hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304

Scottish Football - I'm Done...

Peat Takes over From Smith

All hail, George Peat - chief executive of the SFA.

As if our game wasn't in the doldrums as it is already, this prehistoric neanderthal is now running our game.

My interest in Scottish Football had been waning over the past few years, to the extent that I've only been to 4 football matches this entire season - poor value for money, crap product on the park, corrupt from the highest corridors of the game and 3 governing bodies, creating an abhorent stench of red-tape - the appointment of Peat gives a golden guarantee that the game will not progress under his tenure.

Farcical.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As if our game wasn't in the doldrums as it is already, this prehistoric neanderthal is now running our game.

My interest in Scottish Football had been waning over the past few years, to the extent that I've only been to 4 football matches this entire season - poor value for money, crap product on the park, corrupt from the highest corridors of the game and 3 governing bodies, creating an abhorent stench of red-tape - the appointment of Peat gives a golden guarantee that the game will not progress under his tenure.

Farcical.
    He's only in temporary charge until they find someone to do the job permanently, seems the obvious choice to me so i don't really see the problem TBH

Farcical.
    Dry your eyes mate.

You're going to stop watching Hibs because George Peat is in charge at the SFA on a temporary basis?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    He's only in temporary charge until they find someone to do the job permanently, seems the obvious choice to me so i don't really see the problem TBH

Farcical.
    Red tape shouldn't smell. Or maybe just a wee bit, of adhesive
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wotherspiniesta View Post
    Dry your eyes mate.

You're going to stop watching Hibs because George Peat is in charge at the SFA on a temporary basis?
    Erm, no...

I've made 3 games this season - nothing to do with who's in charge, but because of the state our game is in as a whole - I can think of so many better/more enjoyable ways to piss away £30 each weekend and until the value for money issue of Scottish Football is addressed, I'll continue to feel the same way - as the same personell continue to govern the Hampden offices, that won't change.

Peat has been SFA President for years now and has done absolutely f*** all to improve our game - in fact, if I recall correctly, the first thing he done when he was appointed was made a motion to have the national anthem replaced - wow - how forward thinking. He also lambasted and BLAMED Chris Iwelumo for our absence in South Africa - look a bit closer to home for why our national side is sh*te George - him and his blazer cronies have facilitated the West Coast dominance of our domestic game for years and until we get someone in there who's able (willing?) to buck the status quo, as a product, Scottish Football will continue to rot.
    Last edited by Sylar; 21-04-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Erm, no...

I've made 3 games this season - nothing to do with who's in charge, but because of the state our game is in as a whole - I can think of so many better/more enjoyable ways to piss away £30 each weekend and until the value for money issue of Scottish Football is addressed, I'll continue to feel the same way - as the same personell continue to govern the Hampden offices, that won't change.

Peat has been SFA President for years now and has done absolutely f*** all to improve our game - in fact, if I recall correctly, the first thing he done when he was appointed was made a motion to have the national anthem replaced - wow - how forward thinking. He also lambasted and BLAMED Chris Iwelumo for our absence in South Africa - look a bit closer to home for why our national side is sh*te George - him and his blazer cronies have facilitated the West Coast dominance of our domestic game for years and until we get someone in there who's able (willing?) to buck the status quo, as a product, Scottish Football will continue to rot.
    So who should have got the job on a temporary basis?

i get what your saying about him and the SFA being pish, i just don't really get why your so annoyed at him taking over Smiths role temporarily until we find someone to do the job permanently

Gamer IDs

So who should have got the job on a temporary basis?

i get what your saying about him and the SFA being pish, i just don't really get why your so annoyed at him taking over Smiths role temporarily until we find someone to do the job permanently
    I just feel that with him spear-heading the campaign to bring someone else in, that we're going to see someone who thinks along the same lines as Peat - I'd rather we had someone external (but familiar with Scottish Football and its setup) overseeing the campaign to find a successor for Smith - someone who knows the game but is objective and forward enough thinking to promote change.

Sadly, Peat will want someone who thinks in a similar fashion as him - he's far too invested in the status quo and appeasing the "big boys" to want someone who will facilitate significant change.

Wholesome change is needed & that won't come when the old regime are still overseeing the appointment and governance of new members - I'm aware it's only temporary (fingers crossed anyway) - but his hand will have the ultimate sway in who takes over - it maintains the backward functioning of our game IMO.

