hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby19 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I currently work in Carrick Knowe Bowling Club behind the bar, just wondering if any of you are either members or have played there recently and I have unknowingly met some of you
    Prob not me mate ...i dont play for the elite clubs like some o those guys ...they are aw bowling clubs ..we (Jewel) are a Miners club wi a green ..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Prob not me mate ...i dont play for the elite clubs like some o those guys ...they are aw bowling clubs ..we (Jewel) are a Miners club wi a green ..
    ... and probably not many on here, cos mostly they play for clubs in the Edinburgh Bowling League. Carrick Knowe along with most of the West side of town decided not to enter when it was formed in 1996... Shandongreen plays for Sighthill, maybe you'll have met him?

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    I currently work in Carrick Knowe Bowling Club behind the bar, just wondering if any of you are either members or have played there recently and I have unknowingly met some of you
    Never played there before, but my mates are the McKenna 'twins'

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    ... and probably not many on here, cos mostly they play for clubs in the Edinburgh Bowling League. Carrick Knowe along with most of the West side of town decided not to enter when it was formed in 1996... Shandongreen plays for Sighthill, maybe you'll have met him?
    I hear there are discussions on going about the Water of Leith teams maybe joining the EBL. Stumbling block is the WoL clubs not wanting to start in the bottom division and work their through, whilst EBL are determed that's exactly what they will have to do.

I feel a bit of common sense middle ground should be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    I hear there are discussions on going about the Water of Leith teams maybe joining the EBL. Stumbling block is the WoL clubs not wanting to start in the bottom division and work their through, whilst EBL are determed that's exactly what they will have to do.

I feel a bit of common sense middle ground should be reached.
    I heard that there may be a compromise position reached...

Apparently (hearsay only mind!) there are moves afoot to form a committee for the teams currently in divisions 3, 4 and 5.. with a view that the newly expanded league would fit a few WOL clubs (dependant on their finishing position at the end of their season) into div 3, some into 4, some into 5 and whatever was left over would create new divisions 6 and possibly 7?

Bottom line is (despite what I feel about them trying to get in the back door when they knew the rules and didn't join in 1996 when they were asked!), there is no point in having Carrick Knowe playing against Ferranti, Trinity, Coltbridge and Portobello (or Seafield for that matter - before you say it!) as it'd be a mis-match and would demoralise the wee teams while being boring for the misplaced big teams. I definitely don't think they should be allowed to come straight into division 1 and possibly even div 2.

Anyway, that's just a rumour that I heard.. so don't be passing it on to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by sg7nil View Post
    I heard that there may be a compromise position reached...

Apparently (hearsay only mind!) there are moves afoot to form a committee for the teams currently in divisions 3, 4 and 5.. with a view that the newly expanded league would fit a few WOL clubs (dependant on their finishing position at the end of their season) into div 3, some into 4, some into 5 and whatever was left over would create new divisions 6 and possibly 7?

Bottom line is (despite what I feel about them trying to get in the back door when they knew the rules and didn't join in 1996 when they were asked!), there is no point in having Carrick Knowe playing against Ferranti, Trinity, Coltbridge and Portobello (or Seafield for that matter - before you say it!) as it'd be a mis-match and would demoralise the wee teams while being boring for the misplaced big teams. I definitely don't think they should be allowed to come straight into division 1 and possibly even div 2.

Anyway, that's just a rumour that I heard.. so don't be passing it on to anyone
    Never heard any rumours on this Stu, but you can trust me to keep it to myself, or at least between you and me anyway

Totally agree with your opinion this.

Never heard any rumours on this Stu, but you can trust me to keep it to myself, or at least between you and me anyway

Totally agree with your opinion this.
    Wow Mike - the green last night was absolutely brilliant, easily the best I have played this season (rink 1). Always helps when you win too but a genuine joy to play on.

What I heard regarding the above, top 2 from west would be division 1, 3rd and 4th would be 2nd etc etc........

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Leith View Post
    Wow Mike - the green last night was absolutely brilliant, easily the best I have played this season (rink 1). Always helps when you win too but a genuine joy to play on.

