hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Should Yogi get another season in charge?

Voters
288. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

208 72.22%
  • No

80 27.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Should we risk giving Yogi another year?

Still smarting from last night's latest performance by Yogi's easybeats and I'm now convinced he does not, and will not, have what it takes to takes Hibs forward.

He's rebuilding some will say. He can rebuild all he wants, but new players will make no difference if he continues to deploy the same naive tactics week after week. He already HAS plenty decent players. He just can't seem to set them up in a way that prevents the opposition carving open countless chances every game. Anyone who was at Falkirk will know that they could easily have scored three or four.

If Yogi remains in charge I can see a long hard season ahead next time out. As for Celtic on Sunday, it could be embarrassing. If they're gifted as much possession as United then Keane could help himself to a barrowload.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Of course we should, he needs to get the dross out the door, and more quality in.

No I would give him longer.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I think his signing policy has led to his own demise. He wants players who play with 'their heart on their sleeves', yet contradicts this by signing what he describes as 'mavericks'. It's a cliche I know, but we do need players who will play for the shirt.
    I wouldn't give him another year as he'll just sign more players that he can't get the best out of, and will infuriate us with his tactical idiocy.

@hibs.net private member
    "risk"? How's it a risk?

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Yet another bonkers thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still smarting from last night's latest performance by Yogi's easybeats and I'm now convinced he does not, and will not, have what it takes to takes Hibs forward.

He's rebuilding some will say. He can rebuild all he wants, but new players will make no difference if he continues to deploy the same naive tactics week after week. He already HAS plenty decent players. He just can't seem to set them up in a way that prevents the opposition carving open countless chances every game. Anyone who was at Falkirk will know that they could easily have scored three or four.

If Yogi remains in charge I can see a long hard season ahead next time out. As for Celtic on Sunday, it could be embarrassing. If they're gifted as much possession as United then Keane could help himself to a barrowload.
    We laugh at the Yams for their constant managerial upheaval. Seriously, do we only give a manager three quarters of a season now? Geezus.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Of course we should, he needs to get the dross out the door, and more quality in.
    Changing managers too often is what has got us into this mess, should never have let JC go IMO.

Yogi needs more time to build HIS team.

Depends if this current sequence of results and form lasts until the end of the season.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone else smell it?

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Does anyone else smell it?
    Yes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawheid View Post
    Yes.
    You'd think its owner would bring one of those wee bags to clean up its mess though?

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    "risk"? How's it a risk?

I think it's a risk on current evidence, where we look likely to ship four or more goals per game. If I thought Yogi really seemed to know what he was doing I'd be prepared to cut him some slack but IMHO we've been down this road before with Jim Duffy. Supposedly promising young manager given a bit more time and then getting us relegated. I'd hope we won't be bad enough to get relegated next season but my gut feeling is we're heading backwards rather than forwards under the current manager.

@hibs.net private member
    I think it's a risk on current evidence, where we look likely to ship four or more goals per game. If I thought Yogi really seemed to know what he was doing I'd be prepared to cut him some slack but IMHO we've been down this road before with Jim Duffy. Supposedly promising young manager given a bit more time and then getting us relegated. I'd hope we won't be bad enough to get relegated next season but my gut feeling is we're heading backwards rather than forwards under the current manager.
    FFS. Current evidence shows us as the 4th best team in the country.

Yes, for a variety of reasons.

1-Since Tony Mowbray left in 2006, we have had three managers in under four years. That is no good for stability and I think that we need to give Hughes a chance for the time being, as long as we are not competing at the wrong end of the league. Also if we sack Hughes, who do we bring in to replace him? It would most likely be yet another gamble and not someone with a proven track record.

2-Whether it is actually the case or not remains to be seen but Hughes seems adamant, and in my opinion is also pretty convincing, when he says that he knows what he needs to do over the coming months to change things for the better and he still knows where he wants to take the club and the kind of personnel that he needs in the team that will allow him to achieve his targets.

3-It has been shown at other clubs, including Dundee Utd, the kind of team that a manager can establish if he is given time to do it. Craig Levein took about three years to build up the side that is currently at Tannadice. It didn't happen overnight.

4-There are a number of players who, in my opinion, simply are not good enough for Hibs and for where Hughes wants to take the club. I'm not going to go into naming names on this thread as I'm sure there are countless threads on this subject on here already. These players need to be shipped out in the summer and Hughes and Rice need to identify about six or seven players who are going to take the club forward and who fit into the John Hughes vision that he keeps talking about in interviews. He hasn't even been at Hibs for a year yet and I don't think you can expect miracles when the general consensus on here last summer was that the new manager had a massive rebuilding job on his hands given the awful season that we had last year and also in clearing out most of the dross that had been brought to the club by Collins and Paatelainen.

I am willing to give Hughes time because I still believe he has what it takes to take this club to where we all want it to be. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part and perhaps Hughes will end up proving to be the wrong man for the job and we will need to go our separate ways. If we are still playing the way we're currently playing and still getting the results that we're currently getting by Christmas and into the New Year, then I think serious questions will need to be asked and maybe a change will be required.

For the moment though, I am personally not at the stage where I think his position is untenable.

Yes the current run of results is poor, but there is no doubting that the squad has improved. Yogi has a load of work to do.

I actually wonder if the fault lies with the fans here. I think we have got ourselves carried away with what could have happened with this team and that we wrongly assumed our players were better than the rest, they are not. We have been telling ourselves that our strikers were better than the rest, but really it is just Deeks and Stokes. We started to shout about Bamba being a £5M world cup star, when he was a bombscare defender when we signed him. We went on how bad the OF were, but they are still spending way more than the rest on wages and have more quality. How many of our players would get a game there at the moment? So now that the players and manager haven't lived up to over exagerrated opinion of them we want them shot.