I just feel that with him spear-heading the campaign to bring someone else in, that we're going to see someone who thinks along the same lines as Peat - I'd rather we had someone external (but familiar with Scottish Football and its setup) overseeing the campaign to find a successor for Smith.

Sadly, Peat will want someone who thinks in a similar fashion as him - he's far too invested in the status quo and appeasing the "big boys" to want someone who will facilitate significant change.

Wholesome change is needed & that won't come when the old regime are still overseeing the appointment and governance of new members - I'm aware it's only temporary (fingers crossed anyway) - but his hand will have the ultimate sway in who takes over - it maintains the backward functioning of our game IMO.
    fair points.

on a similiar note to that, they mentioned on the news tonight that Henry mcleish is about to publish a report on the state of the scottish football.

I bet thats a massive pile of *****.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    fair points.

on a similiar note to that, they mentioned on the news tonight that Henry mcleish is about to publish a report on the state of the scottish football.

I bet thats a massive pile of *****.
    as far as i can tell he's highly critical of scottish football, claims we are fifty years behind where we should be and advocates changing the game dramatically at grass roots level. was talking about it on radio this morning

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    as far as i can tell he's highly critical of scottish football, claims we are fifty years behind where we should be and advocates changing the game dramatically at grass roots level. was talking about it on radio this morning
    Excellent, i just don't trust these reports, committees, reviews or whatever you want to call them.

IMO all that'll happen is he'll publish this review, no-one will really be surprised, we'll all hope it's about to change but nothing different will actually happen.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Excellent, i just don't trust these reports, committees, reviews or whatever you want to call them.

IMO all that'll happen is he'll publish this review, no-one will really be surprised, we'll all hope it's about to change but nothing different will actually happen.

thats the main thing, you can write as many reports as you want but its up to the sfa to act upon advice given, he was saying he thinks they will even though smith is gone but i, like yourself am sceptical

Sadly, you're very likely right.

thats the main thing, you can write as many reports as you want but its up to the sfa to act upon advice given, he was saying he thinks they will even though smith is gone but i, like yourself am sceptical
    The goverment should force there hand by refusing to give scottish football any money until they act upon the report, the SFA have got to be answerable to someone surely

interesting thread mate

a lot of people take the hump when someone voices concern about hibs/scottish football etc saying that you are not a proper supporter and that anything that is said against the status quo is blasphemous.

but we need to start listening more carefully to people, such as yourself, who are dissatisfied with our entire game. What is the point in pretending that everything is rosy in the garden? we are constantly reminded that football is not a game anymore and that it is a business. Any business suffering the loss of custom at the levels of the SPL is in massive trouble and we need to start discussing how to win people back, how to arouse interest in our national sport and not just preserve it as some believe will do. It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.

although i am completely fed up myself, i think the more people who kick and scream about this dross we call a Premier League, the better it may be and the more thoroughly change will be discussed at boardroom level. it is probably folly to think that change will occur in a few years - it might take decades.

People are quick to judge those who are fed up with our fitba as fickle premiership brainwashed pantomime villains. but by posting on this website I am certain that you retain a decent sentiment for the club but maybe can't bare the pain of actually watching it anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    interesting thread mate

a lot of people take the hump when someone voices concern about hibs/scottish football etc saying that you are not a proper supporter and that anything that is said against the status quo is blasphemous.

but we need to start listening more carefully to people, such as yourself, who are dissatisfied with our entire game. What is the point in pretending that everything is rosy in the garden? we are constantly reminded that football is not a game anymore and that it is a business. Any business suffering the loss of custom at the levels of the SPL is in massive trouble and we need to start discussing how to win people back, how to arouse interest in our national sport and not just preserve it as some believe will do. It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.

although i am completely fed up myself, i think the more people who kick and scream about this dross we call a Premier League, the better it may be and the more thoroughly change will be discussed at boardroom level. it is probably folly to think that change will occur in a few years - it might take decades.

People are quick to judge those who are fed up with our fitba as fickle premiership brainwashed pantomime villains. but by posting on this website I am certain that you retain a decent sentiment for the club but maybe can't bare the pain of actually watching it anymore?

I also agree with most of the OP. The SPL is shocking and defo not value for money. People need to wake up and start seeing that guys who are running it aren't doing it right and are stuck in the past. We need fresh blood someone who wants to change things for the better. The more fans complain the more chance this will happen. I also think it could take yrs but lets start now before it's to late and the game goes down the pan altogether.

