hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lewis Stevenson - nice lad, but just doesn't have it.

After his treatment of the ball in possesion today - 1st half especially - and the overall roasting that Spanish waiter gave him, I think it's safe to say that everyone's favourite nice, hard-working player isn't merely suffering in a drop in confidence, but suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept to be much use to the Hibs squad in the medium/long term.

He treated the ball like it was a grenade with a 2 second timer on it, booting it away, anywhere, as soon as he got it, in the first half especially.

Every other player appears to have got their performance criticised and, in the most part, rightly so, but for me Derby Day nerves affected Stevenson the worst, and I think it's time he was dropped, for his own good as much as anything.

Whether at LB or CM, recent performances have been of the calibre that would have seen a certain other small left footed player designated - as if he isn't already - the Hibs.Net "Scapegoat of the Season" a long time ago.

2. Log in to remove the advert

amazing how we played in that cup final compared to where he is now. "should have been a contender" lol

he was there to save stack on numerous occasions though, i thought there were worse players today

I thought he was one of the better players in the second half, we would have been beaten by ALOT more if he hadn't made 3 or 4 vital tackles/clearences off the line. Not to mention the SUPERB tackle of whatever yam went clean through on goal, he bust a gut got back and made a brilliant tackle to stop what was a certain goal. He may have got roasted but in the second half once again he got the ball outwide, NO support what-so-ever yet still managed to skin that small waiter and get a very good cross in, he seemed to want to push the team on which unlike the rest of the team until we scored seemed missing.

Lets not just pick up on the negatives here, Lewis did'nt exactly have an output once he got the ball as Deek was drifting infield.

I am not sticking up for him here just highlighting the positives from yesterday......

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's only one of many who are not good enough. But he is part of the best squad we have had in some peoples lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After his treatment of the ball in possesion today - 1st half especially - and the overall roasting that Spanish waiter gave him, I think it's safe to say that everyone's favourite nice, hard-working player isn't merely suffering in a drop in confidence, but suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept to be much use to the Hibs squad in the medium/long term.

He treated the ball like it was a grenade with a 2 second timer on it, booting it away, anywhere, as soon as he got it, in the first half especially.

Every other player appears to have got their performance criticised and, in the most part, rightly so, but for me Derby Day nerves affected Stevenson the worst, and I think it's time he was dropped, for his own good as much as anything.

Whether at LB or CM, recent performances have been of the calibre that would have seen a certain other small left footed player designated - as if he isn't already - the Hibs.Net "Scapegoat of the Season" a long time ago.
    100 % correct.

Not sure what Lewis has that protects him from the stick that other players get. To me a player who treats the ball like a hot tattie at this level is a coward and a poor player but very few seem to notice when it's 'wee Lewis'.

Choir boy looks and a couple of decent games amongst great players 3 years ago seems to have given him this immunity and good luck to him as most folk dont want to see players being abused. As you say however- similar performances from Rankin as well as previous guys like Kerr, Chisholm, van Zanten etc would have led to meltdown on hibs.net and vile abuse on the terraces.

This thread will soon be full of posters defending him and blaming other people but the truth is that players of his calibre are the reason we're in the form we are.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 21-03-2010 at 09:21 AM.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar

Regardless of whether or not I agree with your post WTF has his size got to do with his ability.

He's the same size as Lionel Messi.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Regardless of whether or not I agree with your post WTF has his size got to do with his ability.

He's the same size as Lionel Messi.
    Cos if you're small you need to have some other attribute/s to compensate. How many small players have made it in the game without being exceptionally fast, strong, or skillful?

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds

He treated the ball like it was a grenade with a 2 second timer on it
    , booting it away, anywhere, as soon as he got it, in the first half especially.

Been saying this for a long time now, and ive been shot down by some folk in threads that ive mentioned it on. Lewis Stevenson should not be playing for Hibs. As you've said, he's technically inept, so uncomfortable on the ball it's cringeworthy. I think he's in the category of the Ross Chisholm, Ross Campbell type players who are now playing lower league football, thats where i feel he's destined for. He just doesnt have it to be pulling on a Hibs shirt, we need abit more quality in there. Hanlon should have been playing yesterday instead of him IMO, but we still need to strengthen the defence/left midfield area pronto!

Quote Originally Posted by HailHail1875 View Post
    I think he's in the category of the Ross Chisholm, Ross Campbell type players
    I posted last season that there was little to choose between Chisholm - who was almost universally seen as awful on here, and Stevenson. The suggestion was pretty much ridiculed by certain high profile posters and I was told that Lewis was 'light years ahead' of Chisholm. Well I dont think so.

