hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I the only person

Am I the only person that thought that Hibs played pretty well last night, we didn't exactly set the heather alight but I thought we were the better team until the third goal went in and killed the game as a contest, if it wasn't for a truly shocking performance from that guy that ran around the pitch and called himself a referee then I felt we would probably won the game, Thought that Cregg grabbed his rare chance and played really well, the only thing with last night that is beginning to be the norm is the subs they were too late and how Galbraith was left sitting on the bench I will never know oh well its good to be a Hibee

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes I think you are.

What I saw was some incredibly average players with no bottle.

We have a handful of decent players - one of whom can't wait to leave. The rest...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    all i saw was a team with no shape.

we had a gk who cant kick, 4 defenders, 1 left midfielder, 4 midget centre midfielders no right midfielder & a complete numpty upfront.

the new centre tactics are laughable..... looked like we were awaiting KO at a rugby match.

if yogi doesnt get over his obsession with his 4-5-1 come 4-3-3 then we might as well forget 3rd or 4th place this season.

everybody keeps going on about how good we have been and that we've been 3rd most of the season..... thats because we were an unknown quantity andf with the players we brought in we should still be there........but now every team knows how to beat yogis team & tactics.

i dont know how he cannot see what everyone else sees!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I the only person that thought that Hibs played pretty well last night, we didn't exactly set the heather alight but I thought we were the better team until the third goal went in and killed the game as a contest, if it wasn't for a truly shocking performance from that guy that ran around the pitch and called himself a referee then I felt we would probably won the game, Thought that Cregg grabbed his rare chance and played really well, the only thing with last night that is beginning to be the norm is the subs they were too late and how Galbraith was left sitting on the bench I will never know oh well its good to be a Hibee
    We made enough chances thats for sure but there has to be questions asked re the defending on goals 2 and 3, Miller should have closed Swanston down and Sol needed to to better against Goodwillie, so yes we played OK in certain aspects but performed poorly in the critical area of defence.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    yes
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Yes I think you are.

What I saw was some incredibly average players with no bottle.

We have a handful of decent players - one of whom can't wait to leave. The rest...
    am i missing something

@hibs.net private member
    We were awful last night.

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    am i missing something
    Bamba

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think it was a lot better last night. Not brilliant but a lot better. Stack and miller have had better games but the rest put a shift in. Poor ref and linesman on the bare side especially spoiled what at one point wasa decent game.
    For those that thought we were awful I can only assume that was your first game in a couple of months?

Promising Youngster
    i actually agree, i thought for the fist half we were actually the better team, what worries me tho is once the third goal went in it was game over, no fight, passion or desire which is what dundee u had in spadeloads, hence their victory.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyHibby View Post
    i actually agree, i thought for the fist half we were actually the better team, what worries me tho is once the third goal went in it was game over, no fight, passion or desire which is what dundee u had in spadeloads, hence their victory.
    We had plenty of players giving their all out there. The truth is we were beaten by a better team. It happens.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs

No your not.

Last night's performance was a big improvement on recent weeks. We were unlucky to come up against a team on top form. We looked a lot better at 4-4-2.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHibs07 View Post
    No your not.

Last night's performance was a big improvement on recent weeks. We were unlucky to come up against a team on top form. We looked a lot better at 4-4-2.
    Aggree,

Was pleased that we went for a 4-4-2. If Nishes post shot had of gone in it would have been 2-2 and game on.

A marked improvement, however we still need to get back to how we were playing. I cant count how many times passes went nowhere, or worse to a Dundee Utd player, Miller, Hogg, Stack, Bamba, Thicot, etc, the list goes on.

Also agreed, the ref was terrible.

Improved, but MUST compete and think.

J

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    We had plenty of players giving their all out there. The truth is we were beaten by a better team. It happens.
    I agree with this and with the OP.

That was a much better showing than recent efforts - I only saw the game on Alba.

United were thrown a life line by the penalty decision. I wouldn't have given a penalty, but I can see why the ref did.

Had Nish taken either or both of his chances - when he went round the keeper and when he hit the post - I think we may well still have gone on to win the game.

United are a very good side and, as Goodwillie said after the game, they are really enjoying training and playing for Houston - this may be the key.

Plenty of problems at Hibs (and not just on the playing side) but have seen a lot worse than last night and we might have beaten quite few SPL teams on that performance - United were excellent. Though not claiming we looked good.

Gamer IDs

No your not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    Aggree,

Was pleased that we went for a 4-4-2. If Nishes post shot had of gone in it would have been 2-2 and game on.

A marked improvement, however we still need to get back to how we were playing. I cant count how many times passes went nowhere, or worse to a Dundee Utd player, Miller, Hogg, Stack, Bamba, Thicot, etc, the list goes on.

Also agreed, the ref was terrible.

Improved, but MUST compete and think.

J
    what formation do you think yogi will play on sunday??

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    I agree with this and with the OP.

That was a much better showing than recent efforts - I only saw the game on Alba.

United were thrown a life line by the penalty decision. I wouldn't have given a penalty, but I can see why the ref did.

Had Nish taken either or both of his chances - when he went round the keeper and when he hit the post - I think we may well still have gone on to win the game.

United are a very good side and, as Goodwillie said after the game, they are really enjoying training and playing for Houston - this may be the key.
    I am surprised that someone your age thought that last night performance had players with a lot of fight. You would surely have seen the good hibs sides over the years where there were real players that gave their all.

I left with a strange feeling. Were we unlucky or bad?. Think it was a bit of both. We could have been 2 or 3 up before they scored. Rash challenge from Hogg changed the game imo. We were well on top till then. Nish`s pathetic attempt to shoot/round keeper/shoot/pass?, then his sitter when he hit post. The 3rd & 4th goals were a shambles.

