hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought Lewy was out his depths tbh but there was worse on the park.

I can only assume that Hanlon wasn't fully fit hence Lewy at left back...
    Or why not have Murray where he has done well the majority of the season at Left Back, then either Thicot or McCormack at CB, and Spoon at RB where he has done well all season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jings, I hope Lewis doesn't stray on to Hibs.net tonight to cheer himself up after the Derby defeat.

He'll need counselling.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    Jings, I hope Lewis doesn't stray on to Hibs.net tonight to cheer himself up after the Derby defeat.

He'll need counselling.
    Alternatively he might stray onto Hibs.net and be motivated to GIRU us and prove us all wrong. I really hope so because as the OP himself said, he's one of the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post

He'll need counselling.
    He'd be daft as well as gash to do that, even without this thread

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Lewis sould have been loaned out to another club where he wouldn`t be shunted from one position to the next and have to watch Rankin running about like a headless chicken from the bench, regarding his booting the ball up the park, when players in front of you are putting themselves in positions where they don`t want the ball, what is the alternative, to get caught in posession?
    For the record he wouldn`t be in my first eleven and i feel he hasn`t taken his chance when he`s been picked for the first team which coincidentally doesn`t help when the whole team is having a mare!
    Oh jeez- so the reason his performances are sub-standard is because he's watched Rankin whilst sitting on the bench? Or because the rest of the team are always terrible when he plays? Can you think of any more bizarre excuses? You certainly wouldnt be looking for excuses after a poor performance by Rankin or Hogg.

The one about other players not wanting to receive the ball hence all the hoofing made me laugh as Lewis himself has the old hiding behind the marker trick off to a fine art. There are many occasions he could easily try a forward pass but it's generally backwards or hoof.

IIRC you have stated several times that you think Stevenson is Hibs first 11 material and in centre midfield at that.

If anyone seriously still goes with all this 'all he needs is a run' nonsense then I'm willing to bet that he'll never play at a higher level than he does now.

First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson was run in to the ground today. He worked his socks off. Considering he is not a left back, I think he did well. Maybe Liam Miller should look at the effort Lewis and Ian Murray put into a performance and try to replicate it!

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    Oh jeez- so the reason his performances are sub-standard is because he's watched Rankin whilst sitting on the bench? Or because the rest of the team are always terrible when he plays? Can you think of any more bizarre excuses? You certainly wouldnt be looking for excuses after a poor performance by Rankin or Hogg.

The one about other players not wanting to receive the ball hence all the hoofing made me laugh as Lewis himself has the old hiding behind the marker trick off to a fine art. There are many occasions he could easily try a forward pass but it's generally backwards or hoof.

IIRC you have stated several times that you think Stevenson is Hibs first 11 material and in centre midfield at that.

If anyone seriously still goes with all this 'all he needs is a run' nonsense then I'm willing to bet that he'll never play at a higher level than he does now.
    I can always count on you and Andy 74 to comebck with your obviously far superior knowledge of football, if it helps you both and makes you feel better you could spend a couple of days trawling through my previous posts on Hibs and come to the conclusion that you take my posts far too seriously, quite a lot of the time i have opinions and quite a lot of the time i`m wrong, anyhow you also might be happy to know that Yogi doesn`t call me up and ask for advice, finally take it easy kid and remember not everybody is hanging on to your every utterance and try to use the word bizarre in its proper context.

Yours Truly Churchy

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar

You're dislike of LS appears to have no bounds.

You must have been licking your lips when you saw the OP.

FWIW there are a number of players in the current Hibs squad who will not play at a higher level than they do right now - Stack, Hogg, Rankin, Nish and Benji all spring to mind. Doesn't necessarily make them bad players.

as the OP suggested,Lewis treated the ba' like the proverbial hot tattie,his saving grace being that he cleared the said tattie from the 6 yard box on a few occasions.that ,to me is not enough for a left back. btw,did he get that haircut by the cooncil?

