hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar

pre payment meters

anyone ever had these in their house, we moved into a house the other week and the previous tenant had it but its seems to use the money a lot quicker than our last place. are they more expensive to run or does it just seem like it because you see the money going down rather than getting a bill every so often

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    anyone ever had these in their house, we moved into a house the other week and the previous tenant had it but its seems to use the money a lot quicker than our last place. are they more expensive to run or does it just seem like it because you see the money going down rather than getting a bill every so often
    Sometimes they are used to claim back money owed to the electricity company so make sure you are not being charged for the previous occupiers bills. Apart from that I have no idea if they are more expensive to run.

They cost double or more than direct debit prices. I would reccomend asking the electricity to take it out ASAP and replace it with a standard meter. As mentioned above, make sure they know there is a new tennant and they are not reclaiming charges/arrears from your deposits which the previous tennant has racked up.

cheers, didnt realise they cost so much to run, im defo going to get it taken out

They certainly don't cost double, but they can cost more per unit. Although, I'm sure something was being done to ensure this wasn't the case as it was unfair on those with low incomes, who prepayment meters were meant for in the first place.

If you pass credit vetting, you'll be able to get it taken out and replaced with a credit meter.

I work as an Energy Advisor, yes they usually cost more than for example paying by direct debit, but not always the case. As in previous replies, find out who your fuel supplier is and contact them and give them your details. I can give you relevant numbers if you require. You can go through the screens (press buttons) to ensure there is no debt on the meter from the previous tenant. Some people prefer them even though they are more expensive as you actually see your money disappearing and tend to become more energy efficient i.e switching off lights, not leaving things on stand-by etc.

If you call 0800-512-012 you will get put through to your local energy advice centre who can give you free & impartial advice about grants, changing fuel supplier, cheapest payment methods etc.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Shell7 View Post
    I work as an Energy Advisor, yes they usually cost more than for example paying by direct debit, but not always the case. As in previous replies, find out who your fuel supplier is and contact them and give them your details. I can give you relevant numbers if you require. You can go through the screens (press buttons) to ensure there is no debt on the meter from the previous tenant. Some people prefer them even though they are more expensive as you actually see your money disappearing and tend to become more energy efficient i.e switching off lights, not leaving things on stand-by etc.

If you call 0800-512-012 you will get put through to your local energy advice centre who can give you free & impartial advice about grants, changing fuel supplier, cheapest payment methods etc.

Hope this helps

cheers i will give them a bell when im finished work

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell7 View Post
    Some people prefer them even though they are more expensive as you actually see your money disappearing and tend to become more energy efficient i.e switching off lights, not leaving things on stand-by etc.
    My GF does that, she also likes it because she can't possibly run up a big bill tgat she can't afford.

I dare you to try leaving a light on that you're not using!