hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riordan

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9

Riordan

Yogi needs to encourage McCormack, Cregg, Stokes etc to study his performance today as an example of someone actively looking for the ball and not being afraid to gamble, to try and beat his man - and most importantly, if it doesn't come off, to keep going.

Yes, he's inconsistent, but Riordan's still the only player in Scotland who you'd really fancy to cause problems from 40+ yards when he shaped up to shoot in the first half.

The worrying thing at the moment is we have too many players who are genuinely afraid of the ball; the minute they get it the first thing they think of is how quickly they can get rid. Only a handful are prepared to try something different from the easy square pass, even fewer confident enough to drive forward and ask questions. Is it confidence, or are a lot of them simply not good enough?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    a lot of them are just not good enough, mccormack has to be one of the worst defenders ive seen in a long time, rankin isnt anywhere near good enough. Tries hard but no end product. Cregg hasnt played enough but doesnt really look like the type of player i'd want in my midfield. Riordan may not be everyone cup of tea but id have him in my side every single week

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I thought that Deek had his best game for a long time today. He was desperate to score in the second half and some better refereering might have helped him.

How close was the Rangers wall at the free kick near the end ?

Deek and Hanlon where the two best Hibs players today, they are the only positives i took from todays game.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deek and Hanlon where the two best Hibs players today, they are the only positives i took from todays game.
    really?

thought we played well, i took plenty positives from the game today

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seveno View Post
    I thought that Deek had his best game for a long time today. He was desperate to score in the second half and some better refereering might have helped him.

How close was the Rangers wall at the free kick near the end ?
    It was never 10 yeards to begin with and even closer when he took it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There are still some numptys that dont see what Riordan gives to the team. And for the life of me, i cant understand why they want him out, and the team filled with rankins and Creggs.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    There are still some numptys that dont see what Riordan gives to the team. And for the life of me, i cant understand why they want him out, and the team filled with rankins and Creggs.
    because IMO the vast majority of people on here know absolutely hee haw about football

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Riordan needs to move after he has passed the ball and look for a return or create space for someone else. Youngsters should be looking somewhere else for inspiration IMO. Having said that it doesnt make him either a bad player or alone in the team with that trait.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Riordan needs to move after he has passed the ball and look for a return or create space for someone else. Youngsters should be looking somewhere else for inspiration IMO. Having said that it doesnt make him either a bad player or alone in the team with that trait.
    Naw, he just needs better players around him, to let him do what he does best, not tackling the opositions right back at the edge of his own box.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    because IMO the vast majority of people on here know absolutely hee haw about football
    Yip, its getting awfully lonely here at times.

Yes, you are correct. Deeks would look a great deal better if surrounded by better players who understand what he can do and what he doesn't do You will never change him. He must be frustrated himself with some of the dorkiness around him but why oh why does he let wee Rankin take and waste some of the free kicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nuitdelune View Post
    Yes, you are correct. Deeks would look a great deal better if surrounded by better players who understand what he can do and what he doesn't do You will never change him. He must be frustrated himself with some of the dorkiness around him but why oh why does he let wee Rankin take and waste some of the free kicks
    because sometimes it's a better angle for a left footer to take it.

deek is quality, had a great game today and should have had a penalty

Oh I see, I must be one of those who does not know anything about football! Still I hope he cuffs his pal about the lug after the match for wasting them

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    really?

thought we played well, i took plenty positives from the game today
    Very very few for me.
    Poor Rangers team dominated the 1st half and with a bit luck may have been 3 or 4 up at Half time.
    Played a bit better in 2nd Rangers never out of 2nd gear and we could not get a grip of the game Hanlon was good Riordan is the only player who looked like he wanted to score.

McCormack Nish Stokes Cregg Did they play ?

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    The last few times I've watched Deeks he's actually being taking on a player instead of just turning and passing. It's good to see as he had been looking a bit sluggish in the first half of the season.

Other positives from the game:
    Murray put in a decent shift as expected
    Thicot looked solid when he came on
    Rankin had a couple of nice touches
    McBride was decent enough

Thing is, we're meant to be a passing team, but when we're under any pressure whatsoever our ball retention is awful. We had quite a lot of possession throughout the game without ever looking too threatening.
    Last edited by SRHibs; 25-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.

I thought Thicot did well

Oh I see, I must be one of those who does not know anything about football! Still I hope he cuffs his pal about the lug after the match for wasting them
    quite possibly

First Team Regular ForeverHibs93's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xox TopLad xox
    Maybe just me but I thought Benji looked decent when he came on

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez73 View Post
    I thought Thicot did well
    He did fine
    BUT Rangers were not trying a leg at that point and were more than happy with 0 - 1 so you dont know how well he really did

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Slightly off topic here..Why the Hell does Rankin get anywhere near free kicks is truly staggering..And why the fek does he take corners?. only IMO but he offers absolute zero to the team and CONSTANTLY gives the ball away.

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Very very few for me.
    Poor Rangers team dominated the 1st half and with a bit luck may have been 3 or 4 up at Half time.
    Played a bit better in 2nd Rangers never out of 2nd gear and we could not get a grip of the game Hanlon was good Riordan is the only player who looked like he wanted to score.

McCormack Nish Stokes Cregg Did they play ?
    we finally found a midfield, hanlon was class, thicot did well when he came on, mcbride was back playing well, riordan played well and overall we were a completely different side to the pish we've been watching recently.

this 'pish rangers side' is a myth, they've not got many great individuals but they're a very very well organised team with a great team spirit and extremely hard to beat

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Slightly off topic here..Why the Hell does Rankin get anywhere near free kicks is truly staggering..And why the fek does he take corners?. only IMO but he offers absolute zero to the team and CONSTANTLY gives the ball away.

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.
    couldn't agree more

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post

Totally agree.

Back to the original topic, I think Riordan played very well today and realy looks like if he had some half decent service he would run a mock in this league.

Murray, McBride and Thicot were good IMHO

First Team Breakthrough YetholmHibee's Avatar
    I thought Riordan wasted 2 free-kicks today!

Is Riordan exempt from any critism of his poor free-kicks?

I thought Riordan played okay today because Hibs were passing the ball on the ground today & not the high balls - probably because the pitch looked better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by YetholmHibee View Post

I thought Riordan played okay today because Hibs were passing the ball on the ground today & not the high balls - probably because the pitch looked better.
    Wasted one, the ref + cheating huns wasted the 2nd.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I actually thought Deek was our MOTM today. Worked very hard, willing to take on his man, was our most likely source of a goal.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by YetholmHibee View Post

But Rankin wastes EVERY free kick he takes.

As for Deek, thought he played well today. Problem with him at times is he is looking for players moving into spaces that he can see but they can't. If only we moved about more often the chances would come.
    What do they actually do at the multi-million training ground? Play xbox games all day?