hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was right behind your wee brother when it happened and saw the whole incident clear as day. The first thing to say is that the driver looked like there was nothing he could've done about it, the wee lad ran out and the driver stopped quickly and unfortunately hit into the kid. What was disappointing was that when your brother got up the driver shouted at him something the lines of "what the **** you doing", which isn't a nice thing to say to a kid who probably got the shock of his life.

The driver stopped and only drove on when the kid got up, so considering he wasn't at fault for the incident I don't think the driver can be charged with anything. Unless it's a crime to be a complete *****, which he came across as by shouting at your brother. Fair play to him though, your brother just got up and walked on, if that was me when I was his age I would've been crying like a baby.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    back to you, i park the car opposite the loch inn and am amazed people dont even look before they step onto the road at that side st. rather than wait the 5 SECONDS to let a car out the junction.if you are waved acrooss fair enough but it is a road after all.
    Firstly, I am a driver so am not giving this solely from a 'pedestrian' point of view.
    When it comes to the rules of the road, the police/courts act on road traffic law, not the highway code which is nothing more than an advisory leaflet with various points referring to the actual law they are derived from. If you are in a vehicle and someone walks in front of you without looking(don't ask why) you MUST stop or at least attempt to, it 'aint good enough to say the pedestrian walked out without warning.
    Back to your point though, from my own experience when I lived at Gorgie, I do sympathise with your issue of not getting out the side street but I wouldn't imagine you'd get far anyway for the throng of supporters heading in all directions, would it not be more sensible to sit tight and wait and let the masses disperse?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    As far as I am aware, if you are involved in an RTA you are legally obliged to stop. If you track him down the guy will be in big trouble for failing to stop after an accident and exchange details with you.

J
    No legal obligation to stop at the scene, nor is there any obligation to exchange details. The reason being, you wouldn't want a vunerable person stopping and getting out their car in a remote place if they had been involved in an 'accident' with a car 5-up full of big 6' bruisers!
    However, any incident must be reported to to (ideally) the nearest cop-shop within 24hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonTurnbull View Post
    Strange one speedy. So the poor woman who threw herself in front of the Megabus? That was the driver's fault? (totally taking aside the other facts in the case)
    It's a hard one to swallow but the pedestrian was here before the ridden horse/carriage/bike/car whatever.
    Our laws are ancient and based on historical precedencies, whether you agree with it or not, that woman 'may' have lived if it wasn't for that bus or any other vehicle.
    Fact of the matter is, I reckon a VAST amount of low speed accidents between vehicles and pedestrians in towns are caused by the pedestrians unwillingness to cede way to vehicles or be more observant before crossing the carriageway(IMHO), however I don't recall too many cases where the pedestrian is charged, I do know of a few cases where the driver has been negligent and they HAVE been charged/fined/penalised. Part and parcel of having the privelege to drive, and it is a privelege, not a right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister P View Post
    how many people were about?

it sounds like the guy had a look back, saw the wee man get up and hoped he was ok. probably thought " Im no stopping in amoungst several hundreds/dozens of p!ssed off football fans to get my head stomped in, the lad appears to be alright" and decided to stop a bus driver to get him to confirm he was aware of the accident, give his name and address incase needed, and explain he was just not willing to put his neck on the line like that.....maybe even had a hearts scarf on

I know it's illegal what he did, but you can maybe understand his situation just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt here.

Id chase up the bus company, just see if they have any info.
    If the guy does end up being a jambo, post on here and we'll all go round and pay him a visit
    Totally agree with the first paragraph. I probably wouldn't have stopped in a crowd full of pissed off hibees either. And he was on a moped not in a car.

Can't believe no-one's asked Sean if his brother had been drinking?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Firstly, I am a driver so am not giving this solely from a 'pedestrian' point of view.
    When it comes to the rules of the road, the police/courts act on road traffic law, not the highway code which is nothing more than an advisory leaflet with various points referring to the actual law they are derived from. If you are in a vehicle and someone walks in front of you without looking(don't ask why) you MUST stop or at least attempt to, it 'aint good enough to say the pedestrian walked out without warning.
    Back to your point though, from my own experience when I lived at Gorgie, I do sympathise with your issue of not getting out the side street but I wouldn't imagine you'd get far anyway for the throng of supporters heading in all directions, would it not be more sensible to sit tight and wait and let the masses disperse?
    i never said i wouldnt stop, its just that people aren't even looking for cars on that road which imo is far enough from the ground to be walking on the pavement.once your out that bit its a clear road down to mussy as the fans are already starting to disperse so i'll have to disagree.
    anything to take my mind of that pash last night.

I was there. It was an unfortunate incident as the driver didn't necessarily do anything wrong but he shouldn't have reacted the way he did, it seemed instinctive though and he mellowed immediately (probably because a load of already pissed off hibs fans were baying for his blood!).