What I heard regarding the above, top 2 from west would be division 1, 3rd and 4th would be 2nd etc etc........
    I was actually standing near the door watching your game and didn't recognise you. You played very well and thoroughly deserved your win, well done.

Pity you couldn't make the game next day.

Hot on the heels of the win over Northern hibbies i was back at my old stomping ground at the Jewel in a 2 bowls single hand tie at 10.00 this morn...i felt a bit jaded as nightshift & the heat down at Northern took its toll on my already overworked body !!!!

The Jewel, as i expected was still flying even after last nights heavy downpour & i struggled to get the pace early doors...a wee bit rain at the 10 end mark gave me a bit of a lift & i went from peels 13 to eventually win 21 - 17 picking up a single with a bowl to spare at 20 - 17....im unbeaten in single hands & pairs with a handicap arranged for the morn ...nae rest for the wicked as they say ..

@hibs.net private member hibby19's Avatar
    Never played there before, but my mates are the McKenna 'twins'
    Seriously? Ian is my uncle.

I don't really know much of the politics of bowls so forgive me for not being aware of the situation My knowledge of bowls in limited except that Tattie Marshal ( I think) is meant to be a pretty good player and when he was playing against the WoL at CKBC a couple of weeks ago a lot of people seemed a bit star struck
    ".....Hearts midfielder Laryea Kingston insists he can fulfil all his dreams at Tynecastle - by winning the SPL and a European trophy.
    The Ghanaian is certain the Jambos will soon become a major power at home and abroad"

Well, hot on the heels of my two bowl single hand win yest i was back in action today in the handicap ..playing against a 4 times Scottish Champion (David Cropley) i was playing from + 4 (3 + 7) ...i needed to build on my 4 shot advantage but in the drizzle i struggled & lost 2 2 4 in the first 3 ends & never really recovered ....i picked up a couple of pairs but was really up against it as the rain came down & Cropley compounded to my misery by piling up the points ...final score D Cropley 21 ..me 12 ....

Ist defeat of the season for me but plenty more to play for ..im down but not out ...

Having held back a bit in Saturday's game against , (although we were still good enough to win our game ) Myself and Sambajustice were the 'rear end' of the winning club SBA fours rink last night at the Northern. In a very tight game, it took a 'take out' from yours truly to give us a four at the 2nd last end, making us 6 up going into the last.
    It was nip & tuck all the way though and for me, Sambajustice was the star man of the evening, winning his first SBA qualifier after only three years of playing the game.

Chuffed to bits, especially for SJ, he deserved it after being beat in the previous two years finals.
    Last edited by MB62; 08-06-2010 at 01:33 PM.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Having held back a bit in Saturday's game against , (although we were still good enough to win our game ) Myself and Sambajustice were the 'rear end' of the winning club SBA fours rink last night at the Northern. In a very tight game, it took a 'take out' from yours truly to give us a four at the 2nd last end, making us 6 up going into the last.
    It was nip & tuck all the way through and for me, Sambajustice was the star man of the evening, winning his first SBA qualifier after only three years of playing the game.

Chuffed to bits, especially for SJ, he deserved it after being beat in the previous two years finals.
    Well done Mike & Mike

I don't really know much of the politics of bowls so forgive me for not being aware of the situation My knowledge of bowls in limited except that Tattie Marshal ( I think) is meant to be a pretty good player and when he was playing against the WoL at CKBC a couple of weeks ago a lot of people seemed a bit star struck
    Served my apprenticeship with Ian many moons ago at M&G's and apart from being Jambos, Ian & Allan are top guys. Obviously know Agnes as well.

Managed to get through to the district finals tonight and will play Pilrig in the final.

Trailed a jack 2 feet for a five in the second end and went on to lead 9-1 before Summerside pulled it back to peels at 9 and 2 ends later, peels at 10. I managed to ditch a bowl on the edge of the ditch for a pair and we managed to get away a bit after that.

Good game although Queensberry understandably was a bit heavy.

Tanfield have the Senior Fours, Triples and Fours through on Friday

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    Managed to get through to the district finals tonight and will play Pilrig in the final.