My ratings for a defensive midfielder, neither weighted nor prioritised

• Heart - 8/10
    • Fitness - 9/10
    • Speed - 5/10
    • Two-footedness - 1/10
    • Heading ability - 2/10
    • Tackling ability - 3/10 (affected by his one-footedness)
    • Ball control - 3/10
    • Scoring ability - 0/10
    • Passing ability - short passes - 4/10
    • Passing ability - Long passes - 2/10
    • Creative passes - 3/10
    • Ability to beat a man - 3/10
    Last edited by RIP; 22-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 49years a Hibee View Post
    My ratings for a defensive midfielder, neither weighted nor prioritised

• Heart - 8/10
    • Fitness - 9/10
    • Speed - 5/10
    • Two-footedness - 1/10
    • Heading ability - 2/10
    • Tackling ability - 3/10 (affected by his one-footedness)
    • Ball control - 3/10
    • Scoring ability - 0/10
    • Passing ability - short passes - 4/10
    • Passing ability - Long passes - 2/10
    • Creative passes - 3/10
    • Ability to beat a man - 3/10

Is this how you rate stevenson in that position or just that position in general

Wink

I can always count on you and Andy 74 to comebck with your obviously far superior knowledge of football, if it helps you both and makes you feel better you could spend a couple of days trawling through my previous posts on Hibs and come to the conclusion that you take my posts far too seriously, quite a lot of the time i have opinions and quite a lot of the time i`m wrong, anyhow you also might be happy to know that Yogi doesn`t call me up and ask for advice, finally take it easy kid and remember not everybody is hanging on to your every utterance and try to use the word bizarre in its proper context.

Yours Truly Churchy
    ah Churchy- sounds like there's only one of us taking this too seriously and it's not me. I've genuinely never felt the need to go through any of your old posts though- I thought most of them were cut and paste to be honest

If you genuinely don't want your posts to be taken seriously and it's not just you spitting the dummy you should maybe make better use of all the smilies available.

ah Churchy- sounds like there's only one of us taking this too seriously and it's not me. I've genuinely never felt the need to go through any of your old posts though- I thought most of them were cut and paste to be honest

If you genuinely don't want your posts to be taken seriously and it's not just you spitting the dummy you should maybe make better use of all the smilies available.
    Most of my posts are cut and paste, i don`t care about my posts being taken seriously but it is annoying when they are not read properly, i`ve retrieved my dummy tit, now clean your specs and have a nice day.

@hibs.net private member
    Not nonsense at all- it's a physical game and small players need other attributes to contribute.

The truth is, a big strong lump with little ability can actually make a decent living out of the game if they're smart enough- their size and strength can be an attribute on it's own.

You must be kidding me if you cant think of limited players who are tall who've done ok simply because of their nuisance value.

Absolutely comical that Messi's used as an example in a Lewis Stevenson thread. Just surprised Xavi and Iniesta havent been mentioned yet.
    How about Nish v Stokes or Nish v Riordan? Nish every time?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    While a good big man will probably go further in the game, than a good little man. All we are seeing regarding Lewis is a small player, who's ability is average, he does give his all, but at the end of the day, endeavour can get you so far, in fact it can get you a lot further than your ability deserves.

He's just an average player, who had a couple of decent games early in his career. Because we had a few real quality ones come before him, he was tagged as the next one on the conveyor belt. Its not happened for him, he's not progressed as we hoped he would. A loan period, with regular football might help, but my gut feelings are he's not good enough to take us on.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    While a good big man will probably go further in the game, than a good little man. All we are seeing regarding Lewis is a small player, who's ability is average, he does give his all, but at the end of the day, endeavour can get you so far, in fact it can get you a lot further than your ability deserves.

