hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How have Dundee United done it? (merged)

Watching United v the Huns tonight, its plain what attributes they have that Hibs patently do not - physical presence and fight. Every one of their players is competing for the ball and winning their one to one battles all over the pitch. None of them are bothered about getting kicked or end up on their erkies in order to compete. They are putting a shift in and - even if it doesn't come off - just keep on going. Impressive effort.

Compare that to this current bunch of Hibs weak-minded, lazy midgets and IMHO we don't have a hope of getting 3rd place. DUFC are much better kitted out for Europe and the run in.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watching United v the Huns tonight, its plain what attributes they have that Hibs patently do not - physical presence and fight. Every one of their players is competing for the ball and winning their one to one battles all over the pitch. None of them are bothered about getting kicked or end up on their erkies in order to compete. They are putting a shift in and - even if it doesn't come off - just keep on going. Impressive effort.

Compare that to this current bunch of Hibs weak-minded, lazy midgets and IMHO we don't have a hope of getting 3rd place. DUFC are much better kitted out for Europe and the run in.
    True, but their defence is slow if WE played the right players in the right positions we have the pace to get in behind them.

Why not play bamba holding role, Murray and miller centre mid? Two ball winners and a passer. Zemmana if fit one wing and Galbraith on other. Stokes up front so zemmana / Galbraith can create for him. Defence - McCormack , hanlon, hogg and Stevenson.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

How long have they had to put that team together?

Coaching Staff
    Played them off the park at ER this season with pace, guile and Zemmama at full pelt. Riordan missed from a yard out to make it 2-0 too. They are beatable but they are brimming with confidence, we aint.

Quote Originally Posted by York Hibees View Post
    True, but their defence is slow if WE played the right players in the right positions we have the pace to get in behind them.

Why not play bamba holding role, Murray and miller centre mid? Two ball winners and a passer. Zemmana if fit one wing and Galbraith on other. Stokes up front so zemmana / Galbraith can create for him. Defence - McCormack , hanlon, hogg and Stevenson.
    Agreed, but they are big, physical, don't piss about and do the basics well. That's what you need in defenders. Let the others play the football.

Absolutely love that team Attacking 451.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar

Typical overreaction to current problems at Hibs. I actually think DU have quite a good balance, but you make it sound like there's a huge gulf between them and us.

Last time I looked they were 2 points ahead of us in the SPL, and don't forget they've had their 'moments' this season aswell (eg - 7v1 at Ibrox against 10 men).

Lifelong Hibby Danny Swanson just come on for the Arabs.

Would be a good signing, except he's only 5'6", would be castigated as a 'hobbit', 'never Hibs Class' and 'not the Matty Jack-type we so badly need'.

Stay where you are Danny

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Lifelong Hibby Danny Swanson just come on for the Arabs.

Would be a good signing, except he's only 5'6", would be castigated as a 'hobbit', 'never Hibs Class' and 'not the Matty Jack-type we so badly need'.

Stay where you are Danny
    Utd's midfield is generally Swanson, Gomis, Buaben and Conway. Hardly the land of the giants but let's continue to blame us having a small midfield for all our problems. Didn't seem an issue pre Xmas.

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar

The Strength of Dundee United.....

....Allied to Hibs flair(?) could be the perfect balance in Scottish Football!!.....at least for us Hibbees!!!

John Hughes must take this on board!..... for his ethos?......surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Utd's midfield is generally Swanson, Gomis, Buaben and Conway. Hardly the land of the giants but let's continue to blame us having a small midfield for all our problems. Didn't seem an issue pre Xmas.
    Right now most of the posters on here see all things negative with regard to Hibs set up and pick all the positives when looking at other SPL sides.

Arabs bossed midfield - didn't surrender it!

And TWO up front!

Just hope Yogi was watching and learning!

Aye Craig Brown is suddenly up there with Capello and Hearts have loads of promising youngsters.
    By the same token, the most frustrating aspect of our recent malaise is that IMO we do have better players than our non OF rivals. So why can they not produce?