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    Defensively, when things were a total mess, he was one of the best of a bad bunch in the 2nd half. Some great interventions when it looked like the poorest Hearts team in maybe 20 yrs with NO decent strikers or attacking midfielders, threatened to pump a few more goals in.

Agree, his distribution was mostly quite appalling and he did get skinned a few times but where were the big performances of Bamba et al? You know, the guy worth several million and destined for the EPL next season?

If there's a problem, it isn't with Stevenson. It's with Hughes. He picks the team, watches the guys in training and decides the tactics. I fail to believe Stevenson plays like a world beater in training and then acts differently during game time.

The problem is too many players, Stevenson included, won't take Hibs further than 3rd (at best) to maybe 6th with a few cup runs thrown in. I'm not entirely convinced there will be a BIG clear out during the summer as I don't think there will be sufficient money to make improvements which are sufficiently worthwhile.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Quote Originally Posted by 1two View Post
    he was there to save stack on numerous occasions though, i thought there were worse players today
    Stack.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    100 % correct.

Not sure what Lewis has that protects him from the stick that other players get. To me a player who treats the ball like a hot tattie at this level is a coward and a poor player but very few seem to notice when it's 'wee Lewis'.

Choir boy looks and a couple of decent games amongst great players 3 years ago seems to have given him this immunity and good luck to him as most folk dont want to see players being abused. As you say however- similar performances from Rankin as well as previous guys like Kerr, Chisholm, van Zanten etc would have led to meltdown on hibs.net and vile abuse on the terraces.

This thread will soon be full of posters defending him and blaming other people but the truth is that players of his calibre are the reason we're in the form we are.
    Coward?!? Were u at the game yeah? Was no better/worse than anyone else yesterday so doesnt deserve to be singled out! Wheres the Miller or Mcbride threads? Neither of them were better than Stevenson! But hey, we are Hibs and we need a scapegoat eh.

Cos if you're small you need to have some other attribute/s to compensate. How many small players have made it in the game without being exceptionally fast, strong, or skillful?
    That's just nonsense. Answer the question what's height got to do with ability ?

How many tall players have 'made it' without being fast, strong or skiful ?

That's just nonsense. Answer the question what's height got to do with ability ?

Just Nade.

Sadly have to agree with OP. Lewis has been living off early potential and his brilliant performance 3 years ago for long enough. IMHO he's not even good enough as a back-up player let alone playing a key position in our first team defence. Too small, couldn't tackle (for the most part), got pulled out of position so many times, and was taken to the cleaners by the Spanish guy who is a mediocre winger. Size has a lot to do with it when your a defender up against guys like Obua. Lost count of the number of times yesterday when a throw in or forward pass by the Yams went over Stephenson's head and took him out of the game. Just compare Lewis to Lee Wallace - a chasm of difference in class and stature

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Coward?!? Were u at the game yeah? Was no better/worse than anyone else yesterday so doesnt deserve to be singled out! Wheres the Miller or Mcbride threads? Neither of them were better than Stevenson! But hey, we are Hibs and we need a scapegoat eh.
    Nothing to do with needing a scapegoat- I dont abuse players at the game, but someone started a thread on a forum about a particular player so I commented.

Watched the game on tv yesterday but have probably witnessed 95% of Lewis's appearances in the flesh if that helps.

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Yesterday View Post
    Just Nade.
    Yeah, and with the football - sorry hoofball - we played yesterday we are likely to have had more success with Nade wearing a green shirt (abit like the hulk really - ripping at the seams).

Not nonsense at all- it's a physical game and small players need other attributes to contribute.

The truth is, a big strong lump with little ability can actually make a decent living out of the game if they're smart enough- their size and strength can be an attribute on it's own.

You must be kidding me if you cant think of limited players who are tall who've done ok simply because of their nuisance value.

Absolutely comical that Messi's used as an example in a Lewis Stevenson thread. Just surprised Xavi and Iniesta havent been mentioned yet.

Left by mutual consent!

Of course height has nothing to do with ability, but in a league where so many players are of a broadly similar standard then the tall, strong, athletic players will come out on top of the short, lightweight ones.

