    Yes we gifted goals but when they equalised - did it occur to JH that he could change things and give THEM something to think about - did he ****.
    We wre controlling the game, they had a lot to think about, they were getting beat, then enter Smith.
    He was hoping to see it out for the point so did nothing, and thats what we ended up with.
    Again, enter Smith,
    I've been following Hibs long enough to be completely un-surprised at yesterday events however I've also been going long enough to recognise when a manager has clearly not got a ****** clue.
    Your opinion, not mine, and i have been following them as long as you
    3 months D - I wouldn't give him 3 days.
    I'd give him 3 maybe 4 more years, he's the man.:notworthy:

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    2 more games to sort it out. PerformNces have been better top six but unless he converts it into points questions need to be asked.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar

Jeffries gave his players a deserved roasting last week and got a reaction yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Jeffries gave his players a deserved roasting last week and got a reaction yesterday.
    No he never, his team were getting pumped until Smith decided to take control. Whatever Jeffries said to his players, was making no difference whatsoever.

No he never, his team were getting pumped until Smith decided to take control. Whatever Jeffries said to his players, was making no difference whatsoever.
    It's not what he said that made the difference it's what he done.
    It's what Yogi doesn't do that worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    It's not what he said that made the difference it's what he done.
    It's what Yogi doesn't do that worries me.
    What did he do, bribe our keeper?

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Gary to lay the blame for that defeat at Smith's door is IMO ridiculous.

He played a part no doubt about it but to keep blaming our goalkeeping deficiencies is head in the sand stuff worthy of the Hearts fans at their worst.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Gary to lay the blame for that defeat at Smith's door is IMO ridiculous.

He played a part no doubt about it but to keep blaming our goalkeeping deficiencies is head in the sand stuff worthy of the Hearts fans at their worst.
    Again i disagree. We were well in control yesterday, my mate sat next to me said, i cant see hearts scoring today, i agreed. The run we have been on has been poor, nobody can deny this, but the last 3 games we have lost, have all been games we should have taken something from.

And like you, i'm fuming we have lost all 3, but yesterday, 2 individual errors lost us that game imho, not formation, not team selection, and not any substitutions yogi might or might not have made. 2 basic errors, a keeper should not be making.

First Team Breakthrough
    Blackpool Hibs you're getting boring now.

I would guess that the board will be waiting until these two games have gone to see where we are. If we somehow manage to get into Europe I think they will stick with Yogi, but should we fail and God forbid end up in 6th then I think Yogi's postion will untenable and the board will replace him.

The unfortunate thing in all this for me is that Yogi is clearly able to spot and get decent players to ER, but I'm afraid to say he has been unable to get them to produce their good form over a purlonged period.

Watching Mixu's Hibs was bad but this is worse because you can see that most of the players out there have the talent, Yogi just can't get them to use it.

What did he do, bribe our keeper?
    Switched the laddie playing wide right onto the left as Murray gad eventually got to grips with him and brought on the waiter. Our narrow midfield was then stretched on both flanks instead of one. Couple that with our tiring midfield and well you know the rest.
    What dud Yogi do? He brings on a player who is either not match fit or more interested in what stupid hat he is gonna wear that night( maybe both) to pressure them at the back a bit.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Switched the laddie playing wide right onto the left as Murray gad eventually got to grips with him and brought on the waiter. Our narrow midfield was then stretched on both flanks instead of one. Couple that with our tiring midfield and well you know the rest.
    What dud Yogi do? He brings on a player who is either not match fit or more interested in what stupid hat he is gonna wear that night( maybe both) to pressure them at the back a bit.
    I thought Alan Gow was one of their subs. He was certainly good at passing to his fellow Hearts players and breaking up play and tidying up at the back when we attacked

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    The Hearts players showed more will to win. I cannot remember the Hearts keeper having a save to make in the second half so saying we were pumping them is just nonsense.

I was still in Yogi camp till yesterday. I think he's teetering on the verge of losing the dressing room in a way that Mixu never did. His constant berating of players and getting onto shouting matches on the touchline with them is embarrassing and self-defeating. Ironically, I think it's because he wants the best for the club and has great passion for it.

However, I think if he's to continue, he needs to take not just a long good look at the team in the close-season, but also himself, and put this Leith uberfan, one-of-the-boys, playing-to-the-gallery stuff to bed, and simply see it as another job.

It's strange to berate someone for too much passion, but when you compare his behaviour trackside here and Falkirk, its clear this job is infantilising him, and it's effecting his standing with the players. Yes, some of those spineless wage thieves do need a boot up the rspca but there are ways and means of doing it without undermining them, or ultimately, your own authority with the players and the fans.

I still feel he needs more time, but even saying that is now really starting to stick in my throat. The only real difference between Yogi and Mixu is that Mixu could win a derby.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I would like to see a bit more fear about the place both from the players and the manager. Not being feared to win, but more aware of what continually losing will mean. I want to see Hughes tell his players that if we don't pick up points from the last games and finish fourth, he can't be sure that we will kick off next season with him in charge. If they don't respond, then that is as clear a message as you can get. Yogi's body language minds me of a bloke at my work who has been tipped the wink that his job is secure as we go into a period of " down-sizing". We are zipping around like blue ersed flies to make an impression, and he is plodding half-ersed cos he knows he is ok.

Re: 3 Months, Yogi

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs

That is the biggest load of slaver I have read on here in a while

Yesterday's defeat was entirely down to the manager. Mixu usedto blame individual errors and we all laughed at him.

Not only did Hughes NOT have a plan B - he failed to respond to FJK's substitutions and left Hogg on when very clearly he was struggling. Hertz sensed this and kept attacking. Rather than see the game out we sat deep and played hoofball. And lost. Again.

MacDonald didn't have a save tomake 2nd half FFS.

What's perhaps even more worrying though is his insistence on having a running argument with some of his players throughtout the game.

I honestly don't know what the Happy Clappers think is going to happen if we sign 2 or 3 players and empty half a dozen more. He's not suddenly going to become a great tactician or super motivator. That's obvious by now.

I'd give him 3 maybe 4 more years, he's the man.:notworthy:
    You wanted Mixu binned after 6 months but want a manager whose total record is pretty much equal and has taken us on the worst league run in 33 years to be given another 4 years?

Seems reasonable.