Trailed a jack 2 feet for a five in the second end and went on to lead 9-1 before Summerside pulled it back to peels at 9 and 2 ends later, peels at 10. I managed to ditch a bowl on the edge of the ditch for a pair and we managed to get away a bit after that.

Me too. Came back to win 21-20 against Poddy in the District 12 Juniors

Stick in on friday. Should be a few good games, I might come along depending on any world cup related plans.

Well done Andrew, stick in on Friday. Goldenacre just round the corner from me so might pop in to see how things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Me too. Came back to win 21-20 against Poddy in the District 12 Juniors

Stick in on friday. Should be a few good games, I might come along depending on any world cup related plans.
    Well played Dean, great stuff

Stick in on Tuesday against Terry

Promising Youngster

Talking

Well played Dean, great stuff

Stick in on Tuesday against Terry
    Yea deano well done last night mate great come back dug in well

As Sneds said our game was a bit up and down but we got the result and look forward to playing the galcticos on friday

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo View Post
    Yea deano well done last night mate great come back dug in well

As Sneds said our game was a bit up and down but we got the result and look forward to playing the galcticos on friday
    Cheers mate.

I'm guessing this is the hibs.net bowling team's newest recruit? By the way we've missed your presence on the bus on Sundays...your county needs you.

Northern beat Queensberry 7-2 at the 'Berry last night.
    Three games were decided by one shot and in my own game, out of 17 ends, there were 16 single shots scored. We picked up a 3 at the 2nd last end to peel at 9-9 each and won the last for a 10-9 victory

2nd XVI also won at home 7-2 against Mayfield to go top of their division so it's good time at the moment at the Northern.

Promising Youngster
    Cheers mate.

I'm guessing this is the hibs.net bowling team's newest recruit? By the way we've missed your presence on the bus on Sundays...your county needs you.
    Yes it is me mate. Being really busy on a sunday so thats the reason why i have not been there
    but will return soon to get the banter started again

Good luck to all the hibs.netters tonight - hope the green is running well!

Of course you too Deano - You know I'll have won tonight if you get a call at 3am btw

Managed to get through to Ayr in the fours last night. 3 of the rinks were Hibbies and 2 from the successful team.

Only won by a shot but should have been more comfortable.

Sunny Leith was involved in an incredibly close game next to us in the pairs and was very unlucky to lose out on an extra end after Jeffs (Craigie) ditched the white on the last end. Don't know what more you could have done Nicky.

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gary robertson
    gilmerton won the inter counties top 10.got myself a nice wee green cap n badge for being no.11

sitting in 4th place in the league 1pt behind 3 teams.nearing halfway thru the season

Unfortunately I was on the losing side tonight. I was 12-4 up, then went 19-12 down and lost 21-18.

Gutted...good luck to John in the finals(even though he's a Jambo)

Managed to get through to Ayr in the fours last night. 3 of the rinks were Hibbies and 2 from the successful team.

Only won by a shot but should have been more comfortable.

Sunny Leith was involved in an incredibly close game next to us in the pairs and was very unlucky to lose out on an extra end after Jeffs (Craigie) ditched the white on the last end. Don't know what more you could have done Nicky.
    Well done Andy and Bobby - looks like yous were always that wee bit better throughout the game.

I was pretty devestated at losing on the extra end, especially after I thought I had ditched the chalker perfectly, once again it wasn't to be.

Hard lines Deano mate, Always next year as they say...........

Talk about coincidences (who'se talking about coincidences?)

Just read in the EEN that Tattie beat Ian 21-4 in the final of district 12.

Well done to Ian for getting that far but Tattie can be a bit of a machine at singles.

Talk about coincidences (who'se talking about coincidences?)

Just read in the EEN that Tattie beat Ian 21-4 in the final of district 12.

Well done to Ian for getting that far but Tattie can be a bit of a machine at singles.
    It was Rab(Tatties brother) that beat Ian last night. Tattie is playing in East Lothian now.

It was Rab(Tatties brother) that beat Ian last night. Tattie is playing in East Lothian now.
    oops, sorry, How did Ian get beat by that mug?