hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There's only one F in Fulham

With all the hype that's surrounded Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal this season in relation to their European hopes and expectations I reckon Fulham's achievements have been hugely understated. They knocked out the holders Shaktar, Juve and now the reigning Bundesliga Champs Wolfsburg which is some achievement for a club living in the shadows of the others I've named.

So, well done to Fulham I say

PS: The thread title is actually the name of the Fulham Fanzine
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With all the hype that's surrounded Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal this season in relation to their European hopes and expectations I reckon Fulham's achievements have been hugely understated. They knocked out the holders Shaktar, Juve and now the reigning Bundesliga Champs Wolfsburg which is some achievement for a club living in the shadows of the others I've named.

Agree. A great achievement and just shows you what a good job a manager can do when allowed the time.

Well done The Cottagers.

Just thought I would add that there is "No F in Hearts" according to my crystal ball.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Does anybody, know anybody who supports Fulham?

Just curious?

Would Hibs have taken more than 2,000 to Germany for the Quarter finals of the Europa League. I think we would.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post

Just curious?

Would Hibs have taken more than 2,000 to Germany for the Quarter finals of the Europa League. I think we would.

J
    Well clearly they do have fans though I don't know any of them personally

As to their numbers, maybe the wallets had been stretched far enough having to follow the side to various European destinations
    This is how it feels

Always find it strange that folk on here care about English teams.

Edit: And aye, we would hae taken about 5 times that if we were allocated it.

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Why? I like football. I support Hibs but I enjoy watching other teams if the game's on telly. I appreciate Fulham's achievements because they are a small club but have done very well.

Them's my reasons
    This is how it feels

Just curious?

J

Wolfsburg's capacity is around 30,000 and I believe Fulham's allocation was only 2,000.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?

Yup.

The last three rounds I've been thinking, "Well, that'll be it this time. They won't beat (whoever)...." But they do.

Can't see them winning it, though.

But if you compare their financial resources, European experience and League placing....

So I agree - well done the Cottagers. Well done Roy Hodgson.

(Wasn't John Collins allegedly favourite for that job ahead of Hodgson? Talk about narrow escapes?)

Well done Fulham, good to see a so called lesser team punching well above their weight.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    They've become my English team, really like the club. They have done fantastically well this season in Europe, but of course their league form has suffered a bit due to this.

Catching Fulham v Wolves next week and would have seen Fulham v Stoke but they postponed it!

Didn't Roy Hodgson say he didn't really want to take part as it was a distraction from the EPL.

I note that they are lower than last season in the EPL but their fans must be loving the adventure.

Beating Juve and Wolfsburg are fantastic achievements - no doubt!
    Last edited by IWasThere2016; 08-04-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Its been a really good season for Fulham

I saw them at the start of last season in a friendly match. Roy Hodgeson has really got them playing good football.

Hope they win the europa league, they really do deserve it!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post

Didn't Roy Hodgson say he didn't really want to take part as it was a distraction from the EPL.

I note that they are lower than last season in the EPL but their fans must be loving the adventure.

Beating Juve and Wolfsburg are fantastic achievements - no doubt!

Yup. I guess he hasn't really been trying in Europe this year....

As one who has just entered his seventh decade in this world, I must say it warms the cockles of the old heart to see someone old enough to be somebody's grandad having that sort of success.

And the odd thing is, he does it all with a degree of grace and dignity beyond certain other senior football managers I could think of....

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    David diddy Hamilton, he's the most famous Fulham supporter i know, if you dont count Michael Jackson. His wig is nearly as good as Elton Johns.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post

Edit: And aye, we would hae taken about 5 times that if we were allocated it.
    You were doing so well too.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    David diddy Hamilton, he's the most famous Fulham supporter i know, if you dont count Michael Jackson. His wig is nearly as good as Elton Johns.
    Dennis Waterman is one (he was quite trendy in the 70s). I always thought Fulham were a kind of Londond based Partick Thistle. Celebrities could support them without upsetting anyone.

On a tangent here, but I see they still have their 19th Century pavillion in the ground. I always wonder how Airdrie were allowed to demolish theirs, I'd have thought that both were listed buildings.

Fulham a bit like Everton are a team that will earn respect as they do not overspend in comparison to others in the EPL and in Hodgson they arguably have manager of the season in the EPL. I for one hope they go on to win the thing as their manager as well as the work ethic of the team deserves the success.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Id much rather have watched Fulham on channel 5 last night. The commentators even said at the Liverpool game "they are the last hope for english football in europe this year" mean while fulham were 1 up against Wolfsburg.

Just goes to show you english big four coverage is just as annoying as our big two coverage.

I hope they win it at the expense of liverpool, shake things up a bit and get a supercup of Barca vs Fulham

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    I know a guy who's a Fulham fan. Travels dowm a few times a year. As for famous fans Lily Allen would count.

Hugh Grant is a big fan apparently, and travelled to Wolfsburg.

I heard the Channel 5 commentators prattling on about Liverpol being England's only hope.

What a bunch of myopic, disrespectful pricks!!

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Well clearly they do have fans though I don't know any of them personally

As to their numbers, maybe the wallets had been stretched far enough having to follow the side to various European destinations
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Wolfsburg's capacity is around 30,000 and I believe Fulham's allocation was only 2,000.
    I was just making the point that they seem a poorly supported team for the Premiership.