He's just an average player, who had a couple of decent games early in his career. Because we had a few real quality ones come before him, he was tagged as the next one on the conveyor belt. Its not happened for him, he's not progressed as we hoped he would. A loan period, with regular football might help, but my gut feelings are he's not good enough to take us on.
    This is a fair assesment imo and as usual irrespective of criticism Hibs fans arer always surely hoping that their players come good rather than see them fail.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    How about Nish v Stokes or Nish v Riordan? Nish every time?

why, nish doesnt win many balls in the air, doesnt hold the ball up very well, cant run very fast, blowing out his erse after an hour, doesnt score many goals. But aye I can see why you would want someone lke him in the team

First Team Regular DaniAndersson's Avatar
    I posted some time ago about Stevenson, think it was at the start of the season, about how I felt he should be loaned out to a lower SPL club or First Division side. The lad needs confidence, and he also needs to discover where his best position is. He gets shunted around from central midfield to left back and that's not going to help him.

There is a good player locked away in there, remember his emergence under John Collins. Perhaps he's stagnated at Hibs, perhaps the tactics we use don't suit him (think he'd be handy in a five-man midfield) or perhaps he needs a run in the team in the same position to build up a rapport with fellow midfielders/defenders. Hughes is the man to answer that question.

For what it's worth, I think he's been average for the last two seasons and would benefit from moving on. I stand by the fact that there's a talented player in there, but he's behind Miller, McBride, Cregg and Rankin for me in midfield, and Hanlon and Murray are better options at left-back.

This is a fair assesment imo and as usual irrespective of criticism Hibs fans arer always surely hoping that their players come good rather than see them fail.
    I have my doubts churchy, certain players, and the manager imho have enemy's for want of a better word amongst the hibs support, and a hat trick in the cup final wouldn't change their minds.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    why, nish doesnt win many balls in the air, doesnt hold the ball up very well, cant run very fast, blowing out his erse after an hour, doesnt score many goals. But aye I can see why you would want someone lke him in the team
    He's tall - wins every time apparently.

Coaching Staff
    Stevenson is a good lad and a trier but quality wise he hasn't pushed on and he doesn't have a long term future at hibs. He'll be a decent player maybe one level down.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I have my doubts churchy, certain players, and the manager imho have enemy's for want of a better word amongst the hibs support, and a hat trick in the cup final wouldn't change their minds.
    There seem to have been a few folk waiting on their oppportunity and the knives are now out. I think some folk are revelling in this poor run of form.

It must have really hit them bad when we went 14 games unbeaten.

Left by mutual consent!
    He's tall - wins every time apparently.

No it doesn't and nobody said that. Are you being deliberately obtuse or can you simply not understand a simple argument

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by number 27 View Post
    No it doesn't and nobody said that. Are you being deliberately obtuse or can you simply not understand a simple argument
    It is indeed a simple argument. A simple one with loads of holes in it.

There seem to have been a few folk waiting on their oppportunity and the knives are now out. I think some folk are revelling in this poor run of form.

It must have really hit them bad when we went 14 games unbeaten.
    But why, that is the question?

Left by mutual consent!
    It is indeed a simple argument. A simple one with loads of holes in it.

You may think so but your point about Nish competely failed to find one.

@hibs.net private member
    You may think so but your point about Nish competely failed to find one.
    I used a Hibs player v Hibs player comparison - any other comparison is ridiculed.

I even used Ian Black as an example of a midget that gets stuck in the other week and that wasn't allowed either. Apparently you need to be tall to get stuck in.

Left by mutual consent!
    I used a Hibs player v Hibs player comparison - any other comparison is ridiculed.

I even used Ian Black as an example of a midget that gets stuck in the other week and that wasn't allowed either. Apparently you need to be tall to get stuck in.

Sorry I'm not looking for a fight I'm just in a really bad mood today-and I cant see it getting better- but do you really think Black is a good example, he gets stuck in but to no great effect as far as I can see.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry I'm not looking for a fight I'm just in a really bad mood today-and I cant see it getting better- but do you really think Black is a good example, he gets stuck in but to no great effect as far as I can see.
    He's an example of a "midget" that gets stuck in. Whether he's good at football isn't the point.

Left by mutual consent!
    He's an example of a "midget" that gets stuck in. Whether he's good at football isn't the point.

No that wasnt what was being said, wee lewis gets stuck in too IMO. The point is about needing pace, power and athleticism if you are going to compensate for limited ability.