hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Which english team do you have a soft spot for?

Voters
297. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arsenal

40 13.47%
  • Man U

62 20.88%
  • Chelsea

11 3.70%
  • Liverpool

44 14.81%
  • Other

140 47.14%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Rab's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rabferg

Soft spot for an english team poll

I saw a post before that said most people who had an english team who they had a soft spot for (or saw as a second team were glory hunters). I always have a soft spot for areas I have lived in so carlisle would be my english team. I just wanted to see if it was true that the vast majority have one of the "big four" as a second team. So if you like an english team who are they?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Birmingham just now, quite like seeing Scottish people succeed down in England so it's good to see Mcleish, Ferguson and McFadden do well.

Arsenal for me but not becasue im a glory hunter but becasue of the football they play and i loved henry when he was there GENIUS.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EdinburghDan
    Arsenal since the early 90's

@hibs.net private member
    I usually keep an eye out for the Spurs results having lived in the 'nam (that's Tott'nam to the uninitiated) for a few years and been an occasional visitor to White Hart Lane.

Like the poster above I also tend to keep an eye on the Scottish contingent, meaning the likes of Brum and Burnley get a wee bit more attention as well.

Newcastle United, father followed them so i did too. Going to st james' in a few weeks, can't wait.

Saw Liverpool on MotD in the mid-70s playing a style of football hitherto unwitnessed and was smitten. Keegam, Toshack, Callaghan, Heighway et-al were a joy to watch. I was only 6 or 7 so it wasn't about glory hunting, I just liked them.
    Now I'm no really fussed. I enjoy the English game but it doesn't get the old juices flowing and while nominally still have a wee place for Liverpool, since the Souness managerial tenure, disaffection has pretty much taken up permanent residence.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Liverpool became my preferred English team when we both had Carlsberg as a sponsor.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Newcastle, family reasons.

Have to say Brum as i've always like Mcfadden and obvious Hibs connections, and always thought Mcfadden was Hibs class

Promising Youngster
    Started following Chelsea back in the day when the EPL was getting popular when I was in High School and everyone else was following Man Utd and Liverpool. When Ruud Gullit started playing for them I was hooked and have been down to a few games at the bridge as well as "borrowing" my Uncle's season ticket when they play at St James' Park (not been so good this season for a trip to see the Blues at the toon tho)

Went through years and years of mediocrity before they got really good, remeber the year they won the Cup Winners Cup with Jonathen Pearce on Channel 5 commentary screaming "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRobertoo Diiiiiiiiiiii Mateaooooooooooooooooooooo". Still got an away kit from that season with "Vialli 9" on the back in size medium that I sometimes still like to think I can fit into, very nearly a surgical operation to get me out of it again.

Also have a slight soft spot for Everton, they are a proper TEAM without any real star player and think Davie Moyes is a cracking manager.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Spurs

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i have two:

forest green rovers - for some bizarre reason, i've been to a couple of games, including the one where they were promoted to the conference. will never forget: 'conference, here we come, conference conference here we come'

surreal.

barnet - always used to go them on champ man, somehow attached to them.

and kinda also blackburn, my grandad's father and brother played for them...though i can't stand allardyce.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    First and foremost, Southport FC, who are pushing for promotion to the Football Conference...my dad grew up there for a while and is pretty daft about them and passed on the torch.

In the EPL, Everton. Got my gran to blame for that one, her dad took her to see Dixie Dean score his record winning goal at Goodison, and I just think they're great. Lot of respect for Moyes as well as most of the players.

Incidentally, I'm wanting Arsenal to win the title this year, as I can't stand Man Utd or Chelsea.

Newcastle

@hibs.net private member gogs_t's Avatar
    I was on the stadium tour last summer and prior to showing a video, Billy went round everybody in the room asking if they had a favourite English team. The surprising result was Everton had more backing than anybody else! Due to a close friends influence - Everton for me as well.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HFC Owain
    Quote Originally Posted by gogs_t View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was on the stadium tour last summer and prior to showing a video, Billy went round everybody in the room asking if they had a favourite English team. The surprising result was Everton had more backing than anybody else! Due to a close friends influence - Everton for me as well.
    For me my second team is Cardiff but they are not English so Man United although I do like Everton and Sheffield Wednesday because of friends.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Newcastle

But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

West Ham United. A friend I worked with was an Iron and everyone else was a Pool or MU fan and so I started keeping track of the Hammers results and goings on to talk to him at work and he kept track of the mighty Hibs.

Norwich City, due to my father in law (he grew up in Norfolk) - got him adopted the Hibees as his second team.
    Could probably be doing with someone like Grant Holt or Wes Hoolahan from there just now!

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Newcastle

First Team Regular WarringtonHibee's Avatar
    Liverpool is my English team, I'm not far from Anfield.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Sunderland. My mum has friends down there and they were always getting me merchandise and it's sort of stuck.

I prefer Man Utd to the other big teams for a couple of reasons, mainly because I like Fergie and I've been to a Man Utd game(comp tickets through Mastercard ).

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    West Ham. Always have been always will be

^^^^ Good lad ^^^^.

I support a well supported (by Scottish standards) team from the east end of the capital city (the more working class cide of the city). My team has the potential to be big and successful but has consistently underachieved since god was a boy. My team has good passionate supporters, although they also had a bad reputation back in the day. My team has a neighbouring club that thinks it's massive as a result of their constant overspending for the rare chance of success, but everyone laughs at them for being deluded idiots. My club has a (debatable) repuation for playing good football and bringing through top class youngsters, who always end up playing at a higher level for rival clubs.

Basically, it's not too hard to work out why West Ham appeal to me, unfortunately though I've never been. Me and my brother were going to get some transport down for a West Ham game this year but it was too expensive and we wouldn't have been able to get back that night, it was Millwall in the cup! Some first game that would've been, this sounds terrible but after seeing the scenes I'd still have liked to have gone.

Supported Manchester United as a kid and went to see them play Chelsea at Old Trafford, but thankfully I realised how stupid it was for someone from Edinburgh to call themselves a United "fan", and grew out of it.

Oh yeah and Everton I also like. The reason for this is that when my dad was living in Liverpool me and my brother went down to Anfield one summers day to do the stadium tour. The place was swarming with Japanese tourists and when we asked about the tour they said it was booked up for a week and it was some ridiculously expensive price.

We took the advice of some friendly old geezer we got talking to on the bus on the way down and went to Goodison instead. Now in all honesty Goodison Park is a bit of a dump but it was such a contrast to Anfield in the way that when we got there the staff asked us where we were from, had a chat and let us walk around Goodison Park for free! Everton fans must hate the media wankathon over Liverpool, they're a much more genuine club imo.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Toffees for me Best friend is an evertonian, and I have been to see them quite a few times now.

Always keep an eye out for Crewe too as I lived there for 13 years

@hibs.net private member
    Leeds, former season ticket holder, currently club member

First Team Breakthrough Virginia Hibs's Avatar
    Having had Leeds as my English club since I was a wee laddie in the 70's (Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, et al and they pennant things that kept their socks up with the numbers on them ) I've tended to adopt a local team in all the places I've lived since leaving Edinburgh.
    Man City, Rochdale are all results I look out for but for the past couple of years and now that the laddie has been showing an interest in football we have had season tickets at Norwich. Season ticket holder, yes, are they my club? No! Once a Hibee always a Hibee

Spurs