It is wrong to single out one player perhaps but Lewis suffers from being one of a number of Hibs players who will always be physically outmatched. Unless we finally address this we will continue to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    Sadly have to agree with OP. Lewis has been living off early potential and his brilliant performance 3 years ago for long enough. IMHO he's not even good enough as a back-up player let alone playing a key position in our first team defence. Too small, couldn't tackle (for the most part), got pulled out of position so many times, and was taken to the cleaners by the Spanish guy who is a mediocre winger. Size has a lot to do with it when your a defender up against guys like Obua. Lost count of the number of times yesterday when a throw in or forward pass by the Yams went over Stephenson's head and took him out of the game. Just compare Lewis to Lee Wallace - a chasm of difference in class and stature
    There's also a chasm of difference in class between Lee Wallace and the best left back in the UK. Same size as LS - 5ft 7ins - Ashley Cole.

I'm not defending LS just don't think size has anything to do with ability.

I'm not defending LS just don't think size has anything to do with ability.
    I think you're missing the point mate- nobody is saying size has anything to do with ability.

Not nonsense at all- it's a physical game and small players need other attributes to contribute.

The truth is, a big strong lump with little ability can actually make a decent living out of the game if they're smart enough- their size and strength can be an attribute on it's own.

You must be kidding me if you cant think of limited players who are tall who've done ok simply because of their nuisance value.

Absolutely comical that Messi's used as an example in a Lewis Stevenson thread. Just surprised Xavi and Iniesta havent been mentioned yet.
    Why is it comical? I'm arguing the point that size has nothing to do with ability.

He's the best example of a player in the modern game to support my point.

I liked Stevenson when he broke through into the first team and thought he had a lot of potential but I have to admit he has stagnated at Hibs and a move away may be best. Unlike some though I think there is a decent player in there just a case that he perhaps needs regular football.

I think you're missing the point mate- nobody is saying size has anything to do with ability.
    Have you read OP.

Quote 'he (LS) suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept'.

The OP's entitled to his view regarding LS's ability. I just don't think it has anything to do with his size.

I'm glad that you agree, size has nothing to do with ability!

Left by mutual consent!
    Have you read OP.

Quote 'he (LS) suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept'.

The OP's entitled to his view regarding LS's ability. I just don't think it has anything to do with his size.

I'm glad that you agree, size has nothing to do with ability!

Sorry but I think you are missing the point. You can be too small or you can be inept but you cannot get away with both. Lewis would be fine with the ability he has if only he was bigger and stronger.

Therefore, like it or not, size matters.

@hibs.net private member
    He is a decent player more than capable playing the SPL. But he needs a settled run in the team. His confidence is low and is always looking to get rid of the ball as soon as gets it. He works hard and puts the effort in but as a LB he must look to go forward more

Can we please put to bed this myth that Stevenson played like some world-beater 3 seasons ago ? Yes he was NAMED as MOTM against Killie but IMHO he was at best Hibs 6th or 7th best player on the day. He was mentioned by Ian McCaul a few times early in the game, because he was only 19 at the time, and McCaul kept praising him for every little thing he did. Did he score a goal ? No. Did he have any near misses ? No. Any last gasp clearances off the line ? No. A good tidy midfield performance at best; that's all it was. And still 3 years down the line, we keep getting this 'Stevenson was MOTM' rubbish, as some sort of reason for sticking with the guy. Please, any Lewis' defenders, I urge you to watch the whole game again and see what I mean. GGTTH.
    Last edited by crewetollhibee; 21-03-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Skinned for 1st goal
    Stuck to his task despite having a mare.
    Far worse players yesterday he will never be a full back decent squad midfielder
    As for the guy who called him a Coward Grow up FFS Lewis was one of the very few who did commit to his tackles yesterday

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crewetollhibee View Post
    Can we please put to bed this myth that Stevenson played like some world-beater 3 seasons ago ? Yes he was NAMED as MOTM against Killie but IMHO opinion he was at best Hibs 6th or 7th best player on the day. He was mentioned by Ian McCaul a few times early in the game, because he was only 19 at the time, and McCaul kept praising him for every little thing he did. Did he score a goal ? No. Did he have any near misses ? No. Any last gasp clearances off the line ? No. A good tidy midfield performance at best; that's all it was. And still 3 years down the line, we keep getting this 'Stevenson was MOTM' rubbish, as some sort of reason for sticking with the guy. Please, any Lewis' defenders, I urge you to watch the whole game again and see what I mean. GGTTH.
    Well said, its right up there with Andy Mcneils cup winning save, as the biggest myth about that game. Stevensons a tidy player, but not good enough, has not improved enough to get a game in an inferior team. A loan period may help, i have my doubts.