hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rankin

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar

Rankin

I know i will probably get slated for this but I actually like Rankin. While I agree that his free kicks and corners are poor I think he has a lot to offer and would like to see him stay at the club. Like I say this is not the general view on him but I think he is a decent player.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know i will probably get slated for this but I actually like Rankin. While I agree that his free kicks and corners are poor I think he has a lot to offer and would like to see him stay at the club. Like I say this is not the general view on him but I think he is a decent player.
    tried liking him,didnae work.he couldnae hit a coo's erse wi' a banjo.

I'm with you DH.

Always had more time for honest grafters who give it their all every week. I appreciate the gifts of the naturally talented, but the ones who waste that God-given gift do my head in.

Say what you want about Rankin, but he gives it 100% every week. To do that he obviously lives his life the right way, he's clearly amongst the fittest in the squad and is strong mentally. Even when he's getting dogs' abuse he never hides from the ball - a quality that's a rarity in the team.

Not convinced he's good enough to take us where we want to be but I'd never ever stoop to giving the guy grief.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    I think Rankin's done very well the last couple of games.

I don't think he's a great player really, however he gives 100% every game, never hides, is always looking for the ball etc. I don't think he's good enough to be a top 6 SPL side midfielder long term, however that opinion will change if he keeps improving like he has this season.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    He's a frustrating player - I'll hold my hands up and admit to inviting him to go elsewhere when he punts it from 35 yards into row Z or puts another corner into the side netting but you can't fault his effort or his professionalism.

Perhaps with the right players alongside/behind/in front of him, he'd look brilliant, but his mentality is something that's sadly lacking in most of the other players it seems.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Every team needs a Rankin. He's worth keeping for a season or three yet.

First Team Breakthrough
    Until ALL Hibs fans agree that players of the calibre of Rankin and his ilk are no good to Hibs if we want to seriously progress and challenge then we will get no where. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are at least another 7 players of Rankin's 'quality' who need to go so that we can move onwards and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeHutch View Post
    Until ALL Hibs fans agree that players of the calibre of Rankin and his ilk are no good to Hibs if we want to seriously progress and challenge then we will get no where. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are at least another 7 players of Rankin's 'quality' who need to go so that we can move onwards and upwards.

Only if the replacements are a combination of ability AND heart.

More often than not we get one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    He's a frustrating player - I'll hold my hands up and admit to inviting him to go elsewhere when he punts it from 35 yards into row Z or puts another corner into the side netting but you can't fault his effort or his professionalism.

Perhaps with the right players alongside/behind/in front of him, he'd look brilliant, but his mentality is something that's sadly lacking in most of the other players it seems.
    the problem being,proffesional footballers are designed to put footballs where they are meant to be put to.

Well said. The man's a footballing genius - don't rubbish The Rank.

First Team Breakthrough steve75's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rowPP
    It amazes me how people think shifting anyone who isn't the standard we're aiming for will instantly benifit the club.

Seems pretty obvious to me becoming a good, consistent team is all about pregression, building season on season. Rankin is currently a first team player, he does a good enough job. Next season We should see better players coming in to improve the side, this is when you clear out all the players who can't get a game for the current team and move some current first teamers to squad players.

If Rankin ups his game he will continue in the side if not over a couple of years him, and others, will slowly be weeded out the club.

But consistently changing more than 4/5 players and a manager every season is why at Hibs we barely have a 'team' and why we are falling into 5th/6th time on time.
    Last edited by steve75; 26-04-2010 at 11:55 PM.

If.MZ.had.of.made.that.flick.to.DW.there.would.e.a .thread.aroud.it.as.it.was.JR.its.missed.

keys.are.****ed!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wright Jnr View Post
    If.MZ.had.of.made.that.flick.to.DW.there.would.e.a .thread.aroud.it.as.it.was.JR.its.missed.

keys.are.****ed!

Don't know who should be "waking up to smell the coffee" here; where are we going to get the money to pay for all these players that are 'top six' or 'Hibs class'? We can't even afford Darren ****in Barr.

He's a key part of arguably the worst midfield in the SPL. I like him cause he always gives 100% unlikely a lot of Hibs players but definitely not good enough.

Left by mutual consent!

He couldn't hold down a starting slot at ICT every week but somehow is deemed good enough to be one of the 1st names on our team sheet week in and week out

What other team in the SPL would he get a game for!?

Nae ****!!

John Rankin is definitely better than Brian Kerr, Ross Chisholm and Jarko Wiss.

So that's good.

how.folk.give.him.a.hard.time.after.that.game.i.do t.get.

YouTube - Nacho Novo Has a Message For Aiden McGeady AGAIN !!!! *CHAMPIONS 2009/10*

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I've never known a player to run about so much yet do **** all. He never touches the ball and when he does he either misplaces the pass or does some daft shot that goes ****ing no where near the goal. He should be on the same bus as nish!!

Rankins main problem for me is that he when he collect a ball, he can be in yards of space, and rather than turn and drive towards the opposition goal he will pass back or across. A simple look around before he collects the ball is all thats needed. His crossing/passing.freekicks generally leave a lot to be desired, of that there can be little arguement.

Application only goes so far, FFS we're applauding players now because they run around the pitch for 90!!!!

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    how.folk.give.him.a.hard.time.after.that.game.i.do t.get.

YouTube - Nacho Novo Has a Message For Aiden McGeady AGAIN !!!! *CHAMPIONS 2009/10*
    you been wanking on your keyboard again

better off with a bollard than Rankin. He's s**te. End of.

lager.spillage=goosed.keys!

Watch.his.Messiesque.performace

I'd love to see a Hibs team that has sixteen guys who contribute more to Hibs performances for a whole season than John Rankin

However, other than The Tornadoes and the McLeish years, I don't think I've seen that mythical Hibs Team

Yogi won't be shoving John out the door any time soon

Get over it

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Yip, "we all dream of a team of John Rankin's" ........NOT!!!

The clue's in the name.

If Rankin is considered to be a good player then we have no ambitions at all.

I kept stats for a game for him they were pretty good. I asked someone else (anybody) to do it for another game and nobody did. I willl do it again but it won't be the derby cis I will be too wound up. I will do it at Fir park. I think you might all be surprised.

Edit- found them in my phone.
    30 of 34 passes found a hibs player. That's over 88%
    6 balls over the top. 1 led to a goal (nish iirc)
    4 crosses (2 terrible)
    2 goal line clearances
    1 shot (on target)
    2 headed passes to a team mate.

Those are not the stats of a terrible player. It doesn't make him world class but it does make him good enough for the SPL.
    Last edited by greenlex; 27-04-2010 at 08:57 AM.

shh.with.yer.facts.

what.game.was.that.

shh.with.yer.facts.

what.game.was.that.
    Cannas mind . One where Nish scored. :)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    If Rankin is considered to be a good player then we have no ambitions at all.
    As always Churchy, your spot on