Yogi has done well up to now and given at least two more transfer windows will give us an even stronger squad while moving on under achievers. It has been said that he is not getting the best out of the players, but then again maybe he is and they are simply not good enough for the job. He may well know it, but has no other replacements and can't really say out loud these players are crap and not good enough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    He may well know it, but has no other replacements and can't really say out loud these players are crap and not good enough.
    It must be the only thing he isn't saying out loud. IMO one of the problems is that Yogi has too much to say in the press. I think he'd be better just to get on with the job, and concentrate on relations with the players, behind the scenes.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    "risk"? How's it a risk?
    That was my first thought as well.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    FFS. Current evidence shows us as the 4th best team in the country.
    Come off it. We're only 4th because of the points accumulated until January. Since then I'd wager we are statistically among the worst teams in the SPL. I suspect only Falkirk have picked up fewer points in the last couple of months.

I can understand why some think it's harsh to judge a manager on one season, but can anyone honestly say they watch Hibs at the moment and think 'aye, I can see real signs that Yogi is building something good here'?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Come off it. We're only 4th because of the points accumulated until January. Since then I'd wager we are statistically among the worst teams in the SPL. I suspect only Falkirk have picked up fewer points in the last couple of months.

I can understand why some think it's harsh to judge a manager on one season, but can anyone honestly say they watch Hibs at the moment and think 'aye, I can see real signs that Yogi is building something good here'?
    Is that how the season works now, league placings will only be worked out from a convenient point to suit someone's argument?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries

So the points that we accumulated up to January don't count? In that case Hearts must be on course for another tilt at the Champions League. Good job there will be a stadium in Edinburgh that will be suitable come August.

Hibs - always thinking of the bigger picture. Not bad for a wee team.

Well going by that logic before January we were one of the best teams in the SPL.
    So are we best, worst or.......and this might be an option some on here haven't considered............. somewhere in between?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

First Team Breakthrough An Leargaidh's Avatar

Smile Yogi's rating

Yogi has a win percentage of approximately 45%. I think John Collins managed 42% and McLeish 47% so it is not as if we are losing every game. I think we have got our expectations up too high with the better performance at the beginning of the season and we should just be happy to finish 3rd or 4th which will still be better than last year IIRC.

So since the departure of Pa Moomin back to Finland the club has increased its position on the SPL. If we can hold even 4th then that will be a climb of 2 places. Aye we got kicked out the Cups but Mixu didn't get us anywhere in them either.

Despite whatever has caused the end of season dross performances and disappointed expectations we are still moving up and I think Yogi should definitely get another year

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Totally agree, but, Yogi had the chance to bring in players where we really needed them and he never, we ended up with 3 new goalies, too many small midfielders and most importantly no defenders! I am not sure if Yogi is the right man now!

I like Hughes and and he seems able to talk decent players into signing for us and in ideal world he should be given more time - however he may not get that. Board must be wondering if Mowbray would be interested given they are going to have a higher capacity ground to fill and he is only manager we have had who regularly drew near sell outs to ER for non-OF/Hearts games.

Im no convinced aboot Yogi's tactical skills.

That said, I am convinced this site is full of undercover yams on the windup with **** all better to do than talk ***** about Hibs when in fact, they are more ****ed than even we thought possible just a few years ago.

That said, we're the ones who're obsessed with them.

Rather be Hibs and playing sheite than yams and no be around in 5 years.

ENDOF

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Im no convinced aboot Yogi's tactical skills.

That said, I am convinced this site is full of undercover yams on the windup with **** all better to do than talk ***** about Hibs when in fact, they are more ****ed than even we thought possible just a few years ago.
    Spot on. It's becoming clearer as the days go on.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickyBlueEyes68 View Post
    Yogi has a win percentage of approximately 45%. I think John Collins managed 42% and McLeish 47% so it is not as if we are losing every game. I think we have got our expectations up too high with the better performance at the beginning of the season and we should just be happy to finish 3rd or 4th which will still be better than last year IIRC.

So since the departure of Pa Moomin back to Finland the club has increased its position on the SPL. If we can hold even 4th then that will be a climb of 2 places. Aye we got kicked out the Cups but Mixu didn't get us anywhere in them either.

Despite whatever has caused the end of season dross performances and disappointed expectations we are still moving up and I think Yogi should definitely get another year
    Yogi has a good win rate, but the problem is the performances in the second half of the season. At some point, and hopefully before its not too late, you have to draw the line. If we were losing games but still getting decent performances and effort out the players then I think there would be no question that Yogi deserves more time, however, the performances and effort for the last few months have been nothing short of shocking. Yogi prides himself in being able to create confidence, unity and fight into a team, these seem to be completely missing at present.

Hibs have better players than last season, the other teams around us dont seem to be as good as last season(rangers, Celtic, Motherwell, Hearts and aberdeen) so you would expect hibs to be a lot better than last season, but performances for the last few months have shown otherwise.

Do we not count our points tally before Christmas now?

Yes since Christmas our form has been poor but we are still in 4th place despite that poor form. It doesn't say much for all the teams below us like Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone and Aberdeen if we've been crap and yet we're still in the position we're in.

We are the 4th best team in the country just now. It probably is a poor reflection on the state of the SPL this season but it's still a fact.

First Team Breakthrough

Yogi has to show he has got it tactically aware - for me I have got my doubts. The next transfer window will show if he has fixed the problems in the team -

• centre halfs that cant clear their lines and deal with cross balls
    • no right backs
    • height and power in midfield
    • natural width and pace
    • target man to leed the line