hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Friendliest player you've met who's played for Hibs

A bit similar to the other threads going around at the moment with regards to loving or hating the players.

If you've met any of the players, which do you think has been the friendliest to either you or other fans or anything like that?

For me personally, Every player I've met has been friendly, but the friendliest I think was Martin Canning, we had just finished playing Celtic, and we'd lost 2-0, and I was waiting for my mate outside the main reception, Martin was one of the first people to leave the stadium, so to give me something to do I asked if he would sign my programme. I went over to ask him as he made his way to his car, I said hello and asked him if he would sign it. He greeted me with a hello and asked me how I was, I responded and asked the same question, of course his response was not all that positive given that we lost the game but it was good to actually have a chat with him as normally when you see people asking for signatures or anything like that, the players sign whatever it is they are handed and then they just go. So it was a nice touch I thought.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Quote Originally Posted by HibeeUnderwood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bit similar to the other threads going around at the moment with regards to loving or hating the players.

If you've met any of the players, which do you think has been the friendliest to either you or other fans or anything like that?

For me personally, Every player I've met has been friendly, but the friendliest I think was Martin Canning, we had just finished playing Celtic, and we'd lost 2-0, and I was waiting for my mate outside the main reception, Martin was one of the first people to leave the stadium, so to give me something to do I asked if he would sign my programme. I went over to ask him as he made his way to his car, I said hello and asked him if he would sign it. He greeted me with a hello and asked me how I was, I responded and asked the same question, of course his response was not all that positive given that we lost the game but it was good to actually have a chat with him as normally when you see people asking for signatures or anything like that, the players sign whatever it is they are handed and then they just go. So it was a nice touch I thought.
    Maka and Joe Keenan and possibly Clayton Donaldson (altho the swine wouldn't give us some of the poker chips he won )

Over the years I've met and chatted with many Hibs players but the one who fits your question most is Arthur Duncan. A gem of a man, no airs and graces and a genuinely nice man.

Others include Pat Stanton, the late Erich Schaedler and Lawrie Reilly.
    This is how it feels

The great man himself, Eddie Turnbull was phenomenal and chatted away to me like old buddies as he signed his book in Waterstones. I had a great chat with Stuart lovell on a 16 bus last year as he made his way down to Leith to see another Hibby. He was super friendly and gave me an insight into Mixu and other behind-the-scenes stuff at ER.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    met nick colgan a couple of times and he was a good guy, seem to really like the hibs and his toddler son, REALLY hated the hearts

Also met alan orman through my work a few times and...well thats probably best left for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Over the years I've met and chatted with many Hibs players but the one who fits your question most is Arthur Duncan. A gem of a man, no airs and graces and a genuinely nice man.

Forgot to mention Pat Stanton was another one as well

Met him a few of times, and he's always been more than happy to chat and he is very good with faces as well, makes you feel stupid if you ask him if he remembers who you are though

King Paddy - he has a thousand football stories and loves to talk about Hibs and the game in general.

An absolute gentleman, with no airs and graces whatsoever.

Paul Kane good lad, Garry O, John Collins, Gareth Evans - one drunken night in deepest Hungary, Lawrie Reilly pure gentleman, John Burridge always had time for a natter waiting for train back south, Jackie Macnamara and Ralph Callachan always have time for a chat,

i met derek riordan & despite his reputation he was a very nice bloke

i've met a few overtime but Graeme Smith was a recent one & he was a really nice guy, seemed to actually care about playing for Hibs, wish that could be said for some others in the squad.

jimmy o'rourke,

sitting in the silver wing a couple of years ago with two jambo mates, jimmy was at the same table, out of the blue jimmys turned to my 2 mates and said
    " i know your dying to ask, so i'm going to tell yous, it was the first and the sixth."
    pure class

Coaching Staff
    Murdo MacLeod, strangely enough when he was with Celtic and injured, before a Hibs v Celtic game. Was taking penalties in a competition at the time and waiting in the tunnel to run out. He came up and for no particular reason started chatting away, asking who I supported and took a real interest. I think I said words to the effect that I hoped Charlie Nicholas didn't score, as he was in line to get the Golden Boot at the time..............Murdo without flinching said "don't worry son, I'll nip into the changing rooms and tell him to wait until next week to score", then waited until I ran back in afterwards and said well done. Great day that as well. Scored both my pens right in front of the Dunbar end. Shame it was full of Celtic fans In more adult life, Eddie Turnbull, who I still see and blether with now and again. A true football legend.