So imo, the game was there for the taking, but we threw it away.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: MrHibs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    I think we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation; what about you?

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Yogi's magic 8 ball says - Reply hazy, try again.

Gamer IDs

I think we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation; what about you?
    an actual 4-4-1-1 or yogis 4-4-1-1 which is actually a 4-3-2-1??

i think he'll play the ineffective yogi 4-4-1-1

It wasn't as bad as the score would suggest (that could have come right out Yogi's mouth) but equally, it NEEDN'T have been the way it ended up.

We can blame ourselves, not Utd's amazing prowess and footballing excellence...Nish should have buried that shot instead of taking an extra step and squaring it to the utd defender....Hogg should have been more careful. Stack should have engaged his brain on more than one occassion...a lot of SHOULD have's there.....but, we DID "look" moderately less shight than we have. Given recent embarassments, thats improvement though nothing like, and nowhere near, what we could and should have done, given the way it panned out, particularly after netting after 38 seconds.

I'm with you on this! I thought we were trying, and succeeding at rare points, to play a good style of football. I liked the new look 4-4-2 set-up and thought cregg deserves 100% to keep his place as he gave the United midfielders no time on the ball. Think the mistake was to play nish instead of stokes otherwise we may've taken more chances and killed the game. Still sickened by the result and thought the ref was an absolute joke.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by highland_hibbee View Post
    I'm with you on this! I thought we were trying, and succeeding at rare points, to play a good style of football. I liked the new look 4-4-2 set-up and thought cregg deserves 100% to keep his place as he gave the United midfielders no time on the ball. Think the mistake was to play nish instead of stokes otherwise we may've taken more chances and killed the game. Still sickened by the result and thought the ref was an absolute joke.
    when was this??

We have played far worse than that recently. I was pleased to see a 4-4-2 or at times 4-3-1-2.

Deek definitely was playing up front which should have pleased a lot of fans on this board, he did drift left but that was off his own back. As many know I am not his biggest fan but even I will admit he put in a shift which was nice to see. I see plenty slagging Nish (and with good reason for his first chance) but nobody has mentioned Riordan missing an open goal from the rebound of Nish's shot of the post

Adding Cregg to the midield gave a bit of bite that hasn't been there recently, unfortunately Stevenson & Rankin are not the best players, they work hard but just don't have it for a game against one of the best sides in the league, too one paced and not enough quality. I was disappointed with the use of our subs as I would have replaced either Stevenson or Rankin with Galbraith and given us some width on the left and maybe put some pressure on them.

I hope it is now an either Riordan or Stokes up front with one other, Riordan did ok through the middle but his first touch let him down a lot last night. Stokes was on the pitch for 15 minutes, had one chance in front of goal and he put it away beautifully, don't think he's the best footballer outside the box but as a finisher he is outstanding. If I thought him and Deek could play as a partnership that would be brilliant but I think they both need an unselfish partner to play alongside.

There were signs of balance to the side last night, United only had 4 shots on target and if we had picked anyone other than Stack they woulnd't have scored 4 times. He gives no confidence to the defence, doesn't dominate his area and I can only assume that he closes his eyes and hopes for the best when he kicks or throws the ball out.

We can still finish the season strongly, a fit and performing McBride and the return of Smith/Maka/Brown between the sticks could make a huge difference.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    It was appalling. I saw Arsenal v. Barca afterwards and the gulf is horrendous.

The Arabs showed us why it's not the pitch or the formation that's the problem.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post
    We have played far worse than that recently. I was pleased to see a 4-4-2 or at times 4-3-1-2.

Deek definitely was playing up front which should have pleased a lot of fans on this board, he did drift left but that was off his own back. As many know I am not his biggest fan but even I will admit he put in a shift which was nice to see. I see plenty slagging Nish (and with good reason for his first chance) but nobody has mentioned Riordan missing an open goal from the rebound of Nish's shot of the post

Adding Cregg to the midield gave a bit of bite that hasn't been there recently, unfortunately Stevenson & Rankin are not the best players, they work hard but just don't have it for a game against one of the best sides in the league, too one paced and not enough quality. I was disappointed with the use of our subs as I would have replaced either Stevenson or Rankin with Galbraith and given us some width on the left and maybe put some pressure on them.

I hope it is now an either Riordan or Stokes up front with one other, Riordan did ok through the middle but his first touch let him down a lot last night. Stokes was on the pitch for 15 minutes, had one chance in front of goal and he put it away beautifully, don't think he's the best footballer outside the box but as a finisher he is outstanding. If I thought him and Deek could play as a partnership that would be brilliant but I think they both need an unselfish partner to play alongside.

There were signs of balance to the side last night, United only had 4 shots on target and if we had picked anyone other than Stack they woulnd't have scored 4 times. He gives no confidence to the defence, doesn't dominate his area and I can only assume that he closes his eyes and hopes for the best when he kicks or throws the ball out.

We can still finish the season strongly, a fit and performing McBride and the return of Smith/Maka/Brown between the sticks could make a huge difference.
    seriously now, aprils fools are only valid before 12..... when did we see a 4-4-2???

i hope people arent referring to that monstrosity of a formation we used until stokes came on..... that was nothing like a 4-4-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post

Because he didn't, Riordan's shot was blocked by a defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Westie1875 View Post
    Because he didn't, Riordan's shot was blocked by a defender.
    He should have scored in the same way that Nish should at least have forced the keeper into making a save at the end of the first half. The keeper was out of position and he had the whole goal to aim at, he hit a defender because it was a poor attempt, his reaction said it all.

Left by mutual consent!
    Ehh people?

We conceded 4 goals.

They had 5 shots (including penalty), if we can't even get the basics right, like defending, we could play the best formation and tactics out there and still get pumped.

The fact is the 4-4-2 played last night was ineffective and non existent.