Living down in England I know fans from pretty much every Premier team, (and alot from the other divisions).

however Fulham is the notable exception. I just dont know anyone, or know of anyone who knows any Fulham fans. it is also one of the easiest grounds to get tickets for (they have a neutral section FFS!)

Just wonder what position they would be in if it wasnt for all the millions of pounds of Sky money that is pumped into them annually.

Bolton is another one that perplexes me, smallish club yet walking through the players carpark on the way to the Hibs end at the pre-season game back in August the amount of six figure cars was astounding. You go back 30 years I would argue that Hibs were bigger than the likes of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, etc.

Guess thats the way the cookie crumbles, they happen to be in the richist league in the world so they get the bucks, regardless of the total support. Clubs rely more on TV money than the fans through the gate.

J
    J

Coaching Staff
    I was just making the point that they seem a poorly supported team for the Premiership.

Living down in England I know fans from pretty much every Premier team, (and alot from the other divisions).

however Fulham is the notable exception. I just dont know anyone, or know of anyone who knows any Fulham fans. it is also one of the easiest grounds to get tickets for (they have a neutral section FFS!)

Just wonder what position they would be in if it wasnt for all the millions of pounds of Sky money that is pumped into them annually.

Bolton is another one that perplexes me, smallish club yet walking through the players carpark on the way to the Hibs end at the pre-season game back in August the amount of six figure cars was astounding. You go back 30 years I would argue that Hibs were bigger than the likes of Fulham, Bolton, Wigan, Burnley, etc.

Guess thats the way the cookie crumbles, they happen to be in the richist league in the world so they get the bucks, regardless of the total support. Clubs rely more on TV money than the fans through the gate.

J
    J
    I visit London a few times a year and as Craven Cottage is reasonably near to where I stay I tend to go to a couple of games. It's a very friendly club - I'm struck for instance by the almost complete of lack of abusive language from around about (and I've watched matches from all three home stands) and the fact that they support their team through thick and thin. I've also noticed that away fans are tolerated in the home end, as long as they are not too loud or abusive

Although the ground has a capacity of 25k, I would say that it is not as good a ground as ER (for instance the Johnny Haynes, which like the Cottage itself is a listed building, is very similar to Tynie's main stand in both having restricted viewing and, IMO, as a potential death trap). The Riverside stand is quite good, but has very few seats that have completely unrestricted views due to pillars. The Hammersmith (behind one of the goals) is made of quite poor, cheap material (compared to ER). Once ER is complete, it will, IMO, be a superior ground.

Fulham are almost £200M in debt and obviously kept going by the generosity of Mohammed Al Fayed (although I think his ownership of the club is more a vanity thing than anything else). The feeling is that he may be there because of the development potential of the ground, and would not be averse to moving Fulham FC to another ground (shared with QPR, maybe????), if he could turn a profit on the deal.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    I really hope they go all the way. They have done remarkable to be honest.

Promising Youngster
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daynebor19

Just curious?

J
    I'm a big Fulham fan, have been since about 1998 when we were second division (or league one as it's known now).

Absolutely delerious with the Europa league run. Don't forget we also matched Roma and were unlucky not to win, another huge club. Shakhtar, Juventus, Wolfsburg... I actually think we're in with a superb shout of winning this!
    Last edited by Hibeebor; 09-04-2010 at 02:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Always remember Spike Milligan being asked which team he supported.

He replied ' poorbloodyfulhamnochance '

Times have changed........,

Just curious?

J

My mate used to write for the fanzine, went to a few games with him and there was one F in freezin. Lived and ref just sarf
    of the river barn elms, the civil service ground and mortlake. Appy days, mon the whites;/)

First Team Breakthrough The Mook's Avatar

J
    J
    Hibs are way bigger than Wigan, prob Fulham as well support wise (although their home average gate is bigger in the Prem).

We are probably similar size support wise to Bolton and Burnley. When Burnley were back in the 4th tier of English footie they got about 7000 home fans, if we somehow ended up in SFL 3 I think we would be lucky to get 5000.

In fact compared to the size of town we should be far bigger hitters than these boys but unfortunately were no

Well said,JB.

In fact, as a Hibee now resident in SW London, I have paid the occasional visit to the Cottage.

Actually, I have almost become a FFC supporter!

My sis is coming down for the May Bank Holiday and we are going to the game v. W Ham at the Cottage. We have been to a few games before at the Cottage.

Now as for the game v. Hamburg, my dearly beloved and I have another engagement but I am trying to persuade him to change that so that we can go. It ain't everyday you can go to a UEFA semi-final.

Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    Well said,JB.

In fact, as a Hibee now resident in SW London, I have paid the occasional visit to the Cottage.

Actually, I have almost become a FFC supporter!

My sis is coming down for the May Bank Holiday and we are going to the game v. W Ham at the Cottage. We have been to a few games before at the Cottage.

Now as for the game v. Hamburg, my dearly beloved and I have another engagement but I am trying to persuade him to change that so that we can go. It ain't everyday you can go to a UEFA semi-final.
    Good luck with that J - a UEFA semi final would be awesome
    This is how it feels

Good luck with that J - a UEFA semi final would be awesome

John, the more I think about it the more I think it would be daft not to go!!

Even if the view is obstructed by a post as is often the case!

Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    John, the more I think about it the more I think it would be daft not to go!!

Even if the view is obstructed by a post as is often the case!
    So, as well as being semi finalists in Europe which Hibs have been ... twice, Fulham have got their own East Stand set up too
    This is how it feels