It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. How about starting with the basics like decent pitches. Introduce artificial surfaces right across the SPL before season commencing 2012.
    Every single year the game becomes a complete lottery as the weather takes its toll. Fans are being fleeced and ripped off having paid hard-earned money to witness sub-standard wars of attrition on diabolical pitches that cripple teams that like to play the game on the ground, like Hibs.

the argument against artificial pitches seems to be that they're not as good as a grass pitch.

How much grass was on most SPL pitches for most of the season? we shouldn't be comparing these pitches to grass, we should be comparing them to the tattie fields we play on for most of the season and IMO, they'd be much much better

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    the argument against artificial pitches seems to be that they're not as good as a grass pitch.

How much grass was on most SPL pitches for most of the season? we shouldn't be comparing these pitches to grass, we should be comparing them to the tattie fields we play on for most of the season and IMO, they'd be much much better
    I never actually looked it from that perspective. You have actually made me think about that and change my mind if they are really as good as folk say they are.

Left by mutual consent!
    This "Supporting" your team lark will never catch on..

Wha's in cherge here?

There is more wrong with our game in Scotland than the pitches!

Seriously Scottish football is in a stale state right now - admit it or not - it has been going this way for the last 5 or so years.

The structure from top - people in charge at the SFA to bottom - the grassroots coaching - players being produced ( or lack of ) needs looked at.

If we can get a good structure in place without the west coast bias then thats a small start.

You dont see the problem!!! He is one of the biggest reasons we have been stagnating for 50 yrs. This fu-k up is now in charge until the cronies can get another one of their men in, nothing will change, 50 yrs will become 51, 52,55,60,75,100 f,n years of standing still while the likes of Iceland and Lithuania over take us.

Supporters need to march on SFA headquarters and demand change.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is George Peat not the guy who sold Airdrie's bround at Broomfield, and couldn't find the money he'd been paid, when they wanted to build a new stadium?

Like the OP, I have given up caring, but I'm sure there is lots of evidence as to why George Peat shouldn't be in charge of walking a dog, let alone running football in this country.

I don't think I have ever seen a thicker looking man.

Little bit about Peat in this article,nothing too damning though.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/alan...SFA.6241255.jp

Gamer IDs

And yet he has been in a position to facilitate change for years and has done the grand sum of **** all.

Quote Originally Posted by Number10
    This "Supporting" your team lark will never catch on..
    I don't aim to turn this into a "Where were you today", mk 2, but the costs associated with following a team each season in the SPL far outweigh the value. Look at how expensive fixtures are around Europe? I was at the Rome derby last year - cost to get in? £20 (converted) - quality of pitch/atmosphere/catering/football on display/infrastructure/security? Second to none. Yet for me to attend a game at Falkirk earlier this year, it was £18 to get in with pish football, an awful looking park, a sparsely populated stadium, terrible catering and in general, just not value for money.

Wholesome change is required ALL accross the board and until the blind stop leading us, we're going to continue with an unfashionable, overpriced, poorly facilitated and downright unsustainably marketable product, because if wide-eyed punters continue to endure paying over the odds then they'll vote with their feet until change is enforced.

However, there ARE those fans out there who are akin to religious fundamentalists - they WILL pay rediculous amounts to watch this guff every week of the year in the name of "supporting your team". Surely, any true supporter would want to watch their team operating within a system which is fair, profitable and beneficial to our national football programme as a whole?

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Look at me, look at me

Left by mutual consent!
    £18 a game is hardly a ridiculous amount..

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    just get yourself a student card.... season ticket is only £175!!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    Considering what's on offer and the competitive value of following football in TOP leagues across Europe?

The very fact that some view that as an acceptable price to pay is a sad indictment of what has become the status quo really. It's a bit like driving along the road and thinking "petrol at 117.9p - that's cheap!".

Do you seriously believe that Scottish Football is a good quality, marketable, value for money product? If so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by PTS
    Look at me, look at me

Constructive as ever

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    Someone on a low income, would probably argue with you on that point.

When I started going, beer was 50p a pint, and it was £1 to get into a match. Beer is now around about 6 times more expensive, but football is 18 times more expensive.

There was an interesting TV programme with Matthew Parris a couple of years back. He was comparing living on benefits in Newcastle to how it was in the 80s.

In the 80s, it was possible to go to a match out of your weekly benefit, but in the new millenium it is completely out of the question.