What about giving Booth a go at Left back??

Aye Craig Brown is suddenly up there with Capello and Hearts have loads of promising youngsters.
    By the same token, the most frustrating aspect of our recent malaise is that IMO we do have better players than our non OF rivals. So why can they not produce?
    I dont think so, we have some better, maybe 2 or 3, but we dont have a better team than Dundee Urd.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 Mickey Weir View Post
    What about giving Booth a go at Left back??
    why not, give the lad a chance.

I think we have better players that DU, but they have a better team.

First Team Breakthrough HibbyRod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Typical overreaction to current problems at Hibs. I actually think DU have quite a good balance, but you make it sound like there's a huge gulf between them and us.

Last time I looked they were 2 points ahead of us in the SPL, and don't forget they've had their 'moments' this season aswell (eg - 7v1 at Ibrox against 10 men).
    Well amc's

I meant my post to mean that we should adapt some of the DU strength into their mix of our (Hibbees) ethos of Flair football actually!!

meant to be positive for the Hibs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I dont think so, we have some better, maybe 2 or 3, but we dont have a better team than Dundee Urd.
    I would agree they have a more balanced, settled squad but in terms of the first XI, I think we have better players. Gomis, in particular is class though.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

Which all points to a cert away win for United at Easter Road next Wednesday. Not so sure about that.

I don't really buy the not playing for the jersey thing.

3 crucial factors missing at Dingwall last night -confidence, width and pace.

We looked good after we went 1 up, started passing and moving, but couldn't believe how the confidence disappeared when RC equalised.

No outballs in wide areas for either of the full backs and nobody to carry ball quickly from back to front. Deeks must be the slowest wide player in the country and for me young Spoony is really struggling at the moment and needs to be rested.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    We have some better footballers but not competitors. United are grafters and well managed by Houston who has them playing to their strengths. Its no use having all these so called "flair players" playing the "Hibs way" if it makes us a laughing stock. I like to watch attractive football but the "Hibs Way" has won us precious little over the past 60 years and the sooner we realise this the better.

What do we reckon a Utd/Hibs team would be?

__________Smith

___Bamba___Webster___Wilkie

Miller___Gomis___Bauben___Conway

_______Stokes___Daly

?

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bet you Harry Potter is spewing that he left them for Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyRod View Post
    Well amc's

I meant my post to mean that we should adapt some of the DU strength into their mix of our (Hibbees) ethos of Flair football actually!!

meant to be positive for the Hibs!!!!
    No problem with your post HR. It was the OP by ER4ever I was having a go at!

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    We have some better footballers but not competitors. United are grafters and well managed by Houston who has them playing to their strengths. Its no use having all these so called "flair players" playing the "Hibs way" if it makes us a laughing stock. I like to watch attractive football but the "Hibs Way" has won us precious little over the past 60 years and the sooner we realise this the better.
    Nail on the head and all that. I fear Yogi is another idealist like Mowbray who will substitute winning things for playing attacking football. For me John Collins had the correct philosophy in that he believed in both and brought us a trophy in the short time he Managed the Club.

I also think it is a bit rich Yogi slagging off the players about being soft and lacking fight. He signed many of the players in the current squad and he is responsible for motivating them.

If, as they say, the league table doesn't lie then you are correct, however, a difference of 2 points tells me there's not much between the 2 sides.

First Team Breakthrough Long suffering's Avatar

agree with you but we dont have enough good defenders to play with two in midfiled, play bamba stick murray at LB. that defence is incredibly poor.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    If, as they say, the league table doesn't lie then you are correct, however, a difference of 2 points tells me there's not much between the 2 sides.
    I don't think there is that much between the 2 sides, although we are suffering with lack of form at the moment, our better players especially. Couple that with Zemamma's injury, that's why i say they have a better all round team, certainly a better squad than us.

Saying all that, we can still beat them to 3rd place, while that's still possible, we have to go for it.