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jst_5 View Post
    jimmy o'rourke,

sitting in the silver wing a couple of years ago with two jambo mates, jimmy was at the same table, out of the blue jimmys turned to my 2 mates and said
    " i know your dying to ask, so i'm going to tell yous, it was the first and the sixth."
    pure class

That's probably my favourite quote ever, let's face it if you were him you would say that to EVERY jambo you ever met!

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jst_5 View Post
    jimmy o'rourke,

pure class

First Team Breakthrough the happy hibee's Avatar
    I would have to say david murphy spoke to him after a game once and he was such a nice guy took an intrest in me which he didnt have to and someone who really enjoyed playing for hibs and really seemed to have a lot of affection for the club to! from the happy hibee son colin

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cod Flanders
    Met Grant Brebner on George Street about 3 years ago, both having had a few and when I told him I was a Hibby he gave me a hug and talked about his wish to play for us a again.

Also met Kevin McCann in Malia in June 2007 and he was a top bloke. We were the first (and only I think) people to recognise him and chatted away for hours. Bought us all a drink even though he wasn't drinking and talked about how he felt he hadn't quite made it as a footballer yet. Everytime we saw him from then on, he stopped to have a chat. Good guy

I was standing outside Easter Road a few hours before a game with my kids when Andy Walker came up the road and he did a huge body swerve and went in the gates. I wasn't impressed then Chic Charnley sauntered up the road looking dapper and came straight up to the kids and chatted away to them and asked them if they were looking forward to the game. Off he went smiling and my kids were delighted.

Matty Jack was the other. Met him at a soul night and reminded him of the game against Dundee United where DU were time wasting time right up to the last minute. Matty should have really kicked the ball out but went for it and we scored a goal in the last minute. We both had a good laugh about that one.

Meeting Gary O'Connor at the Cube back then wasn't great either. There were rumours he might sign for the Old Firm so I said I hope you're still with us in the summer to which he replied "**** Off". He was a charming laddy.

Met Jimmy Boco around town once or twice, allways had a massive big smile on his face and seemed to be happy to chat or have his photo taken with all those asking.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Ivan Sproule very nice man. Kevin Mcbride as well Wotherspoon seems like a nice down to earth guy as well.

Had a couple of drinks with Michael O'Neill and his missus and he was a top bloke and refreshingly honest..... he had just got the job as Brechin manager and was telling about the pitflls of being a manager... a top top bloke.

First Team Breakthrough stanton_4's Avatar

Joe T

Met Joe Tortelano at a mates wedding and he was a great guy. There was this bloke from the wedding band that was doing my nut in at the bar boasting about playing in front of 2000 people at The Usher Hall. I turned to Joe and asked him what the biggest crowd was he'd played in front of...
    "62,000, Scottish Cup against Celtic at Hampden" says Joe.
    Let's just say the guys gas was at a peep!

Met Shades when I was a lad and he was cool. Also lived next door to Jimmy O'rourke when he owned The Corstorphine Inn. Gem of a man.

Michael Stewart, gem of a guy.

Out of the current batch Lewis Stevenson, Met him a couple years ago and hadn't seen him in about 6 months after that yet still recognised me and since then allways happily chatting away to me about everything. Very decent guy. Has a very dodgy taste in clothes though (I hope your reading this mate)

Kevin Thompson

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: magseven7
    Russell Latapy by far, what a great guy he was. Seen him outside Bamboo nightclub in Glasgow a couple of years back and joined him for a smoke. He chatted away and was unbelieveably down to earth.

Eddie Turnbull can tell a story or two, and Ian Murray seemed like a decent lad as well.

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

My mums cousin, who used to take me to my first games, got on really well with Arthur and he gave her his old purple bukta tracksuit top, which she then passed on to me. Still got it but no idea where. I met him a few times and he was always a top bloke.

@hibs.net private member johnrebus's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh ? Wii Code: What ?
    Lawrie Reilly

Pat Stanton

Tony Higgins

Murdo McLeod

George McCluskey

But the best of them all was the late Bobby Smith whom I met as a player at his first stint at ER a few times.

RIP Bobby.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Lewis Stevenson

I used to run a nightclub that was popular with the Hibs squad and whilst some where a total embarassment to our club, Lewis Stevenson was always a total gent. He was rediculously polite and was always embarassed to to come to the front of the queue to get the VIP treatment. Quite often I'd have to go and get him from the back of the queue and take him straight in. Always acknowledged the staff and made a point of thanking everyone on the way in and out. A really nice guy.

Left by mutual consent!
    Paul Fenwick was a really nice guy. He was angry with the way he was treated at the end but made the distinction betwen the people making decisions and the club itself.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Sauzee

Lewis Stevenson and Kevin McCann were two of the nicest, most unassuming people you'd ever wish to meet.

Boozy was the same and also very very funny